Initial Creation Date: Aug. 7, 2022
Published: Aug. 7, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
NJD
VAN
  1. Johnsson, Andreas
Additional Details:
Anywhere that will take him for whatever the return is. He's not a negative asset, but depending on what teams are on his NTC he may not be worth very much either. Let's just say he got waived and claimed by Arizona
Buyouts
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$81,249,126$0$1,332,500$1,250,874
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 3
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C
UFA - 8
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RW, C
RFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 5
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
UFA - 5
$5,450,000$5,450,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$874,125$874,125
C, LW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$4,950,000$4,950,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$2,375,000$2,375,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,125,000$1,125,000
LD
UFA - 1
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 3
$3,166,667$3,166,667
LD
UFA - 1
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
UFA - 5
$2,800,000$2,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LD/RD, LW
UFA - 2
$4,125,000$4,125,000
G
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:12 p.m.
It's pretty obvious NJ isn't gonna re-sign Severson now. The Canucks aren't gonna give up a top 6 winger with control for a pending UFA
theleano1 liked this.
Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:13 p.m.
PDG over PDO
Canucks pass, we aren't in position to move a top 6 winger for a pending ufa
palhal liked this.
Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:14 p.m.
n.1 Topias Vilen fan
Quoting: TheAlien
It's pretty obvious NJ isn't gonna re-sign Severson now. The Canucks aren't gonna give up a top 6 winger with control for a pending UFA

Quoting: theleano1
Canucks pass, we aren't in position to move a top 6 winger for a pending ufa

Let's say it came with an extension, happy? I've seen this trade posted by Vancouver fans a few times
Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:14 p.m.
Why are we trading away our strength in RHD to just add scoring to the 3rd line?

We didn't suck last year because we didn't score goals, we sucked because we gave up too many.

I get trading Severson at the deadline if we are out by more than 4-5pts (depending on how many teams we have to hop and how good the price is), but for now it doesn't seem to make sense.
palhal liked this.
Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:15 p.m.
PDG over PDO
Quoting: pretzelcoatl
Let's say it came with an extension, happy? I've seen this trade posted by Vancouver fans a few times

would depend on the extension, it would have to be as efficient as Garland's which i have serve doubts it would be
Aug. 7, 2022 at 10:15 p.m.
n.1 Topias Vilen fan
Quoting: NJDevils1317
Why are we trading away our strength in RHD to just add scoring to the 3rd line?

We didn't suck last year because we didn't score goals, we sucked because we gave up too many.

I get trading Severson at the deadline if we are out by more than 4-5pts (depending on how many teams we have to hop and how good the price is), but for now it doesn't seem to make sense.

Four years of Garland is better than one year of Severson. The Canucks are in a position to extend Severson, the Devils are not. The team is better in the long term for having done this.
Aug. 7, 2022 at 11:05 p.m.

This is what all Devs fans should be saying. One of the best RHDs in the league right now, lets go move the vet for a winger (who I like) which we have too many of right now. Makes no sense.
Any movement with Severson at the TDL should go for a pkg to get someone like Meier or similar.
Aug. 7, 2022 at 11:13 p.m.
Quoting: TheAlien

So then what about a guaranteed sign and trade? I don't necessarily think we need Garland anymore but I think that's relatively fair? If anything about Canucks would have to add a tiny bit.
Aug. 7, 2022 at 11:14 p.m.
n.1 Topias Vilen fan
Quoting: Smitty426
This is what all Devs fans should be saying. One of the best RHDs in the league right now, lets go move the vet for a winger (who I like) which we have too many of right now. Makes no sense.
Any movement with Severson at the TDL should go for a pkg to get someone like Meier or similar.

Severson is absolutely not one of the best RHDs in the league, he's the third best RHD on the team. I'd be much more hesitant to trade Severson if we didn't have Marino. Add to that that our defensive issues last year were greatly exacerbated by our shoddy goaltending. Then there's the issue of contracts, Severson won't be a Devil in a year but Garland would be a Devil for four. This is a team with insane forward depth for the next few years.
Aug. 7, 2022 at 11:15 p.m.
Four years of Garland is better than one year of Severson. The Canucks are in a position to extend Severson, the Devils are not. The team is better in the long term for having done this.

But I also don't see the Canucks doing that straight up either, I don't know why Severson would go there instead of hitting free agency without them overpaying.
Aug. 7, 2022 at 11:16 p.m.
Severson is absolutely not one of the best RHDs in the league, he's the third best RHD on the team. I'd be much more hesitant to trade Severson if we didn't have Marino. Add to that that our defensive issues last year were greatly exacerbated by our shoddy goaltending. Then there's the issue of contracts, Severson won't be a Devil in a year but Garland would be a Devil for four. This is a team with insane forward depth for the next few years.

That isn't what he meant by Severson being one of the best RHDs, I believe he meant the corps of the three 3RHD combined as a unit.
Aug. 7, 2022 at 11:18 p.m.
n.1 Topias Vilen fan
That isn't what he meant by Severson being one of the best RHDs, I believe he meant the corps of the three 3RHD combined as a unit.

That still works against his point. If the Devils RHD corps is so strong, then it lowers Severson's value to the Devils compared to other teams. Add in the contract situations of said RHD corps, and trading Severson seems like the obvious play
Aug. 7, 2022 at 11:23 p.m.
That still works against his point. If the Devils RHD corps is so strong, then it lowers Severson's value to the Devils compared to other teams. Add in the contract situations of said RHD corps, and trading Severson seems like the obvious play

I have to kindly disagree.

The first point being, I think it's an unfair trade to VAN. If you want to say it comes with an extension, and with that VAN has to blow him out of the water to do so...I mean honestly, why would Severson give them a discount?

Second point being, we have plenty of wingers we are looking to get time, namely Holtz. Why are we adding more wingers now rather than having that as a strength with no real direct true NHL RHD ready there? It's harder to hide defensemen than forwards.

I'm of the side I'd rather have a strong RHD (which I still don't get your point how that LOWERS Severson's value), and be more comfortable in the D zone than throw Reilly Walsh out there without there being an injury to cause that. If my wingers are Bratt, Palat, Sharangovich, Mercer, Holtz...I'm fine.
Smitty426 liked this.
Aug. 7, 2022 at 11:32 p.m.
n.1 Topias Vilen fan
I have to kindly disagree.

The first point being, I think it's an unfair trade to VAN. If you want to say it comes with an extension, and with that VAN has to blow him out of the water to do so...I mean honestly, why would Severson give them a discount?

Second point being, we have plenty of wingers we are looking to get time, namely Holtz. Why are we adding more wingers now rather than having that as a strength with no real direct true NHL RHD ready there? It's harder to hide defensemen than forwards.

I'm of the side I'd rather have a strong RHD (which I still don't get your point how that LOWERS Severson's value), and be more comfortable in the D zone than throw Reilly Walsh out there without there being an injury to cause that. If my wingers are Bratt, Palat, Sharangovich, Mercer, Holtz...I'm fine.

To your point about Walsh, that could easily be Smith or a UFA in that spot. As for what I meant by it lowering Severson's value, think about it like money. If you have $50, $10 is much more expendable than if you have $30.
Aug. 7, 2022 at 11:35 p.m.

Correct but I did mess it up "We have one of the best RHDs in the league". Sorry bout that and thx 1317!
Now to pretzl's point: I didn't even say it, its a story out there now, and I agree with it! Its balanced: Vets/newbies, defensive no pts shutdown guys and rovers, your point makes no sense. A RHD on a great contract say for the TDL has stupid kinds of value. And Garland? Although a good player, we have too many fwds as it is. If we are shopping for a fwd its a guy one notch below Johnny Hockey/Matt Tkachuk., Its not Garland! Put a pkg together with Sevs and I am interested in that. I am not so sure Severson is even moved tbh. I'd honestly say no thx to Van. Garland is nice but move some of the depth for him and sure maybe.
Aug. 7, 2022 at 11:38 p.m.
To your point about Walsh, that could easily be Smith or a UFA in that spot. As for what I meant by it lowering Severson's value, think about it like money. If you have $50, $10 is much more expendable than if you have $30.

I just can't agree with that analogy. I'm fine trading Severson at the deadline, but not now. We are already chuck full of forwards. I mean, you acquire Garland to play him on the 3rd line anyway. As I see it, a 3rd line RHD of Severson's abilities be of greater marginal difference to Walsh than Garland getting 3rd line minutes (as opposed to top 6) in VAN vs Tatar on 3rd line. Yes, Garland is far better than Tatar, but Severson is even that much better than a rookie in Walsh.
Aug. 8, 2022 at 12:17 a.m.
Ex Nucks fan
I just can't agree with that analogy. I'm fine trading Severson at the deadline, but not now. We are already chuck full of forwards. I mean, you acquire Garland to play him on the 3rd line anyway. As I see it, a 3rd line RHD of Severson's abilities be of greater marginal difference to Walsh than Garland getting 3rd line minutes (as opposed to top 6) in VAN vs Tatar on 3rd line. Yes, Garland is far better than Tatar, but Severson is even that much better than a rookie in Walsh.

Your argument fell short when you failed to do any research on Conor Garland by calling him a third line caliber player. Name 10 third line players that scored around 50 even strength points this past season
Aug. 8, 2022 at 12:19 a.m.
Quoting: Juiceman
Your argument fell short when you failed to do any research on Conor Garland by calling him a third line caliber player. Name 10 third line players that scored around 50 even strength points this past season

I'm not calling him a 3rd line caliber...if you look at how he setup his roster he's putting him on the 3rd line.

Actually read what I said there.
Aug. 8, 2022 at 12:20 a.m.
Ex Nucks fan
I'm not calling him a 3rd line caliber...if you look at how he setup his roster he's putting him on the 3rd line.

Even then, he will still likely out produce most of your top 6 even while playing limited minutes. He’s just super flexible like that
Aug. 8, 2022 at 12:22 a.m.
Quoting: Juiceman
Even then, he will still likely out produce most of your top 6 even while playing limited minutes. He’s just super flexible like that

Okay, I'll go slow with this one as you want to be very defensive on it. Do you believe there is a larger marginal difference between...pick any other top 9 forward the Devils would likely throw in there...over Severson over a rookie defenseman, or even Brendan Smith?
Aug. 8, 2022 at 12:40 a.m.

Severson is a more complete dman than Marino has been up until now. I would be very surprised if Severson, who has been our TOI leader for 5-6 years, drops to 3RD. That would be a significant fall-off in one year (a contract year, nonetheless)

He was unquestionably our best overall dman last season, especially at ES (Hamilton better on PP, Siegenthaler better on PK).
Aug. 8, 2022 at 3:09 p.m.
Okay, I'll go slow with this one as you want to be very defensive on it. Do you believe there is a larger marginal difference between...pick any other top 9 forward the Devils would likely throw in there...over Severson over a rookie defenseman, or even Brendan Smith?

Let it go, its a carousel you won't get off of, trust me!
Aug. 8, 2022 at 3:11 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Severson is a more complete dman than Marino has been up until now. I would be very surprised if Severson, who has been our TOI leader for 5-6 years, drops to 3RD. That would be a significant fall-off in one year (a contract year, nonetheless)

He was unquestionably our best overall dman last season, especially at ES (Hamilton better on PP, Siegenthaler better on PK).

Exactly, and if he slots down to help a young LHD then so be it. Let's stop trades with Van, we are not a good fit regardless if they think so!
NJDevils1317 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll