Gaudreau: W
Boqvist : W
Laine: Meh
Gudbranson: L
Bjorkstrand: L
Jiricek: W
Mateychuk: Meh

Jarmo has had the weirdest offseason ever

Mateychuk is a W but yeah he is turning into Marc Bergevin but with good drafting
OldNYIfan and rollie1967 liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 5:08 p.m.
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator

Jarmo’s had a good off-season, he addressed CBJ’s needs ( though addressing the need of a stay at home bruising D by giving Gud a 4x4 was hella dumb ) but this trade takes the take, Bjorkstrand’s a good 2nd line do it all guy, he’s good offensively and defensively, no idea why Nyquist wasn’t moved
Jul. 22, 2022 at 5:08 p.m.
Who voted "Fair Trade"? This deserves to be one of those rare one sided picks only poll
CSStrowbridge and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 5:09 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Quoting: yoseikanben
Mateychuk is a W but yeah he is turning into Marc Bergevin but with good drafting

Imo there was better options then Mateychuk
That's why I gave a meh
Woudove rathered a Kemell, or Lekkerimaki
Jul. 22, 2022 at 5:09 p.m.
Easiest W in Seattle’s short history.
CSStrowbridge and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 5:11 p.m.
I saw this on AGM and thought it was a troll post... What is CBJ doing
Faulk_my_Dzingel, OldNYIfan, Ajp_18 and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 5:12 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
I am surprised this is such a landslide as a win for Seattle.

This is the definition of a 'fair deal'.

It is difficult, if not impossible to move out cap with term right now. Even for great players. Columbus managed to do it and get assets. Even if those assets are less than what people would like for the player under a less restrictive cap ceiling.

Look at it this way, they traded Bjorkstand for a 3rd, a 4th, and the facilitation of Johnny Gaudreau's signing.

People will bring up Gudbranson, as if this is NHL 2022, but the reality is that Gudbranson's cap hit isn't linked to this series of transactions because he plays a completely different role/position. They identified that they needed another top 4 defenseman. They may very well have chosen the wrong guy, but in any event the were going to sign someone to top 4 money.

Should they have given up a 1st round pick to move Nyquist instead? That is apparently what the cost was to move JVR. I can't imagine it's much cheaper for Nyquist right now.

Whether they moved on from Laine, Bjorkstrand, Nyquist, Roslovic, etc - the cost was either going to be high to dump a contract, or for players who aren't negative value, the return was going to hurt. This was the cost of acquiring Gaudreau and keeping some balance to the team.
JarmoK and FanOfAllTeams liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 5:13 p.m.
What a nightmare for BJ fans
Knuckl3s, OldNYIfan and Ajp_18 liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 5:14 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
Only rationalization I can make for this trade is the ask to take Nyquist had to be RIDICULOUS. Like a 1st+ or something insane. This trade stinks.
OldNYIfan, Ajp_18, Sportnilsson and 2 others liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 5:14 p.m.
There's about a 50/50 chance neither of these draft picks turn into players that play as much as Bjorkstrand played last year. ... Holy crap, this is a bad deal for the CBJ. Good job, Seattle.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 5:16 p.m.
Smythe.over.Hart
Quoting: budgeteam

It is difficult, if not impossible to move out cap with term right now. Even for great players. Columbus managed to do it and get assets. Even if those assets are less than what people would like for the player under a less restrictive cap ceiling.

Look at it this way, they traded Bjorkstand for a 3rd, a 4th, and the facilitation of Johnny Gaudreau's signing.

People will bring up Gudbranson, as if this is NHL 2022, but the reality is that Gudbranson's cap hit isn't linked to this series of transactions because he plays a completely different role/position. They identified that they needed another top 4 defenseman. They may very well have chosen the wrong guy, but in any event the were going to sign someone to top 4 money.

Should they have given up a 1st round pick to move Nyquist instead? That is apparently what the cost was to move JVR. I can't imagine it's much cheaper for Nyquist right now.

Whether they moved on from Laine, Bjorkstrand, Nyquist, Roslovic, etc - the cost was either going to be high to dump a contract, or for players who aren't negative value, the return was going to hurt. This was the cost of acquiring Gaudreau and keeping some balance to the team.

You can try and spin this any way you want. This is a horrible trade. Bjorkstrand had value on the market. The guy should likely score 30 goals. Is still fairly young. And at a reasonable top 6 cap hit. This was just backed into a corner to sign Laine and that’s it.
OldNYIfan, Andy_Dick, Trickster and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 5:17 p.m.
What just happened
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 5:18 p.m.
Watches no games
NUEWlPm

While Gaudreau is clearly the more gifted offensive creator, I don't think the value for money is what CBJ thinks it is when accounting for defensive ability.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 5:18 p.m.
Evans truther
I guess that's what happens when the credit card bill comes up and you don't have the money, send whoever for anything. That could actually make Seattle less of a competitor for the lottery so good!
weirfanno1, OldNYIfan and Andy_Dick liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 5:19 p.m.
It is difficult, if not impossible to move out cap with term right now.

It is difficult to move a bad contract. Bjorkstrand has a good contract. They should have been able to grab a second+ here.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 5:19 p.m.
We are all equal
Quoting: JeffSkinnerFan53
I think this was the worst possible option for them
What was Kekalainen thinking?

Thinking he has to get under the cap and quickly or this offer won't be here in a month from now.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 5:20 p.m.
torontos finest
Going with the parade here and saying that yes, this is a very bad trade for the Blue Jackets. They could've easily not signed Gudbranson.
OldNYIfan and CSStrowbridge liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 5:22 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
Kekalainen goes from heaven to hell like nobody else. Poor Jackets fan...
ColonelX and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 5:22 p.m.

Yes, Considering it would have be in the mid-high teens 1st pick, Arizona once took Datsyuks 7.5 contract for a 16th overall pick and Datsyuk was already in Russia before the ink dried. Nyquist was at least still able to play and give very good minutes.

Not to mention, a competent Gm would have been able to convince the Yotes to flip him at the deadline by retaining salary. This realistically could've been a 3+ picks for taking on his contract.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 5:23 p.m.
Banned
The price of clearing cap space...

Still tho, Francis FLEEEEEEEEEEEEECE!!!!
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 5:28 p.m.
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator

Yzerman with that weird move of signing Chiarot and drafting a middle 6 center in Kasper at 8OA. I wouldnt say he had a great offseason either.

Holland and Francis somehow taking Ws tho
Jul. 22, 2022 at 5:31 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
The only conclusion I can draw from this is that either (1) Anaheim wasn't offered a bid, or (2) with three seconds and two thirds, Verbeek was happy to pay one of each but Bjorkstrand refused to waive his NTC for Anaheim, or (3) Verbeek is as dumb as Kekalainen. I hope that it's not #3.
Faulk_my_Dzingel and Ajp_18 liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 5:34 p.m.
Quoting: MelonVK
NUEWlPm

While Gaudreau is clearly the more gifted offensive creator, I don't think the value for money is what CBJ thinks it is when accounting for defensive ability.

Especially in the ultimate team sport. 1 player even at Gaudreau's elite play isn't worth signing MOAR BIG Gudbrasson and giving away Bjorkstrand.
This is no longer considered a trade it is a fleecing by Seattle.
Smythe.over.Hart
Quoting: OldNYIfan
The only conclusion I can draw from this is that either (1) Anaheim wasn't offered a bid, or (2) with three seconds and two thirds, Verbeek was happy to pay one of each but Bjorkstrand refused to waive his NTC for Anaheim, or (3) Verbeek is as dumb as Kekalainen. I hope that it's not #3.

Or is there something none of us are aware of? Seriously if Yzerman traded a 1st for this guy I am quite positive we would all be saying Detroit won. I would take Bjorkstrand on my team in a nano second.
Ajp_18, dopplsan and OldNYIfan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit