SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(PIT/MTL) - Matheson for Petry, Poehling

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 16, 2022 at 5:39 p.m.
Crazy Penguins Fan
I don't hate this trade, but if Petry regresses I won't be happy.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 6:33 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Missed the timing to get good value for him, so this was more about accommodating him while moving his full contract.
After Burns was moved with retention, and most teams filled their RHD needs, his potential destinations kept dropping and the market was set low.
At the end of the day, he's worth more than Pittsburgh paid, but the circumstances were in their favor and Montreal wasn't willing to wait for a better time.
Best of luck with the Pens, Petry!
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 6:35 p.m.
Western Champs
Quoting: biased_leafs_fan
AND HABS FANS WANTED BOURQUE + A 1ST 😂😂😂😂

Quoting: DongLord23
HAHAHAHA where were all the Habs fans saying Petry would get a 1st back.

Quoting: WallStreet83
Poor Montréal fans, no more 1st and Bourque trades for Petry. Oh well, I'm sure there's other players on your team you can overvalue.

Quoting: Saskleaf
Haha so much for those Petry for 5 firsts and McDavid.

Who ****ing said that??
JeyCH22 and Andy_Dick liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 6:51 p.m.
BigMeech
Quoting: Joe_La_Garnotte
Who ****ing said that??

habs fans on acgm
well it was more like 2 firsts and a A+ prospect
Jul. 16, 2022 at 7:12 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

Poehling is a throwaway player.

So it becomes Matheson + 4th for Petry.

Matheson is 6 years younger and signed for 1 more year than Petry, costs $1.4 Million Less and will likely remain as a top 4 defensemen throughout his entire contract wheras Petry will likely start regressing in the next 2 or 3 years. I do like this trade for Montreal, but I voted fair trade because I think both teams do well here.

Perry won't start regressing he has started regressing.

If Montreal gets the Pittsburgh version of Matheson it's a big win for Montreal.
Western Champs
Quoting: Canucks123
habs fans on acgm
well it was more like 2 firsts and a A+ prospect

Well maybe one or two idiots but most habs fan knew he wasn't worth more than McDonagh, so about nothing at his full salary
JeyCH22 and Canucks123 liked this.
You know nothing JS
Clear MTL loss here.

Matheson's only upside is to be from Montreal. But he's terrible🤦

The minimal acceptable return was another RHD for Petry (aka Marino, Hronek). KH failed to generate value or adress needs on this one. FAIL.
Canucks123 liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 8:29 p.m.
Western Champs
The positive is that they cleared cap space to sign Rem Pitlick
Jul. 16, 2022 at 8:34 p.m.
Go leafs go
Who ****ing said that??

Mine was clearly hyperbole. The others were pretty much the consensus of habs fans on ACGM.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 8:35 p.m.
Chiggy
Quoting: mondo
don't understand this trade for pittsburgh. first they traded their young, defensive rhd for a younger, offensive lhd. then they trade a two-way lhd in his prime for a more expensive, over the hill offensive rhd.

Petry is far more "two-way" than Matheson, who drives offense but needs to be sheltered defensively. Petry has good defensive metrics.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 8:53 p.m.
Jinx god
I’m just glad there’s no more Petry to Dallas for a ridiculous overpayment when they clearly can’t afford him AC-GM’s.
kdawg32086 and justaBoss liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 9:41 p.m.
Clearly Pittsburgh is going for a 3 year playoff window here with the best options available to them. The D market was thin and expensive this off season; so not many deals to be had. LA had some RHD options but not many rumors about who they were shopping and what their asking price was; I thought Walker to NJ made a lot of sense.

Penguins can keep Zucker and can sign Kapanen now which should be factored in to the overall picture of what they accomplished today.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jul. 16, 2022 at 10:18 p.m.
sen krak fan
Not sure why the Habs did that, but okay,
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:47 a.m.
Well maybe one or two idiots but most habs fan knew he wasn't worth more than McDonagh, so about nothing at his full salary

People on twitter were asking for the moon. Because those ppl are supposed to present the rationale folks here.

I saw maybe 1 person on here overvalue Petry. Most Habs fans here got this right.
He wasnt a cap dump, there was no money retained and they got a cheap asset to flip down the line.
I argued for weeks here that Petry had value when ppl were attaching picks to dump him and saying they wouldnt want his contract as it would be an anchor.
Hughes somehow got value when Petry demanded a trade and in a tight cap market where the Sharks retained 30% salary on Burns.
Habs fans here, once again, take the W on capfriendly.
Joe_La_Garnotte liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:55 a.m.
Quoting: OutDoorRinkBoy
Not sure why the Habs did that, but okay,

He requested a trade. This org always has quickly moved on from the bad apples. This team will be a disaster defensively without Petry and Romanov. Not the worst case scenario in a draft with 2-3 generational players, 8-10 legit prospects
SadSensFan14 and vmark liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 7:05 a.m.
Western Champs
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
People on twitter were asking for the moon. Because those ppl are supposed to present the rationale folks here.

I saw maybe 1 person on here overvalue Petry. Most Habs fans here got this right.
He wasnt a cap dump, there was no money retained and they got a cheap asset to flip down the line.
I argued for weeks here that Petry had value when ppl were attaching picks to dump him and saying they wouldnt want his contract as it would be an anchor.
Hughes somehow got value when Petry demanded a trade and in a tight cap market where the Sharks retained 30% salary on Burns.
Habs fans here, once again, take the W on capfriendly.

Yeah sometimes a few people sounds like the majority, but on the radio and podcast most people knew he was a cap dump
Jul. 17, 2022 at 8:32 a.m.
WentWughes
He requested a trade. This org always has quickly moved on from the bad apples. This team will be a disaster defensively without Petry and Romanov. Not the worst case scenario in a draft with 2-3 generational players, 8-10 legit prospects

Reminder that Romanov was horrendous in his own area.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 8:33 a.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Reminder that Romanov was horrendous in his own area.

He got better with MSL but I agree, brainfarts were frequent under Ducharme. He was a fan favourite but clearly lots of holes in his game. Getting the 13th OA for him was quite the miracle! Lou going to Lou
vmark liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 8:34 a.m.
WentWughes
He got better with MSL but I agree, brainfarts were frequent under Ducharme

I'll probably get hate for this take, but I also think Richardson was a terrible defensive coach. I don't think the defense improved much under MSL, our transitional play improved.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 10:13 a.m.
sen krak fan

Oh yup forgot about that.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 11:21 a.m.
IG vincemark78
Quoting: majormoose007
I would've kept Marino and Matheson over Smith and Petry

Why? It seems like people who liked this comment have no idea what they're talking about.

Marino is overrated. Matheson was terrible in his own end. I was so excited we traded Marino and actually got a legit piece back that can help now. To upgrade Matheson to Petry right before my eyes was a sight to behold. I'm a huge pens fan. I watch loads of games and never miss a single play off game. Matheson and Marino were pretty terrible vs NYR, ESPECIALLY in their own zone. Now we have someone who can develop into his own version of Matheson/Letang with a legit ceiling and another guy who is a legit top 4 guy who is leaps and bounds better at actually playing D, and who is also motivated to WIN NOW.

It's a massive W for the organization, the fans, and the core players who want another run before it's all said and done.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 11:48 a.m.
Petry was supposed to go for a first round draft pick.

Doesn’t get much further from a first round draft pick than Mike Matheson 😂😂😂
aedoran liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 6:30 p.m.
You Habs really showed us. How many times was j told a 2nd for him wasn't too much haha
Jul. 17, 2022 at 10:20 p.m.
I think Matheson gets way too much hate. He was great on Pittsburgh this season. However, he was given a more sheltered role. On MTL it looks like he’ll be their #1D lol which likely won’t end well. In terms of value I think it’s a fair trade, but I’m not sure how Matheson will perform in MTL playing likely 22+ mins a night.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 10:24 p.m.
Quoting: mhockey91
I think Matheson gets way too much hate. He was great on Pittsburgh this season. However, he was given a more sheltered role. On MTL it looks like he’ll be their #1D lol which likely won’t end well. In terms of value I think it’s a fair trade, but I’m not sure how Matheson will perform in MTL playing likely 22+ mins a night.

I expect a lot of chaos. That is fine in a rebuild. They'll need some more experience, moving Romanov out and now Petry. It's getting thin. They got nothing on the right side to cover his end to end rushes. He's a placeholder, nothing more. They have a ton of left D prospects. A big reason why they could flip Romanov. If anything he can be flipped for a decent return as his contract should age well. Gudbranson almost makes as much as Mikey M. from Pointe Claire. With the cap going up, his deal will be looked at as a bargain.
mhockey91 and Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit