SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Ottawa Senators signed Mathieu Joseph (4 Years / $2,950,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 28, 2022 at 7:17 p.m.
Mathieu Joseph has signed a new contract with the Ottawa Senators.
Standard Contract
Comparable ContractsCOMPARE THIS CONTRACT
SIGNED BY: Pierre Dorion
Length: 4 years
Value: $11,800,000
Expiry Status: UFA
Cap % Tooltip: 3.58
Signing Team: Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsOttawa Senators
Signing Date: Jul. 28, 2022
Source: CapFriendly

Mathieu Joseph signed a 4 year, $11,800,000 contract with the Ottawa Senators on Jul. 28, 2022. The contract has a cap hit of $2,950,000.

SEASONClauseCap HitTooltipAAV TooltipP. BonusesTooltipS. BonusesTooltipBase SalaryTooltipTotal SalaryTooltipMinors SalTooltip
2022-23$2,950,000$2,950,000$0$0$2,500,000$2,500,000$2,500,000
2023-24$2,950,000$2,950,000$0$0$2,700,000$2,700,000$2,700,000
2024-25$2,950,000$2,950,000$0$0$3,300,000$3,300,000$3,300,000
2025-26$2,950,000$2,950,000$0$0$3,300,000$3,300,000$3,300,000
TOTAL$11,800,000$11,800,000$0$0$11,800,000$11,800,000$11,800,000
Arbitration Requested Icon ARBITRATION: This contract was signed following an arbitration filing
Jul. 28, 2022 at 7:19 p.m.
Canes hockey.
I like this signing, good deal for a 3rd liner with 2nd line potential. Also good for Joseph, Bigger minutes seemed to fit him well in Ottawa
JackForHart, MountRoyal, TheBoyDuddus and 4 others liked this.
Jul. 28, 2022 at 7:19 p.m.
1-0 them
I like it for the sens
TheBoyDuddus, Boubou79, sensonfire and 2 others liked this.
Jul. 28, 2022 at 7:28 p.m.
dorion signing way too many risky contracts
Bruins1054_gmb and Jfstompers liked this.
Jul. 28, 2022 at 7:29 p.m.
I had him at 4×2.75, so this is right in that range. Very reasonable price for a versatile middle six winger. Great speed, hard-nosed player, defensively responsible and showed good offensive upside in Ottawa. He's also just really likable.
TheBoyDuddus, Boubou79, sensonfire and 4 others liked this.
Jul. 28, 2022 at 7:29 p.m.
Farewell
Edited Jul. 28, 2022 at 7:40 p.m.
Quality signing, a bit of a risk with the term (he might only be 25, but that terrific stretch in OTT last year was only an 11 game sample size) but Joseph will prove Dorion right on this one-hope he succeeds in Ottawa (as long as Paul succeeds more smile)
Boubou79 liked this.
Jul. 28, 2022 at 7:32 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Fantastic signing. He was so good in his short stint with the Sens. If he can recapture even half of that magic then this is a W, if not then its still relatively cheap and easily affordable. Summer of Dorian continues
Boubou79, rollie1967, sensonfire and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 28, 2022 at 7:33 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: draftletic
dorion signing way too many risky contracts

Joseph is only 25 and this caphit is nothing. Pretty much zero risk IMO
Boubou79 liked this.
Jul. 28, 2022 at 7:36 p.m.
Smythe.over.Hart
I don’t agree with the few above saying there’s a bit of a risk. He’s 25. Deal will expire at 30. He’s had 4 seasons playing with the best team in the league. Came to Ottawa and posted fantastic numbers. I think this kid will turn a lot of heads this season. Likely push for a top 6 spot all year long. As much as I hate to say it, the Sens are a legit team.
rollie1967 liked this.
Jul. 28, 2022 at 7:44 p.m.
Its a little more than I thought he would get, but there is plenty opportunity in Ottawa for him to make it look like a steal. good player who will get a much bigger role in Ottawa than he had in Tampa.
jr400 liked this.
Jul. 28, 2022 at 8:38 p.m.
Pop Pop
I like him too but 11 games. He had 12 pts and 10 came in the 4 games against Detroit and Montreal who were historically bad defensively.
Jul. 28, 2022 at 9:08 p.m.
Quoting: Jfstompers
I like him too but 11 games. He had 12 pts and 10 came in the 4 games against Detroit and Montreal who were historically bad defensively.

Yes, it’s a small sample size, but if he scored at that pace for a full season, he’d be getting a lot more money. When you balance out all the potential pluses and minuses, the sample size and what he’s shown and hasn’t shown, and the 4-year term, this contract seems fair to me.
Jfstompers liked this.
Jul. 28, 2022 at 9:14 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Only 8M of capspace left to sign Formenton and Brannstrom. Holy spending off season.

Do you think Ottawa is making all those power moves because the GM thinks his team is "mature enough to get to the next level".... or just because the new ownership is less of a scrooge? 😏
Jul. 28, 2022 at 9:24 p.m.
Pop Pop
Quoting: jr400
Yes, it’s a small sample size, but if he scored at that pace for a full season, he’d be getting a lot more money. When you balance out all the potential pluses and minuses, the sample size and what he’s shown and hasn’t shown, and the 4-year term, this contract seems fair to me.

No I get it and I think he's worth the dollars idk about the term. The scary part is take out montreal and detroit he has 2 pts in 8 games.
Jul. 28, 2022 at 10:02 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
-Senators trade Connor Brown @ 4M per to WSH for 2024 2nd Round Pick
-Senators extend Mathieu Joseph. He will make 2.5M in 2022-23.
-Joseph will play the same role as Brown for 1.5M less in 2022-23.
-That role is top matchup/defensive winger, and top unit PK time. Occasional fill in on top 2 lines. Expect 30 points and 18 minutes a night with tough d-zone deployment.

That's basically what this is about. The Senators are spending in the mid 70 millions in real cash.

The Senators are at about 72 million in real money spent with a 19 player roster. If the Senators find their mythical top 4D, this trade points to Formenton being part of the package that gets him. Formenton will get something similar to Kakko, 2 years at 2.XX million. Which means he will make around 1.5-2.0 million in year 1. Brannstrom will either sign his qualifying offer, or get 2 years at around 1.5 million. Either way, he ends up making about 1 million next year since a 2 year deal would be backloaded. Senators also need to give up assets to dump Zaitsev and his 2M base salary.

I don't remember the exact number their budget was confirmed at, it might have been 74 million. Chychrun makes 4 million this season, Weegar makes 4.75 million, Klingberg is probably asking for something in the 4 million range. You do the math. Unless the Senators budget is higher than previously reported, Formenton+Zaitsev will go out in either a trade or a series of trades to add the top 4D. Or, they will keep the roster as is right now with the exception of Formenton and Brannstrom signed to bridge deals or their qualifying offers.

For example, if they sign Klingberg, it wouldn't surprise mt to see Formenton as the sweetener for a team to take Zaitsev. If they trade for Chychrun, Formenton+Zaitsev will both be in the deal, along with the assets for Chychrun. Same deal with Weegar or whoever else. That's my theory....
Jul. 28, 2022 at 10:11 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: jpsnow13
Only 8M of capspace left to sign Formenton and Brannstrom. Holy spending off season.

Do you think Ottawa is making all those power moves because the GM thinks his team is "mature enough to get to the next level".... or just because the new ownership is less of a scrooge? 😏

They are making these moves because the alternative is tearing it down and rebuilding again. If they didn't add players, there is a reasonable chance Chabot asks out next season. Then, you can imagine that opens the floodgates. It was already rumored that Tkachuk and Chabot laid down the law in their exit interviews, or at the very least asked for legit NHL stars. Chabot has also spent his entire career as a young star on a rebuild, and then on a rebuild that failed to launch. He isn't sticking around much longer if the Senators don't make strides.

They turned the corner this year, but their budget is still hampering them. If not for their budget, they likely could have added a top 4 defenseman on an expiring contract for zero or minimal assets. Look at how many teams want to shed cap. They added Talbot in that same dynamic, but now the Senators are in the same position that all the cap teams trying to shed contracts are in. Only, for the Senators, it's not cap that is blocking them, it's real money. They want to add a top 4D, but they have to move Zaitsev, which I can imagine is getting costlier by the day as the amount of open cap (with spendable money to back it) diminishes.

I am not the Melnyk sisters, it's not my money, but I mean if a top 4D is the difference between possibly contending and failing, they should just say screw it and spend the extra 5-7 million on expiring contracts (that are available for nothing in trades) in order to beef up their investment. They have done enough now to get fans really excited, but if the team doesn't deliver on the ice this season, the goodwill is going to quickly diminish. Making the playoffs this season could change the entire long term outlook of the team in term of season ticket sales, fan engagement, and fan perception. The team suffered from a problem with their brand was too tied up with Melnyks toxic brand, and now they have a chance to escape that. If I were them, I wouldn't want to commit to long term contracts beyond what they are financially able to do, but there is probably a chance either through trade or free agency to load up the roster with a #3-4 defenseman whose contract is up at the end of the season, but they'd likely need to spend to 80 million.
HockeyScotty liked this.
Jul. 28, 2022 at 10:17 p.m.
Quoting: budgeteam
-Senators trade Connor Brown 4M per to WSH for 2024 2nd Round Pick
-That role is top matchup/defensive winger, and top unit PK time. Occasional fill in on top 2 lines. Expect 30 points and 18 minutes a night with tough d-zone deployment.

That's basically what this is about. The Senators are spending in the mid 70 millions in real cash.

The Senators are at about 72 million in real money spent with a 19 player roster. If the Senators find their mythical top 4D, this trade points to Formenton being part of the package that gets him. Formenton will get something similar to Kakko, 2 years at 2.XX million. Which means he will make around 1.5-2.0 million in year 1. Brannstrom will either sign his qualifying offer, or get 2 years at around 1.5 million. Either way, he ends up making about 1 million next year since a 2 year deal would be backloaded. Senators also need to give up assets to dump Zaitsev and his 2M base salary.

I don't remember the exact number their budget was confirmed at, it might have been 74 million. Chychrun makes 4 million this season, Weegar makes 4.75 million, Klingberg is probably asking for something in the 4 million range. You do the math. Unless the Senators budget is higher than previously reported, Formenton+Zaitsev will go out in either a trade or a series of trades to add the top 4D. Or, they will keep the roster as is right now with the exception of Formenton and Brannstrom signed to bridge deals or their qualifying offers.

For example, if they sign Klingberg, it wouldn't surprise mt to see Formenton as the sweetener for a team to take Zaitsev. If they trade for Chychrun, Formenton+Zaitsev will both be in the deal, along with the assets for Chychrun. Same deal with Weegar or whoever else. That's my theory....

Klingberg is definitely looking for a lot more than 4 million. Hell Gudbranson just signed for 4X4. This makes Klingberg like a 6-8 million dollar player. I am sure he is not taking any less than that. Subban might be a decent option if he is not too washed up. Could probably be had for around or less than 3 mil. Maybe 2.5. You could see the internal route with Thomson and JBD both rights unless Zaitsev's contract can be Dumped. Probably why Ottawa drafted so many D this year, once Zub and then Sanderson sign long term Ottawa will badley need those ELC's to fill the ranks.
Jul. 28, 2022 at 10:43 p.m.
-Senators trade Connor Brown 4M per to WSH for 2024 2nd Round Pick

No need to use Formenton as a sweetener. It was floated that Chicago would take Zeitsef and a 2nd round pick which is what Brown was traded for (https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Kevin-Francis/UPDATED-5pm-EST---Klingberg-rumours-to-Ottawa/294/118112). Signing the King Klingberg with the space will make for a very fun team to watch hopefully into the warm months and through another southern ontario opponent giving them another first round exit smile.
Jul. 28, 2022 at 11:05 p.m.
torontos finest
gonna assume that this contract isn't going to look great in a few years, and if i'm right i'm gonna be real smug about it if i remember
Jul. 29, 2022 at 2:58 a.m.
Usually relatively low AAV contracts aren't considered high risk, but this one is definitely high risk/high reward. Obviously, Dorion thinks he's gonna break out next season.
Jul. 29, 2022 at 10:10 a.m.
Quoting: jpsnow13

New ownership not in place yet, probably was given a "salary budget" (actual cash paid) by the heirs/executors and told "make the team as valuable as you can".

Most likely much less micro-management from the ownership position and the freedom to do his job unfettered.

The actual salary paid this year is much less than the AAV since many of those contracts are on the front end still.

I would imagine season ticket sales and other revenues for the Senators are moving upwards and all of these moves will make the team more valuable thus increasing the profit to the heirs.
Jul. 29, 2022 at 10:26 a.m.
Quoting: SlicedCheese
No need to use Formenton as a sweetener. It was floated that Chicago would take Zeitsef and a 2nd round pick which is what Brown was traded for (https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Kevin-Francis/UPDATED-5pm-EST---Klingberg-rumours-to-Ottawa/294/118112). Signing the King Klingberg with the space will make for a very fun team to watch hopefully into the warm months and through another southern ontario opponent giving them another first round exit smile.

Quoting: Ghazel
Klingberg is definitely looking for a lot more than 4 million. Hell Gudbranson just signed for 4X4. This makes Klingberg like a 6-8 million dollar player. I am sure he is not taking any less than that. Subban might be a decent option if he is not too washed up. Could probably be had for around or less than 3 mil. Maybe 2.5. You could see the internal route with Thomson and JBD both rights unless Zaitsev's contract can be Dumped. Probably why Ottawa drafted so many D this year, once Zub and then Sanderson sign long term Ottawa will badley need those ELC's to fill the ranks.

Wouldn't the Senators be better off making another deal with Chicago to get Connor Murphy instead of signing Klingberg. They already have too many "offensive" blueliners; adding a two-way/shutdown RHD to pair with Chabot, Sanderson, or Brännström and an upgrade over Zaitsev seems to be the best way to go. Another option could be to dump Zaitsev and then trade for one the LA Kings plethora of RHD on fairly cheap deals; almost feels like Sean Walker is the odd man out there.

Can't see why anyone would trade for Formenton right now unless the NHL investigation can clear him of any wrongdoing in the scandal; but he is one of the handful that are under the microscope (along with Batherson). This is possibly going to impact the Senators more than any other team from a PR and talent point of view; how they handle it is going to be a big part of their story going forward.
Jul. 29, 2022 at 10:35 a.m.
Good signing, wee bit high.
Really gave in after the arbitration.
Jul. 29, 2022 at 1:46 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: SlicedCheese

Kevin Francis and Hockeybuzz are not reliable in the least bit. Hockeybuzz is pretty much a punch line.

If the Senators could have moved Zaitsev for only a 2nd, I suspect they would have done it by now. The price to dump players has apparently gone up since the draft, with how little cap space there is league wide. The ask to move JVR, who only has 1 year left at a low base salary was apparently a 1st round pick.
Jul. 29, 2022 at 1:55 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Wouldn't the Senators be better off making another deal with Chicago to get Connor Murphy instead of signing Klingberg. They already have too many "offensive" blueliners; adding a two-way/shutdown RHD to pair with Chabot, Sanderson, or Brännström and an upgrade over Zaitsev seems to be the best way to go. Another option could be to dump Zaitsev and then trade for one the LA Kings plethora of RHD on fairly cheap deals; almost feels like Sean Walker is the odd man out there.

Can't see why anyone would trade for Formenton right now unless the NHL investigation can clear him of any wrongdoing in the scandal; but he is one of the handful that are under the microscope (along with Batherson). This is possibly going to impact the Senators more than any other team from a PR and talent point of view; how they handle it is going to be a big part of their story going forward.

With the names the Senators were tied to, they clearly want someone who can help them transition out of their zone. A big problem with their team has been their inability to move the puck out of the zone. Chabot is the only one who can consistently do that. The Senators have been tied to different types of defensemen though. They have been tied to Chychrun, Weegar, Klingberg, and Marino. I might be missing someone.

Brannstrom is bad at moving the puck in the NHL. He isn't a good enough skater and generally stinks. Maybe he puts it all together this season and can play at a higher level in his own zone. In all likelihood, he is a 2nd unit PP specialist in the NHL and doesn't solve any of the Sens problems at even strength.

Sanderson should be a star, but he hasn't played a game yet and has had a concerning amount of bad luck with injuries over the last few seasons.

Going into the season with this current D-core would be ill advised. They really need more than a Klingberg, but he'd at least help. I have a feeling that Arizona understands the leverage they have over the Senators due to the Senators budget, and Arizona's ability to take Zaitsev, and Chychrun's low 2022-23 salary. It wouldn't surprise me if both sides find a middle ground before training camp, and we see the Senators go all out and acquire Chychrun for a package with their 2023 1st, a prospect, Formenton, Zaitsev, and maybe a few more picks.

I also wonder if the Senators lost out on Marino due to needing to move Zaitsev. Given how bad Ty Smith was this past season, his value couldn't have been that high. The Senators could have beat that offer. Marino also has ties to the Senators new assistant GM Ryan Bowness.
HockeyScotty liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit