SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(PIT/MTL) - Matheson for Petry, Poehling

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 16, 2022 at 3:47 p.m.
From Montreal's perspective, I have to think that either we're going to be trading Matheson to somebody else or that this is a precursor to trading Edmundson, because (a) this trade by itself creates almost no cap space and actually creates less long-term financial flexibility since Matheson's contract lasts longer than Petry's and (b) we don't need more left D.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 3:48 p.m.
Hockey IQ
Quoting: Random2152
Matheson was terrible in Florida but was really turning it around in Pittsburgh. I am really interested to see how he works out in Montreal now because it will show whether or not it was him figuring it out or something systemically that the Pens were doing to help him exploit his value. Lot of term at a big aav though to take that risk.

Petry has been good in the past but is old and in decline, but if last year was an abhoration then who knows this could be great for PGH but again a mid term at a very high aav carries a lot of risk.

Just an interesting trade all around with a lot of potential downside for all inolved.

Quoting: biased_leafs_fan
AND HABS FANS WANTED BOURQUE + A 1ST 😂😂😂😂

Quoting: SevenLeg
Can't say I'm super satisfied with the return, but we're far from the days people were saying it'd take a 1st to offload Petry.

The market was set by McDonagh & Petry - teams are too tight to the cap and MTL didn't want to retain. Poehling was going to be lost on waivers as well.

Quoting: aadoyle
While im happy Matheson is gone im not happy we in a sense replaced Marino with Petry.

Would have preferred it if we never signed Rutta and went with

Dumo-Letang
Petey-Petry
POJ-Marino

Quoting: Wqrrior
The winner of this trade depends on what version of Matheson MTL gets.

Quoting: aadoyle
I find Pittsburgh's system often brings out the best in players. Remember how good Ceci was for them. Now often these guys once they leave see a regression. Now for Matheson I dont think its gonna be a big one but I feel hes gonna be between what he was in Florida and Pittsburgh

Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

Poehling is a throwaway player.

So it becomes Matheson + 4th for Petry.

Matheson is 6 years younger and signed for 1 more year than Petry, costs $1.4 Million Less and will likely remain as a top 4 defensemen throughout his entire contract wheras Petry will likely start regressing in the next 2 or 3 years. I do like this trade for Montreal, but I voted fair trade because I think both teams do well here.

Quoting: Capitalfail67
Penguins GM should have just called off today....

Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Steal for Pittsburgh, id much rather have Petry than Matheson, Petry may be more expensive but he’s better than Matheson and I don’t like the term on Matheson

Quoting: vmark
Well there you have it. Now our D is stacked. This isn't the last move. But I'll take Petry and Smith over Matheson and Marino every day of the week and twice on game night. Matheson's defensive positioning was atrocious. Marino was overrated as ****. Now we have a guy who is a legit top pair player and a high upside offensive guy who can certainly at the very least pull off a good Matheson impression.

Hexy is on one boys

Quoting: majormoose007
I would've kept Marino and Matheson over Smith and Petry

Quoting: mondo
don't understand this trade for pittsburgh. first they traded their young, defensive rhd for a younger, offensive lhd. then they trade a two-way lhd in his prime for a more expensive, over the hill offensive rhd.

Quoting: Stones6160
I’ll be honest, I don’t get this trade for either side

Petry is the older Dman, had a okay but not a good season, makes more money
Poehling is screwed, Pittsburgh is not the right place to go if he wants any chance at a thorough career

Matheson is very hit or miss, had a better year than Petry yes, but is still shaky, 4 years left could cause trouble for younger Dman to get into the roster, if he falls back to Florida Matheson, good luck Habs

Petry is also 34 and is signed longer term which is sketchy. Obviously Petry is the better player, but we get younger and more cap space. Poehling was terrible last year and would've gotten claimed on waivers this season. It's a good deal.

Quoting: sidney_crosgoat
I really don't know what to say about this

I have no words. Hextall has single-handedly reconstructed the penguins defense core with a couple old guys in letang, petry, and ruuta and one struggling young guy in smith… once again we have no cap space
And WE STILL HAVE 9 DEFENSEMEN!!!
Capitalfail67, KSIxSKULLS, ColonelX and 5 others liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 3:49 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Well there you have it. Now our D is stacked. This isn't the last move. But I'll take Petry and Smith over Matheson and Marino every day of the week and twice on game night. Matheson's defensive positioning was atrocious. Marino was overrated as ****. Now we have a guy who is a legit top pair player and a high upside offensive guy who can certainly at the very least pull off a good Matheson impression.

Hexy is on one boys

delusional .. Matheson + Marino are WAY better. Petry is 36 signed to 6.25m for 3 more years. Penguins keep taking stupid risks. end of the day the traded Marino for Petry and Matheson for Smith...
Pens3lieve, sensonfire and Boubou79 liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 3:50 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Pens3lieve
I have no words. Hextall has single-handedly reconstructed the penguins defense core with a couple old guys in letang, petry, and ruuta and one struggling young guy in smith… once again we have no cap space

I got a feeling Friedman and Rudweal go on waivers
Jul. 16, 2022 at 3:52 p.m.
What in tarnation
Greatest winners are the CF community.

Now these stupid Petry trades can finally stop.
DongLord23, ColonelX, A_Habs_fan and 7 others liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 3:53 p.m.
NoCupsForCanada
The real winner of this trade is Ryan Poehling
Zubrowka liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 3:54 p.m.
Evans truther
Throwing away Poehling is great cause he was either going to steal a spot in Laval from someone that can actually grow his game or get 4th line minutes as a winger which we have too many (Wingers), it also clears an extra 800k that could be used over the year for a short term cap dump OR to pursuit Dubois.
Petry didn't want to be here so that's that. Also to be noted is that we traded an aging defender with a 15 team no-trade list for a younger guy with 8 no-trade so on the long run it could help us if he has to be moved.
I like it for Montreal, they now have margin under the cap (If Price's healthy) to sign Dach.

Quoting: justaBoss
Greatest winners are the CF community.

Now these stupid Petry trades can finally stop.

It was as obnoxious that some Habs fans thought he was worth a 1st as Detroit fans thinking he needed to be moved along with a 1st to be tradeable. Both side of the spectrum can now go to bed.
A_Habs_fan, Stones6160, Andy_Dick and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 3:55 p.m.
Quoting: biased_leafs_fan
AND HABS FANS WANTED BOURQUE + A 1ST 😂😂😂😂

There were far more ppl that were saying Petry was a cap dump.

I had him going for a 2nd and a 3rd. Not too satisfied getting another left handed D but if they were going to trade Petry then they needed some NHL experience after trading Romanov.

They save a few million and Poehling had no more role on this team with Suzuki-Dvorak-Dach-Evans down the middle. 4th for Poehling is meh.
Joe_La_Garnotte liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 3:56 p.m.
Petry is also 34 and is signed longer term which is sketchy. Obviously Petry is the better player, but we get younger and more cap space. Poehling was terrible last year and would've gotten claimed on waivers this season. It's a good deal.

Petry has less term than Matheson, no idea what you’re talking about
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 3:58 p.m.
WentWughes
Petry has less term than Matheson, no idea what you’re talking about

Read the first part of that statement. He's 34. Not good to have guys that age signed to longer term deals. Matheson is 6 years younger than Petry.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 4:00 p.m.
Read the first part of that statement. He's 34. Not good to have guys that age signed to longer term deals. Matheson is 6 years younger than Petry.

Except I don’t trust Matheson at all to be good, he’s had an outlier analytically good year, at least with Petry, I know I’m getting a decent 2nd pair guy, Matheson’s looking like a #4 D at best
KSIxSKULLS and Andy_Dick liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 4:00 p.m.

You just worded it wrong. He's signed not longer term but too far in age.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 4:01 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
You just worded it wrong. He's signed not longer term but too far in age.

I didn't mean longer in comparison to Matheson, I just meant his contract isn't expiring anytime soon. Guess I could've worded it better.
OldNYIfan liked this.
retired
big w for pittsburg
vmark liked this.
Except I don’t trust Matheson at all to be good, he’s had an outlier analytically good year, at least with Petry, I know I’m getting a decent 2nd pair guy, Matheson’s looking like a #4 D at best

Really bizarre trade. Matheson was rumoured for years going to go Montreal as a native Montrealer when he was with Florida. Seems like another "character" move than Bergevin was famous for
Jul. 16, 2022 at 4:03 p.m.
IG vincemark78
Quoting: Pens3lieve

Yea they are going to move someone else most likely Pettersson. You say a couple old guys like a clueless hockey fan here. Two are on 3 years deals. Letang is a freak of nature and a legend. He is still one of the best top pair guys in the league. Nothing about that has changed. Say what you want about Rutta but he clearly knows how to play with talented players ie he's probably smart. But Petry has been a top pairing guy for like 7 years at least. He might not be getting any better but he doesn't have to be RIGHT NOW IN THIS MOMENT he is 100%, hands down, WAY BETTER than Marino and Matheson. Not even close. Smith is 22. He has a legit ceiling. These trades made us much better today than when we got bounced by NYR.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 4:05 p.m.
sensonfire
Pittsburgh is chasing their losses at this point after swapping Marino for Ty Smith.

Nothing else to it.

Montreal wins the trade.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 4:06 p.m.
Huskies
Jeff Petry will instantly request a trade because he wanted to stay with a Canadian team
Former Hockey Fan
Having Petry gone is extremely sad, but not unexpected.

Having Poehling gone is great. Although they added someone who’s also a terrible person (for the reason of being dirty and violent rather than racist and having sh*tty morals). Although one of those is probably more fixable than the other, so I guess it’s a fine trade off?
IG vincemark78
Quoting: Capitalfail67
delusional .. Matheson + Marino are WAY better. Petry is 36 signed to 6.25m for 3 more years. Penguins keep taking stupid risks. end of the day the traded Marino for Petry and Matheson for Smith...

lol no they arent. you have no idea what youre talkin about
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 4:07 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
I think Pens won for just a little bit in this trade. You can say it's a fair one. If Petry plays like the season before and Poehling improves his game, then it'll be a huge win for us. On the other hand, Matheson showed some improve in his game, specially defensively. We'll see the result on the ice...
Jul. 16, 2022 at 4:08 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
It’ll also be weird to see Petry wearing the jersey of the team that he scored on in his most memorable moment with Montréal.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 4:10 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
jeff
lol no they arent. you have no idea what youre talkin about

By every metric, stat... Petry is a far better defenseman. Dont know where these ppl get their info. Top15 RHD the last 5 years. Those RHD are almost impossible to acquire in trade. If he didnt request a trade, he'd still be in Montreal. This org is always stubborn about their history, pride and reputation.
vmark and jpsnow13 liked this.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: TheWolfe
The real winner of this trade is Ryan Poehling

I mean it’s probably a better location for him than Montréal, but somewhere further south like Dallas would probably be where he’d find himself more at home. squinting with tongue out

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit