Forums/Armchair-GM

LEAFS CUP WINNING ROSTER AFTER DUBAS GETS KEEFE THE BEST COACH HIS PLAYERS

Created by: TML_Tika
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 6, 2022
Published: Aug. 6, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Toronto Maple Leafs have without a doubt the best coach in all of hockey in Sheldon Keefe and his regular season coaching winning record is absolutely incredible.

Sheldon Keefe coached the Pembroke Lumber Kings to 5 Championships and the Toronto Marlies to 1 Calder Cup Championship and the Maple Leafs will be his next championship team.

Keefe has a winning regular season coaching record which is unmatched in all of hockey as follows:

Toronto Maple Leafs-NHL(2019-Present)
185 Games - 116 Wins, 50 Losses, 19 ties

Toronto Marlies-AHL(2015-2019)
320 Games - 200 Wins, 89 losses, 22 ties

Sault Ste.Marie Greyhounds-OHL(2012-2015)
204 Games-134 Wins, 55 Losses, 5 Ties

Pembroke Lumber Kings-CCHL(2006-2012)
423 Games-303 Wins,96 Losses,4 Ties

Kyle Dubas has gone out in a very focussed manner this offseason and acquired a number of under the radar defensive players for the Leafs requested by Sheldon Keefe to win a Stanley Cup in Toronto.

The Toronto media is starting to realize that the Maple Leafs are on the verge of greatness with their great star core players just entering their prime years, these recent player additions this offseason which gives the Leafs a solid 3rd and 4th line and under-rated goaltending, the value of the continuity of the overall team and having the best coach in all of hockey in Sheldon Keefe.

The Leafs improved to the 4th best winning record during the 2021-2022 season and hockey fans across the NHL are realizing that the Leafs have become a powerhouse team and are on the verge of greatness and winning a Stanley Cup.

The Leafs were a dynasty and won 4 Stanley Cups in the 1960's with their last great coach in Punch Imlach and look to repeat winning more cups with Sheldon Keefe.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,600,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,200,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Knies, Matthew
3$925,000
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$82,500,000$82,727,283$212,500$0-$227,283
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Knies, Matthew
$925,000$925,000
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 6, 2022 at 2:25 a.m.
Keep them coming skankhunt42
Aug. 6, 2022 at 2:41 a.m.
Banned
Sheldon keefe is more of a middle of the puck coach at best.

Cooper
Brindamour
Bednar
Sullivan
Cassidy
Berube
Sutter
Gallant
Maurice
Torts
Evason
MSL
Laviolette
Boudreau
Debour

Are all in my opinion better coaches. Everybody above torts is no question better than keefe. Sure keefe has had a good career as a coach don’t get me wrong, but if you look at his performance at the NHL level, it’s rather mild compared to other teams. He was brought in to elevate the leafs to champions and not just a good team and he has failed to do that so far. He may just wind up being the Nick Saban of hockey. Finds tons of success at the second best level but never is able to get to the top at the top level. His records have also progressively gotten worse as the leagues improve and that is likely due to more balanced competition but also it could be a sign he hasn’t necessarily improved as a coach and has used a lot of the same tactics at all levels. Keefe is a good coach don’t get me wrong, but he isn’t a good NHL coach. Given the talent keefe has been given, the lack of post season success must say something. They have been bounced in the first round every time he has been coach. It’s not that I am bringing up that point because the leafs can’t win a series, but that the leafs can’t win series against good teams. The teams that have bounced the leafs have all gone on to the semi finals. That shows the leafs are good but get bested by better teams. Against top 5 teams, the leafs were sub 500. The Avs were at 750 and they won the cup. That circles back to the original argument of keefe not being a great coach. His teams get bested by teams that are worse on paper and it shows that the elite coaching beats him and his teams. Montreal had their miracle run and they got lucky vs the leafs, but it was very preventable for the leafs to even allow montreal to come back from 3-1. The better coaches beat the leafs and that’s the short of it. Talent wise the leafs had the capability to win it all. Did they? That’s why I believe keefe is middle of the pack but won’t be the guy to lead the leafs to a cup.
Aug. 6, 2022 at 2:51 a.m.
The Canucks Suck
#TurnItDownTika
vikhodush liked this.
Aug. 6, 2022 at 2:54 a.m.
Quoting: SamTheGoalie36
#TurnItDownTika

Turn it down.......The Leafs are just getting started.
Elias_Sedin liked this.
Aug. 6, 2022 at 3:02 a.m.
Banned
Too bad Matthew Knies is playing another season at Minnesota. So it wont be until their season is done before he signs with the Leafs.
TML_Tika and aedoran liked this.
Aug. 6, 2022 at 3:11 a.m.
Quoting: Cardiac
Sheldon keefe is more of a middle of the puck coach at best.

Cooper
Brindamour
Bednar
Sullivan
Cassidy
Berube
Sutter
Gallant
Maurice
Torts
Evason
MSL
Laviolette
Boudreau
Debour

Are all in my opinion better coaches. Everybody above torts is no question better than keefe. Sure keefe has had a good career as a coach don’t get me wrong, but if you look at his performance at the NHL level, it’s rather mild compared to other teams. He was brought in to elevate the leafs to champions and not just a good team and he has failed to do that so far. He may just wind up being the Nick Saban of hockey. Finds tons of success at the second best level but never is able to get to the top at the top level. His records have also progressively gotten worse as the leagues improve and that is likely due to more balanced competition but also it could be a sign he hasn’t necessarily improved as a coach and has used a lot of the same tactics at all levels. Keefe is a good coach don’t get me wrong, but he isn’t a good NHL coach. Given the talent keefe has been given, the lack of post season success must say something. They have been bounced in the first round every time he has been coach. It’s not that I am bringing up that point because the leafs can’t win a series, but that the leafs can’t win series against good teams. The teams that have bounced the leafs have all gone on to the semi finals. That shows the leafs are good but get bested by better teams. Against top 5 teams, the leafs were sub 500. The Avs were at 750 and they won the cup. That circles back to the original argument of keefe not being a great coach. His teams get bested by teams that are worse on paper and it shows that the elite coaching beats him and his teams. Montreal had their miracle run and they got lucky vs the leafs, but it was very preventable for the leafs to even allow montreal to come back from 3-1. The better coaches beat the leafs and that’s the short of it. Talent wise the leafs had the capability to win it all. Did they? That’s why I believe keefe is middle of the pack but won’t be the guy to lead the leafs to a cup.

Good comments......however......I am looking at Sheldon Keefe's winning percentage which is trending up significantly with the Maple Leafs as follows:

2019-2020 574%
2020-2021 625%
2021-2022 659%

Sheldon Keefe is a coach who has continued to improve at every level he has coached and he is now showing that with the Leafs.

More importantly......he has helped to develope a number of players into making and improving as NHL players in Connor Brown, Mason Marchment, William Nylander, Pierre Engvall, Michael Bunting, Justin Holl, Timothy Liljegren, Ramus Sandin, Adam Brooks, Carl Grundstrom, Martin Marincin, Trevor Moore and Calle Rosen.

I think his time to shine as an NHL coach is just starting after only 3 years in the NHL compared to alot of these career NHL coaches on your list and he is going to surprise you in the future.
Aug. 6, 2022 at 3:12 a.m.
Quoting: HockeyGuy62
Too bad Matthew Knies is playing another season at Minnesota. So it wont be until their season is done before he signs with the Leafs.

Agree.....but he is going to be on the Leafs before the end of the 2022-2023 season and in time to help out the Leafs in the playoffs........He looks like he may be a real power forward in the NHL.
The_Ginger_Leaf liked this.
Aug. 6, 2022 at 3:17 a.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: TML_Tika
Turn it down.......The Leafs are just getting started.

Feel like they’ve been “just getting started” for a long time now
TML_Tika, The_Ginger_Leaf, Faulk_my_Dzingel and 3 others liked this.
Aug. 6, 2022 at 3:26 a.m.
Banned
Agree.....but he is going to be on the Leafs before the end of the 2022-2023 season and in time to help out the Leafs in the playoffs........He looks like he may be a real power forward in the NHL.

True......Fair enough. Yeah i really like that kid.
TML_Tika and aedoran liked this.
Aug. 6, 2022 at 3:32 a.m.
Quoting: Juiceman

It can be hard to push through to become a championship team........The great Islanders team experienced a number of failures before they made it to the top and won 4 cups in a row.
Aug. 6, 2022 at 3:36 a.m.
Quoting: Juiceman

Guy is just a troll account, he’s just stopped being subtle with it
Juiceman liked this.
Aug. 6, 2022 at 4:06 a.m.
It can be hard to push through to become a championship team........The great Islanders team experienced a number of failures before they made it to the top and won 4 cups in a row.

Trottier>Matthews, bossy>marner, potvin>rielly, smith>Murray, arbour>keefe
Aug. 6, 2022 at 4:26 a.m.
Banned
Good comments......however......I am looking at Sheldon Keefe's winning percentage which is trending up significantly with the Maple Leafs as follows:

2019-2020 574%
2020-2021 625%
2021-2022 659%

Sheldon Keefe is a coach who has continued to improve at every level he has coached and he is now showing that with the Leafs.

More importantly......he has helped to develope a number of players into making and improving as NHL players in Connor Brown, Mason Marchment, William Nylander, Pierre Engvall, Michael Bunting, Justin Holl, Timothy Liljegren, Ramus Sandin, Adam Brooks, Carl Grundstrom, Martin Marincin, Trevor Moore and Calle Rosen.

I think his time to shine as an NHL coach is just starting after only 3 years in the NHL compared to alot of these career NHL coaches on your list and he is going to surprise you in the future.

I get that but at the same time, developing players isn’t nearly as important as elevating their play in the NHL once they’re already developed. The two that stick out the most to me are marchmant and Moore who both got shots with the 2019 leafs and left and really elevated their game with other teams who have better coaches. Maurice really got everything from marchmant tbh. Keefe helped with development don’t get me wrong, but Maurice helped marchmant elevate his game to where he is today. The point where he has been improving with his winning percentage is good in a vacuum but there are also other things to look at with the leafs teams there. If you look at the production of matthews and marner in that time, both are 35 points higher than the 2019 season in an 82 game season. Nylanders development has also been good as well but he is around only 10 points more per 82. Tavares hasn’t been better or worse between those two years. The surrounding talent is also producing at a relatively similar rate. The 7th best forward in 2019 was on pace for 35 points. The 7th best forward was scoring at a 37 point pace this past season. That is forwards who played in most of the season. Both of those leafs teams had forwards who produced at a better rate under that but because they played less than the average lineup guy, they dont really produce as much. This goes back to a point I have made time and time again in that the leafs are a two line team. Because the top 2 players produce at so much of a higher rate, the wins go up. Of all of the leafs wins this past season, there was only 1 where both of Matthew’s and marner had no goal contributions. That one win always against ottawa and it was a 6-0 win at that. The record when both Matthew’s and marner don’t score this past season was 1 and 6. I think that’s a real testament to how good matthews and marner are. In that one win the leafs had, nylander potted 2 goals. That means in every single win the leafs had this past season, one of their top 3 players recorded a point. This is a testament to how crucial matthews and marners play is to the leafs. The only team that’s more top heavy than the leafs is the oilers with mcdavid and drai. That team went like 2-3 years without recording a win where neither mcdavid or drai didn’t score. The 2019 leafs had a 574 winning percentage and the 2022 leafs had a 659 winning percentage. Those percentages have a direct correlation to Matthew’s and marners production. If neither produces, the leafs will likely lose. Being so dependent on that is a scary thing. My canes top 2 producers were aho and svechnikov. They won 4 games where neither scored. Of the leafs wins, less than 2% were wins that had neither Matthew’s or marner contribute. Of the canes wins, 7.5% were wins with neither aho nor svechnikov putting up a point. To be able to win without your top 2 is a big thing imo, it shows the teams overall depth off and the 4 line threat. I were to choose between the canes and the leafs, I would choose the canes because they’re deeper than the leafs offensively and if one of the top 2 were to miss significant time, it wouldn’t be the end of the world as the team can still win without them. The leafs are a better team in 2021-2022 than in 2019-2020. That is mainly attributed to the blossoming of the top 2 and without said top 2, the team is considerably worse and I would argue would be worse than the 2019 leafs. That’s how important those two players are to the teams success. It’s not because keefe has been a better coach, but rather how good those players are. If marner and Matthew’s aren’t logging 20+ minutes a game each, the team is pretty bad. Sure if you take away the top 2 forwards from any team it will be worse but the leafs drop off would be catastrophic. They would go from 115 pts to I would predict 70-80 points. You see an upward trend in the leafs success and credit keefe, I see the same trend and see keefe as a beneficiary to others work.
evelutions2 liked this.
Aug. 6, 2022 at 6:26 a.m.
Lets go Canucklehea
Just another delusional Leafs fan planning the parade in the first week of August
Juiceman, TML_Tika and vikhodush liked this.
Aug. 6, 2022 at 7:25 a.m.
Lets Get Kraken
Just because you have a good regular season record as a coach, doesn’t mean you are a good coach, particularly if you can’t even get out of the first round of the playoffs. Certain coaches are beneficiaries to star players, like Keefe and a couple of others. The Leafs won’t be sniffing the cup with the current team built as it is and with Keefe as coach.
Theozler, Faulk_my_Dzingel, Cardiac and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 6, 2022 at 11:31 a.m.
Smythe.over.Hart
Quoting: evelutions2
Just because you have a good regular season record as a coach, doesn’t mean you are a good coach, particularly if you can’t even get out of the first round of the playoffs. Certain coaches are beneficiaries to star players, like Keefe and a couple of others. The Leafs won’t be sniffing the cup with the current team built as it is and with Keefe as coach.

Unfortunately as a leaf fan I agree with you. I thought they took a step in the right direction for a playoff team a couple seasons ago with the Foligno acquisition. Dubas seemed to recognize a grit nosed player was needed. Unfortunately injuries derailed that.
They do need to go down this road however. As much as everyone rags on him, there’s a reason Corey Perry’s minutes for up significantly come playoff time. And why he’s been to the finals 3 years in a row.
Aug. 6, 2022 at 2:32 p.m.
Quoting: Theozler
Trottier>Matthews, bossy>marner, potvin>rielly, smith>Murray, arbour>keefe

This makes no sense saying a retired player is better than a younger, current player whose career has not been completed.
Aug. 6, 2022 at 3:47 p.m.
This makes no sense saying a retired player is better than a younger, current player whose career has not been completed.

Yawn, no cups leafs won’t touch isles
Aug. 6, 2022 at 7:38 p.m.
Yawn, no cups leafs won’t touch isles

Last time I checked......the Leafs have actually won 13 Cups......have no idea how you can say no cups.....but did not surprise me as you appear quite jealous of the Leafs organization.
Aug. 6, 2022 at 7:46 p.m.
Last time I checked......the Leafs have actually won 13 Cups......have no idea how you can say no cups.....but did not surprise me as you appear quite jealous of the Leafs organization.

Why jealous? I have as many cup rings as they do in my lifetime?
Aug. 6, 2022 at 7:48 p.m.
Why jealous? I have as many cup rings as they do in my lifetime?

You seem to really enjoy taking shots at the Leafs.
Aug. 6, 2022 at 7:51 p.m.

Just like stating reality on delusional posts is all
Aug. 6, 2022 at 11:45 p.m.
Quoting: IjustNEEDaTROYgamble
Just another delusional Leafs fan planning the parade in the first week of August

I'm actually booking my trip this week to fly out to Toronto next June for a a few days to watch the Leafs play in the Stanley Cup finals on the Big Screen at the CN Plaza.
Aug. 6, 2022 at 11:51 p.m.
I'm actually booking my trip this week to fly out to Toronto next June for a a few days to watch the Leafs play in the Stanley Cup finals on the Big Screen at the CN Plaza.

I really hope this is true lol
TML_Tika liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 9:48 a.m.
Lets go Canucklehea

That tends to happens when a region gets as full as them selves as the “ centre of the universe “ does but has nothing to show for all this talk
The Jets have made it farther in the playoffs then the Leafs in the last 20 years

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll