Forums/Armchair-GM

Another Nylander trade because why not read descriptions

Created by: GMBL
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 26, 2022
Published: Jul. 26, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Not a fan of the Leafs trading Nylander just to do it, but perhaps they would be a better team this year if they were to do these trades.

Inspiration for the Meier trade:
https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-2022-offseason-trade-targets-left-wing/

Yes, the team is still over the cap so they would need to make moves still. Perhaps Necas would only be signed for 3-3.5m though which would give some relief, and Holl exchanged for a cheaper option. Would be less than ideal but Kampf could also be moved out.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$4,000,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Necas, Martin [RFA Rights]
  2. 2023 1st round pick (CAR)
Additional Details:
This was the rumored offer for Tkachuk from CAR
CAR
  1. Nylander, William
Additional Details:
Necas would need to be signed to a deal that the Leafs can afford. I'll just assume he takes 4mx3.
TOR
  1. Meier, Timo
Additional Details:
He's in a similar situation as DeBrincat but as far as production goes, he's not as good. The Sharks won't trade him for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd though. The ask will likely be a young player+top prospect+1st rounder

Of course there are probably other teams in on him and they will take the best offer.
SJS
  1. Kerfoot, Alexander
  2. Robertson, Nicholas
  3. Sandin, Rasmus [RFA Rights]
  4. 2023 1st round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Meier could be assumed to be as a rental for the Leafs, there is the possibility of making moves to sign him next season but qualifying him is too risk for the Leafs.

If the Sandin situation isn't close to being resolved, then the Leafs might as well move him, Kerfoot may or may not have SJ on his list but chances are they would flip him in the season anyways so he might be open to waiving for them.

Perhaps the Leafs can work on these trades simultaneously, and pull off the Nylander trade first, then put in the condition that the Sharks get the better of the TOR or CAR pick.

The Nylander trade could perhaps include a swap with Holl and Bear (but that would depend on him having a low enough cap for the Leafs).
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$82,500,000$79,768,250$212,500$0$2,731,750
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW
RFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
How mad would you be at Dubas if Meier walked as a FA next year after these trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 26, 2022 at 12:18 p.m.
go Sharks go
I feel like Nick Robertson is hella underrated so I'd probably take it
Jul. 26, 2022 at 12:18 p.m.
No, thanks. I would do one or the other as the starting point in a Nylander deal (E.G, Necas+Bear+2nd OR 1st+___+___) but not both. He's coming off a career year which looks unsustainble. I'd love him in Raleigh, but if he's a UFA in 2 years anyway, might as well take the chance there when Toronto will have to focus on re-signing future Arizona Coyotes captain Auston Matthews

Edit: Carolina also physically do not have the cap space to take on 7 million dollars
Jul. 26, 2022 at 12:20 p.m.
Leafs Sufferer
Quoting: Caniac2000
No, thanks. I would do one or the other as the starting point in a Nylander deal (E.G, Necas+Bear+2nd OR 1st+___+___) but not both. He's coming off a career year which looks unsustainble. I'd love him in Raleigh, but if he's a UFA in 2 years anyway, might as well take the chance there when Toronto will have to focus on re-signing future Arizona Coyotes captain Auston Matthews

Edit: Carolina also physically do not have the cap space to take on 7 million dollars

Oh, you're looking to bait some emotional TOR fans with that comment aren't you.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 12:22 p.m.
Quoting: Ritzy
Oh, you're looking to bait some emotional TOR fans with that comment aren't you.

What, Carolina not having the cap space to do this, or not wanting to do Necas + 1st for Nylander?
Ritzy liked this.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 12:24 p.m.
Hurricane Waddell
Respectfully - if the offer for Tkachuk was Necas + 1st the Nylander trade using same structure would be Necas straight up. Tkachuk is a much better player.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 12:25 p.m.
Amirov Forever
In what world does Timo Meier gets more in a trade than William Nylander. Also if that was Carolina's offer for Tkachuk, then its no wonder he's a Panther right now
mauston_atthews liked this.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 12:26 p.m.

Not sure how you think Nylander's production is unsustainable, his production each year shows natural progression, his line also didn't have that good of a year in terms of 5v5 play last year for a good portion of the year (they were giving up as much as they were scoring), so he will probably have a better production.

I realize that Carolina doesn't have the cap, but if they actually did make an offer for Tkachuk, who would obviously be well above 7m, then that would mean that they could make this work. Personally, I think Necas+ 1st is an underwhelming return for Nylander -even if Necas can be just as good or better- but it matches the risk for Carolina, and Necas potentially being just as good as Nylander and the 1st is the motivation for the Leafs to do the trade.
Logan_Ollivier liked this.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 12:27 p.m.
Quoting: Caniac555
Respectfully - if the offer for Tkachuk was Necas + 1st the Nylander trade using same structure would be Necas straight up. Tkachuk is a much better player.

If Tkachuk is a better player than Nylander, then Necas+a 1st for Tkachuk was a lowball.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 12:30 p.m.
Banned

it obviously wasnt a good offer
Quoting: Nathaniel
In what world does Timo Meier gets more in a trade than William Nylander. Also if that was Carolina's offer for Tkachuk, then its no wonder he's a Panther right now

I would say Nylander is better than Meier, but TOR can't say we are underselling our player, so lower your ask. Or they can't say to Carolina we are going to pay a king's ransom for a year of Meier, so give us more even though this trade puts you over the cap.
Banned
Quoting: GMBL
Not sure how you think Nylander's production is unsustainable, his production each year shows natural progression, his line also didn't have that good of a year in terms of 5v5 play last year for a good portion of the year (they were giving up as much as they were scoring), so he will probably have a better production.

I realize that Carolina doesn't have the cap, but if they actually did make an offer for Tkachuk, who would obviously be well above 7m, then that would mean that they could make this work. Personally, I think Necas+ 1st is an underwhelming return for Nylander -even if Necas can be just as good or better- but it matches the risk for Carolina, and Necas potentially being just as good as Nylander and the 1st is the motivation for the Leafs to do the trade.

Ok, we will keep our assets and you can keep your thing.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 12:32 p.m.

You're missing the other reported piece in the Carolina offer -- Teravainen. I've seen it reported (I don't know how accurate and I cannot remember where) that Teravainen was the other piece making up that package. Clears the cap, and sends back a HELL of a player. While that might not have been enough, the money (roughly 4 mil in cap now + Teuvo's 5.4) would have been enough to get Tkachuk done. Tkachuk is also a MUCH better player than Nylander.

Nylander's production last year came with a remarkably high PDO, and a high shooting percentage. He made his money on the powerplay. Not exactly worth much at even strength. Necas in his down year (remembering, Necas is 3 years younger than Nylander, can ACTUALLY play Center, and is still under team control as opposed to being a UFA in 2 years) just isn't something I'd consider doing here. This doesn't work in multiple aspects.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 12:33 p.m.
Quoting: SJSGM
I feel like Nick Robertson is hella underrated so I'd probably take it

He probably is but like Marchement and so many prospects before him, management might not have the time to be patient enough for him to develop.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 12:33 p.m.
I would rather the Canes cut our Toronto here and trade for Meier.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 12:46 p.m.
Hurricane Waddell
Yep sure was - and honestly I highly doubt that was the actual offer for Tkachuk. It’s been reported that the Canes were in the running to the end and had the best ‘futures’ offer. It would have needed more than Necas + 1.

I wasn’t sure why you modeled your trade after this ‘rumor’. Seemed as if you were comparing Nylander and Tkachuk.

If Tkachuk is a better player than Nylander, then Necas+a 1st for Tkachuk was a lowball.
vikhodush, GMBL and Cardiac liked this.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 12:49 p.m.
Edited Jul. 26, 2022 at 1:17 p.m.
You're missing the other reported piece in the Carolina offer -- Teravainen. I've seen it reported (I don't know how accurate and I cannot remember where) that Teravainen was the other piece making up that package. Clears the cap, and sends back a HELL of a player. While that might not have been enough, the money (roughly 4 mil in cap now + Teuvo's 5.4) would have been enough to get Tkachuk done. Tkachuk is also a MUCH better player than Nylander.

Nylander's production last year came with a remarkably high PDO, and a high shooting percentage. He made his money on the powerplay. Not exactly worth much at even strength. Necas in his down year (remembering, Necas is 3 years younger than Nylander, can ACTUALLY play Center, and is still under team control as opposed to being a UFA in 2 years) just isn't something I'd consider doing here. This doesn't work in multiple aspects.

Nylander's powerplay points is ~30% of his points, which is average among most players. He was still 20th in the league for projected 5v5 goals (https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1550992912506408960?s=20&t=7Keiz3XLegiAaRUru2bvJw). Nylander probably can't play C anymore, but to be fair he was only tried at the playoffs 2 years ago (few games, high pressure situation), I think the last time he played C before that was sometime in the playoffs. That being said they wouldn't be trading for him to play C.

As for Teuvo, he has a M-NTC or NTC, so moving him at this time in the off-season might be difficult but he's a good player like you said. So chances are that there could be moves that facilitate this trade, if not then the deal wouldn't happen.

I'm not saying these trades are perfect for any of the teams but they are within the realm of possibility.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 12:55 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Nylander's PDO last season 100.4 (this was the lowest of his career? ) his shooting % (13.3) Career (11.9) how is that a crazy shooting %
Tkachuk's PDO last season 105.4 (highest of his career) his shooting % (16.6) Career (13.5%)

if anyone is going to regress next year it's Matthew freakin Thachuk
Jul. 26, 2022 at 12:58 p.m.
Yep sure was - and honestly I highly doubt that was the actual offer for Tkachuk. It’s been reported that the Canes were in the running to the end and had the best ‘futures’ offer. It would have needed more than Necas + 1.

I wasn’t sure why you modeled your trade after this ‘rumor’. Seemed as if you were comparing Nylander and Tkachuk.

The difference between Nylander and Tkachuk in terms of production is a year in Tkachuk's favor in terms of age and massive breakout and/or outlier year. The way I see it, Nylander is one year older, and is at where Tkachuk was last year. I do think Tkachuk will take a massive step back but playing with Barkov, he will likely still get 85- 90 pts. I also think Nylander is the more skilled player from the two, and if he were to be the first option like Tkachuk was/is, playing with Aho, he will likely have 90+ pts as well.

The reason why I "modelled" it off that rumor is because it shows the willingness of CAR to move on from Necas and the 1st, but also take a 7m+ player. You did mention that Teuvo would also be going the other way, here CAR could potentially move him for assets if not, then of course they wouldn't put themselves in a tight spot.

I think teams saw more value in Tkachuk being young and being "a unicorn" than the 100-pt season but they can't just ignore that in negotiations but they also saw CGY was in a tough position, so they can hope him being overvalued because of that season + CGY's predicament cancel each other out in terms of cost acquisition. Treliving did say Florida's offer was by far the best.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 1:07 p.m.
Won’t go too deep into the MT trade offer which supposedly was more than Necas and a first (maybe Turbo or Skjei plus somebody like Morrow or Drury) but don’t think the situations are too close. MT is better and was signing long term. Nylander is very good and an upgrade on Necas in the short term for sure but likely wouldn’t sign an extension in CAR.

I think the value here is fair but unless they can find a way to dump Gardiner the trade isn’t possible. I wouldn’t want to move Skjei or turbo either in this deal or separately just to fit in Nylander. Would rather keep Necas. Maybe before the Patches deal this would’ve worked better but I still think I prefer that so we can keep Necas and the first plus have patches for at least a year.
GMBL liked this.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 1:11 p.m.
Quoting: Cardiac
Ok, we will keep our assets and you can keep your thing.

I personally would very much rather the Leafs exercise patience even if it costs Dubas his job and keep Nylander until they can see if signing him+Matthews is realistic (if Matthews leaves in ufa, they are going to need him). As for the 2LW position, they should see what happens in the season in terms of Robertson's development and other players, and then go from there to see what they can add later in the season if need be.

However, this mock trade isn't based on my wants, it's based on the idea of Toronto getting Meier as a rental, an expensive one at that, and the suggested trades are within the realm of possibility, doesn't mean that the respective fanbases have to like them and I'm not saying there is a high chance of this happening either.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 1:16 p.m.
Quoting: ecupirate07
I would rather the Canes cut our Toronto here and trade for Meier.

Meier will cost them more than Necas and a 1st and Meier's QO next year is 10m. So unless he's coming with an extension prior to the trade, I don't see Waddell touching a Meier trade with a 200-ft pole.

On that note, what do you think CAR would add on top of Necas+a 1st+ Gardiner (for example) for Meier's (with an ~8m AAV extension)?
Jul. 26, 2022 at 1:17 p.m.
Nylander's powerplay points is ~30% of his points, which is average among most players. He was still 20th in the league for projected 5v5 goals. Nylander probably can't play C anymore, but to be fair he was only tried at the playoffs 2 years ago (few games, high pressure situation), I think the last time he played C before that was sometime in the playoffs. That being said they wouldn't be trading for him to play C.
https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1550992912506408960?s=20&t=7Keiz3XLegiAaRUru2bvJw.

As for Teuvo, he has a M-NTC or NTC, so moving him at this time in the off-season might be difficult but he's a good player like you said. So chances are that there could be moves that facilitate this trade, if not then the deal wouldn't happen.

I'm not saying these trades are perfect for any of the teams but they are within the realm of possibility.

Difference is... I'd trade Teuvo for Tkachuk, I would not do it for Nylander. 100 point Matthew Tkachuk and even if he doesn't reach 100 points again, just hits 80 is a dominant defensive player and is an underlying pest? Yeah. Winger that gets to play with Auston Matthews, and is coming of the best year of his career which appears unsustainable? God no.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 1:19 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Nylander's PDO last season 100.4 (this was the lowest of his career? ) his shooting % (13.3) Career (11.9) how is that a crazy shooting %
Tkachuk's PDO last season 105.4 (highest of his career) his shooting % (16.6) Career (13.5%)

if anyone is going to regress next year it's Matthew freakin Thachuk

Tkachuk will regress. Certainly. But he's also a very good two way player, Nylander is openly not. Tkachuk is a nasty SoB. Nylander... not. Tkachuk knows exactly how to get under peoples skin... Nylander can, but not as much. If they both regress to the same degree, I'd still rather have Tkachuk
Jul. 26, 2022 at 1:23 p.m.
Edited Jul. 26, 2022 at 1:29 p.m.
Difference is... I'd trade Teuvo for Tkachuk, I would not do it for Nylander. 100 point Matthew Tkachuk and even if he doesn't reach 100 points again, just hits 80 is a dominant defensive player and is an underlying pest? Yeah. Winger that gets to play with Auston Matthews, and is coming of the best year of his career which appears unsustainable? God no.

Nylander only plays with Matthews on the powerplay (and like I said Nylander's powerplay points % of total points is within average career-wise and last season) he spent most of the year with Tavares and some one line 3 with Engvall and Kampf which quite frankly was analytically better than the prior when the Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander line had a slump (Tavares had a 13-game goaless drought last year which hasn't had since his rookie season).

I was saying Teuvo gets traded elsewhere to make the Nylander trade work cap-wise but since they wouldn't be replacing his skillset, then it could be someone else that they trade.

Tkachuk will regress. Certainly. But he's also a very good two way player, Nylander is openly not. Tkachuk is a nasty SoB. Nylander... not. Tkachuk knows exactly how to get under peoples skin... Nylander can, but not as much. If they both regress to the same degree, I'd still rather have Tkachuk

There is no reason to think Nylander will regress in overall production even if his shooting percentage goes down. He's not a defensive liability, doesn't give up the pick nearly as much as Tkachuk does, he has more takeaways than giveaways, he's good at zone entry. You wouldn't be getting Nylander to play defense. The only concern about acquiring him is fitting him under the cap, the risk of losing him but that's why they wouldn't give up too much, and his laziness/fit in the Hurricanes system.
Jul. 26, 2022 at 1:30 p.m.
Meier will cost them more than Necas and a 1st and Meier's QO next year is 10m. So unless he's coming with an extension prior to the trade, I don't see Waddell touching a Meier trade with a 200-ft pole.

On that note, what do you think CAR would add on top of Necas+a 1st+ Gardiner (for example) for Meier's (with an ~8m AAV extension)?

We dont mind paying for young power forwards. The QO doesnt scare me that much as we have a ton of cap space for next year. If a long term extension cant be reached, we can do the QO and just give us more time for a contract. Meier will be young enough that we would pursue the contract. Doing it before the QO would be beneficial.
GMBL liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit