SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #11 - Will Lamoriello ever announce Kadri's signing?

Aug. 11, 2022 at 9:32 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I mean, it depends how you saw their potential, because we’ve already gone over this, if you consider Stutzle an elite prospect and he has the season he’s just had at 20 YO, you’d still think he is elite, if you’re let’s say Tage Thompson and you just had a career year, you’re likely to be hit with skepticism about his talent until he does it again ( with valid reasons )

Right but saying he is WAYY better than Dobson is a head scratcher given that Dobson put up almost the same amount of points as Stutzle despite being a d man and playing with terrible players. Again, I’m not saying one is better than the other but it is clearly too early to be making bold statements
capsfan2121 liked this.
Aug. 11, 2022 at 9:41 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: Db1899
Stutzle topping out at an Ehlers level would be great for the sens

Nah that would be disappointing . His ceiling is a 90-100pt 1C
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 11, 2022 at 9:45 p.m.
Quoting: Juiceman
Right but saying he is WAYY better than Dobson is a head scratcher given that Dobson put up almost the same amount of points as Stutzle despite being a d man and playing with terrible players. Again, I’m not saying one is better than the other but it is clearly too early to be making bold statements

This literally comes right back to the part where I said that it ties into your thoughts about their potential, Stutzle’s potential is higher than Dobson and as such, he’ll be regarded as better
Saskleaf, csick and Devil liked this.
Aug. 11, 2022 at 10:04 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
This literally comes right back to the part where I said that it ties into your thoughts about their potential, Stutzle’s potential is higher than Dobson and as such, he’ll be regarded as better

Comparing forwards to defensemen isn’t fair to begin with. The difference between them in terms of effectiveness is not as big as you think
Aug. 11, 2022 at 10:05 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: MatthewsFan
I will agree most (myself included) don't always understand it. But VGS is going to be just fine. They will need to make sure they are as close to the cap limit as possible to take advantage of this.

Can someone help me out and tell me how this works lol
MatthewsFan liked this.
Aug. 11, 2022 at 10:06 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: csick
Nah that would be disappointing . His ceiling is a 90-100pt 1C

You could say that about most young 1C but not all of them hit that ceiling. I’d say if he gets like 80 points, that’s pretty good
csick and capsfan2121 liked this.
Aug. 11, 2022 at 10:19 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: Juiceman
You could say that about most young 1C but not all of them hit that ceiling. I’d say if he gets like 80 points, that’s pretty good

I’d take an 80pt 1C over Ehlers tho
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 11, 2022 at 10:42 p.m.
Quoting: Zuki9797

Basically when a guy goes on LTIR you can ignore his AAV towards the cap. It is more complicated (technical) than that but it's the same thing in the end.

So if you have $80,000,000 in salaries against a $82,500,000 cap limit and you have a player with AAV of $2,500,000 go on LTIR; you can now spend up to $5,000,000 in salaries. You don't earn the shortage towards the deadline; with LTIR any shortage is a "use it or lose it" deal. This matters because if a player comes off LTIR you then have to be cap compliant so probably need to trade away a player out of desperation. If a guy is going to miss a full regular season then the risk goes away.
csick, Saskleaf and zk97 liked this.
Aug. 11, 2022 at 11:06 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
I’d take an 80pt 1C over Ehlers tho

Let’s wait till he gets 80 points
capsfan2121 and Sklikly liked this.
Aug. 11, 2022 at 11:07 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Let’s wait till he gets 80 points

If a guy gets 58pts with 2 of the worst finishers in the league , then 80pts doesn’t seem out of the question with one of the best finishers and also improving himself
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 11, 2022 at 11:14 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Zuki9797

If a team cannot be cap compliant on opening day without using LTIR, the LTIR Pool is the amount the team exceeds the Cap. For example, if a team is $3M over the Cap and places a player on LTIR with a $4M Cap Hit for the opening roster submission, the LTIR Pool is the $3M that the team exceeded the cap. While on LTIR, Cap Space is no longer accrued, meaning any portion of the LTIR pool not used cannot be used later.
zk97 liked this.
Aug. 11, 2022 at 11:32 p.m.
If a guy gets 58pts with 2 of the worst finishers in the league , then 80pts doesn’t seem out of the question with one of the best finishers and also improving himself

Who are the 2 bad finishers
Aug. 11, 2022 at 11:33 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: Db1899
Who are the 2 bad finishers

Brown and Formenton.
Aug. 11, 2022 at 11:42 p.m.
For fans of Chaos:

Vegas offer sheet Jake Oettinger 7 years @ $6,302,230 does Dallas match?

You get a young stud goalie AND remove one from a conference/potential playoff rival.

I hate Vegas but that would be amazing
Devil and zk97 liked this.
Aug. 11, 2022 at 11:44 p.m.
Quoting: Canesfan21_
Vegas ain’t making the playoffs with Thompson and Brossoit

Wonder if they are calling Toronto about getting Dylan Ferguson's rights back
Aug. 12, 2022 at 12:05 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Guys, Connor Bedard’s family is from Quebec, they later moved out west, step aside Vancouver, Connor Bédard ( have to add the accent now ) is coming to Montréal

Note: Bedard is still from Vancouver and a Canucks fan but his father’s family is from Quebec and are Habs fans

Vancouver has Quinn Hughes
Montreal has Kent Hughes
Bedard like the Hughes'
Which team has two Hughes? The Devils
Bedard to New Jersey
Aug. 12, 2022 at 12:07 a.m.
Quoting: Devil
Vancouver has Quinn Hughes
Montreal has Kent Hughes
Bedard like the Hughes'
Which team has two Hughes? The Devils
Bedard to New Jersey

Which team wins every lottery until the rules 100% prevent it from happening...
capsfan2121 liked this.
Aug. 12, 2022 at 6:24 a.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: HockeyScotty
For fans of Chaos:

Vegas offer sheet Jake Oettinger 7 years $6,302,230 does Dallas match?

You get a young stud goalie AND remove one from a conference/potential playoff rival.

I hate Vegas but that would be amazing

Yes they do, and it’s frankly not close. A 1st and a 3rd for Oettinger is a garbage return, plus it’s to a rival.

Vegas doesn’t have the cap space to OS Otter either, but they can trade Stone for nothing…
Aug. 12, 2022 at 6:46 a.m.
Wonder if they are calling Toronto about getting Dylan Ferguson's rights back

I severely doubt that because they Ferguson sucks, they left him unqualified for a reason, they’ve even had like a month to give him a deal/PTO
Aug. 12, 2022 at 10:24 a.m.
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Yes they do, and it’s frankly not close. A 1st and a 3rd for Oettinger is a garbage return, plus it’s to a rival.

Vegas doesn’t have the cap space to OS Otter either, but they can trade Stone for nothing…

Leaks that have been reported by the Athletic state Dallas wants $3-4 million AAV and Oettinger wants mid 4's or much more for term.

Dallas still has to sign Robertson. They have about $11mil to do both.

A $6.3 mil offer sheet puts them over the cap with Robertson's expected AAV to be well north of $6 million. If your Vegas what do you have to lose? So he stays with Dallas but then they have to move a good player or dump assets to unload Khudobin. Maybe it frees up a goalie elsewhere.

Vegas can make it work: AcGM
yikes and Devil liked this.
Aug. 12, 2022 at 10:46 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Good for 4th line center Barzal to be highlighted when asked by TheAthletic about unique skills that come to mind in the league

Patrick Kane: The first thing that comes to mind is just Barzal and the way he’s able to — it’s hard to explain, but he shifts his weight, and when he does it, he’s able to keep his speed. Most guys, if you’re shifting your weight, you’re probably slowing down or making some kind of turn. But he’s able to keep his speed even when he’s gliding and shifting his weight. I think he’s just so strong on his edges.

Anders Lee: There’s a ton of guys that I could pick apart different parts of their game. I’ll start with someone that I get to see every day, and that’s Mat Barzal and his edgework and his corners. When he can turn a corner with the puck and cut back, I really don’t think there’s anyone that can do that with the puck like him. I get to see that up close every day. That’s definitely something I admire. The top guys in the league, you try to watch their game and maybe try to take it and throw that it in there every once in a while and learn to see why they did that or what they do. Just try to grow your own game in a way, too. All those top skill guys they do something pretty special. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, but you can tell that it’s there.

cant wait for Lou to trade this guy
HockeyScotty, A_Habs_fan, capsfan2121 and 8 others liked this.
Aug. 12, 2022 at 11:36 a.m.
Quoting: yikes
Good for 4th line center Barzal to be highlighted when asked by TheAthletic about unique skills that come to mind in the league

Patrick Kane: The first thing that comes to mind is just Barzal and the way he’s able to — it’s hard to explain, but he shifts his weight, and when he does it, he’s able to keep his speed. Most guys, if you’re shifting your weight, you’re probably slowing down or making some kind of turn. But he’s able to keep his speed even when he’s gliding and shifting his weight. I think he’s just so strong on his edges.

Anders Lee: There’s a ton of guys that I could pick apart different parts of their game. I’ll start with someone that I get to see every day, and that’s Mat Barzal and his edgework and his corners. When he can turn a corner with the puck and cut back, I really don’t think there’s anyone that can do that with the puck like him. I get to see that up close every day. That’s definitely something I admire. The top guys in the league, you try to watch their game and maybe try to take it and throw that it in there every once in a while and learn to see why they did that or what they do. Just try to grow your own game in a way, too. All those top skill guys they do something pretty special. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, but you can tell that it’s there.

Trade Mat Barzal to Calgary and Noah Dobson to Ottawa, so that Lou can sign some REAL players like Nazem Kadri and P.K. Subban.
BuFfaLOFaN, zk97, yikes and 2 others liked this.
Aug. 12, 2022 at 11:59 a.m.
Quoting: yikes

The one positive about the islanders org is that Lou doesn’t have the authority to trade Barzal.
capsfan2121 and yikes liked this.
Aug. 12, 2022 at 3:59 p.m.
Jinx god
Leaks that have been reported by the Athletic state Dallas wants $3-4 million AAV and Oettinger wants mid 4's or much more for term.

Dallas still has to sign Robertson. They have about $11mil to do both.

A $6.3 mil offer sheet puts them over the cap with Robertson's expected AAV to be well north of $6 million. If your Vegas what do you have to lose? So he stays with Dallas but then they have to move a good player or dump assets to unload Khudobin. Maybe it frees up a goalie elsewhere.

Vegas can make it work: AcGM

Dallas would move Faksa, Suter and Dobby to free up room to match an OS, I’m pretty sure they’re ready for anything to come their way.

Stars just like to under value young guys and overpay the old guys, at the end of the offseason, they’ll come to an agreement.
zk97 liked this.
Aug. 12, 2022 at 4:00 p.m.
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Dallas would move Faksa, Suter and Dobby to free up room to match an OS.

Stars just like to under value young guys and overpay the old guys, at the end of the offseason, they’ll come to an agreement.

I'm sure they would. But if I'm Vegas I would put the pressure on them
Saskleaf and zk97 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll