SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #9 - The Demise (Revival?) of Calgary

Jul. 23, 2022 at 11:14 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: DirtyDangle
those are good contracts but almost no term left on them. i think the hughes contract well be as good or even better for new jersey as the mack contract was for colorado.

And I could see that happening in the future, but right now he is far from the best contract.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 11:16 a.m.
Quoting: SevenLeg
Oh I see, so the Habs wouldn't be able to get Dubois on a 8-year deal until January 1st

I believe so, because he's on a 1 year deal.
SevenLeg liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 11:16 a.m.
Edited Jul. 23, 2022 at 11:32 a.m.
Imagine a summer where elite or top-talent, young wingers was available everywhere and Isles couldn’t get one lol. A team in contention-mode by their own standard at least. Isles are one of the worst offensive teams in the league and has a bottom-5 prospect-pool. They didn’t trade Mayfield, Varlamov, Parise, Clutterbuck, Chára and Greene at the deadline (Lou should have tried hard to trade Bailey too or at least this summer). This would have given them draft capital/trade capital and the cap space to offer Gaudreau 10.5-11, I believe that would have sealed the deal, he waited for a team to step up lol, Lou wasn’t in on him by his own words, embarassing.

Lou couldn’t get ONE of:
Fiala
DeBrincat
Gaudreau
Tkachuk
Huberdeau
Burakovsky
Bjorkstrand
Pacioretty
Marchment
Perron
Palat
Niederreiter
Copp
Trocheck
Or guys like Mikheyev, Domi, C. Brown, Stromex2, Kubalík etcetera. Not even a potential high end forward talent in Frank Nazar, Jonathan Lekkerimäki, Kirby Dach (for Isles pick), Danila Yurov, Brad Lambert etcetera. Sure I like Romanov and his upside, but still, that wasn’t (imo) the teams biggest need, far from it.

Long post I know, but I had to rant and I definitely didn’t or want every guy I listed above, just crazy to me how all of those forwards got traded/was signed and Lou couldn’t even get one of them. How he isn’t forced out of town considering the season compared to their pre-season expectations is beyond me. But hey, we still have Josh Bailey in our top-6 and the worst 4th line in hockey, we’ll be fine.
Saskleaf, SevenLeg, Db1899 and 4 others liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 11:23 a.m.
Quoting: Isles10
Imagine a summer where elite or top-talent, young wingers was available everywhere and Isles couldn’t get one lol. A team in contention-mode by their own standard at least. Isles are one of the worst offensive teams in the league and has a bottom-5 prospect-pool. They didn’t trade Mayfield, Varlamov, Parise, Clutterbuck, Chára and Greene at the deadline (Lou should have tried hard to trade Bailey too or at least this summer). This would have given them draft capital/trade capital and the cap space to offer Gaudreau 10.5-11, I believe that would have sealed the deal, he waited for a team to step up lol, Lou wasn’t in on him by his own words, embarassing.

Lou couldn’t get ONE of:
Fiala
DeBrincat
Gaudreau
Tkachuk
Huberdeau
Burakovsky
Bjorkstrand
Pacioretty
Marchment
Perron
Palat
Niederreiter
Copp
Trocheck
Marchment
Or guys like Mikheyev, Domi, C. Brown, Stromex2, Kubalík etcetera. Not even a potential high end forward talent in Frank Nazar, Jonathan Lekkerimäki, Kirby Dach (for Isles pick), Danila Yurov, Brad Lambert etcetera. Sure I like Romanov and his upside, but still, that wasn’t (imo) the teams biggest need, far from it.

Long post I know, but I had to rant and I definitely didn’t or want every guy I listed above, just crazy to me how all of these forwards got traded/was signed and Lou couldn’t even get one of them. How he isn’t forced out of town considering the season compared to their pre-season expectations is beyond me. But hey, we still have Josh Bailey in our top-6 and the worst 4th line in hockey, we’ll be fine.

… and what scares me is that the only ”high-end” forwards left are old, overrated and a trade/contract for them will be a mistake the second it happens: J.T. Miller, Vladimir Tarasenko, Patrick Kane, Nazem Kadri. I would love Jesse Puljujärvi but doubt Lou even knows he exists. Pierre-Luc Dubois is a C and only wants Montréal… Evan Rodrigues, Sonny Milano, Phil Kessel, Paul Stastny doesn’t interest me one bit, maybe Evan Rodrigues. Is there another high-end top-6 player even available at this time?
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 11:25 a.m.
retired

What on earth

the o'reilly deal. buyout proof.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 11:44 a.m.

Lou couldn’t get ONE of:
Fiala
DeBrincat
Gaudreau
Tkachuk
Huberdeau
Burakovsky
Bjorkstrand
Pacioretty
Marchment
Perron
Palat
Niederreiter
Copp
Trocheck

Long post I know, but I had to rant and I definitely didn’t or want every guy I listed above, just crazy to me how all of those forwards got traded/was signed and Lou couldn’t even get one of them. How he isn’t forced out of town considering the season compared to their pre-season expectations is beyond me. But hey, we still have Josh Bailey in our top-6 and the worst 4th line in hockey, we’ll be fine.

Lou has done some good things, but he should have been fired for not selling at the deadline.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 11:49 a.m.
This is obviously me speculating , but I wonder if Huberdeau caring a lot about individual accomplishments + his playoff performance played a role in the trade.

Huberdeau was posting a lot about his 100 points on social media and it felt like every time he did something he posted about it. Then add the fact that he looked lazy in the playoffs, maybe it didn’t sit well with Zito , who knows.
yikes liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 11:51 a.m.
Quoting: Db1899
Lou has done some good things, but he should have been fired for not selling at the deadline.

For sure, I agree 100% with that, he said something like ”don’t think we are satisfied as the reason for not trading anyone” he implied change was needed several times, not only on the backend and nothing happens lol. - it’s crazy how Lou couldn’t match what Fiala, DeBrincat, Bjorkstrand, Pacioretty was traded for or sign Burakovsky for 5x5.5, Niederreiter 2x4, Gaudreau 7x9.75, IF Lou offered him 10.5 or 11 I really believe he would be an Islander today… just so disappointing.
Db1899 liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 11:54 a.m.
For sure, I agree 100% with that, he said something like ”don’t think we are satisfied as the reason for not trading anyone” he implied heavily change was needed, not only on the backend, it’s crazy how Lou couldn’t match what Fiala, DeBrincat, Bjorkstrand, Pacioretty was traded for or sign Burakovsky for 5x5.5, Niederreiter 2x4, Gaudreau 7x9.75, IF Lou offered him 10.5 or 11 I really believe he would be an Islander today… just so disappointing.

I would have offered two 1st rd picks and Raty for Debrincat. Pretty sure they would have accepted that offer. The isles had the assets to acquire one of the elite forwards this offseason, but Lou needs to keep Varlamov and Mayfield for whatever reason
Isles10 liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 11:54 a.m.
Go leafs go
Edited Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:10 p.m.
How is nobody talking about the fact that Huberdeau waived his NTC to go to Calgary?!?!

Edit: never mind, it was a MNTC
Jul. 23, 2022 at 11:55 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Pagnotta already speculating that the Flames could consider flipping Hubby sooner rather than later.
He said the Flames already have been called by some teams inquiring about a flip and extension (I personally am adding the extension part as I would assume thats the case).
Jul. 23, 2022 at 11:56 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: Saskleaf
How is nobody talking about the fact that Huberdeau waived his NTC to go to Calgary?!?!

It expired on June 30th is the report I believe that I read. It was a NMC.
If I recall correctly it changed into a 8 team NTC.

Again, thats atleast what I saw.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 11:59 a.m.
I would have offered two 1st rd picks and Raty for Debrincat. Pretty sure they would have accepted that offer. The isles had the assets to acquire one of the elite forwards this offseason, but Lou needs to keep Varlamov and Mayfield for whatever reason

Yeah I’m still shocked that DeBrincat went for Kevin Korchinski and Paul Ludwinski lol, that’s unreal. He’s 24 (!) and a top-5 LW in the league. If it’s ever a guy you overpay for if need be he’s the guy.
Saskleaf and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:09 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: yikes
It expired on June 30th is the report I believe that I read. It was a NMC.
If I recall correctly it changed into a 8 team NTC.

Again, thats atleast what I saw.

Oh. On ACGM it said he had a full NTC but on the main page it says MNTC so it must have been either old or a glitch.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:23 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

What on earth

What’s the point in this? Does it just affect buyouts?
Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:25 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

*posted 4 hours ago*
NoVaSpartan and Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:31 p.m.
Quoting: Devil

It’s a buyout proof contract , which really isn’t a big deal because Tkachuk is only 24 and he’s currently worth more than 9.5 mill per
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:35 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
It’s a buyout proof contract , which really isn’t a big deal because Tkachuk is only 24 and he’s currently worth more than 9.5 mill per

Why don’t more teams do that?
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:35 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Devil

1) Yeah, it's buyout proof.
2) Signing bonuses is guaranteed money. So not only do the Panthers have to pay that money in the event of a buyout, but also in the event of a lockout or the season shutting down for whatever reason.

A lot of high end players are taking their money in signing bonuses so they're actually paid what they're worth through the contract.
DirtyDangle, mokumboi and yikes liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:44 p.m.
retired
Quoting: mondo
1) Yeah, it's buyout proof.
2) Signing bonuses is guaranteed money. So not only do the Panthers have to pay that money in the event of a buyout, but also in the event of a lockout or the season shutting down for whatever reason.

A lot of high end players are taking their money in signing bonuses so they're actually paid what they're worth through the contract.

injuries too. teams likely on the hook for more money.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:58 p.m.
mokumboi
Ya know, considering what all just went down I should obviously cook up an AGM right now. But honestly, I wouldn't even know where to start fixing the problems and it's probably not good to get any sliver of yen for any particular move right now anyway because who the hell knows what Army has been doing for the last six months. He'll just stomp my heart again in a really weird way. We've literally paid a huge price to keep the same exact LD stable that, above all else, we badly wanted to upgrade. And now we may be stuck that way for a couple more years, at least. Marvelous. Army needs a shrink, tout de suite. I may be next if he doesn't snap out of this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 1:15 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan

Lou couldn’t get ONE of:
Fiala
DeBrincat
Gaudreau
Tkachuk
Huberdeau
Burakovsky
Bjorkstrand
Pacioretty
Marchment
Perron
Palat
Niederreiter
Copp
Trocheck

Could I interest you in a slightly used Nicklas Backstrom as a Top 6 player? All he’ll cost you is cap ruin and a long stay on LTIR…
Please? I’ll even throw in Backstrom-lite in Oshie… wink
csick, Isles10 and Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 2:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Dont think just watch
Tintin, Devil and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 3:19 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Matthew Tkachuk was the first player in NHL history to be signed and traded
BuFfaLOFaN and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 3:19 p.m.
Good thread

yikes, Tintin and EsoYeezus69 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll