SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #8 - Gone Fishing

Jul. 17, 2022 at 6:40 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Why does the west feel easy to guess and the east is plain impossible. Like the Canucks and Preds are the only teams out of the playoffs I could see maybe getting in. Otherwise the rest of the teams have holes in 2 many places.

In the east the Sabres, Canadians, and the Flyers are the only realistic teams that have no chance at playoffs. And the Flyers with Hart turning into a good goalie could somehow do it as well.

Not gonna lie I think the Sabres have a shot. I love what their building in buffalo
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 6:43 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Not gonna lie I think the Sabres have a shot. I love what their building in buffalo

What??!!!!! The Sabres have absolutely no shot this year. They have a heck of a bright future, but this year?! They're not getting ahead of the Lightning, or the Panthers, or the Leafs, or the Canes, or the Rangers, or the Penguins, or the Senators, or the Bruins, or the Red Wings, or the Devils, or the Islanders, or the Capitals, or the Blue Jackets. No chance.

EDIT: Sorry, that sounded aggressive, I'm just in shock tears of joy
Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 6:43 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Is he reliable? ( also definitely a winger moving if true )

I mean he has 152k followers, Kevin Weekes, Eric Engels, and Chris Johnston follow him so
zk97 liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 6:52 p.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Wait a second, players that filed for Aribation can't be offersheeted? That is good news for Calgary since Tkachuk didn't file
Jul. 17, 2022 at 6:53 p.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Quoting: Gmonwy
Wait a second, players that filed for Aribation can't be offersheeted? That is good news for Calgary since Tkachuk didn't file

Or is it the other way around?

Jul. 17, 2022 at 6:55 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: Gmonwy
Or is it the other way around?

"Any player who has filed for arbitration is no longer eligible to sign an offer sheet, effectively taking the players on this list off the market. Three notable names that did not file for arbitration are Winnipeg Jets forward Pierre-Luc Dubois, Calgary Flames forward Matthew Tkachuk and Columbus Blue Jackets forward Patrik Laine." -ProHockeyRumors.com

Meaning, since Tkachuk didn't file, he can still be offer-sheeted.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 6:57 p.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
"Any player who has filed for arbitration is no longer eligible to sign an offer sheet, effectively taking the players on this list off the market. Three notable names that did not file for arbitration are Winnipeg Jets forward Pierre-Luc Dubois, Calgary Flames forward Matthew Tkachuk and Columbus Blue Jackets forward Patrik Laine." -ProHockeyRumors.com

Meaning, since Tkachuk didn't file, he can still be offer-sheeted.

Eh, Mangiapane and Kylington can't then... i guess thats okay
Jul. 17, 2022 at 7:38 p.m.

What??!!!!! The Sabres have absolutely no shot this year. They have a heck of a bright future, but this year?! They're not getting ahead of the Lightning, or the Panthers, or the Leafs, or the Canes, or the Rangers, or the Penguins, or the Senators, or the Bruins, or the Red Wings, or the Devils, or the Islanders, or the Capitals, or the Blue Jackets. No chance.

EDIT: Sorry, that sounded aggressive, I'm just in shock tears of joy

Well the only argument I have for you about the sabres is this, if this year is anything like the end of last the sabres will have 3 top 15 even strength scorers in the NHL. Dahlin, Power, and Samuelsson are a very good top 3. Quinn, Cozens, Peterka, Mitts, Olofsson, and Krebs have a ton of potential to score a lot of points. And the Asplund - Girgensons - Okposo line is ok offensively, but world class defensively with a Selke level winger in asplund and Okposo could have been last year. Goaltending is obviously the issue but end of last year the sabres where amazing and had sub .900 goaltending.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 7:56 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Edited Jul. 17, 2022 at 8:02 p.m.
Anyone find it it intriguing there’s arguably 20+ NHL capable players unsigned right now, many of whom are actual impact players.

I mean argue all you want but Evan Rodrigues is quite an intriguing player for example. Yeah there’s a “regression” candidate but what if this is HIM? Or the numerous unqualified RFAs and offer sheet candidates. I feel like we’re still gonna see a couple teams drastically change their lineup based on signings and a few others left wondering if they could have done more.
aadoyle liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 8:09 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: yikes
Anyone find it it intriguing there’s arguably 20+ NHL capable players unsigned right now, many of whom are actual impact players.

I mean argue all you want but Evan Rodrigues is quite an intriguing player for example. Yeah there’s a “regression” candidate but what if this is HIM? Or the numerous unqualified RFAs and offer sheet candidates. I feel like we’re still gonna see a couple teams drastically change their lineup based on signings and a few others left wondering if they could have done more.

Evan Rodrigues to me either goes to Arizona on a 1 year deal or signs with either the Wild, Flames, Avs, or Jets
Jul. 17, 2022 at 8:14 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: aadoyle
Evan Rodrigues to me either goes to Arizona on a 1 year deal or signs with the Wild

Honestly I think one of the pacific teams is gonna swing at him (ANA or SJS). I think Minnesota can’t afford anything more than a one year and I don’t think Arizona is at all going to intrigue Rodrigues I mean the guy just started experiencing playoff hockey. And he’s 28; his window is closing and he did get some good reps in those playoff games.

Just don’t see the intrigue in a rebuilding team so a team who could convince him “yeah we could use your help to be a playoff team” like ANA, SJS, Calgary, I’d also consider Detroit funnily enough as just another damn contract for Stevie Y.
Or he discounts for term with Pittsburgh/ a cup contender. Could see him finding a home in Colorado or Tampa.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 8:16 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Honestly I think one of the pacific teams is gonna swing at him (ANA or SJS). I think Minnesota can’t afford anything more than a one year and I don’t think Arizona is at all going to intrigue Rodrigues I mean the guy just started experiencing playoff hockey. And he’s 28; his window is closing and he did get some good reps in those playoff games.

Just don’t see the intrigue in a rebuilding team so a team who could convince him “yeah we could use your help to be a playoff team” like ANA, SJS, Calgary, I’d also consider Detroit funnily enough as just another damn contract for Stevie Y.
Or he discounts for term with Pittsburgh/ a cup contender. Could see him finding a home in Colorado or Tampa.

Problem with Anaheim is they got

Strome
McTavish
Zegras
and
Lunderstrom (not in order)

SJS I could see but.

I know he can play wing but his best production came when he was the 2c in Pitt. To me the Wild or Colorado could make sense as I think Rodrigues would just feed off the strong wings on both teams and role with it.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 8:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
If you had to choose between ZAR and Motte for the 4th line who would you choose
Jul. 17, 2022 at 8:43 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
If you had to choose between ZAR and Motte for the 4th line who would you choose

Motte’s better imo, more proven and I feel he brings more to the table
Jul. 17, 2022 at 9:04 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Motte’s better imo, more proven and I feel he brings more to the table

Agreed he has more speed and versitility on the PP

ZAR is just a good defensive 4th line wing who doesnt do much offensively

Hes mostly just there for takeaways and hits

As im wondering with Dubas probs moving Kerfoot and Holl and still having 2mill in cap I wonder if he goes for one of those 2 and makes a checking line of

Motte-Kampf-Kubel
Jul. 17, 2022 at 9:26 p.m.
Au-revoir Dorion

theyre all waiting to see if the sens send them a contract offer
Alfie11 and yikes liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 9:45 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Here are my way to early division rankings for next year (thanks to PointStamkosVasilevsky219188 for the idea):

Metro

1) Canes
2) Rangers
3) Devils
4) Penguins
PLAYOFF CUTOFF
5) Blue Jackets
6) Capitals
7) Islanders
8) Flyers

The hurricanes and devils got way better, simple as that. I believe the devils have what it takes to make that next step. The rangers will still be a very good team, considering they have the best netminder in the league. I think the penguins make the playoffs for 1 or 2 more years and that’s it. Any team with Mike Sullivan as the head coach has a chance. The blue jackets should be a better team then they were last year, but their defense is too leaky for their goaltending tandem, and I believe that will ultimately be their downfall. Great future for them though. The islanders are old and dreadful to watch, and adding Romanov doesn’t move the needle at all. They have a rookie head coach, and their forward group is too slow (outside of Barzal) to compete for a playoff spot. The flyers are, well the flyers.

Atlantic

1) Panthers
2) Lightning
3) Senators
4) Maple Leafs
PLAYOFF CUTOFF
5) Red Wings
6) Sabres
7) Canadiens
8) Bruins

I still think the panthers are the best team in the division. Paul Maurice was a solid hire, and I absolutely adore the additions of Rudolf Balcers and Colin White. I bet one, if not both, of them breakout. The lightning are the lightning, and the senators had a video game offseason. The Sens d is a little bit of a mess, but they can score with the best of them, and the talbot acquisition was sneaky good. I think the Wings and Sabres will be in it right until the very end, and both teams will have a good enough showing to restore hope in their fanbases. The Habs should be way better than they were last year, but the division is just too stacked for me to put them any higher. The bruins age, injuries and lack of depth will hurt them next year. Their dcore for the first few months of the season when Gryz, McAvoy and Carlo are injured will be the worst in the league. And there is still no guarantee Bergeron and/or Krecji comes back, and I question how effective Krecji would be even if he did come back.

Central

1) Avalanche
2) Stars
3) Wild
4) Blues
PLAYOFF CUTOFF
5) Jets
6) Predators
7) Coyotes
8) Blackhawks

The avalanche will be just as dominant this year as they were last. I think Jake Oettinger is poised for a breakout year, and is a dark horse Vezina candidate. DeBoer also has a tendency to lead teams into the playoffs, how far they get is more of the questions surrounding him. If the Wild do get kaprizov back, they should be fine. Their offseason wasn’t the greatest, but they should be fine. I absolutely did not like the Blues offseason, electing to keep Leddy over Perron. Their defense is kind of a mess in my eyes. Not to mention the fact Tarasenko could still be on the way out. The predators, even with Forsberg back, are such a meh team to me, and they can’t keep up with the best. The coyotes and Blackhawks will Duke it out for Bedard.

Pacific

1) Oilers
2) Kings
3) Golden Knights
4) Flames
PLAYOFF CUTOFF
5) Canucks
6) Kraken
7) Sharks
8) Ducks

The oilers got better this offseason. So did the kings. That’s why they’re 1 and 2 for me. The knights getting healthy should make them a formidable team again, even without Patches. Bryce Cassidy was also a great hire. The flames certainly won’t be as good as they were last year after losing Gudbranson 😉, but they still have a deep roster, and a reigning Vezina candidate. I expect the kraken to get better this year, with Beniers playing a full year and Burakovsky (and potentially Klingberg) joining the squad. The sharks are the islanders of the west, and the ducks should be absolutely dreadful with the losses of Lindholm, Milano, Manson, Getzlaf and potentially Gibson in the last few months. They look like they have a bright future, but they’re still a few years away

Common AndrewLadd W
Jul. 17, 2022 at 9:52 p.m.
<a href=72-F81-EDA-299-A-4043-B39-B-C938-B69-E9-ED6">
Jul. 17, 2022 at 10:05 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: Devil
Common AndrewLadd W

Common Andrew Tate W
EsoYeezus69 and Devil liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 10:14 p.m.
Farewell
Two others who I'd throw into the list of dark horses for the Calder: Marco Rossi and William Eklund. Really liked Eklund's brief showing last season, and Rossi will almost definitely be called up to join the Wild sooner rather than later this year. Wouldn't sleep on either one in fantasy either.
BuFfaLOFaN and yikes liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 10:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Two others who I'd throw into the list of dark horses for the Calder: Marco Rossi and William Eklund. Really liked Eklund's brief showing last season, and Rossi will almost definitely be called up to join the Wild sooner rather than later this year. Wouldn't sleep on either one in fantasy either.

Shane Wright wins the Calder and in his victory speech goes

Should have went #1 OA
zk97 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 10:52 p.m.
I make typos

If Holloway get lined-up next to one of 97 or 29 I'd say he is a Calder dark horse
BuFfaLOFaN and zk97 liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 10:56 p.m.
KFTW
If Suzuki is off limits, what about Dvorak + Guhle/Barron + FLA 1st. Is that close ?
Jul. 17, 2022 at 10:58 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Quoting: csick
If Suzuki is off limits, what about Dvorak + Guhle/Barron + FLA 1st. Is that close ?

Not at all
Why should habs trade for Dubois?
Jul. 17, 2022 at 10:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: csick

Yeah probably

2023 1st (FLA) + Dvorak + Barron and maybe Beck

MTL gets a nice 2c and Winnipeg gets some depth and a replacement

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll