SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2022 WJC Discussion Thread

Aug. 12, 2022 at 2:05 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: Db1899
Edvindsson, Chiarot, Seider huff

Chiarot 😤😤😤
Db1899, zk97 and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 12, 2022 at 2:06 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: Db1899
Edvindsson, Chiarot, Seider huff

This is like one of those "which one of the following does not belong in this group" questions tears of joy
Db1899, justaBoss, capsfan2121 and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 12, 2022 at 2:19 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
This is like one of those "which one of the following does not belong in this group" questions tears of joy

Yeah. Seider is a bum
zk97, capsfan2121, BuFfaLOFaN and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 12, 2022 at 4:25 p.m.
Farewell
Sweden unsurprisingly clobbers Austria 6-0. Emil Andrae scored twice, Swedes outshot the Austrians 41-14.

3 teams have won their first 2 games in regulation so far: USA, Canada, Sweden. (Finland has also won their first 2 games, but 1 came via the shootout.)
zk97 liked this.
Aug. 12, 2022 at 4:56 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
Not to sound like a jerk, but it's Owen Power, there's no "s" at the end of his last name

No welcome correction. I’ve always called Power - Powers for some reason idk why, something stuck in my verbatim.
Aug. 13, 2022 at 6:31 p.m.
Edited Aug. 13, 2022 at 7:53 p.m.
Minutes on the power play: 5
Tape to tape passes: 0
Fanned shots/passes: at least 6
Times the line was held successfully: 0
Goal differential: -1

what the actual f*ck was that. My PeeWee team had a better power play than that
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 13, 2022 at 7:40 p.m.
NoMoreJustin
I now realize I was mixing up Zellweger with Sebrango at times in that first game. Zellweger really does have work to do with handling the puck
EsoYeezus69 and KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Aug. 13, 2022 at 8:46 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: Alfie11
Minutes on the power play: 5
Tape to tape passes: 0
Fanned shots/passes: at least 6
Times the line was held successfully: 0
Goal differential: -1

what the actual f*ck was that. My PeeWee team had a better power play than that

Who was PP1 QB during that power play? Was it Zellweger?
Aug. 13, 2022 at 8:50 p.m.
NoMoreJustin
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Who was PP1 QB during that power play? Was it Zellweger?

He and Cormier have been seeing most of the PP time
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 13, 2022 at 8:52 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: LloydminsterLarry
He and Cormier have been seeing most of the PP time

Yeah, and it should only be Cormier getting it, he’s better than Zellweger and by far a better PP QB.

Granted I’m bias since I know Cormier, but he’s better than Zellweger even without my bias.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Aug. 13, 2022 at 8:56 p.m.
WentWughes
Yeah, and it should only be Cormier getting it, he’s better than Zellweger and by far a better PP QB.

Granted I’m bias since I know Cormier, but he’s better than Zellweger even without my bias.

Cormier is our best defender for sure. The true test is against Finland. I have no doubt we can score, but our goalies are shaky and our defenders don't know what defense is. If we can somehow beat Finland, then Gold might be a chance, but I think there's better odds that we don't even medal.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 13, 2022 at 8:58 p.m.

Both (and Seeley) were terrible on the points that whole power play lol. None of them could keep the puck in, make a pass that wasn’t 3 feet behind their target, or shoot and actually get it on net. It was truly atrocious. Painful to watch. I honestly didn’t like much of what any of the defensemen did all game. Our top 3 forward lines all looked great tonight though.
LloydminsterLarry liked this.
Aug. 13, 2022 at 9:00 p.m.
NoMoreJustin

I definitely like his PP play better. As an occasional gambler I’m still betting Zellweger is the better defenceman by the time they’re established NHLers although I don’t think either of them will be anchors of Canada’s blueline for years to come
Aug. 13, 2022 at 9:02 p.m.
NoMoreJustin
Both (and Seeley) were terrible on the points that whole power play lol. None of them could keep the puck in, make a pass that wasn’t 3 feet behind their target, or shoot and actually get it on net. It was truly atrocious. Painful to watch. I honestly didn’t like much of what any of the defensemen did all game. Our top 3 forward lines all looked great tonight though.

The forwards got all the attention heading into this world Juniors but I honestly wasn’t thrilled with the defence.
Alfie11 and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 13, 2022 at 9:10 p.m.
Quoting: LloydminsterLarry
The forwards got all the attention heading into this world Juniors but I honestly wasn’t thrilled with the defence.

It’s kinda funny that 7 of our 10 best forwards aren’t here and everyone in our top 9 still looks great (now that Roy is on the 3rd line, I like where everyone is positioned honestly, the only slightly weak link would be Foerster at 2RW, but he did have a good game today). Losing Power and Guhle on the backend was a MAJOR loss though. I’m really not sure why guys like Seeley and Sebrango are on the team. Lambos hasn’t looked good. The only thing I can say about Del Mastro is I heard his name exactly once. O’Rourke is okay on the 3rd pair I guess. Cormier and Thompson are hard carrying anything that happens from the blueline right now, Zellweger shows flashes of brilliance but he needs to get his act together and finish the plays. He keeps baubling the puck and making poor passes, which isn’t like him, if he can start hitting tape to tape passes again he’ll be fine. But that would still only give us 3 solid defensemen, and none of them are a #1. And only Thompson is useful in his own end.
Aug. 13, 2022 at 9:25 p.m.
NoMoreJustin
It’s kinda funny that 7 of our 10 best forwards aren’t here and everyone in our top 9 still looks great (now that Roy is on the 3rd line, I like where everyone is positioned honestly, the only slightly weak link would be Foerster at 2RW, but he did have a good game today). Losing Power and Guhle on the backend was a MAJOR loss though. I’m really not sure why guys like Seeley and Sebrango are on the team. Lambos hasn’t looked good. The only thing I can say about Del Mastro is I heard his name exactly once. O’Rourke is okay on the 3rd pair I guess. Cormier and Thompson are hard carrying anything that happens from the blueline right now, Zellweger shows flashes of brilliance but he needs to get his act together and finish the plays. He keeps baubling the puck and making poor passes, which isn’t like him, if he can start hitting tape to tape passes again he’ll be fine. But that would still only give us 3 solid defensemen, and none of them are a #1. And only Thompson is useful in his own end.

I didn’t like having Thompson as our only RHD. That’s just not a good move from an organization standpoint. The flashes of brilliance are what have me still hopeful for Zellweger. Cormier is further along but I like Olen’s ceiling more. Sebrango really has been a better piece than I expected. There were plays he was making on defence that I mistakenly though were Zellweger. He’s no long term Canada blueliner but I have more positive feedback for him than for Seeley or O’Rourke. Lambos has been a major disappointment. He’s the Forester of the blueline
Alfie11 liked this.
Aug. 13, 2022 at 9:34 p.m.
Farewell
Beautiful game for the USA-terrific games from everybody, 7 players had multipoint games, and the shots were 56-15 in favor of the USA. Obviously, it's Austria, but when you play bad teams, you have to clobber them, and the USA did exactly that. Next up: the toughest prelim game, tomorrow night against Sweden.
Aug. 13, 2022 at 10:23 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
Funny how everyone feels about Del Mastro, I thought he looked pretty good in his limited ice time, he's a good PKer and he moves the puck well
Aug. 14, 2022 at 12:02 a.m.
Quoting: Remus
Funny how everyone feels about Del Mastro, I thought he looked pretty good in his limited ice time, he's a good PKer and he moves the puck well

My opinion on Del Mastro is that I didn’t notice him enough to form an opinion. He’s pencilled in on the 2nd pair (although getting 3rd pair ice time), but I still don’t think he should be anywhere near the team, even if he’s not actively bad like some of the others. Clarke and Ceulemans were left off this team, and honestly the lack of right shots is both noticeable and negatively affecting the ability to make cross-ice passes and transition back up the ice. A leftie on the right side receiving a pass on his forehand is facing the wrong way, and this happened so many times in this game. You can maybe get away with one talented leftie on the offside, but only having your 3RD be a true right shot just isn’t working, and I bet Finland exposes this hole, especially if Canada starts slow again. Power-Clarke / Guhle-Cormier / O’Rourke-Thompson / (Zellweger or Ceulemans) woulda been the best D in the tournament. There’s really no excuse to not have Zellweger-Clarke / Cormier-Thompson / O’Rourke-Ceulemans / whoever even now.
Remus liked this.
Aug. 14, 2022 at 9:34 p.m.
Farewell
With the loss to Latvia, Slovakia becomes the first team officially knocked out of the '22 WJC. The loser of Switzerland-Austria will be knocked out tomorrow.
zk97 liked this.
Aug. 14, 2022 at 10:36 p.m.
Farewell
Nice jam play at the front of the net by Berard for the PP goal. 1-0 USA.
Aug. 15, 2022 at 2:52 a.m.

NOW THIS IS WHAT WE LIKE TO SEE
Aug. 15, 2022 at 8:41 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith

NOW THIS IS WHAT WE LIKE TO SEE

Told yah he’ll replace Gaudreau/ Tkachuk 😉
Aug. 15, 2022 at 9:02 a.m.
Quoting: yikes
Told yah he’ll replace Gaudreau/ Tkachuk 😉

When he was drafted I was hoping he’d be the first right-shot sniper Gaudreau ever got to play with lol
BuFfaLOFaN and yikes liked this.
Aug. 15, 2022 at 9:49 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
When he was drafted I was hoping he’d be the first right-shot sniper Gaudreau ever got to play with lol

At least he’ll get to play with Huberdeau as a consolation prize.

Coronato is going to be so fun to watch in these next few years.

Adding on top of that; the US is looking scary good. Worried for Canada - idk it’s coming down to again the US look like a group with some chemistry. Canadas game against Finland is going to be an important test tonight.
Alfie11 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll