Change: +$3,600,000
Change: +$3,600,000
Change: +$4,000,000
Jul. 13, 2022 at 7:17 p.m.
So much for the Erie otters reunion.
Speak of the Devil
Im sad
Hurricanes_WPG, JackForHart, sensonfire and 3 others liked this.
1-0 them
fair
1-0 them
Quoting: Devil
Im sad

we all are
More Finns More Wins
Announce Pacioretty
Saskleaf, majormoose007, Letang4norris and 2 others liked this.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 7:18 p.m.
What in tarnation
WSH wins
boombadoomba, sensonfire, Gmonwy and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 7:19 p.m.
Yes
This confuses me for the sens. They make a big splash trading for DeBrincat, Talbot, and signing Giroux. Then they give up a valuable player. Confusing. Great deal for the caps though!
Dumpsterfire, sensonfire, Rolfadinho and 3 others liked this.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 7:20 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
This will be the best trade we have made in a while.
sensonfire, boombadoomba, dickie_boon and 4 others liked this.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 7:21 p.m.
Quoting: boombadoomba
This confuses me for the sens. They make a big splash trading for DeBrincat, Talbot, and signing Giroux. Then they give up a valuable player. Confusing. Great deal for the caps though!

There’s no room for him with all the wingers they have, they definitely could’ve gotten a little more though.
sensonfire liked this.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 7:22 p.m.
sensonfire
It amazes me that Pierre Dorion went from being a humpty-dumpty like pariah to the saviour of our team in a matter of days.

Well, here's a reality check:

He just sold himself short ... again.

This is the Mark Stone trade all over again.

Washington wins the trade.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 7:24 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: sensonfire
It amazes me that Pierre Dorion went from being a humpty-dumpty like pariah to the saviour of our team in a matter of days.

I agree Washington won, but Mark Stone all over again?!?! This isn’t close to the Mark Stone trade.
capfriendlyaccount, Chabot4C, Bruins1054_gmb and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 7:25 p.m.

He's not gonna be back and the Sens have other 3rd line options. Ottawa wants to bring in a top 4 D, so they get an asset to presumably flip out in that deal, and they give themselves some financial flexibility.
sensonfire, boombadoomba, Rolfadinho and 4 others liked this.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 7:25 p.m.
A 2nd round draft pick only have about a third chance of playing 100 or more games in the NHL and an equal chance of never playing a single game. Ottawa should have been able to get more.
sensonfire liked this.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 7:28 p.m.
Yes
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
He's not gonna be back and the Sens have other 3rd line options. Ottawa wants to bring in a top 4 D, so they get an asset to presumably flip out in that deal, and they give themselves some financial flexibility.

Good points! I'd still say Washington wins.
sensonfire liked this.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 7:29 p.m.
Sucks they didn't get a little more, but they probably didn't have the best leverage given his open desire to hit the open market, and Ottawa's desire to move him out with no money back.

Not a great deal, but not enough to knock the Pierre Dorion train off the tracks.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 7:29 p.m.
Good points! I'd still say Washington wins.

Oh For sure, Washington does great here
sensonfire liked this.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 7:34 p.m.
Master of Bloodsport
Leaned Wash win but to avoid being called a homer I'll say fair deal.

Ottawa gets an asset and clears space, Caps get a top 6 winger option they needed with Wilson out till at least December but most likely February.
sensonfire liked this.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 7:38 p.m.
yotes own canada
rock the red baby!!!
Jul. 13, 2022 at 9:25 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: sensonfire

Wow.

That is complete hyperbole comparing a third line matchup/defensive winger to Mark Stone, a borderline franchise player.

Connor Brown's career average is 39 points. That takes into consideration that he has played an inflated role by virtue of being on a rebuilding team with poor depth. On a contender, he is a 10-15 goal 25-35 point defensive winger. He is great in that role, but that isn't the kind of player that commands a huge return.

The market is limited when teams cannot take back cap as a function of the trade. Teams would have likely offered more if Ottawa was willing to take back a contract. Ottawa's motivation to trade Brown was to clear 4 million dollars to help fund more important pieces like Debrincat, Giroux, Talbot, and their next big acquisition. Brown was the odd man out because he is unlikely to be re-signed, he will see a decreased role due to the acquisition of actual top 6 forwards, and the Senators added a younger player who can occupy what his role in the middle 6 would be for slightly cheaper in Joseph.

This was a great trade by Dorion. He got an asset, and he cleared 4 million dollars. Similar players to Brown weren't commanding 1st round picks at the trade deadline. Nor were they last year during the off season. Anybody who pays attention to the trends in the league knew Brown wasn't getting anywhere near what some of the Sens fans on here thought was worth. I have never seen such a consistently inflated evaluation of a player's value. The only reason anybody is disappointed with this trade is because they weren't living in reality.

Is it a home run of a return? No. But it is great work to dump Brown in this tight cap environment and get a 2nd round pick.

I assure you that we will hear over the next week that Edmonton dropped out because they wanted Ottawa to take a player like Puljujarvi or someone else in order to equalize the cap.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 9:30 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
A 2nd round draft pick only have about a third chance of playing 100 or more games in the NHL and an equal chance of never playing a single game. Ottawa should have been able to get more.

You cannot look at trades like this in a world where there is a salary cap, and teams do not have the perpetual rights to players.

Draft picks are currency, a store of value. In addition, teams have a finite amount of cap or money they can spend. Which means they sometimes need to cycle out players in order to free up cap or salary to fill more important needs, or to recoup value for a player who they will not be able to re-sign, either because the player won't re-sign or because it is not possible under the cap.
drambui liked this.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 11:43 p.m.
That is the Dorion we know and love.

Welcome back!
Jul. 13, 2022 at 11:50 p.m.
Quoting: budgeteam
Nor were they last year during the off season. Anybody who pays attention to the trends in the league knew Brown wasn't getting anywhere near what some of the Sens fans on here thought was worth. I have never seen such a consistently inflated evaluation of a player's value. The only reason anybody is disappointed with this trade is because they weren't living in reality.

I assure you that we will hear over the next week that Edmonton dropped out because they wanted Ottawa to take a player like Puljujarvi or someone else in order to equalize the cap.

I can agree to this and argued with Sens fans over and over that they werent getting Puljujarvi and a pick. It also wasnt the TDL whereas teams had cap certainty. Made no sense how Sens fans thought they were getting a lehkonen return. They had no leverage.
Jul. 14, 2022 at 1:26 a.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
I can agree to this and argued with Sens fans over and over that they werent getting Puljujarvi and a pick. It also wasnt the TDL whereas teams had cap certainty. Made no sense how Sens fans thought they were getting a lehkonen return. They had no leverage.

The cap is incredibly restrictive right now.

I don't know how on the same day that Max Pacioretty was traded for future considerations, someone can argue that Dorion did poorly by getting a 2nd round pick for a matchup forward who was on pace for 12 goals over 82 games. He did it while dumping 3.6M in cap (4M in real money) and taking nothing back.

Although Pacioretty has a 7M cap hit, he also is a first line power forward who was on pace for 39 goals. Additionally, he only makes 1.25M more than Brown in real money. He has a no trade clause, but it was only a 10 team clause.

The point I am illustrating is that it is very hard to dump players right now without taking back cap. Teams value cap, and there isn't enough cap to go around. Most teams that do have cap do not have the revenue to back it up with real dollars, so they cannot use most of that cap unless it is for superficial cap hits that won't cost them much in real money.

It wouldn't surprise me if Edmonton offered Puljujarvi and a pick, because they needed to move out Puljujarvi's expected 3-4 million dollar cap hit to get Brown, but the Senators couldn't take back the cash. The entire point for the Senators to move Brown, is to get 4M off the books to fund their acquisitions and internal raises. Acquiring Puljujarvi defeats the purpose of trading Brown.

If someone wants to make the argument that the Senators should not have acquired Talbot, or Giroux, or Debrincat, because Brown is a franchise player, they would be crazy but at least they would not be completely misunderstanding the current cap and salary situation that teams are operating under, while posting on a web forum that is hosted by a website named after said cap.

Should Dorion have dealt Brown last year? At the deadline? Maybe. But for right now, he did very well to even get a 2nd.
Jul. 14, 2022 at 11:17 a.m.
Sens4Life

connor brown will test FA and is looking for a Hyman type contract. Sens got an asset for someone who'd walk.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit