SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Arizona Coyotes signed Lawson Crouse (5 Years / $4,300,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 8, 2022 at 2:44 p.m.
That looks suspiciously like Jake Chychrun money. Gotta send him to Ottawa now
Aug. 8, 2022 at 3:00 p.m.
Catch me in corners
The dirty desert dawgs don't give an F - tons of cap space, so they pay Crouse who I'm sure is doing well for himself in Scottsdale.
Aug. 8, 2022 at 3:28 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: sensonfire
In arbitration, Crouse wanted 4 million in arbitration.

The Coyotes gave him 4.3 million for each of the next 5 years instead.

Funny.

This contract buys up multiple UFA years, which are worth more than that 1 arbitration RFA year. The arbitration numbers were only what the team and player felt that arbitration year was worth.
Aug. 8, 2022 at 3:36 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
This deal has so much upside. I am surprised to see so many people against it.

Bigger players take longer to develop and breakout. Crouse is coming off a breakout season where he paced for 25 goals. The upside of this deal is tremendous. If they went to arbitration, and Crouse repeated as a 25 goal power forward, with his intangibles, he's a 5 or 6 million dollar player next time around. If he regresses back to the bottom 6, he's an overpaid physical player who can give them a bit of secondary scoring.

Ultimately, by the time they are anywhere near the cap ceiling, this contract will be off the books. Cooley won't get paid for 3-5 seasons from now, whoever they get in 2023 won't get paid for 4 years minimum, so that only leaves Auston Matthews starting 2 years from now as their big contract.

If Crouse has another season where he paces for 25+ goals, they also will have the option to trade him for a killing. Players like Crouse are impossible to get. There is always a premium for them as UFAs. If Crouse goes from a fringe top 6 forward to a proven top 6 forward, he will get them a humongous return cost controlled at 4.3 million.
Aug. 8, 2022 at 3:39 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
That looks suspiciously like Jake Chychrun money. Gotta send him to Ottawa now

They are almost certainly taking back Zaitsev if they send Chychrun to Ottawa. Zaitsev only makes 2M this year against a 4.5M cap hit. This will offset them moving out Chychrun's 4.6M cap hit. With that said, you're right that this could be a domino. They now have all their pieces in place (save for Hayton who isn't arbitration eligible), so they know what they their spending will look like (both cap and real money salary) after a Chychrun trade with Ottawa.
Aug. 8, 2022 at 4:05 p.m.
Hawks Fan
I wonder if they overpaid to reach the cap floor? 🤔
Aug. 8, 2022 at 4:09 p.m.
Flood Geologist
Quoting: Scooter81
How much do you pay players?

Arizona:

YES

Usually for Arizona, it’s NO … but good for Crowse, not sure if he’s actually worth it but he’s probably have a higher profile on a better team
Aug. 8, 2022 at 4:16 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
Remember when people said Ilya Mikheyev was overpaid?

Both? Both!
Aug. 8, 2022 at 4:56 p.m.
They need to reach the cap floor lol, it’s an overpayment by a decent amount, if Arizona had a half decent team, Crouse could be a decent complimentary player but he’s not doing that here
Aug. 8, 2022 at 5:54 p.m.
Quoting: Jco5ta5
I wonder if they overpaid to reach the cap floor? 🤔

I thought their strategy for getting to the floor was to take on contracts that other teams are trying to dump, basically selling their cap space for draft picks. This seemed to work well for them last season, and a couple of the players they got from doing it actually turned out to be good, but perhaps they are finding it more difficult this off-season. A lot of bad contracts have expired in the last couple of seasons, and coming into the third year of a flat or nearly flat cap, teams have been more cautious about signing the kinds of contracts that turn out to be bad, so there don’t seem to be as many of them around this year. Teams still need to cut salary, but we’re seeing them trading useful players for future considerations instead of giving up draft picks, so the Coyotes are no longer the only team interested in taking other teams’ castoffs.

I doubt that this has anything to do with Crouse’s contract though. Opinions seem to be divided on whether this actually is an overpay, and I don’t know him well enough to judge for myself, but because it’s a 5-year deal, I’m pretty sure the team doesn’t think it’s an overpay. By the end of this contract, they may be in a totally different position, so I don’t think they’d want to burden themselves with overpaying somebody for five years just to get to the cap minimum this year. Have you noticed that none of the bad contracts they’ve taken on have had more than two years left on them? Short term pain for long term gain.
Aug. 8, 2022 at 7:03 p.m.
sen krak fan
Bad deal.
Aug. 8, 2022 at 7:07 p.m.
No regretzkys
Arizona retaining a relatively young middle six winger with size for 5 years is a good deal..
On another team, its an overpay, but considering circumstances its a W for ARZ
rollie1967 liked this.
Aug. 8, 2022 at 8:57 p.m.
He is going to get a ton of icetime with that roster, and I think this contract will look cheap in a couple of years. Power forwards dont grow on trees- and they usually take longer to develop. I think 20+ goals is a given, and his physical play makes this a big win.
Aug. 8, 2022 at 10:48 p.m.
GoJetsGo
First definitive L for Armstrong I think
Aug. 9, 2022 at 9:03 a.m.
feelsbadman
Does this contract include free housing for the 22-23 semester?
Aug. 9, 2022 at 9:59 a.m.
AZ rolling the dice on his potential which is bound to improve as the team does. I’m sure AZ has a very good idea of his projections. Using available Cap space now for what my be a bargain in his prime years. It’s a bit of an overpay now, (and a calculated risk) but that’s the idea.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 10:39 a.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Good for Crouse and Arizona. Arizona needs salary anyways so it works out
Aug. 9, 2022 at 4:35 p.m.
Banned
Helps the Coyotes stay above the cap floor I guess, and there's no trade protection

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit