SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed Pierre Engvall (1 Year / $2,250,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 17, 2022 at 6:56 p.m.
I would've expected more term at this AAV. Why not lock him up for 3 years and get some cap certainty? It's. not like he's gonna break out for 30G or be terrible next season.
palhal liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 7:56 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Fair value for him, however Toronto is now over the cap and will have to trade someone.

So capped strapped that they are worse than last year and still not cap compliant.

They're actually not over the cap. The team listed has 22 skaters. Waive Clifford and one of Gaudette/Anderson and they're 8k under the cap. Obviously it's not what they're going to stick with but they're technically not over.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 8:02 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: BCAPP
They're actually not over the cap. The team listed has 22 skaters. Waive Clifford and one of Gaudette/Anderson and they're 8k under the cap. Obviously it's not what they're going to stick with but they're technically not over.

Obviously it's best to have a 23 man roster, but I guess you are correct. Still not good
BCAPP liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 8:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Brian2016
I would've expected more term at this AAV. Why not lock him up for 3 years and get some cap certainty? It's. not like he's gonna break out for 30G or be terrible next season.

Engvall's a very streaky player and honestly if we look at Toronto they got some rookies who could start pushing for spots in 2023

Holmberg, Knies, Hirovinen, etc. So Dubas can use Engvall's money next year to extend Bunting for instance

Like hes not irreplaceable, hes a good tall bottom 6 wing who can PK. But if we look at his production this year was crazy for a lot of guys would not be surprised if next year we see regression throughout the league
Brian2016 liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 8:24 p.m.
average joe
I think Calle Järnkrok signed for maybe $200k more than I would have paid. Here, I think this is about $300k over. Both were very player friendly contracts. The first, giving an aging player long term, and this giving the player UFA status as soon as possible. Add that to the $1.5M they overpaid for Murray. All cases where the Leafs were in a relatively strong position - and overpaid.
Teams are running out of money and any future signings will likely be for lower than originally suspects.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 8:34 p.m.
Obviously it's best to have a 23 man roster, but I guess you are correct. Still not good

Exactly. And Sandin unsigned. The last few years theyve been running a 21-22 man roster. I suspect they will this year too.

Personally I'd try to trade kerfoot and sign either Donato on a 1 year prove it deal or stastny on a 1 year deal with low aav and bonuses
rollie1967 liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 8:35 p.m.
Quoting: Messier99
I think Calle Järnkrok signed for maybe $200k more than I would have paid. Here, I think this is about $300k over. Both were very player friendly contracts. The first, giving an aging player long term, and this giving the player UFA status as soon as possible. Add that to the $1.5M they overpaid for Murray. All cases where the Leafs were in a relatively strong position - and overpaid.
Teams are running out of money and any future signings will likely be for lower than originally suspects.

Jarnkrok is an aging player? It's his first Ufa contract at 30. He's not young but I wouldn't call him aging. I'm frankly impressed with his cap hit.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 9:00 p.m.
average joe
Edited Jul. 17, 2022 at 10:49 p.m.
Quoting: BCAPP
Jarnkrok is an aging player? It's his first Ufa contract at 30. He's not young but I wouldn't call him aging. I'm frankly impressed with his cap hit.

He's 2nd oldest forward on the team (of those the team has anything invested in - e.g. >$1M AAV). In 3 years he will be the oldest outright.
I understand going longer term to lower the AAV on Järnkrok - But based on the past few days of minimal signings, I suspect that the Leafs were bidding against themselves.
palhal liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 9:26 p.m.
hes not a bad player, and might flourish on a different team with more icetime....but hes not the player nor the caphit that the leafs need.

somebody is on the move though- they cant go a full season with a 20 man roster.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 9:45 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: MatthewsFan
They also see Robertson and Knies coming this year (Knies as early after his college season). Couple that with Bunting needing a new deal, kinda makes sense.

This also shows they have more faith in Jarnkrok being the Engvall replacement going forward

Knies, Robertson, Holmberg, etc

Like honestly Engvall is pretty replaceable

I got a feeling his production is dropping next season and with Bunting needing an extension should see this go into that
MatthewsFan liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 11:52 p.m.
No regretzkys
Fair value for him, however Toronto is now over the cap and will have to trade someone.

So capped strapped that they are worse than last year and still not cap compliant.

Sorry but you can't say they are worse than last year... Its the same team.
Only changes have been bottom 6 forwards and the goalies who weren't that great anyway.

There are too many uncertainties in a season to say that a team "got worse" unless there are substantial changes.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 12:27 a.m.
Go leafs go
I thought he’d be at least 500k cheaper.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 7:10 a.m.
There needs to be a "meh" button.

Engvall had arbitration rights, so we won't know how fair/unfair relative to market this is until we see what kind of awards similar players get. He will have had more leverage than most RFAs, but looking at this on it's face, its not likely to be a "Bad" deal, in that Engvall, based on age and history, is likely to easily live up to the amount he got.

The Meh part comes in because it's higher than many expected, and there was no additional term given, which usually is something the team wants when a player is an RFA.

I would lean "yes" it's a good deal, but entirely based on the fact that Engvall is likely worth at least the amount he signed for, and there are no future years to muddy the waters or turn it into a negative value if he doesn't continue his progression from last year, but having said that, there is nothing here to get excited about.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 9:55 a.m.
Holly Knows Best
DUBASS! Goddam paying guys for there lack of playoff success. Classic!
Jul. 21, 2022 at 9:58 a.m.
Miss YA Killer
Edited Jul. 26, 2022 at 8:08 p.m.
Quoting: RKLW
Someone is getting traded, probably Muzzin... maybe Holl

Has Muzzin given any indication he's willing to leave the team he grew up playing for? What makes people think he's just going to? It's a lot different than McDonagh players pay for NMC/NTC's in either AAV,TERM or BOTH most don't waive.
Messier99 liked this.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 11:31 a.m.
NoQuitInNewYork
When I was a leafs fan I liked Engvall, but $2,225,000? To much. Would’ve liked it if it was $1,900,000 or $2,000,000

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit