SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #10 - Kadri oh Kadri, wherefore art thou Kadri?

Aug. 7, 2022 at 1:25 p.m.
NoMoreJustin
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Today is my father’s birthday, so happy birthday to him. Except from that I don’t think there’s nothing else important about today…

As you get old there’s not a whole lot to look forward to with birthdays. You’re just lucky to be breathing
Aug. 7, 2022 at 1:47 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Today is my father’s birthday, so happy birthday to him. Except from that I don’t think there’s nothing else important about today…

Eso is Crosbys son confirmed
zk97, A_Habs_fan, EsoYeezus69 and 6 others liked this.
Aug. 7, 2022 at 2:23 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
appleton 3 x 2,166,667... bit of an overpay
Aug. 7, 2022 at 2:36 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Zuki9797
appleton 3 x 2,166,667... bit of an overpay

I had Appleton at 1.1 x 2 years as I was like K Pitlick has a better season so Appleton has no grounds to ask for more

Well Jets thought otherwise I guess
zk97 liked this.
Aug. 7, 2022 at 2:51 p.m.
Farewell
Reports are that Kadri's asking price has not gone down. What is his asking price, you may be wondering? Well, according to those reports, the first digit of the asking price is a "9."

$9 MILLION AAV FOR A SOON-TO-BE-32-YEAR-OLD who has scored more than 61 points in a season ONCE?!

I don't know if I've ever seen a player overvalue himself more. Any team that gives that much to Kadri is INSANE. (Looking at you Lamoriello)
Saskleaf and zk97 liked this.
Aug. 7, 2022 at 2:56 p.m.
retired
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
Reports are that Kadri's asking price has not gone down. What is his asking price, you may be wondering? Well, according to those reports, the first digit of the asking price is a "9."

$9 MILLION AAV FOR A SOON-TO-BE-32-YEAR-OLD who has scored more than 61 points in a season ONCE?!

I don't know if I've ever seen a player overvalue himself more. Any team that gives that much to Kadri is INSANE. (Looking at you Lamoriello)

at what term? i know $9m is too much but if it's a one year contract it's not that bad.
Aug. 7, 2022 at 2:58 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: DirtyDangle
at what term? i know $9m is too much but if it's a one year contract it's not that bad.

Have to disagree with you there-even if it's a one year contract it's still awful, Kadri's not worth $9 million regardless of the term, but agreed that it's not as bad.

But that seems moot anyways, as the reports indicated he's looking for a long-term deal (because even if he did sign a one year deal and repeated last year's performance, he still probably won't get more next offseason, as at that point he'd be 33)
Aug. 7, 2022 at 2:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Aug. 7, 2022 at 3:13 p.m.

Only 1 team can give him that without clearing cap or needing to sacrifice a spot only issue is why would they ruin their rebuild to do that

Honestly 7mill x 1 year (Hall or Klingberg style) and then try again next year for a bigger deal
Aug. 7, 2022 at 3:20 p.m.
retired
Have to disagree with you there-even if it's a one year contract it's still awful, Kadri's not worth $9 million regardless of the term, but agreed that it's not as bad.

But that seems moot anyways, as the reports indicated he's looking for a long-term deal (because even if he did sign a one year deal and repeated last year's performance, he still probably won't get more next offseason, as at that point he'd be 33)

if he can put up near ppg it's not a bad contract. in the end what you're paying for is him to leave at the end of the year.

not sure there is a long term deal out there for him.
Aug. 7, 2022 at 3:44 p.m.

9mil’s a lot but I’d easily give Kadri 8, you know he’s going to get term most likely too, that’s simply what happens with good players, they get more term than they should because GM’s value prime years at a good AAV a lot more than the tail end of the contract
Aug. 7, 2022 at 3:46 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
9mil’s a lot but I’d easily give Kadri 8, you know he’s going to get term most likely too, that’s simply what happens with good players, they get more term than they should because GM’s value prime years at a good AAV a lot more than the tail end of the contract

Agreed, but that's the point-Kadri's prime years are behind him, it's so rare for a player to have a career year at 31 that I'd be wary of giving him any more than $6 million on a long-term deal. I'll be stunned if he ever puts up that kind of season again over the rest of his career.
Aug. 7, 2022 at 7:16 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: palhal
I don't think so. What the NHL is trying to avoid is teams cheating on salary cap, by having teams pay heavily in front loaded contracts then having the player retire before the contract has expired.
The NHL did change the signings rules and the "front load" salary has been reduced, but not eliminated, which still means there are so some front load penalities potentially.

I’m still pretty sure it’s only for deals more than 8 years long that you get penalized. The thing with front loading contracts is you can’t buy them out.
Aug. 7, 2022 at 9:29 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

Growing up: Sean Avery
Current: Kaapo Kakko
Juiceman, Saskleaf, oilersguy and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 7, 2022 at 9:39 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: Devil

tears of joy tears of joy tears of joy tears of joy tears of joy tears of joy tears of joy
Saskleaf, Devil, zk97 and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 7, 2022 at 9:41 p.m.
Jamie Benn is BACK

Growing Up: Paul Kariya (I was a kid when the Mighty Ducks movies came out).
Current: Esa Lindell & Tyler Seguin
Aug. 7, 2022 at 9:41 p.m.
Farewell
My favorite player was (and to an extent still is) Stammer, my favorite player now is Pointer. Such an elite beast, especially in the playoffs. Honorable mentions to Vasilevskiy, Hedman, and Marty St. Louis.
Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:02 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
my favorite player was holtby. my favorite player now is daniel sprong/ connor brown/ kuemper/orlov

the ogs are ovi
Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:23 p.m.
I bet everyone knows who my favourite player growing up was, HM to Pronger. Favourite active player is Stamkos, HM to Stone.
Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:26 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: kdawg32086
Growing Up: Paul Kariya (I was a kid when the Mighty Ducks movies came out).
Current: Esa Lindell & Tyler Seguin

Growing up: Brodeur
Non-Devil: Crosby
Current: Hughes
Non-Devil: Zegras
Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:26 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: Alfie11
I bet everyone knows who my favourite player growing up was, HM to Pronger. Favourite active player is Stamkos, HM to Stone.

Michael Stone
Alfie11 and capsfan2121 liked this.
Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:28 p.m.
Michael Stone

Elite right shot defenseman Michael Stone solos every Stanley Cup Champion for the last decade
Aug. 8, 2022 at 12:08 a.m.
Kadri really painted himself into a corner by holding out. Certainly, Lou knows that Kadri has lost almost all leverage in negotiations. The Avs could still sign him short term, but they'd probably need to trade Girard to make it happen. They'll eventually need the cap space from Erik Johnson to pay MacKinnon and Byram. Kadri going back to the Avs seems like a long shot right now. I think the Isles eventually sign him for 4-5 years at around $7.5M. Just b/c he. wants $9M doesn't mean he'll get it. I think he and his agent handled free agency poorly. He should've signed a contract while there were 6+ teams that had the cap space.
Saskleaf, zk97 and yikes liked this.
Aug. 8, 2022 at 8:38 a.m.
Growing up: Joe Sakic/Peter Forsberg (no way to split hairs)
Current: Gabe Landeskog
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 8, 2022 at 9:32 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

1 year 2.5 AAV
SevenLeg, HockeyScotty, EsoYeezus69 and 6 others liked this.
Aug. 8, 2022 at 9:36 a.m.

Quoting: aadoyle
Only 1 team can give him that without clearing cap or needing to sacrifice a spot only issue is why would they ruin their rebuild to do that

Honestly 7mill x 1 year (Hall or Klingberg style) and then try again next year for a bigger deal

if he can put up near ppg it's not a bad contract. in the end what you're paying for is him to leave at the end of the year.

not sure there is a long term deal out there for him.

Quoting: A_Habs_fan

I've wondered if Carolina was a spot that Kadri was targeting but then the Pacioretty and Burns deals happened to suck up all of their available cap space.

Now there are only cap minimum or tanking teams that can afford him; with only Anaheim or Detroit having any kind of pulse but no real playoff aspirations this year. It doesn't matter if its $7 million or $9 million at this point.

People cannot underestimate the lack of money in the market right now.

It is so lazy to say: teams just need to move a contract out to make room for Kadri.

Who? Where are they moving? Who can take on a $5 million contract without draining their future assets too much (if they even have it).

Carolina can still move out Gardiner and Bear to create $6 million in space (via trade if they are lucky) but with Necas RFA that would still only leave them with just under $5 million available.

Winnipeg is a place that I see as a darkhorse for Kadri if they move out either Scheifele or Dubois in the off season. Of course the more talent that leaves there makes them less viable as a playoff contender. But who can take on either Scheifele or Dubois? Is Winnipeg a "contender" that would even entice Kadri if they had the space?

Colorado can only reasonably create $5.5 million if they move Compher; I don't see how they move Girard unless there is a solid defensemen coming back since they have no depth at the NHL level or ready for the NHL and Sakic/MacFarland know they need depth there for a playoff run (consider EJ and Byram's injury history).

Washington has many IR/LTIR issues and a little bit of cap space; so they could be a possibility for Kadri depending upon the long-term health of Backstrom, Hagelin, and Wilson. They also have a big need for a #2 Center.

I don't see how NY Islanders can be serious with Kadri unless they somehow got Dobson and Romanov to take really cheap deals and even then they still need to find a home for a $4-5 million contract.

Calgary has nowhere near the cap space unless they used their 2nd buyout window on Sean Monahan (would be announced today) and were able to get Milan Lucic to waive his NTC to go somewhere in a cap dump (also possible for Monahan if they don't exercise the buyout). Needless to say Calgary would have to move out both contracts; which will costs assets to do so.

Minnesota could make room if they were able to move Matt Dumba's contract now. If they were willing to do that to acquire a top 6 center they might as well just trade with Vancouver for JT Miller who is younger and cheaper since next year they have major RFA contracts coming due and still have the big buyouts on their books.

Boston barely has $2 million in cap space (possibly less if Zacha's RFA deal looks like Wood/Appleton) and that is before Bergeron/Krejci possibly return. Even if they don't the Bruins need to move out big contracts (buying out Foligno only creates $1.9 million). You cannot use "LTIR" money forever if those guys return during the season; otherwise someone has to go. Craig Smith and Mike Reilly are the only moveable contracts (as in no NTC/NMC) at $3 million each that you might find markets for but that's a big gamble to find out in December/January and Boston has few "sweetener" type assets.

Ottawa could be an option if he believes in their rebuild and they can move out Zaitsev. Who knows what will happen with Batherson/Formenton, or when anything will get resolved there; so it's not clear if they "need" more offensive help or not. They certainly need defensive help, especially on the right side so their cap space could be better used elsewhere. Calling them a contender is also a bit of a stretch at this point as well; but they do have a brighter future than other teams over the next few years.

With all of the dominoes that need to happen for Kadri to both "Cash in" and play for a legit Cup contender; I don't see it happening; so I think he takes a short term; high AAV deal with Detroit (close to his home) and they possibly move him at the deadline. That's the "easy solution". They can retain if they need to in order to maximize the return
Tintin and Brian2016 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll