SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #8 - Gone Fishing

Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:36 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Kerfoot was already gone

Only owed 750k so teams will be calling

That’s 51 points from Kerfoot, 20 goals from Mikheyev and 30 something points from Kase all gone for NAK, Janmark, and Gaudette. This is starting to feel like Seattle’s bottom 6 last year
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:37 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: GarthBrooks
That’s 51 points from Kerfoot, 20 goals from Mikheyev and 30 something points from Kase all gone for NAK, Janmark, and Gaudette. This is starting to feel like Seattle’s bottom 6 last year

Järnkrok. Janmark went to Oilers.
GarthBrooks, zk97, BuFfaLOFaN and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:37 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: DirtyDangle
apparently sandin is looking for $2.5m

So basically Kerfoot and Holl would have to be moved with no cap coming back
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:38 p.m.
KFTW

Toronto won’t have as many points as they did last year
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:39 p.m.
retired
Quoting: csick
So basically Kerfoot and Holl would have to be moved with no cap coming back

i still think sandin gets traded but if it comes to it i think kerfoot and holl are moveable.
csick liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:39 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: justaBoss
Based on Pacioretty dump and Brown getting sold underpriced, Kerfoot is probably going to net Leafs like a fourth rounder at most.

Nope with the amount owed I see a 3rd plus. As pacioretty is a 7mill guy kerfoot 3.5 making 750k. Basically vegas was desperate Toronto really isn't
DirtyDangle liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:42 p.m.
Well Matthew Tkachuk didn’t file for arbitration, which I thought he might do. Is there a deadline to accept your QO?
zk97, GarthBrooks and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:43 p.m.
retired
Quoting: Alfie11
Well Matthew Tkachuk didn’t file for arbitration, which I thought he might do. Is there a deadline to accept your QO?

july 22, 5est
GarthBrooks and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:45 p.m.
Quoting: DirtyDangle
july 22, 5est

Interesting. If it gets past that point, a long term deal would appear to be more likely then, because he won’t get the 1 year award from arbitration (which honestly would have come in higher than his QO based on the season he just had) and he obviously can’t threaten to accept the QO. Hopefully an 8 year deal gets done.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:45 p.m.
What in tarnation
Nope with the amount owed I see a 3rd plus. As pacioretty is a 7mill guy kerfoot 3.5 making 750k. Basically vegas was desperate Toronto really isn't

Realistically the team interested in Kerfoot don't really care about his actual salary, but how his contract fits the cap of the team. And knowing that teams like to f*ck with the Leafs (like with waivers) I don't think there's plenty of teams wanting to help them.

Only teams interested in the actual salary is rebuilders aiming to get closer to the cap limit, but buying assets is not something they typically do.

There's not many competing teams in the league in a position where they could add a $3,5M player after all, unless they practically get him for free.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:48 p.m.
What in tarnation
Interesting. If it gets past that point, a long term deal would appear to be more likely then, because he won’t get the 1 year award from arbitration (which honestly would have come in higher than his QO based on the season he just had) and he obviously can’t threaten to accept the QO. Hopefully an 8 year deal gets done.

It's kind of interesting to think what would happen if he demands to get as short of a deal as possible to get to free agency, because he's one year away from accruing those 7 years which gets him to UFA status, yet if he threats to sit out he won't accrue that year.

If he wants out, I think they'll form a two-year deal, which gives CGY time to find a potential suitor for him.
zk97 and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:48 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Not really

Kubel 11 goals
Jarnkrok 13 goals
Engvall 15 goals
Kampf 13 goals

Vs
21 mikheyev
14 kase
13 kerfoot

They are fine as any of these guys with JT would achieve 50 points
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:50 p.m.
Farewell
OK, I'm bored. Very bored. So I'm going to do an off-the-cuff way-too-early prediction of every division. Right now. Again, NOT FINALIZED.

Metro:
1) Canes
2) Rangers
3) Pens
4) Islanders
5) Caps
6) Blue Jackets
7) Devils
8) Flyers

WHY: The Top 3 from last year remain the same-Canes, despite losing Trocheck to NYR, might have even gotten better with Pacioretty and Burns (who was a terrific pickup), not to mention Kase-I'm more confident in their being #1 than I am about any other team. Rangers, much as I hate to admit it, are still darn good, and if Kakko and Lafreniere keep blossoming, watch out. Pens are aging, but their core is intact, healthy (for now), and ready for one last go. With Chara and Greene gone (hopefully), the Isles should be miles better defensively, Sorokin is a beast in goal, and Barzal and Beauvillier are poised to rebound, along with an emerging Wahlstrom (free from Trotz's reign), they'll be in a neck-and-neck battle with the Sens for that last WC spot. The Caps' best days are behind them, they're the Pens with more injuries (Backstrom, Wilson), have a shaky defense, and are on the decline. Blue Jackets have done nothing to improve a dreadful defense (save for signing ERIK GUDBRANSON FOR 4 million X 4 YEARS!!!), the offense will be good but they're not there yet. The Devils are also getting closer, but I think they need one more year. Flyers will be absolutely terrible.

Atlantic:
1) Lightning
2) Bruins
3) Leafs
4) Panthers (WC #1)
5) Senators (WC #2)
6) Red Wings
7) Canadiens
8) Sabres

WHY: Wow, what a freakishly stacked division. Lightning at #1 is for one simple difference-maker: Vasi (and of course, I'm not at all biased). The Bruins being at #2 is assuming Bergeron and Krejci return (again, this is too early), and if they do, I think the Bruins are going to be MAJOR players-even with Marchand and McAvoy out to start the year, as Swayman (who I love) is poised to take over in net (and even if they decide to tandem him and Ullmark again, that's a heck of a tandem) and have a heck of a year. The Leafs are going to be fine-Murray/Samsonov will be servicable, and the skaters will do the rest. Panthers are not as great as they were at the end of last season-no Giroux, no Marchment, no Duclair for at least half the year, and Bobrovsky is still a question mark, but they'll still run away with the 1st WC. Sens are coming, and coming fast-with the new and gleaming Top 6 plus Forsberg+Talbot in net, I'm leaning towards giving them the edge over the Isles for WC #2. Wings aren't there yet (and I actually found some of Yzerman's UFA signings to be questionable at best-that much to Chiarot? 5 years for Copp?), but they're climbing. Canadiens and Sabres will both be better, but not nearly good enough yet.

Central:
1) Avalanche
2) Blues
3) Stars
4) Wild (WC #1)
5) Predators
6) Jets
7) Blackhawks
8) Coyotes

WHY: Avs are still the best-I expect Francouz to win the job and be perfectly capable. Binnington got some of his confidence back these past playoffs-with him back in form and their D-core fully healthy again, the Blues stay in 2nd. Let's get bold at #3-Oettinger puts himself in the Vezina conversation, Heiskanen has his best year yet, Marchment emerges as a terrific middle-6 workhorse, and the Stars surprise with a very solid year. Wild hurt from losing Fiala, but will still be good-not as good as last year, but good, thanks to Kaprizov, Boldy, and a terrific blue line to help out Fleury. Preds benefitted from career years from Forsberg and Duchene last year-I don't know if they can get those players to repeat, and unless they get the bottom-6 to start producing, I don't think they return to the playoffs, even with Saros in net. Jets might be a surprise team, but I don't see it-they have a weak D-core, weak bottom-6, and no stability. Blackhawks, despite their best (worst?) efforts, still won't be worse than the Coyotes.

Pacific:
1) Oilers
2) Golden Knights
3) Kings
4) Canucks (WC #2)
5) Flames
6) Kraken
7) Ducks
8) Sharks

WHY: Edmonton has actually gotten better-they suddenly have a fairly decent (albeit unreliable) goalie, a nice bottom-6, and incredible stability, not to mention the best player in the world, not to mention the 2nd or 3rd best player in the world. After the Oilers, you could put the next 4 teams in any order. So here's my knee-jerk reaction: Vegas, much as I hate it, is going to be good-Eichel's going to come back with a vengeance, Mark Stone stays healthy, and they return to the playoffs. Kings are a little shaky in net (Quick's getting older, Peterson is unproven), but their young talent makes up for it. Canucks have a very impressive top 9, a goalie who gets better every year in Demko, and despite a weak D-core, will battle it out with the Preds in the Central and the Flames in their own division for the last WC spot-but I think they get it, as I can't see Markstrom having the same kind of year he had in 2021-22 again, and losing Gaudreau is going to hurt, no question about it. Kraken will be slightly better thanks to Beniers, but they, the Ducks, and the Sharks will not come close.

Again, for the last time, this is not finalized, but let me know what you think.
AndrewLadd, oilersguy, EsoYeezus69 and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
OK, I'm bored. Very bored. So I'm going to do an off-the-cuff way-too-early prediction of every division. Right now. Again, NOT FINALIZED.

Metro:
1) Canes
2) Rangers
3) Pens
4) Islanders
5) Caps
6) Blue Jackets
7) Devils
8) Flyers

WHY: The Top 3 from last year remain the same-Canes, despite losing Trocheck to NYR, might have even gotten better with Pacioretty and Burns (who was a terrific pickup), not to mention Kase-I'm more confident in their being #1 than I am about any other team. Rangers, much as I hate to admit it, are still darn good, and if Kakko and Lafreniere keep blossoming, watch out. Pens are aging, but their core is intact, healthy (for now), and ready for one last go. With Chara and Greene gone (hopefully), the Isles should be miles better defensively, Sorokin is a beast in goal, and Barzal and Beauvillier are poised to rebound, along with an emerging Wahlstrom (free from Trotz's reign), they'll be in a neck-and-neck battle with the Sens for that last WC spot. The Caps' best days are behind them, they're the Pens with more injuries (Backstrom, Wilson), have a shaky defense, and are on the decline. Blue Jackets have done nothing to improve a dreadful defense (save for signing ERIK GUDBRANSON FOR 4 million X 4 YEARS!!!), the offense will be good but they're not there yet. The Devils are also getting closer, but I think they need one more year. Flyers will be absolutely terrible.

Atlantic:
1) Lightning
2) Bruins
3) Leafs
4) Panthers (WC #1)
5) Senators (WC #2)
6) Red Wings
7) Canadiens
8) Sabres

WHY: Wow, what a freakishly stacked division. Lightning at #1 is for one simple difference-maker: Vasi (and of course, I'm not at all biased). The Bruins being at #2 is assuming Bergeron and Krejci return (again, this is too early), and if they do, I think the Bruins are going to be MAJOR players-even with Marchand and McAvoy out to start the year, as Swayman (who I love) is poised to take over in net (and even if they decide to tandem him and Ullmark again, that's a heck of a tandem) and have a heck of a year. The Leafs are going to be fine-Murray/Samsonov will be servicable, and the skaters will do the rest. Panthers are not as great as they were at the end of last season-no Giroux, no Marchment, no Duclair for at least half the year, and Bobrovsky is still a question mark, but they'll still run away with the 1st WC. Sens are coming, and coming fast-with the new and gleaming Top 6 plus Forsberg+Talbot in net, I'm leaning towards giving them the edge over the Isles for WC #2. Wings aren't there yet (and I actually found some of Yzerman's UFA signings to be questionable at best-that much to Chiarot? 5 years for Copp?), but they're climbing. Canadiens and Sabres will both be better, but not nearly good enough yet.

Central:
1) Avalanche
2) Blues
3) Stars
4) Wild (WC #1)
5) Predators
6) Jets
7) Blackhawks
8) Coyotes

WHY: Avs are still the best-I expect Francouz to win the job and be perfectly capable. Binnington got some of his confidence back these past playoffs-with him back in form and their D-core fully healthy again, the Blues stay in 2nd. Let's get bold at #3-Oettinger puts himself in the Vezina conversation, Heiskanen has his best year yet, Marchment emerges as a terrific middle-6 workhorse, and the Stars surprise with a very solid year. Wild hurt from losing Fiala, but will still be good-not as good as last year, but good, thanks to Kaprizov, Boldy, and a terrific blue line to help out Fleury. Preds benefitted from career years from Forsberg and Duchene last year-I don't know if they can get those players to repeat, and unless they get the bottom-6 to start producing, I don't think they return to the playoffs, even with Saros in net. Jets might be a surprise team, but I don't see it-they have a weak D-core, weak bottom-6, and no stability. Blackhawks, despite their best (worst?) efforts, still won't be worse than the Coyotes.

Pacific:
1) Oilers
2) Golden Knights
3) Kings
4) Canucks (WC #2)
5) Flames
6) Kraken
7) Ducks
8) Sharks

WHY: Edmonton has actually gotten better-they suddenly have a fairly decent (albeit unreliable) goalie, a nice bottom-6, and incredible stability, not to mention the best player in the world, not to mention the 2nd or 3rd best player in the world. After the Oilers, you could put the next 4 teams in any order. So here's my knee-jerk reaction: Vegas, much as I hate it, is going to be good-Eichel's going to come back with a vengeance, Mark Stone stays healthy, and they return to the playoffs. Kings are a little shaky in net (Quick's getting older, Peterson is unproven), but their young talent makes up for it. Canucks have a very impressive top 9, a goalie who gets better every year in Demko, and despite a weak D-core, will battle it out with the Preds in the Central and the Flames in their own division for the last WC spot-but I think they get it, as I can't see Markstrom having the same kind of year he had in 2021-22 again, and losing Gaudreau is going to hurt, no question about it. Kraken will be slightly better thanks to Beniers, but they, the Ducks, and the Sharks will not come close.

Again, for the last time, this is not finalized, but let me know what you think.

Aren't the Bruins missing Carlo, Gryzlyc, McAvoy and Marchand for most of the year
AndrewLadd liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:53 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
People rly hyping up a Romanov-Dobson pairing like we couldn’t have easily rolled out a Toews-Dobson pairing for a decade
zk97 and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:53 p.m.

Metro:
1) Canes
2) Rangers
3) Pens
4) Islanders
5) Caps
6) Blue Jackets
7) Devils
8) Flyers

Atlantic:
1) Lightning
2) Bruins
3) Leafs
4) Panthers (WC #1)
5) Senators (WC #2)
6) Red Wings
7) Canadiens
8) Sabres

Central:
1) Avalanche
2) Blues
3) Stars
4) Wild (WC #1)
5) Predators
6) Jets
7) Blackhawks
8) Coyotes

Pacific:
1) Oilers
2) Golden Knights
3) Kings
4) Canucks (WC #2)
5) Flames
6) Kraken
7) Ducks
8) Sharks

I think you’re too high on the Bruins. They are missing several of their most important players for a large chunk of time. Even if they get both Bergeron and Krejci into the fold, I think they’ll start the year off super slow like last year’s Islanders, and I don’t think the rest of the East will let them back into the race even if they have a hot finish when healthy.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:54 p.m.
Farewell
Aren't the Bruins missing Carlo, Gryzlyc, McAvoy and Marchand for most of the year

No. Marchand and Carlo are out till November, McAvoy and Grzlecyk till December. At most, 2 months of the season.
aadoyle liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:56 p.m.
No. Marchand and Carlo are out till November, McAvoy and Grzlecyk till December. At most, 2 months of the season.

That’s like 30 games without 4 of their 8 best players lol
A_Habs_fan, aadoyle, zk97 and 5 others liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:56 p.m.
Farewell
I think you’re too high on the Bruins. They are missing several of their most important players for a large chunk of time. Even if they get both Bergeron and Krejci into the fold, I think they’ll start the year off super slow like last year’s Islanders, and I don’t think the rest of the East will let them back into the race even if they have a hot finish when healthy.

Definitely possible, but I think a top 6 of Hall-Bergeron-Pastrnak and Debrusk-Krejci-Zacha will carry them until Marchand, Grzlecyk, and McAvoy return. (Of course, this is all assuming Bergeron and Krejci come back in the first place.)
aadoyle liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:58 p.m.
Farewell
That’s like 30 games without 4 of their 8 best players lol

I think they have enough depth to back it up. Time will tell...
Jul. 17, 2022 at 6:01 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I think they have enough depth to back it up. Time will tell...

Bruins and depth scoring has always been a problem though
csick, A_Habs_fan and Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 6:01 p.m.
Farewell
Bruins and depth scoring has always been a problem though

Fair.
csick and aadoyle liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 6:05 p.m.
KFTW
Fair.

The Atlantic is going to be so mcuh closer . The top 4 teams are worse and Detroit , Buffalo and Ottawa are all better
Jul. 17, 2022 at 6:06 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: csick
The Atlantic is going to be so mcuh closer . The top 4 teams are worse and Detroit , Buffalo and Ottawa are all better

For sure, but even though TBL/BOS/TOR/FLA all got slightly worse, there's still a big gap between them and the rest of the pack. Ottawa's the only one I can see (out of the remaining 4) making the playoffs.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 6:08 p.m.
Farewell
Also worth noting that I had the Bruins at #2 in my predictions for the division last year, was told I had them too high, and it turned out everyone else was right. So, basically, I haven't learned my lesson, apparently.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll