SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #8 - Gone Fishing

Jul. 16, 2022 at 9:49 p.m.
What is each teams biggest weakness/weaknesses, and there most rich area. Example below.

Buffalo
Weaknesses: True #1 Center, RD Depth, Defensive Prospect depth. (In that order.)
Strengths: Prospect Pool, Cap Situation.
Zinger liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 9:56 p.m.
Jamie Benn is BACK
Dallas:
Weaknesses: Goal scoring, puck moving defensemen (outside of Heiskanen, unless Harley steps up big time this year)
Strengths: Goaltending, Depth in Prospect Pool
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 10:06 p.m.
Farewell
HOLY SMOKES-Marino got traded to the Devils? Petry to the Pens?!

Knee-jerk reactions: Absolute steal for the Devils, Marino may not be a fantasy D-man but he is a terrific stay-at-home blue-liner and incredibly unappreciated.

Fair deal on both sides in the Pens-Habs deal, Matheson is good plus they get a 4th, and Petry gets a fresh start with the Pens.
justaBoss liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 10:09 p.m.
Farewell
Edited Jul. 16, 2022 at 10:22 p.m.
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Are you from Edmonton? I have a cousin who lives in the northern suburb Sugondeez

Quoting: Juiceman
Oh yeah I know that place. It’s a 2 hour drive from Candice

Quoting: Devil
I went to vacation in Ligma, Canada. Great views and had a fun experience

Are there a bunch of jokes here that I'm missing? (Trying to understand why these posts have so many likes)
Juiceman and AndrewLadd liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 10:13 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: kdawg32086
How long before we see a bunch of Petry to Pittsburgh ACGM's?

Wow. That aged...well.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 10:25 p.m.
Farewell
tears of joy tears of joy tears of joy I think Calgary fans are a bit bitter

Devil and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 10:27 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Quoting: Tintin
Can't wait for ducharmetheDOMinator to dunk on us for all eternity with whatever Petry ends up returning.

Hughes LLLLLL
WTF
So underwhelming
Why? For Matheson? 4 years?
Juiceman and Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 10:38 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: justaBoss
I'm a massive Drouin to Arizona advocate.

He has great skillset but he's no good at dealing with immense pressure, so he doesn't fit to play in a hockey environment like Montreal.

You think he can’t deal with pressure based on what exactly? If that does affect him, I absolutely hope he gets in a better situation, but there’s absolutely nothing that is public knowledge that outlines Jo’s inner thoughts, which most people don’t even have a full grip on in their own mind. So assuming someone’s mental state/triggers is extremely unhelpful and harmfully simplifying someone who you don’t know, and almost certainly never will know. Saying he’s “no good at dealing with immense pressure” may be true, but there’s absolutely no evidence that we have that it is true, and saying that can do only harm and no good.

If someone that I don’t know said that I have a huge problem with procrastination and laziness, while being a true statement, it isn’t that person’s place to comment on my mental struggles if I am not the one initiating the conversation. There may be more nuanced conversations that I didn’t try to initiate, but are started by people who know me well, which is much different than people who don’t know me at all commenting on my procrastination issues that they don’t even know for sure if I have.

And I’m sorry for sounding overly critical, since I’ve interacted with you enough to know that you mean well. This is just a kind of statement that has really frustrated me among things that hockey fans say, and I felt like saying something.
justaBoss liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 10:38 p.m.
Farewell
LOL-From NHL.com
On Saturday afternoon on the outskirts of Columbus in a little ice cream shop with 16 parking spaces and a drive-thru, Colorado Avalanche defenseman Jack Johnson turned the Stanley Cup over to his three children and their friends for a sloppy dessert they'll never forget. "It was cool," Johnson said as he looked on while 6-year-old Jacklin; Ty, four; and Tommy, two, were among other eager kids inhaling ice cream covered in chocolate topping and whipped cream as onlookers took photos and videos inside Dell's Ice Cream and Coffee. "I promised my kids, gosh, I don't know long ago, that if I ever won, we'd eat ice cream out of the Stanley Cup.

"I made sure with the keepers here [of the Cup] if it was OK to eat ice cream out of it and they said, 'Yeah, have at it."
-NHL.com

cut.jpg
Saskleaf and zk97 liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 11:06 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
You think he can’t deal with pressure based on what exactly? If that does affect him, I absolutely hope he gets in a better situation, but there’s absolutely nothing that is public knowledge that outlines Jo’s inner thoughts, which most people don’t even have a full grip on in their own mind. So assuming someone’s mental state/triggers is extremely unhelpful and harmfully simplifying someone who you don’t know, and almost certainly never will know. Saying he’s “no good at dealing with immense pressure” may be true, but there’s absolutely no evidence that we have that it is true, and saying that can do only harm and no good.

If someone that I don’t know said that I have a huge problem with procrastination and laziness, while being a true statement, it isn’t that person’s place to comment on my mental struggles if I am not the one initiating the conversation. There may be more nuanced conversations that I didn’t try to initiate, but are started by people who know me well, which is much different than people who don’t know me at all commenting on my procrastination issues that they don’t even know for sure if I have.

And I’m sorry for sounding overly critical, since I’ve interacted with you enough to know that you mean well. This is just a kind of statement that has really frustrated me among things that hockey fans say, and I felt like saying something.

I get that you're a fan of Drouin's and want to think the best of him and that's perfectly fine.

I did base my comment on the fact that Drouin is, at least if I recall correctly, like the only active player who has taken a leave of absence from his team. Whatever he had to deal with back then is something we can't be fully sure of, but you'd have to think he had some issues that made him think he's of no importance for his own team that were actually fighting of cup that year to everyone's surprise. My guess is that the pressure around Montreal got to him and he started to question himself, but this is conjecture as I have no actual proof on what the issue was in the end.

As for why I'd like to see him play for a small market team with no much pressure on himself is to ascertain these thoughts, cuz if he can perform there even close up to his immense potential he had back when he was in his early twenties, he's gonna look like a very different player he is today.

From the young days when he requested for a trade from Tampa to the struggle of recent years, health problems and the hiatus he took it's inconceivable that he's got himself a certain "reputation" amongst hockey folks.
Saskleaf and Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 11:06 p.m.
Canes fan
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
What is each teams biggest weakness/weaknesses, and there most rich area. Example below.

Buffalo
Weaknesses: True #1 Center, RD Depth, Defensive Prospect depth. (In that order.)

Carolina
Weaknesses: Elite goal scoring, Powerplay, Ownership
Strengths: Depth, Defense core, Scouting, Coach, Prospect pool
Jul. 16, 2022 at 11:09 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator
Hughes LLLLLL
WTF
So underwhelming
Why? For Matheson? 4 years?

That was market value for a veteran D with questionable season. Matheson was better last year.

You should be happy with that return. If Matheson keeps performing, this is most definitely a W for MTL in the long run. They literally could not milk any more value out of this one, not with the direction where the market was heading
Juiceman and zk97 liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 11:12 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: yikes
You know what I respect the Pittsburgh Penguins game plan.

The quoted comment I like is “so what we’re old” type mentality.

They’re going for it and you honestly can’t say they’re a bad team at their peak play.

Pittsburgh Senior Penguins.

They should replace that stick in the logo with a cane and put that penguin an old man's hat.
PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188, Saskleaf, yikes and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 11:14 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
That was market value for a veteran D with questionable season. Matheson was better last year.

You should be happy with that return. If Matheson keeps performing, this is most definitely a W for MTL in the long run. They literally could not milk any more value out of this one, not with the direction where the market was heading

Why exactly do we need Matheson though?
He has 4 years left, in 2 Years, he will be 5th in LD depth
I much rather get De Haan and trade Petry for a 1st, or just keep him
Also not content that we're giving Poehling away like nothing
Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 11:16 p.m.
What in tarnation

Because no one was giving up a first for Petry. You need to understand this. Burns and McDonagh trades confirmed this a while ago, there's not huge demand for overpaid veteran D-men.

In your LHD depth chart Matheson is currently No. 1 I'd wager. That core is weak.
Saskleaf, kdawg32086, Devil and 4 others liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 11:17 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I mean, Werenski’s CBJ’s top D but Gavrikov and Peeke are both solid defensively and physical guys ( something they lacked a bit hence adding Gudbaranson ) and guys like Boqvist, Blankenburg, Bean are more skill guys, their defence isn’t exactly good but it’s not bad on paper. CBJ’s forward are also stacked ( even if missing a top Center ). Now they would need to clear cap to sign Laine but Voracek-Jenner-Laine, Nyquist-Sillinger-Bjorkstrand, Johnson-Roslovic-Texier is pretty promising

I mean, Gaudreau and Laine are obviously elite top line talents. I do like their middle six wings with guys like Voracek (aging though), Nyquist (also wrong side of 30), Texier, and Bjorkstrand (love him). But like, Jenner’s a 2C, and Roslovic is ideally your 3C. Sillinger’s only a middle six centre as well (not sure he’ll turn into a 1C, he obviously made the NHL faster than everyone thought but his high-end projection was 2C) and it’s probably too early to expect much from Johnson other than middle six production. So you’ve got a good, deep, not great offense that could use another top line talent (specifically a 1C) and not one of them except Bemstrom is even decent in their own zone lol (Bjorkstrand may have just had a bad season, but everyone else was REALLY bad defensively). Werenski is a top pair LD. Maybe I’m off base, but I view Gavrikov, Bean, and Boqvist as guys that are decent #4 options, or good 3rd pair guys. So they are lacking a true top pair RD, and ideally a stronger #3. Also Gavrikov was their worst defenseman defensively last year lol. And then Merzlikins is solid, but not a top half starter imo (19th in GSAX for goalies with 35+ games played puts him right about where I’d rank him tbh).

They’ve got a lot of guys coming (Johnson should be really good, Jiricek should fill that 1RD hole, Ceulemans/Mateychuk give some other depth options and I reckon at least one of them turns into a good #3 (that should be a high end second pair), and they’ve got great depth at every position in their prospect pool (Tarasov and Ivanov in net, then LDBB, Chinakhov, Marchenko, Foudy, Voronkov, Dumais, Dolzhenkov, etc. up front, and a couple other interesting guys on the back end, like Svozil). So they definitely have a very bright future. I just don’t know if they’ll have that 1C unless Johnson sticks up the middle, but regardless their competitive window doesn’t open until their great D prospects (Jiricek, Mateychuk, Ceulemans) round out their top 4 to give Merzlikins (or Tarasov) a little bit of help, because their forwards certainly aren’t doing anything in that regard. So they’ll probably start being good 2-3 years from now, but I don’t see them making the playoffs in a stacked eastern conference (last year’s top 8, plus NYI presumably bouncing back, and Ottawa and Detroit making massive improvements means they’d be lucky to finish top 10 honestly).
Jul. 16, 2022 at 11:18 p.m.
Quoting: Zinger
Our best picks outside of the top 2 rounds since 2010

2010 Frederik Andersen - 7th Round
2012 Jaccob Slavin - 4th Round
2013 Brett Pesce - 3rd Round
2014 Warren Foegele - 3rd Round
2015 Steven Lorentz - 7th Round
2015 Nicolas Roy - 4th Round
2017 Morgan Geekie - 3rd Round
2019 Anttoni Honka - 3rd Round
2020 Alexander Pashin - 7th Round
2020 Ronan Seeley - 7th Round
2021 Robert Orr - 5th Round
2021 Justin Robidas - 5th Round
2022 Simon Forsmark - 4th Round
2022 Vladimir Grudinin - 5th Round
2022 Alexander Pelevin - 7th Round

Looks pretty solid and it's only gotten better recently. Well said Juiceman

I forgot about Roy, would be nice to still have him on the team
Zinger and zk97 liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 11:19 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Because no one was giving up a first for Petry. You need to understand this. Burns and McDonagh trades confirmed this a while ago, there's not huge demand for overpaid veteran D-men.

In your LHD depth chart Matheson is currently No. 1 I'd wager. That core is weak.

Eddy > Mike
But anyway,
Guhle is gonna be better or at least same level as MM next year, Harris will improve
He has no spot
I'd be much more happy for A deal with Dumolin there
1 year left
Why do we need MM? We ate not contending. Rather trade Petry for futures, or just keep him and sign CDH
As honestly, it's feeling like Klingberg to MTL is inevitable
If not, it's Subban, which is equally as bad
Wtf
Jul. 16, 2022 at 11:21 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Alfie11
I mean, Gaudreau and Laine are obviously elite top line talents. I do like their middle six wings with guys like Voracek (aging though), Nyquist (also wrong side of 30), Texier, and Bjorkstrand (love him). But like, Jenner’s a 2C, and Roslovic is ideally your 3C. Sillinger’s only a middle six centre as well (not sure he’ll turn into a 1C, he obviously made the NHL faster than everyone thought but his high-end projection was 2C) and it’s probably too early to expect much from Johnson other than middle six production. So you’ve got a good, deep, not great offense that could use another top line talent (specifically a 1C) and not one of them except Bemstrom is even decent in their own zone lol (Bjorkstrand may have just had a bad season, but everyone else was REALLY bad defensively). Werenski is a top pair LD. Maybe I’m off base, but I view Gavrikov, Bean, and Boqvist as guys that are decent #4 options, or good 3rd pair guys. So they are lacking a true top pair RD, and ideally a stronger #3. Also Gavrikov was their worst defenseman defensively last year lol. And then Merzlikins is solid, but not a top half starter imo (19th in GSAX for goalies with 35+ games played puts him right about where I’d rank him tbh).

They’ve got a lot of guys coming (Johnson should be really good, Jiricek should fill that 1RD hole, Ceulemans/Mateychuk give some other depth options and I reckon at least one of them turns into a good #3 (that should be a high end second pair), and they’ve got great depth at every position in their prospect pool (Tarasov and Ivanov in net, then LDBB, Chinakhov, Marchenko, Foudy, Voronkov, Dumais, Dolzhenkov, etc. up front, and a couple other interesting guys on the back end, like Svozil). So they definitely have a very bright future. I just don’t know if they’ll have that 1C unless Johnson sticks up the middle, but regardless their competitive window doesn’t open until their great D prospects (Jiricek, Mateychuk, Ceulemans) round out their top 4 to give Merzlikins (or Tarasov) a little bit of help, because their forwards certainly aren’t doing anything in that regard. So they’ll probably start being good 2-3 years from now, but I don’t see them making the playoffs in a stacked eastern conference (last year’s top 8, plus NYI presumably bouncing back, and Ottawa and Detroit making massive improvements means they’d be lucky to finish top 10 honestly).

I'd cut Elvis some slack. Kivi who was like a brother to him died to save his life, it definitely impacted his play, and most likely the whole team.

They were so off defensively last year, I'd imagine there's going to be a change to that this year.

CBJ is going to surprise many people I'd wager.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 11:21 p.m.
Go leafs go

If all he got was Matheson, I think we can be pretty sure there was no first round pick on the table for him.
Juiceman liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 11:22 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Quoting: Saskleaf
If all he got was Matheson, I think we can be pretty sure there was no first round pick on the table for him.

Right.
But probably a 2nd + something was
Much rather that
Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 11:23 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Severson for Pulijujarvi trade seems likely, no?
Then maybe a Barrie for Hoffman trade ?
Makes sense for all teams involved
Jul. 16, 2022 at 11:25 p.m.

Buffalo

Ottawa Senators
Strengths: Forwards, LD, Prospect depth at every position, Cap situation
Weaknesses: Top 4 RD, Starting goalie (solid tandem though, and Sogaard may fill this hole long term)

Calgary Flames
Strengths: Wingers, LD, Goalie (both currently and in the prospect pipeline for all of these)
Weaknesses: RD outside of Andersson (Tanev’s getting older, zero relevant prospects), 2C, Centre prospects, Cap situation
csick liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 11:26 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

Buffalo

New Jersey
Weakness; Goaltenders staying healthy/good
Strengths: Centers
Jul. 16, 2022 at 11:27 p.m.
Farewell
Trivia time: What do Radko Gudas, Brett Howden, Tony Deangelo, Dustin Tokarski and Connor Ingram all have in common?

Answer: They all were drafted by the Lightning, and none of them ever played a single game in a Lightning uniform.
justaBoss, Saskleaf and zk97 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll