SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Carolina Hurricanes signed Martin Necas (2 Years / $3,000,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:31 p.m.
Great deal! Guy still has potential, glad we haven’t given up on him yet.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:45 p.m.
Canes fan
Glad to have Necas back, still see plenty of potential in him despite last season. The cap hit is great and Necas has plenty of tools to become a great player.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 5:49 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Well looks like Gardiner's days in Carolina are numbered

Either we see a dump trade or a buyout
Aug. 9, 2022 at 6:12 p.m.
Good signing.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 6:29 p.m.
exo2769
Great deal.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 6:37 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: Scooter81
Can’t wait for someone to vote no on this signing

yk76x096xgx61.jpg?auto=webp&s=46e91485c643ab16697ac37eb5dec6658b6a53b5
Brian2016 and drambui liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 6:56 p.m.
Can’t wait for someone to vote no on this signing

I voted NO, he should have gotten more, he is twice as good as Kokteniemi.

The NO vote doesn't always have to judge the team, vote NO because the player got a bad deal.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 6:59 p.m.
NoQuitInNewYork
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
I voted NO, he should have gotten more, he is twice as good as Kokteniemi.

If he’s twice as good as Kokteniemi and he got less it’s a good signing IMO
Aug. 9, 2022 at 7:11 p.m.
If he’s twice as good as Kokteniemi and he got less it’s a good signing IMO

Good for the Canes, bad for the player.

Vote yes for the team,
Vote no for the player.

There isn't even any grey area in this contract, it's a so clear cut W for the team.

Kotkeniemi got $6 and Necas half that amount.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 7:26 p.m.
Canes hockey.
Quoting: Trickster
I'm confused

Is the buyout window gone or still there??

(nvm)
Aug. 9, 2022 at 7:45 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Good for the Canes, bad for the player.

Vote yes for the team,
Vote no for the player.

There isn't even any grey area in this contract, it's a so clear cut W for the team.

Well, maybe the Necas deal is fair to both parties. It's just that the KK deal was a complete win for KK. It what happens when team overpays in obtaining an RFA or even an upcoming UFA. The GM seems compelled to resign the player in order to justify the original trade.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 8:17 p.m.
Imagine what this deal would've looked like had he signed a year earlier. He had a breakout season in 20-21. He's is still a promising young player with a relatively high ceiling, but he needs to step it up next season.
jr400 liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 8:28 p.m.
Amazing deal, he’s still an RFA and easily worth more than 3mil
Aug. 9, 2022 at 9:49 p.m.
Nah.
Quoting: InRodWeTrust
Have faith, brother. The great 'Waddy' might not be done yet.

Sounds like his big move was adding Pacioretty to the LTIR?
Aug. 9, 2022 at 9:54 p.m.
Quoting: dopplsan
Sounds like his big move was adding Pacioretty to the LTIR?

Not sure that was his move, but let's see what he does now...
Aug. 9, 2022 at 9:56 p.m.
Quoting: Civil_Eng_PE
Gardiner either gets bought out / buried, or Bear gets trades for peanuts

Quoting: dopplsan
Good signing.

Where does this leave CAR's cap situation?

Quoting: Canesfan21_
They will either bury Gardiner and work with 8k in cap space (they won’t)

Or they will trade Bear. I am not entirely sure if they can buyout Gardiner or not.

Actually they can’t even bury him because they have to bring up Drury

Pacioretty going ro LTIR
Aug. 9, 2022 at 10:19 p.m.

Kotkaniemi got $4.8M AAV on his long-term deal, but your point is still valid. Necas put up better numbers in his worst season than Kotkaniemi in his best. Kotkaniemi is a year and a half younger but has one more year in the league. If Necas had arbitration rights, which he didn’t, he could build a strong case using Kotkaniemi as a comparable. But the Hurricanes’ scouting staff sees something in Kotkaniemi – something that I haven’t seen – that has convinced them he’s going to develop into a solid top-6 forward. I guess they’re still yet to be convinced on Necas.

Another reason they may not have wanted to sign him long term is that it probably would have taken a significantly higher AAV, because Necas believes that he’s still a top-6 forward so he’s not going to give up the opportunity to be paid like one, but the team’s priority was keeping this year’s cap hit to a minimum so they wouldn’t have to dump a player they think they need. They could only do that by going short.

What I’m wondering now is where he’s going to slot in the lineup. I think he needs to be in the top six to be effective, but unless Jarvis regresses or somebody gets hurt, it looks like the only potential opening there could be at center (Cap Friendly lists him as a RW-C, but I don’t think he’s ever played C in Carolina), unless they decide to put a guy who can score goals at LW with Staal and Fast on the third line, since that worked out well with Niederreiter in that spot last year.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 10:30 p.m.
I'm confused

The 48-hour buyout window that was created by the Lajoie signing is gone, but I think they can still buy out Gardiner if they waive him.

some confusion around their ability to do so bc he was on LTIR last year and may have not passed his physical yet.

If he doesn't pass the physical then he can stay on LTIR so there would be no reason to buy him out. If he passes then I believe they have to take him off LTIR, but then they could buy him out. I think they can waive him and buy him out anytime, so I see no need for them to rush into it. I'm not sure exactly when they have to get under the cap, but if they can wait until training camp, that's what I would do.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 10:45 p.m.
Nah.
Quoting: CEO
Pacioretty going ro LTIR

Yeah, his plan was tearing ACLs, got it 👍
Civil_Eng_PE liked this.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 10:47 p.m.
Quoting: jr400
The 48-hour buyout window that was created by the Lajoie signing is gone, but I think they can still buy out Gardiner if they waive him.

If he doesn't pass the physical then he can stay on LTIR so there would be no reason to buy him out. If he passes then I believe they have to take him off LTIR, but then they could buy him out. I think they can waive him and buy him out anytime, so I see no need for them to rush into it. I'm not sure exactly when they have to get under the cap, but if they can wait until training camp, that's what I would do.

Sorry, I think I was wrong about a couple of things:

The 48-hour window created by the Lajoie signing isn't gone, because it doesn't open immediately after the arbitration case is settled. It opens 3 days later and then runs for 48 hours.

I'm less sure about this one, but I think what I misunderstood the note about being able to buy somebody out if they clear waivers. I read it as meaning that's the only way you can buy somebody out if you're outside the buyout window, but I think it's actually just an additional requirement for buying somebody out if you're already in a buyout window. It's not something you can do anytime.

What this means for Gardiner is they can still buy him out, but I think they'll have to move quickly to get him off LTIR and through waivers in the next 48 hours.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 10:55 p.m.
Quoting: jr400
Kotkaniemi got $4.8M AAV on his long-term deal, but your point is still valid. Necas put up better numbers in his worst season than Kotkaniemi in his best. Kotkaniemi is a year and a half younger but has one more year in the league. If Necas had arbitration rights, which he didn’t, he could build a strong case using Kotkaniemi as a comparable. But the Hurricanes’ scouting staff sees something in Kotkaniemi – something that I haven’t seen – that has convinced them he’s going to develop into a solid top-6 forward. I guess they’re still yet to be convinced on Necas.

Another reason they may not have wanted to sign him long term is that it probably would have taken a significantly higher AAV, because Necas believes that he’s still a top-6 forward so he’s not going to give up the opportunity to be paid like one, but the team’s priority was keeping this year’s cap hit to a minimum so they wouldn’t have to dump a player they think they need. They could only do that by going short.

What I’m wondering now is where he’s going to slot in the lineup. I think he needs to be in the top six to be effective, but unless Jarvis regresses or somebody gets hurt, it looks like the only potential opening there could be at center (Cap Friendly lists him as a RW-C, but I don’t think he’s ever played C in Carolina), unless they decide to put a guy who can score goals at LW with Staal and Fast on the third line, since that worked out well with Niederreiter in that spot last year.

Paying Kotkaneimi $5 million for 9 years (when you add the $6.1 season to the $4.8 x 8 years) . That contract is in the realm of Yashin and Dipietro bad.
Aug. 9, 2022 at 11:16 p.m.
Amirov Forever
I'm confused

If Necas was slated for arbitration, then they will get another buyout window
palhal liked this.
Aug. 10, 2022 at 1:38 a.m.
This is a discount... Necas is betting on himself here.
Aug. 10, 2022 at 3:03 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: InRodWeTrust
Not this one.

There were other one's that did, just sayin. Confident that if Waddell and co. pushed harder to get him at under 3M, negotiations would have gone all the way and maybe into training camp
Aug. 10, 2022 at 8:14 a.m.
Quoting: Knuckl3s
There were other one's that did, just sayin. Confident that if Waddell and co. pushed harder to get him at under 3M, negotiations would have gone all the way and maybe into training camp

I think the contract is very fair and comparable myself. No complaints from me. And I don't believe mgmt would have allowed this to drag into training camp. They had other business to take care of. They needed to get this done. And now they have even more business to get done.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit