SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

New Jersey Devils signed Jonas Siegenthaler (5 Years / $3,400,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 1, 2022 at 1:10 p.m.
Watches no games
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
There's a difference between offensive leaning and offensive only. In fact, if you are offensive leaning, you likely are an asset defensively, because as long as you have the puck, you opponent can't score.

Siegenthaler is defensive only. He has no offensive upside, meaning as long as he is on the ice, you are likely no scoring either. This is good if you are on the PK, up by a goal late, etc., but neutral most of the time.

You're describing Morgan Rielly in reverse
Aug. 1, 2022 at 2:10 p.m.
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
There's a difference between offensive leaning and offensive only. In fact, if you are offensive leaning, you likely are an asset defensively, because as long as you have the puck, you opponent can't score.

Siegenthaler is defensive only. He has no offensive upside, meaning as long as he is on the ice, you are likely no scoring either. This is good if you are on the PK, up by a goal late, etc., but neutral most of the time.

That is not "neutral" if it shuts down other teams top forward lines. Any coach will tell you that is a "win". There are plenty of other guys on the roster who are responsible for scoring. It's a luxury to have a couple shutdown defenders on any roster; and few have one as good as Jonas proved he was last year.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 11:12 p.m.
Edited Aug. 4, 2022 at 11:32 p.m.
Quoting: Bruins1054_gmb
I've never said you don't have to draft well. All you did was list players that were drafted by their team. Plus, three of the five teams you listed also have only one cup "in the last 30 years." The Bruins have been to three cups in the past 11 years. If you want to diss them for not winning a second one, that's fine but they've been there and have been a model for other teams in the league to build. Look at the Bruins drafted talent: Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, McAvoy, Swayman, Carlo, Grzelcyk, Krejci, DeBrusk. None of those picks were made with a rebuilding team.

I'm not saying every organization does it correctly. We clearly have seen teams fail like Buffalo as you mentioned, but the reasoning behind those failures isn't because rebuilding doesn't work. It is because the front office and scouting department's failed, whether it's not properly developing their prospects, not bringing in the right complementary pieces, making bad trades, or not drafting the right talent.

It's ignorant to say "rebuilding isn't a winning formula" because history clearly shows that statement is simply untrue. It's obviously not a fool proof plan, but it works. Also, I'm not saying it's the only way to form a strong team, such as you've seen with the Bruins. I mean, 5 of the 9 players you listed were drafted outside of the 1st round. That's credited to good scouting, smart development, and honestly a little bit of luck. The key difference is that you were't low in the standings when those players were drafted. That right there is 2 pieces of how to do a successful rebuild. You might not have been tanking, but in reality how the Bruins built their core isn't that far off from what rebuilding is.

With rebuilding, it's not about the formula. It's about those who are trying to solve it. Some win, some fail. Just because some people in the world can't solve a math problem, doesn't mean the formula's wrong. Between the teams I list above, at one point or another, were the bottom feeders of the NHL. They all sucked, drafted, developed, and now they are all champions who's cores were built through the draft.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 9:21 a.m.
Quoting: holtzer
I'm not saying every organization does it correctly. We clearly have seen teams fail like Buffalo as you mentioned, but the reasoning behind those failures isn't because rebuilding doesn't work. It is because the front office and scouting department's failed, whether it's not properly developing their prospects, not bringing in the right complementary pieces, making bad trades, or not drafting the right talent.

It's ignorant to say "rebuilding isn't a winning formula" because history clearly shows that statement is simply untrue. It's obviously not a fool proof plan, but it works. Also, I'm not saying it's the only way to form a strong team, such as you've seen with the Bruins. I mean, 5 of the 9 players you listed were drafted outside of the 1st round. That's credited to good scouting, smart development, and honestly a little bit of luck. The key difference is that you were't low in the standings when those players were drafted. That right there is 2 pieces of how to do a successful rebuild. You might not have been tanking, but in reality how the Bruins built their core isn't that far off from what rebuilding is.

With rebuilding, it's not about the formula. It's about those who are trying to solve it. Some win, some fail. Just because some people in the world can't solve a math problem, doesn't mean the formula's wrong. Between the teams I list above, at one point or another, were the bottom feeders of the NHL. They all sucked, drafted, developed, and now they are all champions who's cores were built through the draft.

Rebuilding is being content with losing.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 11:12 p.m.
Rebuilding is being content with losing.

Losing is product of a rebuild. I don't agree that anyone is content with it, but they have to accept it. Acceptance and being content are very different in the scenario.
Nov. 27, 2022 at 1:07 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
As for Jersey, I've been hearing they're on the rise for at least 5 years now. Nothing good has come of it.

They're on the rise

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit