SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #10 - Kadri oh Kadri, wherefore art thou Kadri?

Aug. 4, 2022 at 9:33 p.m.
Canes fan
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Kadri?

I would include him but at this point we could see an Islanders deal announced any second now with him. Seems like it should be announced soon, but Lou likes to keep things unpredictable.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 9:48 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

BuFfaLOFaN, zk97, Zinger and 2 others liked this.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 9:49 p.m.
Quoting: Devil

Ok
Aug. 4, 2022 at 9:50 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Ok

Ok
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 9:51 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

Don't get why Carolina is in the negatives
zk97, Zinger, BuFfaLOFaN and 2 others liked this.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 9:52 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM

bit too much but its a one year deal so i dont think you can complain that much
but now where does money for mcleod come from? devils are right up against the cap with 21 players (12F 7D 2G) or 22 if bernier comes back
Aug. 4, 2022 at 9:57 p.m.
Quoting: Zuki9797
but now where does money for mcleod come from? devils are right up against the cap with 21 players (12F 7D 2G) or 22 if bernier comes back

Tatar buyout during their 48 hour window?
Aug. 4, 2022 at 10:02 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

Devils Mikey McLeod is already signed (but his contract might get terminated)
Oilers Ryan McLeod isn't signed
Aug. 4, 2022 at 10:04 p.m.

Also, the fact that detroit had the best offseason makes not much sense to me lol. Also if this is at all accurate the Sens have supposedly gained ~24 points on the Leafstears of joy

Carolina is negative because they lost TonyD, Nino, Trocheck, Ian Cole, and Max Domi... The other thing is the model doesn't factor in players getting better or worse. Light Tony Deangelo is not going to have that good of a season and Kotkaniemi and some of the young Canes forwards get promoted and probably will do better higher in the lineup.
PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188, Devil, Zinger and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 10:08 p.m.
Farewell

Also, the fact that detroit had the best offseason makes not much sense to me lol. Also if this is at all accurate the Sens have supposedly gained ~24 points on the Leafstears of joy

Carolina is negative because they lost TonyD, Nino, Trocheck, Ian Cole, and Max Domi... The other thing is the model doesn't factor in players getting better or worse. Light Tony Deangelo is not going to have that good of a season and Kotkaniemi and some of the young Canes forwards get promoted and probably will do better higher in the lineup.

Agreed. I wrote this earlier:

Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
Dom Luszczyszyn (I copied and pasted that, I'm not even going to attempt typing it) ranked how much every team improved (or didn't) over the offseason for The Athletic, and put the Wings first, followed by SEA at #2, WAS at #3, NJD at #4, and OTT at #5. There is no possible way you can get me to believe that those first 4 teams improved more than the Senators did.

Additionally, how did WAS improve that much? Signing Kuemper (which was essentially their only notable move) is an improvement over Samsonov/Vanecek, but is it more of an improvement than, say, Campbell over Smith/Koskinen? Even if yes, it really makes the Caps the 3rd-most improved team over the offseason?

I don't think Luszczyszyn (copied and pasted again) is an idiot, but I find his rankings (thinking of yesterday's about contract efficiency as well) to be a little strange.
Devil liked this.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 10:13 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Devils Mikey McLeod is already signed (but his contract might get terminated)
Oilers Ryan McLeod isn't signed

Oh hmm wonder what i thought i saw then lol
Aug. 4, 2022 at 10:14 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Oh hmm wonder what i thought i saw then lol

Might have just gotten confused with the brothers
zk97 liked this.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 10:15 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Aug. 4, 2022 at 11:54 p.m.

As I said before should have not qualified him and then signed him 2-2.5 mill x 1 year

3.2mill for what he does is a tad to much and the fact he didnt play much last year and is still healing from an injury is concerning.

Either way lets see what he does as if he can put up 20 goals and 20 assists its fine but if he doesnt not a great deal
Aug. 4, 2022 at 10:25 p.m.
Canes fan

Yeah it doesn't add up.

-We brought in Burns to play the top pair with Slavin and run the powerplay, basically taking over DeAngelo's responsibilities but with a better player for our system.
-We acquired Max Pacioretty who can play on either of the top 2 LW.
-Hurricanes also acquired Kase who will fit great on the 3rd line wing.
-Acquired Dylan Coghlan who can probably play the bottom pair with Bear if we ditch Gardiner.
-Acquired Lane Pederson who will be a solid young extra forward.
-Signed Dzingel to light the lamp in the bottom 6.
-Also signed MacEachern, Stromwall, Lagesson, and Sawchenko to add depth to the system and fill out the Wolves lineup.

While losing
-Tony DeAngelo who I won't miss much and I think Burns can easily replace him.
-Vincent Trocheck who will be replaced by Kotkaniemi who's on track to keep growing and improve well on the 2nd line this season.
-Brendan Smith who we can let go to have more playing time somewhere else and he clears up spots for youngsters to come up.
-Ian Cole who will be replaced by Dylan Coghlan or Jake Gardiner and I definitely wouldn't have signed him for 3 million anyways.
-Max Domi who can be replaced by Jack Drury who is expected to have a breakout rookie season.
-Steven Lorentz who is replaced by Lane Pederson.
-Eetu Makiniemi who is replaced by Zach Sawchenko.
-Nino Niederreiter whose spot can be taken by the great Max Pacioretty.
-Plus losing notable minor league players (Lyon, Smallman, Jacobs, Leivo, Poturalski, Warm, LaFontaine, Smith) who could use a new team and that are replaced by up and coming prospects.

So really we only got better and fixed our team where it needed to be patched up. Plus most of those swaps we had were upgrades.

Burns in for DeAngelo (Upgrade in my opinion)
Patches in for Nino (Major Upgrade)
Pederson in for Lorentz (Meh)
Drury up for Domi (Upgrade to get Drury playing time)
Kotkaniemi takes Trocheck's spot at center (Small downgrade but could get better)
Coghlan in for Cole (Should be an upgrade as Coghlan grows)
Kase cleans up the empty spots on the wing from some lineup shifts and KK to center

That's why I don't often rely on win value numbers like that.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 10:33 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: Zinger
Yeah it doesn't add up.

-We brought in Burns to play the top pair with Slavin and run the powerplay, basically taking over DeAngelo's responsibilities but with a better player for our system.
-Acquired Dylan Coghlan who can probably play the bottom pair with Bear if we ditch Gardiner.
-Also signed MacEachern, Stromwall, Lagesson, and Sawchenko to add depth to the system and fill out the Wolves lineup.

While losing
-Vincent Trocheck who will be replaced by Kotkaniemi who's on track to keep growing and improve well on the 2nd line this season.
-Brendan Smith who we can let go to have more playing time somewhere else and he clears up spots for youngsters to come up.
-Ian Cole who will be replaced by Dylan Coghlan or Jake Gardiner and I definitely wouldn't have signed him for 3 million anyways.
-Max Domi who can be replaced by Jack Drury who is expected to have a breakout rookie season.
-Plus losing notable minor league players (Lyon, Smallman, Jacobs, Leivo, Poturalski, Warm, LaFontaine, Smith) who could use a new team and that are replaced by up and coming prospects.

So really we only got better and fixed our team where it needed to be patched up. Plus most of those swaps we had were upgrades.

Kotkaniemi takes Trocheck's spot at center (Small downgrade but could get better)
Kase cleans up the empty spots on the wing from some lineup shifts and KK to center

Good summary. Like you said, they upgraded from DeAngelo to Burns and from Niederreiter to Pacioretty, got Coghlan to replace Cole, got a solid middle-6 forward in Kase, and signed Dzingel for depth. The only real downgrade here is from Trocheck to KK. The adds far outweigh the losses here (I actually have the Canes winning the President's Trophy). Don't see how this article makes sense.
Zinger and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 10:38 p.m.
Agreed. I wrote this earlier:

Quoting: Zinger
Yeah it doesn't add up.

While losing

The thing about Dom's rankings is they are based completely on facts. Lol. But seriously, they are completely based off the numbers his system shoots out, he doesn't twist them in any way. So I guess it's kind of cool to see, but also its impossible to factor in things like player growth and rookies who have never played in the NHL. Like the Sabres add Power, Samuelsson, Quinn, Peterka, Tuch and Krebs for a full season replacing Hayden, Murray, Caggiula(-.5), Bjork🤞, Hagg (-)and Butcher(-.3). Replaced Tokarski (-1 win) with Comrie (+1.4 wins) and Pysyk (-.4) with Lyubushkin (idk)...and somehow that's only +1. because there is no value on the rookies.
UpsideDownQue liked this.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 10:42 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain

BuFfaLOFaN, AndrewLadd, EsoYeezus69 and 4 others liked this.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 10:44 p.m.
Quoting: SevenLeg

Carolina? what a shocking turn of events...
PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188, EsoYeezus69, Devil and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 10:45 p.m.
Good summary. Like you said, they upgraded from DeAngelo to Burns and from Niederreiter to Pacioretty, got Coghlan to replace Cole, got a solid middle-6 forward in Kase, and signed Dzingel for depth. The only real downgrade here is from Trocheck to KK. The adds far outweigh the losses here (I actually have the Canes winning the President's Trophy). Don't see how this article makes sense.

Its not Trocheck to Kotkaniemi. Kotkaniemi was already on the team last year - while KK will probably be moved up the lineup to replace him, on a player-by-player comparison he doesnt offset Trocheck leaving at all. I think thats where youre missing a large downgrade
BuFfaLOFaN and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 10:48 p.m.
Farewell
Carolina? what a shocking turn of events...

tears of joy Exactly my thought when I first saw this

Seriously, someone tell Friedman that it's CGY

But if this is true, then the Flames just officially won the trade
EsoYeezus69, BuFfaLOFaN, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 10:49 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer

Must be a sign and trade with montreal
capsfan2121 and zk97 liked this.
What in tarnation
8 x 10,5 for Huberdeau

That's quite much since that contract kicks in when he's 30. He'll be worth that likely for half of the duration on that contract, if that.
zk97 liked this.
Speak of the Devil

FZXVaGmUEAA1cMu?format=jpg&name=small
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 10:50 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Must be a sign and trade with montreal

Hearing Josh Anderson for Johnathan Huberdeau + Noah Hanifin
AndrewLadd, capsfan2121 and zk97 liked this.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 10:51 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: UpsideDownQue
Its not Trocheck to Kotkaniemi. Kotkaniemi was already on the team last year - while KK will probably be moved up the lineup to replace him, on a player-by-player comparison he doesnt offset Trocheck leaving at all. I think thats where youre missing a large downgrade

I thought it was clear that I meant that KK is replacing him as the 2nd line C, not that they brought in KK to replace Trocheck. It's an argument over semantics-if you want to tell me that since KK was on the team already, he's not "replacing" Trocheck-fine then, Drury will replace KK, who in turn will replace Trocheck.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll