SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

I Am Really Going To Miss Jack Campbell

Jul. 12, 2022 at 4:31 p.m.
Amirov Forever
As the FA deadline grows closer, so does the dread of Campbell leaving the Leafs. Most nights he was spectacular for us. He has been one of my favourite goalies in the league since we got him. I remember watching a Leafs game (I believe it was his first start, but I could be wrong) against the Habs where we lost 2 - 1 in the shootout (weirdly enough it was Kovalchuk who won it for the Habs. Remember when he was a Hab? Me neither). Jack was so, so good and that was the game where I knew we had a guy. He broke a league record for most consecutive wins to start a season. He is a great dude and was just so much fun to watch. I get its a business and I understand why this has to happen, but man it sucks. 2 straight seasons of losing a fan favourite to the Coilers. I wish Jack the best.

That being said, I am pumped for Matt Murray. He was (and still is) a top 3 favourite goalie of mine. Maybe a bit of bias because he and I are both from Thunder Bay, but he's just so much fun. Also if / when Matt Murray finds his game and carries us, that redemption story will be one for the ages. Can't wait to see what the future holds
Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 12, 2022 at 4:36 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jul. 16, 2022 at 3:18 a.m.
Quoting: Nathaniel
As the FA deadline grows closer, so does the dread of Campbell leaving the Leafs. Most nights he was spectacular for us. He has been one of my favourite goalies in the league since we got him. I remember watching a Leafs game (I believe it was his first start, but I could be wrong) against the Habs where we lost 2 - 1 in the shootout (weirdly enough it was Kovalchuk who won it for the Habs. Remember when he was a Hab? Me neither). Jack was so, so good and that was the game where I knew we had a guy. He broke a league record for most consecutive wins to start a season. He is a great dude and was just so much fun to watch. I get its a business and I understand why this has to happen, but man it sucks. 2 straight seasons of losing a fan favourite to the Coilers. I wish Jack the best.

That being said, I am pumped for Matt Murray. He was (and still is) a top 3 favourite goalie of mine. Maybe a bit of bias because he and I are both from Thunder Bay, but he's just so much fun. Also if / when Matt Murray finds his game and carries us, that redemption story will be one for the ages. Can't wait to see what the future holds

Gonna miss him but people didnt want to keep him at 5mill x 5 saying he wasnt worth it and it seems management didnt believe that either

Murray at 4.68 x 2 years is a tough pill to swallow but at least if he is average to meh then its only 2 years of worrying about it vs 5 or 6 years at 5 to 6mill

Also lines us better when Working and Hellybuyck are ufas
Jul. 13, 2022 at 12:01 p.m.
Was never sold on the guy. He had moments of great hockey... and moments of "How are you in the NHL"?
He found a spot because Anderson got injured and made good on that.... but it was up and down.
EVeryone talks about how great a guy he was and he took every loss or mistake hard. I personally consider that a problem. Seeing a goaltender break down and cry after a 1st round playoff loss makes me wonder about their emotional stability. Imagine if you will - Campbell signing for 5 million in Toronto then having the wheels fall off AGAIN (sorry guys, last years tumble for Campbell was shockingly bad) and Leaf fans started booing him?
No... a team that is working towards turning the corner on fragile confidence does not need that.
I am certain that part of the acquisition for Murray had a lot to do with poise, experience and pedigree in play-off pressure.
I think the nay-sayers... even the panel "experts" on every hockey program are missing the boat on this one and are stuck in this cycle of "reclamation" project nonsense that drives a media soundbite and are completely missing (or burying) "intangibles" because it's just easier to focus on "injury history". It's lazy reporting and it's being gobbled up by lazy Leafs fans.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 3:47 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Aug. 1, 2022 at 11:49 a.m.
Go Leafs Go!
Na! I'm not!

Good on him for cashing in on Lightning in a bottle.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll