SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Nashville Predators signed Nino Niederreiter (2 Years / $4,000,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 21, 2022 at 12:48 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: svensk_forskare
preds just moved form 17th overall pick next summer to 20th overall

Why does Polie not want to rebuild, their championship window has been shut for almost a half decade now
Jul. 21, 2022 at 12:48 p.m.
So what's the deal with this guy? How did he not get a better deal? His box car stats are solid. His advanced stats are great. Hes physical and hits a lot. I don't get it

Given he's 30 at the start of the season this was his big shot at a big contract....

I wonder if his name was Norman Nelsons if he'd be getting a way bigger contract...
Jul. 21, 2022 at 12:49 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Death, taxes, and NSH consistently making the playoffs. Outside of the stupid playin tournament, haven't missed the playoffs since 2013.

Now haven't done much since their 2016 run to the Cup final but for a team everyone says should blow it up almost every offseason it feels, always remains a very competitive team

I refuse to believe that Cup finals was 2016. Was it really? Where has the time gone!?!
Jul. 21, 2022 at 12:50 p.m.
Quoting: jpsnow13
I don't like their goalies, but it's a deep line up.

They added Nino and McDonagh, plus resigned Forsberg... and still have 4M left to spend! Must be nice...

You don't like saaros? I'd say he's likely in the 6th-9th best tender in the league right now (the league is really lacking proven studs in net right now unlike other generations)
Jul. 21, 2022 at 12:52 p.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk
Why does Polie not want to rebuild, their championship window has been shut for almost a half decade now

Pure guess: small market (okay not small market but non typical hockey market so in affect acts somewhat like a small market) team is afraid of losing their fandom if they nuke and rebuild.

(To be clear if I'm wrong this is just a guess)
Jul. 21, 2022 at 1:00 p.m.
Quoting: BCAPP
I refuse to believe that Cup finals was 2016. Was it really? Where has the time gone!?!

It was 2017.
Jul. 21, 2022 at 1:01 p.m.
You don't like saaros? I'd say he's likely in the 6th-9th best tender in the league right now (the league is really lacking proven studs in net right now unlike other generations)

How can you have Saros ranked that low? Top three goalie in the league.
Jul. 21, 2022 at 1:05 p.m.
Solid deal. I am surprised Nino took this long to find a home, and he didn't take as big a haircut as I thought given that it took so long, but he's good 2nd line forward who is particularly strong 5 on 5, but doesn't add much to special teams. As a compliment on a scoring line to chip in 20+ goals and be a nuisance and help drive play, hard to argue with the price.
Jul. 21, 2022 at 1:12 p.m.
Niederreiter playing with Granlund and probably Tolvanen is a solid 2nd line; factor that in with the HERD line and the Preds top line of Forsberg-Johanson-Duchene and they are going to be competitive.

Most of the Central division got weaker this off-season and you have 2 of the teams all-in on tanking in the division so I could easily see Nashville challenging for the top 3 and definitely a playoff team.

This was their one hole on their roster that they needed to plug someone in and Nino is a very good fit there. I was wondering if they would go after Evan Rodrigues but Nino is a better fit.

Once their final roster is assembled this leaves them with about $1.5 million in cap space so I don't think they make anymore moves; expect for PTO.
Jul. 21, 2022 at 1:23 p.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk

a few possibilities... 1. he doesnt think he will be around to see the team win a cup in 10 years if they rebuild, 2. with the team having been sold recently, old ownership might have wanted to keep the sale price high with the team competing for playoff spots, and new ownership might want revenue to stay high rather than tanking, 3. with josi's nmc and contracts like duchene and johansen being hard to dump, that's 25M a year in cap they cant really move, so they wouldnt be bad enough to get a bedard-type lotto pick, and wouldn't be able to totally clear payroll long term with those contracts...

in the end though, they can probably generate more revenue being the last wild card every year rather than going thru an embarassing tank for 5 years and getting 2 cups, and revenue motivates ownership to mandate things on gm's
Jul. 21, 2022 at 1:26 p.m.
Quoting: gmgb
It was 2017.

Dear lord time flies
Jul. 21, 2022 at 1:28 p.m.
How can you have Saros ranked that low? Top three goalie in the league.

Haha I was ball parking in my head

Essentially I have
Vasilevski
Shesterskin
Hellebuyck (I'm sure I spelled that wrong)

Then the field is pretty open so I suppose I have him in 4-10 as I can make arguments for a lot of guys here.
rollie1967 liked this.
Jul. 21, 2022 at 1:29 p.m.
Quoting: Danny12357
Solid deal. I am surprised Nino took this long to find a home, and he didn't take as big a haircut as I thought given that it took so long, but he's good 2nd line forward who is particularly strong 5 on 5, but doesn't add much to special teams. As a compliment on a scoring line to chip in 20+ goals and be a nuisance and help drive play, hard to argue with the price.

I think he took a big haircut as 2 years is a terrible term at his age. It's short enough that he doesn't have long term security, but long enough that he'll be 32 when he resigns
Jul. 21, 2022 at 1:53 p.m.
You know nothing JS

Top 5 reasons I don't like their goalie situation:

1. Saros only had one good full season at 27 y.o.
2. He remembers me of Binnington, but smaller.
3. He's no Peka Rinne.
4. They dont have a no 2 goalie.
5. Askarov is their future, if he gets out of Russia some day.
rollie1967 liked this.
Jul. 21, 2022 at 1:55 p.m.
You know nothing JS
What don't you like about Saros?

FRdv7BjXwAEdv6P.jpg:large

I'd put him in the conversation in the top 5 goalies in the NHL right now. Ingram looks like a very good cheap backup and they now have Yaroslav Askarov over in NA. That looks pretty legit to me

This is a dangerous team

Quoting: Dnik1010
You don't like Saros? The guy that was a Vezina finalist?

I cant edit my posts. See up here smile
Jul. 21, 2022 at 2:03 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

3. He's no Peka Rinne.

As to answer number 5, he is already in NA and will be playing in the AHL this season

Lankinen is not an ideal number 2 but they don’t need him to be, Saros is a workhorse, played lead the NHL in games played with 67. Plus Ingram is very good should they need him.

Totally entitled to your own opinion but for me you are way off thinking they don’t have good goaltending.

Saros is legit
gmgb liked this.
Jul. 21, 2022 at 2:16 p.m.
Haha I was ball parking in my head

Essentially I have
Vasilevski
Shesterskin
Hellebuyck (I'm sure I spelled that wrong)

Then the field is pretty open so I suppose I have him in 4-10 as I can make arguments for a lot of guys here.

Hellebuyck can be inconsistent. That drops him out of the top three, for me.

3. He's no Peka Rinne.

Can't say I agree with much of this.

1. In Saros' two seasons as a starter he finished 6th and 3rd in Vezina voting. Scored a few Hart votes two seasons ago too.
2. I don't see much of comparison to Binnington. Saros is very composed. Binnington is a head case.
3. Pekka was what a top 30 all time goalie? How many active goalies are in Rinne's league?
4. Between Lankinen and Ingram they have options at #2. Anyone other than Rittich is an upgrade over last season.
5. Askarov is signed and already in North America. He was just at NSH's development camp.
Jul. 21, 2022 at 3:01 p.m.
He didn't live up to his last contract, but he should be able to earn his paycheck now.
Jul. 21, 2022 at 3:33 p.m.
Canes hockey.
Quoting: svensk_forskare
except lankinen was signed to be the backup... which is questionable after last year

I think Ingram will end up taking his spot, I loved his playoffs.
Jul. 21, 2022 at 3:40 p.m.
Quoting: Sparkyboi_GoCanes
I think Ingram will end up taking his spot, I loved his playoffs.

definitely... just a matter of when
Jul. 21, 2022 at 3:54 p.m.
What don't you like about Saros?

FRdv7BjXwAEdv6P.jpg:large

I'd put him in the conversation in the top 5 goalies in the NHL right now. Ingram looks like a very good cheap backup and they now have Yaroslav Askarov over in NA. That looks pretty legit to me

This is a dangerous team

Gonna guess the thing they don't like about him is his height.
Jul. 21, 2022 at 4:27 p.m.
Banned
I swear El Nino had the leverage going into this off-season to ask for twice the term at that AAV. What gives?
Jul. 21, 2022 at 4:45 p.m.

3. He's no Peka Rinne.

Define one good full season. He has played 3 seasons as a starter. He didn't cause the covid restrictions that lessened his gp

Over the last 3 seasons he's literally 4th in games played. He was a starter each year.

https://www.nhl.com/stats/goalies?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20192020&seasonTo=20212022&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=gamesPlayed&page=0&pageSize=50

Over the same 3 seasons of goalies with 80+ GP he's 3rd in save percentage...

https://www.nhl.com/stats/goalies?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20192020&seasonTo=20212022&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,80&sort=savePct&page=0&pageSize=50

Frankly he's performed similarly to Rinne at that age...
Jul. 21, 2022 at 4:50 p.m.
Hellebuyck can be inconsistent. That drops him out of the top three, for me.

Can't say I agree with much of this.

1. In Saros' two seasons as a starter he finished 6th and 3rd in Vezina voting. Scored a few Hart votes two seasons ago too.
2. I don't see much of comparison to Binnington. Saros is very composed. Binnington is a head case.
3. Pekka was what a top 30 all time goalie? How many active goalies are in Rinne's league?
4. Between Lankinen and Ingram they have options at #2. Anyone other than Rittich is an upgrade over last season.
5. Askarov is signed and already in North America. He was just at NSH's development camp.

He can knock hellebuyck out of that spot, but for now I personally have him there. I would have Kuemper a hair ahead of saaros as of this moment, but I'd rather have Saaros given age (if that makes sense). I like Sorokin to also get into that top 3, but part of that is gut instinct. He's surely less proven than saaros.

It's really quite something the lack of established starters in this generation.
Jul. 21, 2022 at 4:58 p.m.
FADING PASSION
Edited Aug. 3, 2022 at 3:47 p.m.
Nice

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit