SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Winnipeg Jets

What is Tyler Myers worth?

May 16, 2017 at 1:09 p.m.
Winnipeg would be fools to trade Trouba, he is a young 1st pair RHD. Buffy is still good and hugely important to team chemistry. So that leaves Myers and on a budget team you can't have a 5 mil 3rd pair defenseman.

So who would be interested in taking a risk on Myers who missed most of last season.

Philly? A lot of aging veterans, they need to compete now and need a RHD. Would they part with Morin or Sanheim?

Calgary could use a veteran RHD and Myers is better than Stone. Would they do it for Kylington plus.

A lot of teams could use the RHD depth.

What if Winnipeg retained 1 mil.

Thoughts?
May 16, 2017 at 1:14 p.m.
rokkinman139
Eh, getting the #2 pick really lengthened Philly's timetable. They don't have to win now because we have potential replacements for all of those who will be aging or old by the time they're ready to compete. #2 will probably net them G's replacement and Jake and Simmer are really just entering their primes. They could be phased out though by guys like Konecny and Lindblom. The Flyers really don't need Myers either because they have Gudas and Myers who are both RHD that are up or will be up very soon and Ghost is a killer when he plays his off side. On top of all of that, they already have one 3rd pair D (at best) making 5 million. Don't need another one.
NateElder12 liked this.
May 16, 2017 at 1:30 p.m.
I like Eich
Bogosian for Myers swap! laugh
Mostly kidding... sort of... I really miss Myers and could be interesting having him play behind Ristolainen on 2nd pair
May 16, 2017 at 1:38 p.m.
NateElder12
Yeah zero chance the Flyers need Myers and I don't see him being the missing piece to win us a cup. We have about 5 or 6 more valuable defenseman. I'd give you AMac, Laughton and a 4th for Myers and that's about it...
May 16, 2017 at 1:42 p.m.
Chezyldayoff
1. Not really sure why I keep hearing people say you "can't have a 5.5 mill guy on the 3rd pair".????
We have a ton of cap space for the next two years (the length of his deal) and we've had issues with our defence for years. Wouldn't it be nice to have some depth so if someone gets hurt (always happens) we have a top 4 calibre guy we can bump up the depth chart?

2. He carries a 5. 5 cap hit but is cash cheap (due his 10 mill signing bonus) ...we are actually only paying him 3.5'ish. If we have the space why does it matter what his AAV is?

3. Any value his has now is very low based on the fact that he's had several surgeries and missed almost an entire year....if we do trade him (and I"m not opposed to doing that at some point) it would have to be once he's rebuilt his trade value.
May 16, 2017 at 1:44 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Really, not sure what happened to him. He was a top 4, possibly top 2, defenseman in Buffalo ... now, he could probably pick up a 6th, and yes, i actually think they could get something for him (i know you guys will probably say they have to give up something to get rid of him though laugh).
May 17, 2017 at 2:13 p.m.
Sensible Commentary
Quoting: chezyldayoff
1. Not really sure why I keep hearing people say you "can't have a 5.5 mill guy on the 3rd pair".????
We have a ton of cap space for the next two years (the length of his deal) and we've had issues with our defence for years. Wouldn't it be nice to have some depth so if someone gets hurt (always happens) we have a top 4 calibre guy we can bump up the depth chart?

2. He carries a 5. 5 cap hit but is cash cheap (due his 10 mill signing bonus) ...we are actually only paying him 3.5'ish. If we have the space why does it matter what his AAV is?

3. Any value his has now is very low based on the fact that he's had several surgeries and missed almost an entire year....if we do trade him (and I"m not opposed to doing that at some point) it would have to be once he's rebuilt his trade value.
- Point 3 is a valid one.
- You may think the Jets have cap space now, but, before Myers' contract is up, the Jets need to:

- figure out what's happening with Bryan Little and if he deserves a pay bump
- probably give Adam Lowry a modest pay raise; he's a fairly good 3C
- give Nikolaj Ehlers his payday
- give Jacob Trouba his payday
- give Josh Morrissey a pay raise
- give Connor Hellebuyck a pay raise

They're going to become a cap ceiling team soon, and that means all of their contracts need to be good value. Tyler Myers playing on the 3rd pairing is not good value for his contract. Also, his contract may be backloaded, but the AAV is what counts towards the salary cap.
May 17, 2017 at 3:31 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DragonRaptorHybrid
Quoting: chezyldayoff

- You may think the Jets have cap space now, but, before Myers' contract is up, the Jets need to:

They're going to become a cap ceiling team soon, and that means all of their contracts need to be good value. Tyler Myers playing on the 3rd pairing is not good value for his contract. Also, his contract may be backloaded, but the AAV is what counts towards the salary cap.

I think Little is moved for a defenseman. i like the idea of a Little-Vatanen trade.
May 20, 2017 at 10:27 a.m.
Oh Canada
Quoting: rangersandislesfan

I think Little is moved for a defenseman. i like the idea of a Little-Vatanen trade.

That's ridiculous why would we destroy our centre spine for ANOTHER RHD
nobody liked this.
May 21, 2017 at 9:08 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: gojetsgo

Jets need defence.
May 21, 2017 at 10:40 p.m.
Sensible Commentary

Jets need defence.
On the left, mostly. The right side's fine, when you have Byfuglien, Trouba, AND Myers (and Postma, who's not half-bad). However, Enström's slowing down a bit, and Mark Stuart ain't worth much, nor is Ben Chiarot.
May 22, 2017 at 2:08 p.m.
Oh Canada
His value is at an all time low, it would be dumb to trade him now.
May 24, 2017 at 3:04 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

Jets need defence.
On the left, mostly. The right side's fine, when you have Byfuglien, Trouba, AND Myers (and Postma, who's not half-bad). However, Enström's slowing down a bit, and Mark Stuart ain't worth much, nor is Ben Chiarot.

In my opinion:
Trouba = 2nd pair guy
Byfuglien = bottom pair guy as he mostly just hits.
Myers = bottom pair guy.

Really, i think Byfuglien might be the most overrated NHL player. Really, i think he mostly just hits.
May 24, 2017 at 11:18 p.m.
Sensible Commentary

In my opinion:
Trouba = 2nd pair guy
Myers = bottom pair guy.

Really, i think Byfuglien might be the most overrated NHL player. Really, i think he mostly just hits.
...gonna start assuming that you're at least somewhat trolling. Let's take a look at Byfuglien's last... 7 seasons.

2010 - 11: 20 G, 53 P in 81 GP
2011 - 12: 12 G, 53 P in 66 GP
2012 - 13: 8 G, 28 P in 43 GP
2013 - 14: 20 G, 56 P in 78 GP
2014 - 15: 18 G, 45 G in 69 GP
2015 - 16: 19 G, 53 P in 81 GP
2016 - 17: 13 G, 52 P in 80 GP

This isn't even a possession statistics-based argument. The guy's put up 50+ P in 5 of his last 6 full NHL seasons as a defenseman. That puts you inside the top 10 most seasons. Yeah, he hits and puts up a lot of PIMs, but hockey is kind of a results-based, "what have you done lately for me" business, and Dustin Byfuglien has done a whoooooole lot for the Jets. Your assertion that he "mostly just hits" and the resulting implication that Byfuglien is useless kinda falls apart when looking at his consistently high point totals.

Trouba looked a whoooole lot better when he wasn't anchored to Mark freakin' Stuart. Give him top-pairing minutes, and I'm sure he'll look superb. And Myers has had a serious case of the injuries this year.
nobody and TheBoulster liked this.
May 26, 2017 at 1:17 a.m.
Black Lives Matter

In my opinion:
Trouba = 2nd pair guy
Myers = bottom pair guy.

...gonna start assuming that you're at least somewhat trolling. Let's take a look at Byfuglien's last... 7 seasons.

2010 - 11: 20 G, 53 P in 81 GP
2011 - 12: 12 G, 53 P in 66 GP
2012 - 13: 8 G, 28 P in 43 GP
2013 - 14: 20 G, 56 P in 78 GP
2014 - 15: 18 G, 45 G in 69 GP
2015 - 16: 19 G, 53 P in 81 GP
2016 - 17: 13 G, 52 P in 80 GP

This isn't even a possession statistics-based argument. The guy's put up 50+ P in 5 of his last 6 full NHL seasons as a defenseman. That puts you inside the top 10 most seasons. Yeah, he hits and puts up a lot of PIMs, but hockey is kind of a results-based, "what have you done lately for me" business, and Dustin Byfuglien has done a whoooooole lot for the Jets. Your assertion that he "mostly just hits" and the resulting implication that Byfuglien is useless kinda falls apart when looking at his consistently high point totals.

Trouba looked a whoooole lot better when he wasn't anchored to Mark freakin' Stuart. Give him top-pairing minutes, and I'm sure he'll look superb. And Myers has had a serious case of the injuries this year.

We disagree about Byfuglien. Everyone disagrees with me about Byfuglien.
May 28, 2017 at 12:20 a.m.
Oh Canada
Edited May 28, 2017 at 12:27 a.m.

@rangersandislesfan I'm very critical of Buff because of his lackluster defensive play which is a very fair critique but you cannot ignore his impressive point totals and physical play as being on a fairly elite level. Don't post on this forum if you are going to 1. Ignore information that doesn't support you opinion 2. Read the eliteprospects bio and think you know everything without ever watching these guys.
May 28, 2017 at 2:41 a.m.

In my opinion:
Trouba = 2nd pair guy
Myers = bottom pair guy.

In my opinion:
Trouba = 2nd pair guy
Myers = bottom pair guy.

Bwhahaha second pairing guy and then bottom pairing for Buff, this is plainly trolling
Jun. 2, 2017 at 12:22 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

@rangersandislesfan I'm very critical of Buff because of his lackluster defensive play which is a very fair critique but you cannot ignore his impressive point totals and physical play as being on a fairly elite level. Don't post on this forum if you are going to 1. Ignore information that doesn't support you opinion 2. Read the eliteprospects bio and think you know everything without ever watching these guys.

I watch Byfuglien, i just am not a fan of his play. He's an NHL level player i think.
Jun. 2, 2017 at 4:39 p.m.
get ur corsi up

I watch Byfuglien, i just am not a fan of his play. He's an NHL level player i think.

Just because your not a fan of his play, does not mean he's no a number 1 defenseman.
Jun. 2, 2017 at 5:46 p.m.
Oh Canada

*gets 52 points as a dman on a lottery team* idk maybe NHL level not sure though kind of a toss up. Dude please have some legitimate critiques that aren't based off your very shallow analysis.
Jun. 2, 2017 at 11:38 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

*gets 52 points as a dman on a lottery team* idk maybe NHL level not sure though kind of a toss up. Dude please have some legitimate critiques that aren't based off your very shallow analysis.

But most of them are 2nd assists.
Jun. 3, 2017 at 12:51 a.m.
Oh Canada

His 20 primary assists (of 39 assists) is tied for the 6th best total in the league. He had a higher percentage of primary assists than Karlsson, Shattenkirk and Keith. So OBJECTIVELY YOU ARE WRONG. Please stop making up facts as it does a disservice to both the sport and hockey fans everywhere.
Jun. 3, 2017 at 1:38 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

His 20 primary assists (of 39 assists) is tied for the 6th best total in the league. He had a higher percentage of primary assists than Karlsson, Shattenkirk and Keith. So OBJECTIVELY YOU ARE WRONG. Please stop making up facts as it does a disservice to both the sport and hockey fans everywhere.

and he wastes most of his time hitting i think. We just disagree.
Jun. 3, 2017 at 6:14 p.m.
Oh Canada

Do Ovechkin, Ristolainen or Manson "waste time" hitting? We do not disagree as you are simply making up that have no basis in reality. I'm saying the sky is blue and you say it is green, you are simply wrong.
Jun. 4, 2017 at 12:51 a.m.
Sensible Commentary

So, if he 'wastes most of his time hitting,' what could he be doing instead that would help the team more? Putting up points? Oh, wait...

For the record, Byfuglien was 10th in hits in the NHL among defenders with at least 25 GP, with 183 hits. This is actually lower than his previous year's total of 222, and the first time that he's had less than 200 hits in a full season since '11 - '12. Over an 80 GP span, that's 2.29 hits per game. This is ~ 1.21 standard deviations above the mean number hits per game, 1.35. For reference, the 4 defenders that earned more primary points than Byfuglien:

- Brent Burns: 0.84 hits per game; ~ 0.66 SD below mean
- Victor Hedman: 1.18 hits per game; ~ 0.22 SD below mean
- Erik Karlsson: 0.87 hits per game; ~ 0.62 SD below mean
- Kevin Shattenkirk: 1.1 hits per game; ~ 0.32 SD below mean

and the 5 below him:

- John Klingberg: 0.53 hits per game; ~ 1.07 SD below mean
- Torey Krug: 0.73 hits per game; ~ 0.80 SD below mean
- Roman Josi: 0.75 hits per game; ~ 0.78 SD below mean
- Alex Pietrangelo: 0.48 hits per game: ~ 1.13 SD below mean
- Dougie Hamilton: 0.84 hits per game: ~ 0.66 SD below mean

Byfuglien is indeed an outlier, in terms of throwing hits in comparison to his ability to produce points. But his hit-throwing doesn't seem to affect his ability to produce points.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll