SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

San Jose Sharks signed Kaapo Kähkönen (2 Years / $2,750,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 19, 2022 at 3:43 a.m.
Sharks have a long road ahead of them for the next 5 years. Dare I say even Arizona has an easier path to rebuild.
Jul. 19, 2022 at 3:46 a.m.
I like this Kaapo better than the other one.
Jul. 19, 2022 at 5:22 a.m.
Little much, I was expecting same contract as Hill, both guys are around the same age and had similar numbers if you don’t consider the Injuries. I just hope he can be an average .910 % 2.5 GGA goalie.
Jul. 19, 2022 at 7:31 a.m.
I am surprised he got this much, but it's been such a weird market for goalies, it isn't crazy, just a tad higher than expected.

Kahkonen seems like he could be a good goalie, but he's a prospect project for all intents and purposes. His advanced analytics haven't been particularly great, but no goalies are in Minnesota. Goalies traditional stats are always very good, but the team defensive metrics are always incredible while the expected save percentage is so high goalies have a hard time not underperforming it.

This makes some sense as goalies have come and gone, had great numbers, then struggled elsewhere, but at the same time, this defense just doesn't seem as strong as it used to be (but their offense is way up), and they have gone through various different coaches with different styles, so you start to get the feeling that some of it may be that the shot attempt and location tracking are biased, which makes them hard to gauge.

Either way, Kahkonen is 25, had decent traditional numbers, and certainly not enough games played as an NHL goalie to come to any real conclusions about what his ceiling is. So given the Sharks are in a re-tool, finding out what they have on a 2 year deal seems like a decent enough bet. If he's terrible, he will help them get a higher pick. If he's very good, then you have a 25 year old goalie that could become your starter. No risk really, but some decent upside potential.
yikes, Sportnilsson and Jrroisman liked this.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 8:45 p.m.
NoQuitInNewYork
Not a bad deal at all. I would’ve liked it a little bit more if it was $2,500,000, but it’s fine

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit