SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Calgary Flames signed Jonathan Huberdeau (8 Years / $10,500,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 5, 2022 at 12:40 a.m.
Farewell
From Ethan Hetu of ProHockeyRumors.com-very well said:

"Will this deal look the best in 2028, 2029, or 2030? No, it probably won’t. Huberdeau is 29 and isn’t getting any younger. But the Flames had a strong regular season last year, and clearly want to win a Stanley Cup in the immediate future. This contract will take Huberdeau into his late thirties. With Gaudreau and Tkachuk now gone, they needed to acquire players like Huberdeau. Once they got one, they needed to find a way to hold on to him. Now they have.

In all fairness, there is the possibility that Huberdeau could regress. But on the flip side, he could age like his former teammate, Claude Giroux, who has scored well as he’s aged and recently earned a large, multi-year contract from the Ottawa Senators despite the fact that he’ll turn 35 in January.

Any way you slice it, this is a deal the Flames simply had to make. Some might quibble about the term, the cap hit, et cetera, and that’s fair. This is a lot of money to commit to a player for a long time. But NHL teams don’t have the luxury of getting picky with their 115-point players.

Paying a little bit too much for a little bit too long is simply the nature of shopping at the top of the market in the NHL. The reality is nearly every team would rather pay a star a bit too much than have nobody worth paying. This is a big win for Calgary and extremely welcome news for a Flames fanbase that just a few weeks ago felt completely hopeless."
-ProHockeyRumors.com
Saskleaf, vmark, A_Habs_fan and 2 others liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 1:24 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Prime_Jimbo
New bread man in town. Mangiapane just the yeast.

EAT your words
Aug. 5, 2022 at 2:19 a.m.
Quoting: ThirdPeriodCringe
I was talking about his body of work over the last 4-5 years.. It'd be silly to call last (single) year as 'prime years'.

He's ranked 4th in points production over a 4 year span.

I'd call it the exact definition of "prime"
Aug. 5, 2022 at 2:31 a.m.
Kansler
This is going to age badly. When he scores 85-88p this season and the contract then hits in.... gonna be some worried faces in Calgary.
And yes, they pretty much had to sign him, all the leverage was at Hubys end.
drambui liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 2:42 a.m.
Guide Record Book
Quoting: HockeyScotty
I'd call it the exact definition of "prime"

Right, 4-5 years ago would be in the past.. and his contract starts when he's 30.. not his prime anymore. He put up a career year in points last season and starting on a new team that's not built offensively like the Panthers. Repeating another 100 point season is very unlikely and by most models he's going to regress. The question that remains is how much will he regress.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 2:43 a.m.
IG vincemark78
They build around Huby now. Crazily, like this never happens, but they lost their top 2 Ws in one offseason. Luckily they got a Hart candidate for one of them. Huby > Tkachuk and he's close to Gaudreau, they're very similar players actually. Either way, if I'm CGY I'm pumped. He signed long term. Now they can figure out how to build the team around him. Lots of the pieces are there. The blue line needs tinkering. But this is a team that was really good last year, especially at ES. I don't see that changing, and I could also see them getting better through perhaps another trade on the back end.

Sutter is a good coach. Markstrom had a tremendous year. Can they compete with EDM, VGK, LAK in the playoffs? We'll see. That's where they need the biggest improvement. But most teams don't even get there. They may have lost a franchise icon this offseason but they added one of the best W in the entire league to become the next version of what they lost.

Overall who cares about his age. We'll see how he gets along playing with Lindholm and ____ (Mangiapane?). He's not an overly physical guy. He has amazing hockey sense, hands, and skating ability. We'll see if Monahan can come back or if he is washed. But this is the type of deal they needed. Anything less than him resigning would have been a loss. Now they got their guy. It'll be fascinating to see if FLA or CGY even comes close to winning a Cup in the next 8 years... talk about a wild ass potential Cup final haha.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 3:55 a.m.
Right now, this looks like a TERRIBLE contract. One niggling injury and he's overpaid for half a decade.

On the other hand, rumours have the salary cap issue cleared up in just two or three years, meaning there could be as high as a $10 million jump in the salary cap by the time that happens. If that's the case, then this deal will be okay for much longer.
RawDeal liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 3:58 a.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: toque
I tend to agree, although personally having seen the other offers I think Zito should have pushed hard to exclude Weegar from the trade and then trade him separately.

Weegar had to be included as the most logical piece to dump to clear cap who also had value.

Trading Weegar to a third team would not be efficient. Look at the trade market. They wouldn't get a huge return if they cannot take back cap.

Additionally, Calgary needed added value because a Huberdeau extension wasn't guaranteed. The dynamic of the trade was that Calgary was sending Florida a guy who knew he was going to get traded, and was going to re-sign with Florida. Florida was sending a guy to Calgary who was going to be blindsided after expecting to re-sign in Calgary.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 4:04 a.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Calgary needed to retain Huberdeau. They had two stars walk.

Huberdeau likely saw how volatile the free agent market was this off season (Kadri still unsigned, Klingberg 1 year contract, etc). If you go by what teams people include on no trade lists, he probably ideally doesn't want to play in Calgary (or for any Canadian team), but if he has an off season in a new system, he's getting 6x6 on a new team as a UFA, not 10.5x8. Huberdeau went with the safe choice and got paid.

Florida still wins the trade. They got the better forward who is younger. They gave up 1 year of Weegar, a 1st, and a marginal prospect to upgrade Huberdeau to a younger and better Tkachuk.

This could look pretty bad for Calgary in a few years, but unless they are going to tear it down, this was their best play.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 5:13 a.m.
I get why Calgary did this, but I think they missed a big opportunity to rebuild. I don't think the Flames have a great long term competitive outlook, and I don't think they're even a favourite to go deep/win short term.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 5:23 a.m.
WentWughes
Terms sketchy, but good AAV
Aug. 5, 2022 at 5:33 a.m.
Good deal, Huberdeau is worth that 10.5 now and term was necessary, you give term to star, will it age badly, probably, will Calgary get multiple years of good production, also probably. You also have to think that Calgary just had 2 stars ( Tkachuk and Gaudreau ) reject to stay, well now they’ve been able to keep 1
Aug. 5, 2022 at 6:23 a.m.
TOR V5 GM
b.b...b....b.......bu...............but hes going to the habs!!
CSStrowbridge liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 6:27 a.m.
sensonfire
And with that, the Calgary Flames win the Matthew Tkachuk trade.

Good signing.
CSStrowbridge liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 7:23 a.m.
This is not good. A 30 year old 6'1 winger signed till he's 37 with the 8th biggest cap hit in the NHL. They didn't even wait to see how he looks on the team and fits in the system. Signings like this really mess with the future of the team. Flames are gonna be the new Sharks.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 7:43 a.m.
Not yet trannycided
Yes, this is what you have to do to keep a guy like Huberdeau. But this contract will almost certainly look like an albatross by the end. If it was just six years, it'd be okay, but the fact that it goes until he's 38 is completely ridiculous.
RawDeal liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 7:46 a.m.
As good as it could be honestly. The AAV couldn't really be any lower after last season, and the term is just normal for players of his quality and age. Calgary are in win now mode so honestly it's fine. At least he didn't walk!!
Aug. 5, 2022 at 8:16 a.m.
Edited Aug. 5, 2022 at 8:24 a.m.
Quoting: ThirdPeriodCringe
Good from Huby's perspective that he signed cause he wouldn't be getting that contract going into the season and running a risk of getting injured. But at the same time how many 30 year old puts up 100 points/season has there been in the NHL? I still see him being productive but not at the levels he did the last 4 or 5 seasons ago.

30 players, 38 times. (this includes (5) players who were 29 to start the season, but turned 30 during)

the most recent was Stamkos this year @ 31yo (turned 32 before seasons end)

the oldest was Gordie Howe, in the 68-69 season @ 40yo. (5 total were 35+, including Howe and Joe Sakic (37))
Aug. 5, 2022 at 8:17 a.m.
You know nothing JS
Where are all the people who said that Calgary won the Tkachuk trade because they could flip Huberdeau for 1st round picks?!?!

Calgary lost an opportunity to rebuild and will be a fringe playoffs team for years to come.
RawDeal and ThirdPeriodCringe liked this.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 8:21 a.m.
Pete
omg - such a devastating deal
i'd be okay if the deal was for 3y but 8 ?? grimace
Aug. 5, 2022 at 8:29 a.m.
Watches no games
*This* is why Florida were the winners of the Tkachuk trade. Huberdeau is the kind of player you want to trade because his name value is higher than his one-ice one.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 8:35 a.m.
GoJetsGo
That's a lot.
Aug. 5, 2022 at 8:45 a.m.
KissMyAsthma
That contract made me blush
Aug. 5, 2022 at 8:45 a.m.
Western Champs
On the next CBA, they should remove the signing bonus for contact who goes beyond the age of 35
Aug. 5, 2022 at 8:57 a.m.
Quoting: AndrewLadd
I was told he wanted to play in the bright lights of Montreal

He wanted a FAT stack more.....

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit