SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Calgary Flames signed Jonathan Huberdeau (8 Years / $10,500,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 4, 2022 at 11:08 p.m.
HonestHockeyNYI
A star player wanting to stay in Calgary? That's a shocker.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 11:11 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: toque
I tend to agree, although personally having seen the other offers I think Zito should have pushed hard to exclude Weegar from the trade and then trade him separately.

NGL I think Zito and Panthers brass are down on Weegar enough that it made sense to do this all in one, and since they don't have a lot of other assets to move apart from him it kind of makes sense from that perspective
toque liked this.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 11:12 p.m.
I really want to be able to say it's okay, I don't love it.

The more I look at it he's essentially a great replacement for Gaudreau. He's better than Gaudreau and is a similar player in some ways.

Where they got killed is the age difference between him and Tkachuk.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 11:14 p.m.
feelsbadman
I mean at least they can try to win a cup now?
Aug. 4, 2022 at 11:14 p.m.
Catch me in corners
I get that Calgary needed to sign him to make the trade worth it, though I would've much rather had Tkachuk here.

Love to see Huberdeau get his bag - getting paid to be the player he is now. If he can stay healthy + produce till the end, this isn't a bad signing!
OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 11:15 p.m.
Quoting: TartarSauce90
For everyone saying it's an overpay, with this inflation that contract will be a discount.

If he keeps it up. He's worth that easily now. But he'll be in his late 30s by the end. Check out Jamie Benn for another stud winger who signed a similar deal at a similar age.
OldNYIfan, rollie1967, RawDeal and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 11:15 p.m.
Quoting: VijayPatel11
Yup, exactly what Zito did NOT want to do. It was tough to let him go, but when it's either this or letting him walk in FA, you just have to trade him.

Good luck with that contract Flames fans, I hope it ages well.

They chose one of barkov and huberdeau to resign. Hard to argue with their decisions and how it went down from a predictions perspective. Let's see if the gamble was the right one over the next number of years.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 11:17 p.m.
Quoting: Sparkyboi_GoCanes
Is it an overpay right now? no. Is it an overpay in the last 3 years? sure. But the cap should sky rocket by then and it shouldn't matter. Plus I can see Hubby still be producing at a good level when he's 36-38. Yes there's some risk to this but it's a good deal

I'd say the big risk is him not staying high end in years say 3-5. It's more or less accepted that it will be ****ty by the end.
RawDeal liked this.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 11:19 p.m.
Go leafs go
Don’t understand why people don’t like this deal.

Ya sure, by the end of this contract it won’t look good. So what? The flames made this trade to get a star back for some stars that wanted out. They got that star locked up long term. It was either they sign this deal or rebuild. They chose the right move and signed the deal.
HockeyScotty, SoooPitted, vmark and 4 others liked this.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 11:23 p.m.
Its definitely a lot of money. Probably more term/cap than he should have got but they had to do this. They had to get a win here badly and if it means overpaying the face of the new franchise to do it, that's what you got to do.

Its easy to say I wouldn't have made this offer but losing him for nothing or trading him at the TDL for a late 1st rounder and a good prospect wouldn't have been a much better look either.

They needed a win here to stop the bleeding.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 11:26 p.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
Don’t understand why people don’t like this deal.

Ya sure, by the end of this contract it won’t look good. So what? The flames made this trade to get a star back for some stars that wanted out. They got that star locked up long term. It was either they sign this deal or rebuild. They chose the right move and signed the deal.

The deal starts in a year. They're paying a 30 year old 10.5 million for 8 years. There is a lot of risk here that he sucks hard for the majority of this contract. I said yes in the end because they had to do it, and he is ****ing awesome. But the risk here is significant.
Saskleaf and Sportnilsson liked this.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 11:39 p.m.
Nah.
Quoting: Florida_Man_Maroon
Good for now but 10.5 in his late 30s might hurt

*will
rollie1967 liked this.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 11:39 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: BCAPP
The deal starts in a year. They're paying a 30 year old 10.5 million for 8 years. There is a lot of risk here that he sucks hard for the majority of this contract. I said yes in the end because they had to do it, and he is ****ing awesome. But the risk here is significant.

Oh absolutely, but players of Huberdeaus calibre are the exact type of players you want to take a risk on, especially considering the context of this deal.
BCAPP liked this.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 11:45 p.m.
Guide Record Book
Huby's prime years are gone, Flames are paying for reputation and past production. If he doesn't continue his 100 pt/season for the upcoming season the fans aren't going to be happy with that kind of contract. It'll be good for 3-4 years and then mediocre to bad for the rest. There's ebbs and flows to the contract so I won't say where the contract will look good. Could be in year 2 or 3, but by the end of the contract it'll look horrible and project to be LTIR bound.
rollie1967 liked this.
Aug. 4, 2022 at 11:55 p.m.
Quoting: AndrewLadd
I was told he wanted to play in the bright lights of Montreal

He will. Every team plays in MTL.
drambui liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 12:02 a.m.
Quoting: BCAPP
If he keeps it up. He's worth that easily now. But he'll be in his late 30s by the end. Check out Jamie Benn for another stud winger who signed a similar deal at a similar age.

Jamie Benn and Phil Kessel (Toronto) are close comps as it relates to % of Cap Hit but both were younger. Benn's playing playing style certainly is/was different and should have been a red flag.

I do think Calgary needed to sign him to make a statement. If they had signed Gaudreau to that contract however they would have been forced to buyout or dump Monahan (I wonder how much that affected Johnny's decision) and/or Lucic. The fact this doesn't kick in til next year is mich easier on their cap timing.
Faulk_my_Dzingel liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 12:02 a.m.
Smythe.over.Hart
With the typical decline of wingers at age 31-32 I can’t see how this is anything but a loss for Calgary. I mean good for Huberdeau for finally cashing in after being underpaid for years. But this is rough. This will be part of many “worst contract” acgms in a few years. Move over Vlasic. We have a new front runner.
rollie1967, RawDeal, Joe_La_Garnotte and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 12:03 a.m.
Quoting: ThirdPeriodCringe
Huby's prime years are gone, Flames are paying for reputation and past production. If he doesn't continue his 100 pt/season for the upcoming season the fans aren't going to be happy with that kind of contract. It'll be good for 3-4 years and then mediocre to bad for the rest. There's ebbs and flows to the contract so I won't say where the contract will look good. Could be in year 2 or 3, but by the end of the contract it'll look horrible and project to be LTIR bound.

Last year was soo long ago right?
Aug. 5, 2022 at 12:08 a.m.
Calgary needed something like this to have any chance at retaining Lindholm and Hanifin in 2 years.

With cap increases and the Flames freeing up a boatload of cash over the next few seasons they can make a serious effort at extending their window beyond 2 years.

What if Barzal won't re-sign in Long Island next off season? They could be a rare team with cap space and a contending roster.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 12:12 a.m.
Guide Record Book
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Last year was soon long ago right?

I was talking about his body of work over the last 4-5 years.. It'd be silly to call last (single) year as 'prime years'.

He's ranked 4th in points production over a 4 year span.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 12:16 a.m.
Huber - dough
Prime_Jimbo and Rolfadinho liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 12:20 a.m.
Leafs suck
It’s fine oh my god everyone stop. The fact he even resigned is a plus, what else were they gonna get him for. Every contract gets worse near the end, u make that deal so u keep the player in their good years to trade for some bad years later when the flames are likely out of contention anyway. It convinces Weegar to resign as well. Yes, the contract is not ideal value and term wise, (still decent and likely what he would’ve gotten on the open market anyway), but in the grand scheme of things, it’s good for Calgary
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 12:25 a.m.
VAN
Quoting: worldwidesensei
Huber - dough

New bread man in town. Mangiapane just the yeast.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 12:31 a.m.
Guide Record Book
Quoting: mauston_atthews
It’s fine oh my god everyone stop. The fact he even resigned is a plus, what else were they gonna get him for. Every contract gets worse near the end, u make that deal so u keep the player in their good years to trade for some bad years later when the flames are likely out of contention anyway. It convinces Weegar to resign as well. Yes, the contract is not ideal value and term wise, (still decent and likely what he would’ve gotten on the open market anyway), but in the grand scheme of things, it’s good for Calgary

Good from Huby's perspective that he signed cause he wouldn't be getting that contract going into the season and running a risk of getting injured. But at the same time how many 30 year old puts up 100 points/season has there been in the NHL? I still see him being productive but not at the levels he did the last 4 or 5 seasons ago.
rollie1967 and mauston_atthews liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 12:37 a.m.
1 more season before this kicks in...so Im predicting about 4-5 years of pain, where he might be worth half of what he makes- if that for the last 2.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit