SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #8 - Gone Fishing

Jul. 18, 2022 at 4:55 p.m.
do not Devil my ass
Edited Jul. 18, 2022 at 5:11 p.m.
Quoting: csick
So tired of hearing casuals say the Sens can’t make the playoffs because they won’t close a 27 point gap.

1) Teams at the top got worse and the bottom got much better so it will be closer.

2) Also the Sens aren’t only adding Debrincat and Giroux. They’re adding Sanderson, Pinto, Joseph for a full year. They’re also adding Talbot .

3) Injuries to Batherson, White, Pinto and Norris with no depth scoring to replace them really killed them. Formenton-Stutzle-Brown just didn’t have enough scoring to keep them in it.

4) Tierney at 2C and Murray to start the year put them quickly under .500. This won’t happen again

Islanders, Sens, Leafs, Wings, Sabres, Bruins, Devils, Caps.
They could all be involved in a major brawl for the 2WCs in the east (along with #3 in the atlantic).
I'm only really counting the Flyers and the Habs out for making a playoff push, and even then it wouldn't be the craziest thing in the world if either of them somehow snuck in imo.
This season, and the east in particular, is gonna be fantastic.

edit: also CBJ should've been mentioned as a WC candidate. I always tend to forget them.
csick, BuFfaLOFaN and Borocop liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 5:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jul. 18, 2022 at 5:28 p.m.
Quoting: Tintin
Islanders, Sens, Leafs, Wings, Sabres, Bruins, Devils, Caps.
They could all be involved in a major brawl for the 2WCs in the east (along with #3 in the atlantic).
I'm only really counting the Flyers and the Habs out for making a playoff push, and even then it wouldn't be the craziest thing in the world if either of them somehow snuck in imo.
This season, and the east in particular, is gonna be fantastic.

edit: also CBJ should've been mentioned as a WC candidate. I always tend to forget them.

Leafs and Isles probs finish top 3 in their divisions like Toronto finished 2nd in their division and 4th in the NHL with 0.893 goaltending for 4 months and Isles wont have a 20 game road trip

I could see with Florida potentially dropping into that group you mentioned as they lost a lot of good players and I feel they are in for a rough season. As I doubt everything goes perfectly again for them like it did last year.

But man the battle for WC 2 between Sens, Panthers, Wings, Sabres, Bruins, Devils, Caps is gonna be intense
zk97 liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 5:30 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
maybe a hot take: sens shouldnt be looking to contend this year.

sure, they have a sick forward core. however the defense is still a bit suspect, and they can easily build it from their system in thomson and bernard-docker. maybe even make a chychrun trade (maybe add one of the previously mentioned RD in the trade? zaitsev + thomson + 2024 2nd (WSH) + nordberg + 2024 1st (OTT)?) as well and put him at 1RD. goaltending maybe also needs a bit of help. waiting one year could make an unbelievable team

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
DeBrincat - Stutzle - Giroux
Formenton - Pinto - Joseph
Greig - Gambrell - XXXXX

Chabot - Chychrun
Sanderson - Bernard-Docker
Larsson - Brannstrom

Talbot
Forsberg

the downside to this is that stutzle and debrincat will need new deals though so maybe not

edit: if they make the playoffs then great. if not its all good for them, they get another pick in a deep draft but i think they should stay par at the draft
Jul. 18, 2022 at 5:36 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
So tired of hearing casuals say the Sens can’t make the playoffs because they won’t close a 27 point gap.

1) Teams at the top got worse and the bottom got much better so it will be closer.

2) Also the Sens aren’t only adding Debrincat and Giroux. They’re adding Sanderson, Pinto, Joseph for a full year. They’re also adding Talbot .

3) Injuries to Batherson, White, Pinto and Norris with no depth scoring to replace them really killed them. Formenton-Stutzle-Brown just didn’t have enough scoring to keep them in it.

4) Tierney at 2C and Murray to start the year put them quickly under .500. This won’t happen again

If the sens can win enough games before Boston gets fully healthy and build a sizable point lead could see them get WC1 OR WC2
csick liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 5:44 p.m.
KFTW
Any news on Klingberg or Kadri? Not many teams with cap space and both want to go to potential playoff teams
Jul. 18, 2022 at 5:47 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Any news on Klingberg or Kadri? Not many teams with cap space and both want to go to potential playoff teams

Last thing I heard of Kadri was he was in talks with CGY but then another report came out saying Avs are trying to move Girard to keep him and the NYI could be a landing spot

Funny how I say things and then articles come out about it a week later

As for Klingberg I have heard Detroit come up a few times but nothing more

My prediction is

NYI trade for Girard and then Kadri extends with the Avs

Klingberg either signs with the Wings and Zadina gets traded (have to move a wing anyways) or he signs with Anaheim
Jul. 18, 2022 at 5:50 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: aadoyle
Last thing I heard of Kadri was he was in talks with CGY but then another report came out saying Avs are trying to move Girard to keep him and the NYI could be a landing spot

My prediction is

Klingberg either signs with the Wings and Zadina gets traded (have to move a wing anyways) or he signs with Anaheim

I agree about Colorado trading Girard and keeping Kadri but I don’t think it would be the Isles .

Klingberg is tougher . Don’t think he gets 7 x 7 anymore but I truly hopes he signs with like ottawa on a 2 x 7 type deal
aadoyle liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 5:51 p.m.
retired
Quoting: aadoyle

My prediction is

id be surprised if the avs did that. they'd have to move someone big next season to make it work. avs can't afford kadri past this upcoming season.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 6:59 p.m.
I agree about Colorado trading Girard and keeping Kadri but I don’t think it would be the Isles .

Klingberg is tougher . Don’t think he gets 7 x 7 anymore but I truly hopes he signs with like ottawa on a 2 x 7 type deal

Klingberg on a 2x7 deal would work out unreasonably well for Ottawa. The only assets we'd lose are those required to dump Zaitsev, rather than dumping Zaitsev and paying for a Chychrun or Weegar type, and then we either get one of JBD or Thomson ready to step into the top 4, or know that we need to replace Klingberg with another free agent RD (or trade for one in 2 years, but we'll have the assets for that).
Quoting: Zuki9797
maybe a hot take: sens shouldnt be looking to contend this year.

sure, they have a sick forward core. however the defense is still a bit suspect, and they can easily build it from their system in thomson and bernard-docker. maybe even make a chychrun trade (maybe add one of the previously mentioned RD in the trade? zaitsev + thomson + 2024 2nd (WSH) + nordberg + 2024 1st (OTT)?) as well and put him at 1RD. goaltending maybe also needs a bit of help. waiting one year could make an unbelievable team

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
DeBrincat - Stutzle - Giroux
Formenton - Pinto - Joseph
Greig - Gambrell - XXXXX

Chabot - Chychrun
Sanderson - Bernard-Docker
Larsson - Brannstrom

Talbot
Forsberg

the downside to this is that stutzle and debrincat will need new deals though so maybe not

edit: if they make the playoffs then great. if not its all good for them, they get another pick in a deep draft but i think they should stay par at the draft

The biggest problem is we have to sign DeBrincat and Stutzle next summer, and while I don't anticipate Stutzle being much of a problem (if we don't get him for a Hughes-esque deal this summer, we should be looking to bridge him I imagine, regardless we have 4 more years of team control remaining after this season), if DeBrincat doesn't sign a long-term extension now, he may choose to just take his QO next summer to walk in 2024 if 2022-23 doesn't go well, so we should really be trying to do well this year to convince him to stay imo. Playoff experience is also invaluable. It's very rare that you go from out of the playoffs to winning the Stanley Cup even if you've got the roster for it, so getting in and doing our best to go as deep as we can this year can't hurt. I really don't even think we need another piece that badly. We probably shouldn't be trading our 2023 1st (unless it's for Chychrun, and even then it has to be protected, but I likely wouldn't even trade it for Weegar), but next year is still a year we should be looking to do well in. We also only have the Talbot-Forsberg tandem for next year. It's very likely that our tandem in 23-24 will be Forsberg-Sogaard (assuming his development goes well), and while Sogaard is the long term future, he probably won't be the starter by 23-24, so our goaltending is likely going to be more solid next season than the year after.
csick and zk97 liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 7:26 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith

Honestly I don’t think Tkachuk is lasting long in Calgary
capsfan2121, AndrewLadd, BuFfaLOFaN and 5 others liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 7:30 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Quoting: yikes

Honestly I don’t think Tkachuk is lasting long in Calgary

He probably gets 1 year, and straight to UFA
And then gets traded
Can totally see a rebuild in CGY,unfortunate tho, they looked like they would have a bright future
capsfan2121, BuFfaLOFaN, EsoYeezus69 and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 7:36 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator
And then gets traded
Can totally see a rebuild in CGY,unfortunate tho, they looked like they would have a bright future

I’m showing Tkachuk the new and shiney Coronato and praying Tkachuk waits for that kid.

He’s got star potential and can replace Johnny.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 7:39 p.m.
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator
And then gets traded

I doubt it's really a rebuild since they have a young core, just need to retool for a year or 2. After Tkachuk and Gaudreau go I'd trade away all the older playera and try and build around there young Dcore, Zary, Coronato and Pelletier.
yikes liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 7:40 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Buffalo Rookies to watch is more than just Power

Quinn was probably the best forward not in the NHL last year, he is also a point per game in the NHL. Peterka is soo good, potential is almost unmeasurable, and the UPL could fit in if he makes the NHL to start the season. Samuelsson is just not a rookie but he is a guy with under 40 NHL games to watch as well. If any other rookie breaks in I would be surprised but u never know. Either way Power - Quinn - Peterka are all ones to watch for a calder race

Forgot about JJP and Quinn. Similar to SJ I guess.
I’d bet on Power/Eklund.
But Bords, Quinn, JJP are sleeper picks.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 7:40 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
I doubt it's really a rebuild since they have a young core, just need to retool for a year or 2. After Tkachuk and Gaudreau go I'd trade away all the older playera and try and build around there young Dcore, Zary, Coronato and Pelletier.

Wolf too
yikes and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 8:06 p.m.
Am I crazy to think that this year's Sabres might finish with around 95-100 points? Last year in there last 30 games they where on pace to get 105 points for the season, and they where playing some very tough competition looking to make there way into the playoffs.

With what goalies? You have the fossil of Craig Anderson, UPL and Malcolm Subban as goalie option, none of them scream I’m going to lead my team to 95-100 points this year
zk97 liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 8:07 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
With what goalies? You have the fossil of Craig Anderson, UPL and Malcolm Subban as goalie option, none of them scream I’m going to lead my team to 95-100 points this year

Comrie
Not that he's any better..
zk97 liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 8:11 p.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Flames filed for Aribation with Tkachuk and Mangiapane along with Kylington both filed them selfs. By my understanding none of these players can be OS'd. Am I right?
Alfie11 liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 8:19 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Quoting: Gmonwy
Flames filed for Aribation with Tkachuk and Mangiapane along with Kylington both filed them selfs. By my understanding none of these players can be OS'd. Am I right?

Yes
Mangiapane and Kylington is automatically 1 year
Tkachuk can choose his term
Jul. 18, 2022 at 8:22 p.m.
Quoting: Gmonwy

Yeah that’s right. That’s why the Flames decided to file for club-elected arbitration with Tkachuk. That also forces a decision to be made by a definite point in time so Tkachuk can’t drag it out until December 5th, although the award will likely be for 1 year at above his QO, because he had an insanely good season (although I guess they could argue he wasn’t as good as Gaudreau, which will inexplicably keep the AAV down lol).
Jul. 18, 2022 at 8:23 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: yikes
I’m showing Tkachuk the new and shiney Coronato and praying Tkachuk waits for that kid.

He’s got star potential and can replace Johnny.

Unfortunately for the flames Coronato is going to request a trade back home to long island
capsfan2121, zk97 and yikes liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 8:39 p.m.
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Unfortunately for the flames Coronato is going to request a trade back home to long island

Right up until Lou offers him well below market value that is
capsfan2121 and yikes liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 8:58 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
No, Montreal’s not paying that much for a Dubois who’s had attitude issues and only wants to play in MTL, that seems like a disaster waiting to happen, Winnipeg has no leverage so there’s no shot we’re moving Barron/Guhle for Dubois, FLA 1st and Dvorak is probably the Habs best offer, we’re not desperate for a C, we have Suzuki, Dvorak, Dach, we don’t need to get Dubois now ( if at all )

Jul. 18, 2022 at 9:11 p.m.
What in tarnation
Someone just told me Detroit improved their defence substantially. 💀💀💀

Chiarot-Seider
Maata-Hronek
Edvinsson-Lindstrom

They upgraded from abysmal to terrible.

Fan-f*cking-tastic
A_Habs_fan, aadoyle and zk97 liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 9:33 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: justaBoss
They upgraded from abysmal to terrible.

Fan-f*cking-tastic

Instead of allowing 11 goals they will allow 9
justaBoss, Alfie11 and zk97 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll