SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

New Jersey Devils signed Jesper Bratt (1 Year / $5,450,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 3, 2022 at 2:11 p.m.
So it looks like NJ gets a good deal for 1 year...but I would bet on Bratt continuing to put up ppg type numbers- with all that youth up front- theyre only going to get better as a group- and he should benefit- which is going to cost NJ even more.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 2:51 p.m.
Quoting: rollie1967
So it looks like NJ gets a good deal for 1 year...but I would bet on Bratt continuing to put up ppg type numbers- with all that youth up front- theyre only going to get better as a group- and he should benefit- which is going to cost NJ even more.

Unless they sign a LT extension soon.

They are running out of cap space this year but are flush starting next year
Tintin liked this.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 3:24 p.m.
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Unless they sign a LT extension soon.

They are running out of cap space this year but are flush starting next year

Bernier will go on LTIR, freeing up another $4mil this year, with only 2 players RFAS to sign and basically minimum deals.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 6:35 p.m.
Quoting: Devil
JBITBPITNHL

NHDIN
Aug. 3, 2022 at 7:35 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
The contract itself is fine.

But we are going to regret not offering him a long-term deal ($6.5 million to $7.25 million).
This does allow him to prove up his ability.
But will also make him more expensive next year to lock up long-term ($7.25 million to $8 million)
And, based on track record of recent Arb filers, about half stay with team after 2-years.

Why do people like those contracts? You end up with the Gaudreau's situation 28-29 player wanting a big second contract and is a UFA.

Bratt will still be an RFA next year (25) and if he plays well again this year the Devils can give him an 8 year contract. You pay more but are paying on experience not on potential.

I think Point would be a good comparable.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 7:45 p.m.
Quoting: rollie1967

Yes if Bratt plays well again pay him what he has earned.

The core of the team is locked down till 2027 (Hischier, Hughes, Hamilton, Palat, Marino, Sieg) add Bratt if they resign him next year. Now it just down to Fitzgerald to find depth pieces/ draft to fill out the lineup and a goalie if Vaneck or Blackwood doesn't work out.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 8:03 p.m.
The contract itself is fine.

But we are going to regret not offering him a long-term deal ($6.5 million to $7.25 million).
This does allow him to prove up his ability.
But will also make him more expensive next year to lock up long-term ($7.25 million to $8 million)
And, based on track record of recent Arb filers, about half stay with team after 2-years.

This is how Sens fans felt when they gave Mark Stone a 1 year deal vs a long term extension. Just a massive organizational failure. Now brace for the dread of a) trading a core part of the team or b) extending him long term for several million more than it would've been this summer.
rollie1967 and NHLfan10506 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2022 at 9:10 p.m.
Quoting: Jded
NHDIN

No, Have Done It Nude
Now He Deems I’m Neat
Never Have Devils Invested Nimbly

I’m lost
Aug. 3, 2022 at 9:21 p.m.
MajorMoose
NJ messed up not locking him up long term
Aug. 3, 2022 at 9:36 p.m.
No, Have Done It Nude
Now He Deems I’m Neat
Never Have Devils Invested Nimbly

I’m lost

Lol. Original post by Devil was:

JBITBPITNHL

I interpreted that as Jesper Bratt is the best player in the NHL.

My reply was NHDIN = No he definitely is not.

Just a couple jabronies messing around
Aug. 4, 2022 at 4:48 p.m.
Banned
Fitz and co. must have been thinking to themselves "why does the player's camp have to be so...Bratty?"
Aug. 4, 2022 at 6:19 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: Jded
NHDIN

FZPxk-WWYAEr8sB?format=jpg&name=large

Alex Holtz disagrees
NHLfan10506 and Jded liked this.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 6:51 p.m.
Quoting: Devil
FZPxk-WWYAEr8sB?format=jpg&name=large

Alex Holtz disagrees

AHWBTBRITNHL
Aug. 4, 2022 at 9:12 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
definetely a gamble on the devils part not to secure him long term in the 5-6 mil range. if he regresses you're only looking at saving yourself 500k, if he repeats his previous season than that's gonna be 8 million and over.

It’s a gamble either way. If they signed him long term, which would likely require a much higher AAV, they’d be betting that he continues to play as well as he did this past season for many years to come. If they’re not sure that’s a good bet, I think it’s better to go short than long, because having a bad player on a long contract is a much bigger problem than having a good player on a short contract. I don’t know him well enough to know which way I’d go.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 8:34 a.m.
Watches no games
Bratt is probably NJs best player and it’s integral for their future as contenders to get him done long-term. And the worst part is I don’t think the Devils organization believes any of this.

If I’m a team moving out of competition with a forward in their prime (wpg with Ehlers, Boston with Pasta, even SJ with Meier etc) I’m doing whatever I can to flip them for Bratt, and the weirdest part is that those teams probably get an additional asset in return.

Now that I think of it, Bratt is exactly the type of player Colorado or Tampa could trade one of their more veteran scorers for. NJ believes they get the cup pedigree necessary to win, and the perennial contenders keeps contending…
Tintin liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 10:58 a.m.
AHWBTBRITNHL

MMHSTSAT

Aug. 5, 2022 at 11:25 a.m.
Quoting: MelonVK
Bratt is probably NJs best player and it’s integral for their future as contenders to get him done long-term. And the worst part is I don’t think the Devils organization believes any of this.

If I’m a team moving out of competition with a forward in their prime (wpg with Ehlers, Boston with Pasta, even SJ with Meier etc) I’m doing whatever I can to flip them for Bratt, and the weirdest part is that those teams probably get an additional asset in return.

Now that I think of it, Bratt is exactly the type of player Colorado or Tampa could trade one of their more veteran scorers for. NJ believes they get the cup pedigree necessary to win, and the perennial contenders keeps contending…

Bratt is a very good player, but he is not NJ's best player. Not even their best offensive player. Hughes is.

If Devils were trading Bratt for Ehlers, Pasta or Meier...NJ would not add. (They'd probably just extend Bratt). Bratt is likely better than Ehlers, is definitely better than Meier and Pasta has 1-year to UFA.

Now, if Rantanen or Kucherov were on the table, as you were suggesting, that may be different story.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 2:20 p.m.
Watches no games
Bratt is a very good player, but he is not NJ's best player. Not even their best offensive player. Hughes is.

If Devils were trading Bratt for Ehlers, Pasta or Meier...NJ would not add. (They'd probably just extend Bratt). Bratt is likely better than Ehlers, is definitely better than Meier and Pasta has 1-year to UFA.

Now, if Rantanen or Kucherov were on the table, as you were suggesting, that may be different story.

I rate Bratt over Kuch and Rantnen. Hughes is good, but Bratt’s isolated numbers are dumb-good. Like McDavid 2-3 years ago good.
Tintin liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 5:41 p.m.
sen krak fan
AAV is too big, but the term is too short.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit