Forums/Armchair-GM

IF 3416 91 had taken friendly deals like Avs players did

Created by: GM_Todd
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 7, 2022
Published: Aug. 7, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Typical leafs guy full of woulda shoulda coulda’s.. would be pretty solid though…
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$6,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Matthews, Auston
2$8,500,000
Tavares, John
2$7,500,000
Marner, Mitchell
2$8,300,000
Spezza, Jason
1$750,000
Trades
TOR
    Wouldn’t need him
    TOR
    COL
    1. Marner, Mitchell
    2. Matthews, Auston
    3. Tavares, John
    Additional Details:
    Had to move these guys somewhere to re-do their contracts.
    TOR
    COL
    1. Kerfoot, Alexander
    Additional Details:
    Leafs wouldn’t have Kerfoot if they never had to trade Kadri and Kadri wouldn’t ever of had the season he had last year with the Avs if he stayed a leaf therefore would be a 5-6 million dollar centremen
    EDM
      Yep. Would love to have these two back.
      TOR
      OTT
      1. Murray, Matt
      Additional Details:
      Wouldn’t need this guy
      TOR
      1. Foligno, Nick ($1,000,000 retained)
      Additional Details:
      I think Nick would have taken less, with 1 more year added to term to stay in T.O
      BOS
      TOR
      ARI
      1. Engvall, Pierre
      Additional Details:
      Would have had to let Engvall walk
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      21$82,500,000$81,849,866$212,500$0$650,134
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
      $950,000$950,000
      LW
      UFA - 1
      Matthews, Auston
      $8,500,000$8,500,000
      Marner, Mitchell
      $8,300,000$8,300,000
      Logo of the Boston Bruins
      $2,800,000$2,800,000
      LW, C, RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      Tavares, John
      $7,500,000$7,500,000
      $6,962,366$6,962,366
      RW
      UFA - 2
      $2,100,000$2,100,000
      RW, C, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 4
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      C
      UFA - 7
      Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
      $5,500,000$5,500,000
      RW, LW
      NMC
      UFA - 6
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      C
      UFA - 1
      Spezza, Jason
      $750,000$750,000
      $900,000$900,000
      RW, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $7,500,000$7,500,000
      LD
      NMC
      UFA - 8
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      G
      M-NTC
      UFA - 5
      $5,625,000$5,625,000
      LD
      NTC
      UFA - 2
      $1,400,000$1,400,000
      RD
      RFA - 2
      $1,800,000$1,800,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      LD/RD
      NTC
      UFA - 2
      $800,000$800,000
      LD
      UFA - 2
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $750,000$750,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:01 a.m.
      Tavares came for the money. The idea of a team friendly deal was never an option
      Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:07 a.m.
      Mac was a 50 point player when he signed that deal and the cap was significantly lower then. The problem with the AM34 deal was not the cap hit, it was the term being too short. That's the kind of cap hit you get for a full 8 years. Marner was definitely a bit high though. Probably could have gotten him done for 1.5-2M less, but definitely not more than that. Tavares was never signing anywhere remotely near that cheap
      GMBL and Saskleaf liked this.
      Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:09 a.m.
      Quoting: TroubleAtTheHenhouse
      Tavares came for the money. The idea of a team friendly deal was never an option

Oh.. John told you that did he? Didn’t know you guys were so close.

Tough to say. I could see him leaning in the direction of being a Leaf whether money was on the table or not. But being the captain of NYI , also holding a big piece of him and restraining him. Then Dubas being the GM ultimately getting caught up in the wheeling and dealing game, wanting to make the deal happen so bad that he threw in a couple too many million and John just couldn’t turn that down.

You also have to remember. If he took 8M in Dallas or Florida he’d gross more then he would making 11M in Canada.
      Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:11 a.m.
      Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
      Mac was a 50 point player when he signed that deal and the cap was significantly lower then. The problem with the AM34 deal was not the cap hit, it was the term being too short. That's the kind of cap hit you get for a full 8 years. Marner was definitely a bit high though. Probably could have gotten him done for 1.5-2M less, but definitely not more than that. Tavares was never signing anywhere remotely near that cheap

I agree with all you said except that last part. If JT signed in any state with a no state tax he WOULD have taken that much with term.
      Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:12 a.m.
      Quoting: GM_Todd

Tough to say. I could see him leaning in the direction of being a Leaf whether money was on the table or not. But being the captain of NYI , also holding a big piece of him and restraining him. Then Dubas being the GM ultimately getting caught up in the wheeling and dealing game, wanting to make the deal happen so bad that he threw in a couple too many million and John just couldn’t turn that down.

You also have to remember. If he took 8M in Dallas or Florida he’d gross more then he would making 11M in Canada.

It’s pretty obvious he knew the Leafs wanted him after missing out on Stamkos. He could have took less but ultimately the Leafs threw more money at him. I doubt you or I would turn down the extra couple million either
      Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:12 a.m.
      KissMyAsthma
      If this had happened the oilers would have needed a new development system
      Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:13 a.m.

A 7 year term for Matthews could have brought the cap hit down under 10. The same is true for Marner. It was just bad cap management
      Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:14 a.m.
      You realize Tavares turned down 13m x 7 to take 11m with the Leafs right? Marners at 9.5m should have been the move. Matthews at 11m.
      Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:18 a.m.
      A 7 year term for Matthews could have brought the cap hit down under 10. The same is true for Marner. It was just bad cap management

A 7 year deal on Matthews was certainly not bringing the cap below 10M. Not with the Eichel deal signed 1 year before. Marner should have gotten roughly the same amount as Rantanen
      Icehockey18121124 and GMBL liked this.
      Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:25 a.m.
      Go leafs go
      Matthews’ deal was fine AAV, it just wasn’t long enough.

Tavares was a UFA. The idea of getting a UFA is paying them more money than you usually would because you are getting them for free asset wise. Tavares turned down a 13 mil offer from the sharks, so we can’t call his contract an overpay when he signed it.

Marner, when he signed it, it was on overpay. Now? I’m perfectly fine with it.
      Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:26 a.m.
      Go leafs go
      Ps. Mack didn’t break out until after he signed his deal. If anything Colorado overpaid him, knowing he had a lot of potential to break out and he did.
      GMBL liked this.
      Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:28 a.m.

People, including Mackinnon himself, think he took a discount but he was over valuing himself, he wanted 1C type money like O'Reilly and Stamkos but didn't have the stats to back it up, and like you said people ignore the % of cap he was taking at the time (which for people who don't know if you look at the player's contract's it's mentioned there). Now I do realize that all 3 of the Toronto guys got a higher % of the cap than those 1Cs but the market for players had changed (which is why the young guys got paid without having max term) and Dubas' model was based on paying stars more and role players less, which isn't a problem until there's a flat cap.

Tavares took a discount, by passing on greater offers and didn't really take much of a UFA premium either, considering that Panarin as a winger got paid more than him, and Bobrovsky's AAV is just 500k lower than his.
      Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:37 a.m.
      Quoting: Saskleaf
      Matthews’ deal was fine AAV, it just wasn’t long enough.

Tavares was a UFA. The idea of getting a UFA is paying them more money than you usually would because you are getting them for free asset wise. Tavares turned down a 13 mil offer from the sharks, so we can’t call his contract an overpay when he signed it.

Marner, when he signed it, it was on overpay. Now? I’m perfectly fine with it.

All your points are spot on, I would say that Tavares isn't even overpaid now by more than 1m considering that he's still a top C, and Huberdeau's contract.

Leafs' fans should just hope that they can retain those guys and win at some point (the sooner the better of course). I do wonder if Marner will want a huge raise like Matthews will. What will Nylander's next contract be like, he's been steps behind the other two ever since sitting out, but if he catches up by the time he's in his contract year, they might have 3 10m+ forwards again or pose one of them to FA. The ideal situation is that the current $ amount of the cap allocated to the 4 just gets reshuffled between whoever is in the next big 4 I guess, and by the time Tavares and Marner's new contracts kick in if they are still there the cap should start going up.
      Saskleaf liked this.
      Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:42 a.m.
      It’s pretty obvious he knew the Leafs wanted him after missing out on Stamkos. He could have took less but ultimately the Leafs threw more money at him. I doubt you or I would turn down the extra couple million either

Any team signing him would have paid at least 10m+, and mostly likely above 11m. Bobrovsky got 10.5m the following year in a low tax state, and Panarin got a 11.6m in a high tax state. Tavares plays a premium position.
      Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:49 a.m.
      Batherson Truther
      If you're giving murray back at least give us the picks back too, smh
      Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:49 a.m.

They would have had to make him the highest paid player without him even being the best player or best goal scorer, or best anything in the game at the time. Of course he was one of the best goal scorers but being top 5 or even top 3 isn't sufficient.

Matthews obviously wanted to have the choice of where he plays and how much he gets paid. He might choose to extend next year but I wouldn't be surprised if he did and only signed a 5 year contract for 13m or 15mx7 or 8.
      Aug. 7, 2022 at 11:04 a.m.
      tomato
      To much butterfly effect makes all of this nonsensical.
      Aug. 7, 2022 at 11:12 a.m.
      rookescr96
      Quoting: GM_Todd

Having no state income tax doesn't make up a 3 million dollar change. Yes it is a factor but people don't realize it's not near as high as what you think.

Tkachuk is only making $650k more per year on his 9.5 million in Florida compared to Calgary. So consider that the canadian premium and Tavares would still need 10-10.5 million from no state tax teams
      Aug. 7, 2022 at 11:23 a.m.
      Go leafs go
      Quoting: GMBL
      All your points are spot on, I would say that Tavares isn't even overpaid now by more than 1m considering that he's still a top C, and Huberdeau's contract.

Leafs' fans should just hope that they can retain those guys and win at some point (the sooner the better of course). I do wonder if Marner will want a huge raise like Matthews will. What will Nylander's next contract be like, he's been steps behind the other two ever since sitting out, but if he catches up by the time he's in his contract year, they might have 3 10m+ forwards again or pose one of them to FA. The ideal situation is that the current $ amount of the cap allocated to the 4 just gets reshuffled between whoever is in the next big 4 I guess, and by the time Tavares and Marner's new contracts kick in if they are still there the cap should start going up.

Ya, the biggest concern is hoping that they can resign these guys. Because unless they win a round this coming year, I can’t see Matthews wanting to commit long term. Who knows though, I hope I’m wrong.
      GMBL liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll