Muzzin Waives for Sunny Southern California

Created by: OldNYIfan
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 17, 2022
Published: Jul. 17, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Trade a la the Mrazek transaction.

No need now to find homes for Kerfoot and Holl, and $2.75 million left for a seventh defenseman/upgrade.

I have Jordie Benn on the Taxi Squad to show you that I haven't forgotten about him.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,925,000
2$1,500,000
Trades
TOR
  1. 2023 2nd round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
Pick is the middle of the 3 seconds Anaheim owns, but if Toronto's 2023 first shifts to 2024, then the Maple Leafs get the Boston 2024 second
ANA
  1. Muzzin, Jake
  2. 2023 1st round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Pick is top-10 protected
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$79,589,783$212,500$0$2,910,217
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,925,000$1,925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
LW
UFA - 2
Taxi Squad
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:09 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
IMO if Muzzin does waive, ANA makes a ton on sense with the lack of vet LD right now.

Not going to comment on the return, I don’t believe it will be this tho
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:11 p.m.
ginger
I think muzzin could wavie but, I wouldn't send in a 1st to get rid of him. I'd do a 3rd and a 5th and possibly a 7th. then just get the second or 3rd in return
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:12 p.m.
Shibbal18
Quoting: MatthewsFan
IMO if Muzzin does waive, ANA makes a ton on sense with the lack of vet LD right now.

...Cam Fowler
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:23 p.m.

Quoting: NR1
I think muzzin could wavie but, I wouldn't send in a 1st to get rid of him. I'd do a 3rd and a 5th and possibly a 7th. then just get the second or 3rd in return

View it as Anaheim moving up a few spots in the draft to take on Muzzin's contract and us just sliding down a couple of spots. It says in the description ''Trade a la the Mrazek transaction.'' If we are a playoff team that hopefully moves past the 1st round, our pick is somewhere in the 24-32 range. Anaheim are most likely going to pick in the top 5, so we would move down from let's say 25 to 37 in the draft to dump his contract.

Hope that makes sense to you guys.

The return makes sense in terms of compensation too. Yes Muzzin's cap hit is higher than Mrazek, but he is actually owed less in real dollars ($6M vs $8.6M).
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:26 p.m.
whatsmyageagain281
Quoting: Shibbal18
...Cam Fowler

One player. Kind of proving his point they have a lack of veteran LHD if Cam Fowler is the one and only example.
chefed and Cadyn liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:27 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: BallPuckFellow10
View it as Anaheim moving up a few spots in the draft to take on Muzzin's contract and us just sliding down a couple of spots. It says in the description ''Trade a la the Mrazek transaction.'' If we are a playoff team that hopefully moves past the 1st round, our pick is somewhere in the 24-32 range. Anaheim are most likely going to pick in the top 5, so we would move down from let's say 25 to 37 in the draft to dump his contract.

Hope that makes sense to you guys.

The return makes sense in terms of compensation too. Yes Muzzin's cap hit is higher than Mrazek, but he is actually owed less in real dollars ($6M vs $8.6M).

Thanks captain obvious, where did I say I didn’t get.

I said, I don’t believe this is what the Leafs would do.

Learn how to read
chefed liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:31 p.m.
Thanks captain obvious, where did I say I didn’t get.

I said, I don’t believe this is what the Leafs would do.

Learn how to read

Where did I say that you didn't get it? I just explained why it made sense.

Learn how to read.

Jokes aside, Anaheim maybe squeezes us a little harder because we don't have the same leverage now as we did at the draft.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:32 p.m.
Do you think you get Muzzin for free and get an additional asset .Only in LA LA LAND
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:38 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Where did I say that you didn't get it? I just explained why it made sense.

Learn how to read.

Jokes aside, Anaheim maybe squeezes us a little harder because we don't have the same leverage now as we did at the draft.

“Hope that makes sense”

Mrazek was a cap dump.

Muzzin absolutely still has value. Yes, his injury his is absolutely a concern but came back healthy for the playoffs and played extremely well with Brodie.

Muzzin would not be a cap dump, he still has value.

I absolutely believe they would not be interested in just having cap space should they move him. This trade does not make sense in comparison to the Mrazek deal.

Muzzin has value 🤷‍♂️
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:46 p.m.
“Hope that makes sense”

Mrazek was a cap dump.

Muzzin absolutely still has value. Yes, his injury his is absolutely a concern but came back healthy for the playoffs and played extremely well with Brodie.

I absolutely believe they would not be interested in just having cap space should they move him. This trade does not make sense in comparison to the Mrazek deal.

Muzzin has value 🤷‍♂️

Exactly, hope that made sense, lol.

Muzzin wouldn't be a cap dump then? We can currently only fit a 20 man roster under the cap. So we need to move someone in order to have a bigger roster and sign Sandin. Hence why moving Muzzin would be a cap-dump.

Does Muzzin have value? Absolutely, but Anaheim doesn't need to make the trade, we do. In this deal we have no leverage, Anaheim does. It is common sense really.

We could look at other options like moving Kerfoot + Holl or something even bigger.

What is crystal clear is that moving Muzzin is a cap-dump because we need the space to resign players and have a full roster. It is not a hockey trade that makes us a better team.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:50 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Exactly, hope that made sense, lol.

Muzzin wouldn't be a cap dump then? We can currently only fit a 20 man roster under the cap. So we need to move someone in order to have a bigger roster and sign Sandin. Hence why moving Muzzin would be a cap-dump.

Does Muzzin have value? Absolutely, but Anaheim doesn't need to make the trade, we do. In this deal we have no leverage, Anaheim does. It is common sense really.

We could look at other options like moving Kerfoot + Holl or something even bigger.

What is crystal clear is that moving Muzzin is a cap-dump because we need the space to resign players and have a full roster. It is not a hockey trade that makes us a better team.

I will call it now so we can come back to this, IF Muzzin is traded, it will be a hockey deal. A roster player, most likely a fwd, will be coming back.

Not just picks
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:51 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
“Hope that makes sense”

Mrazek was a cap dump.

Muzzin has value 🤷‍♂️

I think that you're failing to see that a player (in this case Muzzin) can have two different values to different teams.

Mrazek was a cap dump to both teams, while Muzzin still has significant on-ice value . . . I don't think otherwise, let alone dispute that. So he's not a cap dump to Toronto, but he is to Anaheim because the Ducks aren't acquiring him for on-ice value since Anaheim isn't close to making the playoffs in the next two seasons and Muzzin isn't going to get them there. The only reason why the Ducks would acquire Muzzin and his massive cap hit is for an incentive. Without the incentive, there's no deal.
BallPuckFellow10 liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:54 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I think that you're failing to see that a player (in this case Muzzin) can have two different values to different teams.

Mrazek was a cap dump to both teams, while Muzzin still has significant on-ice value . . . I don't think otherwise, let alone dispute that. So he's not a cap dump to Toronto, but he is to Anaheim because the Ducks aren't acquiring him for on-ice value since Anaheim isn't close to making the playoffs in the next two seasons and Muzzin isn't going to get them there. The only reason why the Ducks would acquire Muzzin and his massive cap hit is for an incentive. Without the incentive, there's no deal.

It’s fun to play GM armchair on here, so we can all have our own opinions.

Since never of us can see into the future, you boys can have the picks and I will stay with a roster player coming back
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:56 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I will call it now so we can come back to this, IF Muzzin is traded, it will be a hockey deal. A roster player, most likely a fwd, will be coming back.

Not just picks

I will be happy to revisit this IF and when Muzzin gets traded, which today's signing of PIerre Engvall makes even more imperative. But I think that Dubas will give Kerfoot away instead, because I can't see Muzzin waiving his NTC for anywhere other than a playoff contender likely to want him and able to afford him.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:56 p.m.

Not just picks

I am not saying that Muzzin won't be traded in a hockey deal. It is very possible that he will. I have no clue what Dubas is planning. But in this specific scenario from the OP, Muzzin is a cap dump, and I understand why he set it up that way if you think logically what the needs are for both hockey clubs.

Anaheim can trade with 30 other teams or sign FA's to reach the floor, they essentially have no direct need for Muzzin. We have a direct need to free up some cap-space.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 5:58 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: chefed
Do you think you get Muzzin for free and get an additional asset .Only in LA LA LAND

We're not getting Muzzin for free. It's costing us $5.625 million in cap space and giving you the ability to add two $2.5 million cap hit players without having to trade anyone away, like Alex Kerfoot. So you're getting three benefits here.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 6:05 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I will be happy to revisit this IF and when Muzzin gets traded, which today's signing of PIerre Engvall makes even more imperative. But I think that Dubas will give Kerfoot away instead, because I can't see Muzzin waiving his NTC for anywhere other than a playoff contender likely to want him and able to afford him.

I am not saying that Muzzin won't be traded in a hockey deal. It is very possible that he will. I have no clue what Dubas is planning. But in this specific scenario from the OP, Muzzin is a cap dump, and I understand why he set it up that way if you think logically what the needs are for both hockey clubs. And if Verbeek said no, deal is dead. But I don’t foresee Kyle trading Muzzin simply for cap space

Anaheim can trade with 30 other teams or sign FA's to reach the floor, they essentially have no direct need for Muzzin. We have a direct need to free up some cap-space.

I am very happy to agree to disagree and just go back to my original post. IMO (which could be dead wrong) IF Muzzin were to agree to a trade and was willing to go to ANA, it is my believe Kyle would not simply Judy trade him for a puck swap. He has value and would want something coming back in the form of a roster player with upside. And if
Jul. 17, 2022 at 6:09 p.m.
I am very happy to agree to disagree and just go back to my original post. IMO (which could be dead wrong) IF Muzzin were to agree to a trade and was willing to go to ANA, it is my believe Kyle would not simply Judy trade him for a puck swap. He has value and would want something coming back in the form of a roster player with upside. And if

You can't count anything out.

But, what would be the incentive for Anaheim to take on Muzzin? They are most likely a team that will want to finish as close to the bottom as possible in order to have a chance at a top pick. Does adding Muzzin help them achieve this goal? Personally don't think so. Logically you'd think they'd want a sweetener to take Muzzin on-board.

On a side note, I also think Anaheim could be a player as a third party in a three-way trade. If the Leafs find a hockey trade with a contender, Anaheim can use their cap-space to help both teams get what they want.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 6:14 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
You can't count anything out.

But, what would be the incentive for Anaheim to take on Muzzin? They are most likely a team that will want to finish as close to the bottom as possible in order to have a chance at a top pick. Does adding Muzzin help them achieve this goal? Personally don't think so.

Does a team make this deal if they want to finish at the bottom?

This was a team that was in the playoff race till late in the season last year. Adding a vet like Muzzin to provide some leadership and toughness to young group could be really good
Jul. 17, 2022 at 6:22 p.m.

This was a team that was in the playoff race till late in the season last year. Adding a vet like Muzzin to provide some leadership and toughness to young group could be really good

Obviously.

Firstly, Strome doesn't move the needle that much, he essentially replaces Getzlaf.

Secondly, without doing that move they would be $16M under the cap floor. They needed to add some dollars from free agency.

Your next argument is probably going to be, adding Muzzin's $5.625M will help them get closer to the floor. That is true. But there are probably 25 other teams in the league that likely wants to move a contract which means that Anaheim still has all the leverage in a potential deal that see's them taking on a significant cap-hit. Why should they chose to ''help'' the Leafs when they can play all the teams against each other in order to receive the best possible package?
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 6:25 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Obviously.

Firstly, Strome doesn't move the needle that much, he essentially replaces Getzlaf.

Secondly, without doing that move they would be $16M under the cap floor. They needed to add some dollars from free agency.

Your next argument is probably going to be, adding Muzzin's $5.625M will help them get closer to the floor. That is true. But there are probably 25 other teams in the league that likely wants to move a contract which means that Anaheim still has all the leverage in a potential deal that see's them taking on a significant cap-hit.

Lol no more arguments, you win so this can be over. Muzzin for picks makes total sense
Jul. 17, 2022 at 6:31 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too

But note that Strome was signed for 5 seasons, not 2 -- i.e., to carry into what we anticipate will be the opening of our window of contention. That's why I think we'll hang on to John Gibson for the same exact time.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 6:32 p.m.
Edited Jul. 17, 2022 at 6:37 p.m.
Lol no more arguments, you win so this can be over. Muzzin for picks makes total sense

It is not about ''winning'' lol. Just thinking a little bit critically.

You are not wrong in Muzzin having value, he does. He is not a scrub. He is also a good vet that would be good for the younger players, no doubt. But Anaheim can find other players that can be ''good vets'' that aren't on 2 year deals. It is just how the market works.

For a team that is a contender and wants Muzzin's services, Toronto can ask for assets back. In this case it would with 99% certainty be the Leafs calling Anaheim to make a deal, not the other way around. The Ducks have all the leverage.

Is it completely unrealistic that the Leafs get a roster player back from Anaheim? Of course not. I just don't think there are too many players on Anaheims roster that the Leafs would be interested in & the Ducks willing to part with.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 6:43 p.m.
TheLeafsAbuseMe
I’d do this in a minute but Dubas won’t
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 17, 2022 at 6:47 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: DougieGilmour
I’d do this in a minute but Dubas won’t

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Plus, there's the pretty good chance Muzzin doesn't go along with it, anyway.
DougieGilmour liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll