SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Subjective choice for a team with the best execution at the Draft: Dallas

Subjective choice for a team with the best execution at the Draft: Dallas

Draft Class: 2022
Created By: Playersoverpayed
Published: Jul. 23, 2022 at 4:45 a.m.
Description
I am speaking about execution, which depends of the overall Draft position. You can argue other teams with more picks/better positions got better players. But that does not necesserely means better realization of the picks. For example, I don't think Montreal's Mesar and Beck are strong selections for late 1st/early 2nd round.
Why Dallas? They get the most for their Draft capital. They gave an advantage to defense in front of offense. It's both that I subjectively prefer defense and it is their bigger need. Also, teams almost can't miss with RHDs. Their weakest pick, relative to the draft position: Gavin White. But it makes sense, both in terms of (over)age than in terms of position (RHD).
Similar with Anaheim. Solid picks, with defense-first mentality in mind. Only one smaller reach (Gaucher) to fill their need of big C.
Buffalo is the opposite, picks are offense-first. I don't like their approach in 1st round, I love their approach in lower rounds.
Carolina somehow does it year after year. They are just picking up consensus BPAs. But I can find also some average low-round choices in their group.
Seattle: very solid job. I would prefer more D-men, but I don't see any unreasonable reaches. You might say Kokko is just that and I get it.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-#18. Defensive D-man. Rare combination of size and good skating. Don't expect much points from him, but he will be able to play 25 minutes per night regularly.
2Logo of the New Jersey Devils-#50. Very good RHD from one of the better programs in Erie, more offensively than defensively oriented. My 1st choice for smaller RHDs in the class. Magnet to attract his brother away from the divisional rival?
3Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-#83. NHL-sized RHD from the OJHL. Higher upside player who will not be NHL available for a few years - he is comited to NCAA team in 2023/24. Prospect to add into the pipeline.
4Logo of the Seattle Kraken-
Gavin White (+111 )
#115. Overage RHD. I am not a fan of Hamilton program, but I can't deny their strong 2021/22 team. I don't see huge upside in White, but he should be NHL/AHL ready before Kyrou and Fegaras.
5Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-#147. The highest upside of 1st time eligible goalies. Big kid from very average MHL team. I've been scouting him on and off the ice very closely, it's a very strong pick.
6Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Chicago Blackhawks#179. I am not huge Seminoff fan. His skating is not elite and he is not dominant on his junior team. But I don't mind it for 6th round pick, he is worth that. That's good risk management of late pick, you can't find many better players that low. He is also Dallas prospect Stankoven's teammate.
7Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Ottawa Senators
Honorable mentions Anaheim
Ideally you would like to pick Gaucher a few spots lower. Buteyets is mixed bag. But all the other players (Mintyukov, Warren, Luneau, King, Hvidston, Callow) look very solid, especially given the spots they were taken at.
8Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-
Honorable mentions Buffalo
I am not a fan of profile of their 1st round selections. But the value is not far off. Leinonen in 2nd round is safe pick. And then all the way to 7th round, all the players are showing NHL potential.
9Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-
Honorable mentions Carolina
Over and over again, Carolina is waiting there and picking up the guys left behind. Trikozov is 1st round talent. I wouldn't select Perevalov, but it could be worse. Forsmark, Grudinin and Pelevin were all left behind. Cruz and Vondras are OK.
10Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-
Honorable mentions Seattle
Wright, Firkus, Nyman and Goyette were all left behind. Kokko is not horrible pick, he is not much worse than Leinonen. Nelson in 3rd round is fair. I wouldn't pick MacDonald, but on the other hand Jugnauth, Robertson, Hall and Jackson all look like decent selections.
11Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the San Jose Sharks
12Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-
13Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the New York Islanders
14Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-
15Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-
16Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Vegas Golden Knights
17Logo of the Nashville Predators-
18Logo of the Dallas Stars-
19Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Los Angeles Kings
20Logo of the Washington Capitals-
21Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-
22Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston Bruins
23Logo of the St. Louis Blues-
24Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
25Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
26Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Calgary Flames
27Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Carolina Hurricanes
28Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Florida Panthers
29Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Edmonton Oilers
30Logo of the Winnipeg JetsLogo of the New York Rangers
31Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-
32Logo of the Edmonton OilersLogo of the Colorado Avalanche
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:38 p.m.
Mešár was far from a reach at 26, he could've gone a lot earlier.

But I still agree with this post. All the teams you listed drafted pretty well overall.
Playersoverpayed liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 2:37 p.m.
Bedard23
Dallas reached for Bichsel in my opinion he wasn’t a terrible pick but I feel like he’s more of a project then most other reach in the first round
Jul. 23, 2022 at 3:17 p.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk
Dallas reached for Bichsel in my opinion he wasn’t a terrible pick but I feel like he’s more of a project then most other reach in the first round

I would be surprised if nobody would mention that wink

Players selected behind Bichsel were Ohgren, Miroshnichenko, Pickering, Gaucher, Snuggerud, Yurov, Rinzel, Mesar... I would also select Bichsel at no. 18.

One might say Miroshnichenko (or Yurov) has higher upside, but also much higher risk. Ohgren, Gaucher and Snuggerud are all safe picks with average upside.

If speaking about D-men, I am taking Bichsel in front of Pickering, Rinzel, Lamouroux and others. He is tested against men (including his hitting) and I like his Combine results. Pickering, Rinzel and Lamouroux each has their share of struggles in juniors. So it relatively easy pick for me. If I am on the clock, I also select Bichsel at no. 18.

It's the nature of the game, D-men are more important. Regular roster has 12F and 6D. D-men play more minutes and their mistakes are devastating. You can afford to play with a few suspicious forwards, but not with a suspicious D-men. That's why on the Draft day GMs prefer D-men in front of forwards of comparable value. Fans would also say Nemec (no. 2), Jiricek (no. 6), Korchinski (no. 7), Mintyukov (no. 10), Mateychuk (no.12), Pickering (no. 21), Rinzel (no. 25) and others are all reaches in front of some XYZ forwards. GMs would call it fair value, fans would call it reaches/overpayments. I am on the GMs side, playoffs history speaks you mostly win with defense and goaltending.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 4:20 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: Playersoverpayed
I would be surprised if nobody would mention that wink

Players selected behind Bichsel were Ohgren, Miroshnichenko, Pickering, Gaucher, Snuggerud, Yurov, Rinzel, Mesar... I would also select Bichsel at no. 18.

One might say Miroshnichenko (or Yurov) has higher upside, but also much higher risk. Ohgren, Gaucher and Snuggerud are all safe picks with average upside.

If speaking about D-men, I am taking Bichsel in front of Pickering, Rinzel, Lamouroux and others. He is tested against men (including his hitting) and I like his Combine results. Pickering, Rinzel and Lamouroux each has their share of struggles in juniors. So it relatively easy pick for me. If I am on the clock, I also select Bichsel at no. 18.

It's the nature of the game, D-men are more important. Regular roster has 12F and 6D. D-men play more minutes and their mistakes are devastating. You can afford to play with a few suspicious forwards, but not with a suspicious D-men. That's why on the Draft day GMs prefer D-men in front of forwards of comparable value. Fans would also say Nemec (no. 2), Jiricek (no. 6), Korchinski (no. 7), Mintyukov (no. 10), Mateychuk (no.12), Pickering (no. 21), Rinzel (no. 25) and others are all reaches in front of some XYZ forwards. GMs would call it fair value, fans would call it reaches/overpayments. I am on the GMs side, playoffs history speaks you mostly win with defense and goaltending.

There’s nothing terrible about the pick don’t get me wrong I just feel like this pick aims towards the future and Dallas is in win now mode. I think Bichsel is a great prospect but he’s not a full Klingberg replacement I think he could be that but I just don’t see it yet
Jul. 23, 2022 at 7:35 p.m.
There’s nothing terrible about the pick don’t get me wrong I just feel like this pick aims towards the future and Dallas is in win now mode. I think Bichsel is a great prospect but he’s not a full Klingberg replacement I think he could be that but I just don’t see it yet

I know you have good intentions. That's the point, it's desirable to have diverse opinions. How would we otherwise be able to learn anything new if we would all think the same way?

Win now? Yes and no. Their roster is old, but they do draft smart (2021: Johnston!!!, Stankoven). They try to be competitive over the longer term. That might mean they could be average over a long stretch of time, but that's another story. I don't think they try to rush their prospects. And if we switch back again to 2022 Draft: is at no. 18 there any player who can help them immediately? Ohgren? Gaucher? Mesar? Kulich? Lambert? I doubt. Maybe 5 NHL games with 5-8 minutes/game on the 4th line, but that doesn't mean anything.

So I would say if Dallas would want to win a Cup now, would they trade away their 2022 1st round pick (like some other teams) and possibly also their 2023 1st round pick. So far it look they are OK with mediocrity.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 12:48 p.m.

Drafting to replace a specific player over bpa that fills your depth chart needs? I don’t think you can really do that. If they wanted to replace Klingberg they could trade for an nhl ready if soon to be ready guy or they should have planned for this in advance and been looking for his replacement sooner. In the short term Heiskanen is already the #1 D now he can get a chance at PP1 and more of an offensive role. Harley could potentially be ready (we’ll see how camp goes) to fill that PP2 spot but more likely it’s Suter which I expect to be a less explosive pp unit.

If they drafted Lamereaux, Luneau, Chessly or another righty here it would have been a bigger reach and still as long or longer development track (3 years minimum imo before Bichsel gets a shot at the NHL roster).
Jul. 27, 2022 at 12:59 p.m.
Quoting: Playersoverpayed
So I would say if Dallas would want to win a Cup now, would they trade away their 2022 1st round pick (like some other teams) and possibly also their 2023 1st round pick. So far it look they are OK with mediocrity.

I’d prefer what they are doing to gambling away firsts on players in the back half of their useful career (any UFA aged player imo) or rentals for what is still very long odds to win now with Benn and Seguin’s contracts holding them down. They’re good enough to sneak into playoffs right now get some revenue and keep their picks and hopefully hit a few home runs, just the four NHL players out of the 2017 draft and last year 2021 (with some high potential picks taken) is enough to convince me they should keep their picks. It would take a lot for this team to be bad enough to seriously contend for a lottery pick with as bad as other teams are right now so that not ideal either and would completely waste the early careers of the 2017 guys.

Call it mediocrity or call it keeping the business afloat by being a contender to make playoffs and get some postseason $$$, but I’d prefer that to selling the farm to be slightly better and it’s the closest thing to having your cake and eating it too if drafting good players and having a great season.
Jul. 29, 2022 at 7:40 p.m.
Lets Get Kraken
I was kind of surprised that Dallas took Bischel, but I was really hoping the Canes would be able to land him. As a Canes fan, the Canes weren’t always a great drafting team (looking at you pick before EK65 and other screw ups). But ever since the ownership changed and Waddell was brought in as the GM, everything changed. Don’t get me wrong, Francis had a few really amazing picks, but he also had a few, not so stellar picks as well (Aho, Lindholm, Hanifin compared to picks like H. Fleury at 7OA (high potential but didn’t pan out), Bean at 13 (defensive pylon with not enough offense to out shine his deficiencies), J. Gauthier at 21 (like the player but didn’t pan out). The Canes for a long time have had an excellent farm system, and are one of the league’s best at developing. So it really doesn’t matter that much with bad picks if they can be developed better. So, Canes fans are extremely excited for Morrow, Trikozov, Montgomery, and Blake.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll