SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(CGY/FLA) - Tkachuk for Huberdeau, Weegar, Schwindt

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 22, 2022 at 11:41 p.m.
Brad Boyes please Wq
This could very well be the blockbuster of the decade, I like this a lot for Calgary
**BUT** Calgary needs to sit down right now and get an extension done on both of them (or Atleast Huberdeau) for any future success, and Calgary can absolutely throw the book at him, they have the money.
I don’t get it for Florida, I like Tkachuk yes, but 9.5M? It’s a bit steep

(Now wait for this post to blow up really badly in my face)
Jul. 22, 2022 at 11:42 p.m.
I’m happy. I’m sad. I don’t know what to think. Just WOW!

#InZitoWeTrust
OldNYIfan and Hurricanes_WPG liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 11:42 p.m.
Quoting: justaBoss
I voted fair deal as I think this makes sense for both teams.

FLA knew that they were not able to keep both Huberdeau and Weegar around, so turning both of them into a 24 year old power forward for the next 8 years is a great investment from them in the long run.

CGY doesn't have to settle on retooling after losing two of their core players, which is instantly a W for them. But they also take a huge gamble here, as both of these guys they've taken are veterans close to their 30s, and they both need to get re-signed, which is bound to get really expensive. Luckily for them both Monahan and Lucic have expiring contracts this year so keeping both of them is in theory very possible, assuming they're not pulling a Gaudreau and walking away from more money than they'd get by staying in Calgary.

Florida's win is that they get the risk free option, CGY could turn out getting more value out of this but they're taking a much bigger gamble here.

I like this way of thinking. Also, I wonder if Huby’s performance in the playoffs this year played a role in Bill Zito being willing to give him up in this trade.
justaBoss and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 11:43 p.m.
kreidbanejad thoosie
probably the wildest trade of the cap era by the way. i am floored. absolutely floored.
SoFlaSooner liked this.
All I gotta say to Zito and the Panthers.

Quoting: ForsbergForVezina
Only a W for the Flames if they extend Huberdeau. Massive W if they can keep both him and Weegar

Could they not offer them extensions thus year and if they don't accept - trade at deadline?
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 11:45 p.m.
Canes fan
Edited Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:40 a.m.
All jokes aside, this trade actually makes sense from a Florida standpoint because it was highly unlikely that they could keep Huberdeau and Weegar after next season, and they receive an elite young power forward locked up on an 8 year deal to play beside Barkov for them. Giving up another 1st and solid prospect isn't the most logical move though.

Calgary of course gets Huberdeau to hopefully try to pick up where Gaudreau left off, and Weegar to solidify their top 4 D core. Plus a first round pick and solid prospect in Schwindt creates a perfect return for the flames. Now only time will tell who wins this trade in the long run once we see what's left of Huberdeau and Weegar for 23-24 for Calgary.
OldNYIfan, quicksauce34 and Db1899 liked this.
Will he be in Florida next season?
Quoting: CapFriendly
Trade confirmed: Calgary Flames - Florida Panthers

Atlantic Division Standings

TBL - Y
TOR - X
OTT - X
FLA - W
DET - E - Barely missed
BOS - E
MTL - E
BUF - E
Jul. 22, 2022 at 11:47 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Rolfadinho
I like this way of thinking. Also, I wonder if Huby’s performance in the playoffs this year played a role in Bill Zito being willing to give him up in this trade.

Perhaps.
Db1899 liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 11:56 p.m.
Evans truther
Need to note that Calgary gets two Canadian players ... Coincidence? I think not!

This one will need a year to know who won, depends on if they re-signs. Now who gets traded to go under the cap? Hörnqvist with prospects to no man's land?
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 11:56 p.m.
Quoting: Zinger
All jokes aside, this trade actually makes sense from a Florida standpoint because it was highly unlikely that they could keep Huberdeau and Weegar after next season, and they receive an elite young power forward locked up on an 8 year deal to play beside Barkov for them. Giving up another 1st and solid prospect isn't the most logical move though.

Calgary of course gets Huberdeau to hopefully try to pick up where Gaudreau left off, and Weegar to solidify their top 4 D core. Plus a first round pick and great prospect in Schwindt creates a perfect return for the flames. Now only time will tell who wins this trade in the long run once we see what's left of Huberdeau and Weegar for 23-24 for Calgary.

If neither resign during the year, Calgary simply retains 50% at the TDL and trades 'em to get a even bigger haul than Tkachuk. There is no risk for Calgary. People are going galaxy brain. Calgary wins easily!
oneX and Zwui21 liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 11:57 p.m.
Leafs Sufferer
CGY Should go get Kadri right now.
oneX, Hurricanes_WPG, Zwui21 and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 11:57 p.m.
In Zito We Trust
What the ****?? I have no idea how this is gonna pan out but this is really something. I think i just **** my pants
Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
Quoting: Nake_qc
Could they not offer them extensions thus year and if they don't accept - trade at deadline?

This. All these theories and Calgary got a better player than Tkachuk plus plus plus lol
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:01 a.m.
Yes
I'm speechless. Happy to not be a Panthers fan right now! Sorry Panther fans.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:02 a.m.
Im just kinda here
I'm just trying to wrap my head around this one
I don't even know if this is upgrading for Florida, I'd prefer hubs, as he's proved himself better, and already had chemistry with the team
Adding Weegar and a first is just
Shades of Jack Eichel
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:02 a.m.
Obviously, CGY crushed it, but I really like this move by FLA. They're in better position to win in the playoffs now then they were yesterday. By far. Lundell and Reinhart will pick up the offensive slack in Huberdeau's absence. Both teams get big W's here.
jpsnow13 liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:04 a.m.
Quoting: ColonelX
Need to note that Calgary gets two Canadian players ... Coincidence? I think not!

This one will need a year to know who won, depends on if they re-signs. Now who gets traded to go under the cap? Hörnqvist with prospects to no man's land?

Yeah, Hornqvist with his over $5 million cap hit for being a 3rd / 4th liner is most likely gone. No idea when he gets moved.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:07 a.m.
Quoting: Zinger

Calgary of course gets Huberdeau to hopefully try to pick up where Gaudreau left off, and Weegar to solidify their top 4 D core. Plus a first round pick and great prospect in Schwindt creates a perfect return for the flames. Now only time will tell who wins this trade in the long run once we see what's left of Huberdeau and Weegar for 23-24 for Calgary.

Since when is Schwindt a great prospect lol?
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:08 a.m.
Yes
Quoting: Brian2016
Obviously, CGY crushed it, but I really like this move by FLA. They're in better position to win in the playoffs now then they were yesterday. By far. Lundell and Reinhart will pick up the offensive slack in Huberdeau's absence. Both teams get big W's here.

The more I think about this trade, this is how I feel. I would feel sad for Panther fans considering how much of a difference Huberdeau made and was so unexpectedly traded. CGY wins for now, but this could be very true.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:09 a.m.
Quoting: Stones6160
This could very well be the blockbuster of the decade, I like this a lot for Calgary
**BUT** Calgary needs to sit down right now and get an extension done on both of them (or Atleast Huberdeau) for any future success, and Calgary can absolutely throw the book at him, they have the money.
I don’t get it for Florida, I like Tkachuk yes, but 9.5M? It’s a bit steep

(Now wait for this post to blow up really badly in my face)

I doubt they'd sign extensions now. They'll play out the season and make Calgary overpay them. Like Skinner with the Sabres.

Makes sense for Florida. Weegar would be too expensive to keep and could walk in a year. Hubderdeau is also 29 and can walk in a year. Giving him a 8 year deal at 30 years old could really mess with Florida's future cap.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:20 a.m.
Calgary's "window" to compete is 2 years right now so they are just going all in for that time period. Lindholm, Backlund, Toffoli, Hanifin, Andersson, and Tanev all have 2 years on their deals Weegar/Huberdeau have 1 year (when Monahan/Lucic deals expire). By then the cap should go up also and they can see what pieces are a good fit; including if Vladar/Wolf can take over the nets or not.

RFA deals for Mangiapane (2x$4.75m?) and Kylington (4x$4.5m?) should be close to the $9.3 million in cap space they have remaining.

Wonder if they can flip Weegar to St. Louis for Tarasenko and basically replace Gaudreau-Tkachuk with Huberdeau-Tarasenko on the top line?

Don't understand how Florida expects to handle their cap unless they have a master plan to unload Bobrovsky.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:21 a.m.
Daws is underrated
Are you sh*ting my d**k
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:22 a.m.
Go leafs go
Wow. That’s all I have to say.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit