SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #10 - Kadri oh Kadri, wherefore art thou Kadri?

Aug. 1, 2022 at 3:37 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Well yeah no sh*t sherlock, but will they even make a roster or even go at all? I’ve heard about the other teams, but I haven’t for them at all, so I’m curious on this situation.

its canadas sport. they would never not compete
Aug. 1, 2022 at 3:42 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
I feel like Dougie Hamilton will be the Devils' Tavares in a not too distant future.
zk97 and yikes liked this.
Aug. 1, 2022 at 3:44 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
I feel like Juraj Slafkovsky will be the next Kaapo Kakko (elite first line winger)
Aug. 1, 2022 at 3:49 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: SevenLeg
I feel like Dougie Hamilton will be the Devils' Tavares in a not too distant future.

What’s that supposed to mean?
Aug. 1, 2022 at 4:03 p.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
What’s that supposed to mean?

still a good player, not worth his contract
capsfan2121, SevenLeg, BuFfaLOFaN and 4 others liked this.
Aug. 1, 2022 at 4:11 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: Db1899

Also that a signing of this caliber was done a year or two too soon given the team's situation, but such opportunities are so rare that the team jumped on it.
zk97, MatthewsFan and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Aug. 1, 2022 at 4:12 p.m.
Quoting: Devil
I feel like Juraj Slafkovsky will be the next Kaapo Kakko (elite first line winger)

Shane Wright is the next Lafreniere.
Aug. 1, 2022 at 4:14 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

He did just had his 5th best season in total points, which was his 13th year in the league. Not too shabby 🤷‍♂️

And only 3 years left. A move to the wing would be very beneficial for me, he was never fast but is starting to slow even more with the foot speed.

IMO tho he will still be putting up points
aadoyle liked this.
Aug. 1, 2022 at 4:15 p.m.
do not Devil my ass

I can see it but don't think the ramifications of his 9m cap hit for the Devils will be nearly as big as Tavares's 11m has been for the Leafs.
Cap is gonna go up a lot quicker starting 25/26 (like 2-2.5m) and the Devils are unlikely to have one (let alone two) core players making more than 9m, nevermind eight figures.
Aug. 1, 2022 at 4:16 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Also that a signing of this caliber was done a year or two too soon given the team's situation, but such opportunities are so rare that the team jumped on it.

While I will also agree with that, they didn’t need another impact C, you can’t pass that up if one comes available for free.

It can’t be understated enough that if things had continued on their previous trajectory, with the salary cap rising about 4.5 percent per year (the pre-COVID, post-2013 CBA average), it would currently stand at a little under $94.8-million.
Aug. 1, 2022 at 4:19 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

Aug. 1, 2022 at 4:25 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: MatthewsFan
While I will also agree with that, they didn’t need another impact C, you can’t pass that up if one comes available for free.

It can’t be understated enough that if things had continued on their previous trajectory, with the salary cap rising about 4.5 percent per year (the pre-COVID, post-2013 CBA average), it would currently stand at a little under $94.8-million.

Quoting: Tintin
I can see it but don't think the ramifications of his 9m cap hit for the Devils will be nearly as big as Tavares's 11m has been for the Leafs.
Cap is gonna go up a lot quicker starting 25/26 (like 2-2.5m) and the Devils are unlikely to have one (let alone two) core players making more than 9m, nevermind eight figures.

Of course both moves are understandable because players like Tavares & Hamilton don't grow on trees, but since they were not near contending, it impacts the team a lot once the high picks' ELCs from the rebuild are starting to expire. The Leafs couldn't properly surround their high-quality stars (post-ELC) for years and the Devils have an even larger pool of ELCs who'll be looking for raises. Also, knowing they could transform Siegenthaler into a high-end defensive guy + signing him to a very reasonable 5-year deal + acquiring 5 years Marino + drafting Simon Nemec (not even mentioning Luke Hughes four days prior) in the span of one year, I simply feel like the Devils weren't savvy enough regarding the Hamilton signing.
Aug. 1, 2022 at 4:29 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Of course both moves are understandable because players like Tavares & Hamilton don't grow on trees, but since they were not near contending, it impacts the team a lot once the high picks' ELCs from the rebuild are starting to expire. The Leafs couldn't properly surround their high-quality stars (post-ELC) for years and the Devils have an even larger pool of ELCs who'll be looking for raises. Also, knowing they could transform Siegenthaler into a high-end defensive guy + signing him to a very reasonable 5-year deal + acquiring 5 years Marino + drafting Simon Nemec (not even mentioning Luke Hughes four days prior) in the span of one year, I simply feel like the Devils weren't savvy enough regarding the Hamilton signing.

But again, how were they supposed to add a supporting cast with no cap movement 🤷‍♂️

FXpsfYxUUAANUl_?format=png&name=900x900
SevenLeg and justaBoss liked this.
Aug. 1, 2022 at 4:34 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
But again, how were they supposed to add a supporting cast with no cap movement 🤷‍♂️

FXpsfYxUUAANUl_?format=png&name=900x900

By predicting a global pandemic, duh.

But in all seriousness, signing Tavares to $11M per year with Matthews & Marner needing contracts the following year was always playing with fire, flat cap or not, but the flat cap greatly aggravated it.
MatthewsFan, A_Habs_fan and zk97 liked this.
Aug. 1, 2022 at 4:38 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
By predicting a global pandemic, duh.

But in all seriousness, signing Tavares to $11M per year with Matthews & Marner needing contracts the following year was always playing with fire, flat cap or not, but the flat cap greatly aggravated it.

Agree with you there, couple that with just horrible drafting from 2015-16-17 (outside of there 1st round picks).

Tavares rushed their rebuild 100 percent. But I guess you also kinda have to take that risk when a player of his calibre comes available for free.

I feel like the Habs will be having the same type of conversations about adding Huberdeau + Dubois
capsfan2121 and zk97 liked this.
Aug. 1, 2022 at 4:43 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Agree with you there, couple that with just horrible drafting from 2015-16-17 (outside of there 1st round picks).

Tavares rushed their rebuild 100 percent. But I guess you also kinda have to take that risk when a player of his calibre comes available for free.

I feel like the Habs will be having the same type of conversations about adding Huberdeau + Dubois

Huberdeau who becomes UFA at 30, definitely, but I disagree about Dubois who becomes UFA at 26. Signing him could spare the team of 1-2 additional years of rebuild (unless they land Bedard or Fantilli in 2023).
zk97 liked this.
Aug. 1, 2022 at 4:44 p.m.
do not Devil my ass

I'd like to reiterate that Hamilton's cap hit has a significantly less impact on the Devils now and in the future (due to lower number and higher future cap) compared to how Tavares's cap has impacted the Leafs.
But I do take your point, it has some validity to it, though at 33-34 years I could actually see a guy like Hamilton still being worth 8-9m.
And if you're just making your analysis by the cap sheet it's a perfectly apt one.
Though there should be plenty of space to go all out and sign someone like Patrick Kane at an 8m+ cap hit for two three years while Luke Hughes, Nemec, Holtz and Gritsyuk are all riding their ELCs simultaneously.

I think your analysis lacks some of the intangibles the Hamilton signing meant for the Devils.
Signing a top 5 D from the previous season was a statement signing, both internally as well as externally.
For one of the youngest teams in the league it provided both some comfort in a veteran presence but also intensified competition as signing a guy like Hamilton challenges the others to be better professionals, to work harder to become the best versions of themselves.

But I also think that the Devils benefited from the signing by how it changed the league's and the community's perception of them.
I view it kinda like purchasing confidence and better posture, if that makes sense.
SevenLeg liked this.
Aug. 1, 2022 at 4:52 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: Devil

YES nod
zk97 liked this.
Aug. 1, 2022 at 4:53 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Do you guys know when Team Canada decides their WJC roster?

USA is announcing the 7th I believe - so Canada probably would be around that time (although we do know the current 27 of USA as opposed to nothing Canada related but we know why that is).
BuFfaLOFaN and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 1, 2022 at 4:59 p.m.
Tom Fitzgerald is an idiot

Bratt's agent seems to be an idiot here as well, if all he's asking for heading into arbitration is $6.5m. That's a more than fair number and arb cases usually meet in the middle. Should've gone as insanely high as Fitz did low.
Aug. 1, 2022 at 5:02 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

I know someone else who could be Mr. Terrible Hockey Takes
EsoYeezus69, AndrewLadd and zk97 liked this.
Aug. 1, 2022 at 5:22 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Do not associate the man the myth the dman juking legend JT with Hamilton! Cause man Canes fans were right about him needing Slavin more so than we thought
Aug. 1, 2022 at 5:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Aug. 1, 2022 at 5:34 p.m.
He did just had his 5th best season in total points, which was his 13th year in the league. Not too shabby 🤷‍♂️

And only 3 years left. A move to the wing would be very beneficial for me, he was never fast but is starting to slow even more with the foot speed.

And in the final 3 games of the playoff series came alive with some sweet plays and goals

Plus the one thing people complained about him is what hes working on this offseason (skating speed). All that and then some

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2022/07/25/a-need-for-speed-drives-leafs-captain-john-tavares-in-summer-workouts.html

In general JT to me is fine at 11mill. Nobody expected a pandemic and by this year Cap should have been what 95mill or something so it is what it is.

Got a feeling hes gonna have a 35 goal 90 point season as to me hes due for one and with Jarnkrok as his LW and someone on the RW (depends on what happens with Kerfoot) then we could be in for a fun 2nd line (personal prediction Jarnkrok-Tavares-Rodrigues (2.1mill x 1 year)
Aug. 1, 2022 at 5:30 p.m.
retired

if tavares goes to wing who plays 2c? marner? jarnkrok? i assume kerfoot is as good as gone.
Aug. 1, 2022 at 5:32 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Do not associate the man the myth the dman juking legend JT with Hamilton! Cause man Canes fans were right about him needing Slavin more so than we thought

JT needed Okposo more than we thought.grimace

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll