Forums/Armchair-GM

Filling the hole at 2LD for the next couple seasons

Created by: GiggywithGibby
Team: 2022-23 Anaheim Ducks
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 10, 2022
Published: Aug. 10, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
We have some genuinely great options coming through the pipeline at LD, but there is currently a hole at 2LD that could use to be patched for 2, maybe 3 seasons, who would be paired alongside Drysdale. With this in mind, the criteria I am searching for is a bit bigger than Drysdale, fast enough to keep up, and a bit more defensively responsible. While not looking for the cheapest option available, there are a number of options out there this year on teams that need to move cap hit, so we likely don't have to give much up. Boston and Pittsburgh are obvious trade partners, as both are looking to clear cap, and both currently have 8 Defenseman on their rosters. ONLY ONE OF THESE LD TRADES WOULD HAPPEN.

Here are the options I have identified, and why we should consider them.
From Pittsburg:
Marcus Pettersson (Maybe) He puts up decent metrics, but he is on the outside looking in in Pitt, as this point getting bumped to the third pairing rather consistently with their emerging talents. With POJ knocking on the door, and clearing 4 million in cap space for three seasons, Anaheim could get paid decently to take him off their books, and he could return to the position of 2LD. I would try to pry Pitts 2023 2nd out of them for the space, but would settle for NJ's 3rd in return for FC. Maybe send back an overage mid grade prospect who would be a reclamation project for Pitt. This would also make a nice homecoming story, as we drafted him.

Brian Dumolin (Maybe) I think he would be a good pairing with Drysdale, however, with only a season left on his deal, its less appealing, and Anaheim is likely on his M-NTC

From Boston:
Mike Reilly (Yes) Boston also needs to move out a Defenseman, and clear cap. Though they have injuries that clear the cap issue, when they come back there will be issues. Grzelcyk is expected back at the start of November, meaning the logjam at LD is back. Boston could try waiving Reilly in order to hang onto him until more players return and see if he needs to get called back up, but they can't bury his contract and be cap compliant once everyone returns. Reilly has been in several ACGM's from Boston fans, though they think we would pay for him. I would try to pry a 2023 3rd from them, may take a 4th, and again may send an overage reclamation project prospect back the other way to improve the optics to the Boston media.

Derek Forbort (Yes) a less desirable option from Boston with the thought of pairing him with Drysdale, but would be an acceptable slot in. He has an 8 team no trade list, of which we can assume 7 are the Canadian teams, would be curious to see if Anaheim is on the list or not. More defensively minded that Reilly, a skosh older, and marginally more attractive real money owed.

From Vegas:
Alec Martinez (Yes) I know, I know, why help out our division rivals, why the oldest defenseman they have, why why why? Martinez, while old, is still highly mobile and defensively responsible. At two years of 5.25 AAV, we could extract a healthy price from Vegas if they can convince him to go to Anaheim, as he has a 12 team no trade list. Its not likely to happen, but he would make an excellent stop gap and partner for Drysdale.

Shea Theodore (Yes) This would cost us dearly to get him back, and I am still furious at GMBM for giving him away for a guy we hardly used and jettisoned shortly afterward. If we had admitted to being in the decline when we gave up Theodore, our rebuild could have been done by now, and we would be a powerhouse in an otherwise weak pacific division. I think Theodore/Drysdale would be a sight to behold, possibly both talented enough offensively to run two D on the powerplay. I am not sure the cost, but with three seasons at 5.2 AAV, he certainly earns his contract, and he has no trade protection. I want him back, so so bad, but maybe not as much as I want...

Nicolas Hague (Yes) Hooooo Mama do I want this man in a Ducks uniform. However, as a stop gap measure, he is the worst option as I would want to keep him around. Vegas currently has about 2.1 million left in cap room, still needs at least 1 forward, but preferably 3, so they are possibly shopping him. Maybe we can send over a cheaper forward to make it easier on them, or perhaps we take Broissoit's contract with his signing rights to help them clear cap space. This option may also cost us some assets, if the number is right, I would bite, Maybe we offer sheet him?
Trades
ANA
  1. Brossoit, Laurent
  2. Hague, Nicolas [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Vegas has about 2.1 million in cap space right now, needs at least one more forward, preferably two, and needs to get out from under Broissoits contract, and still hasn't resigned Hague. They have 6 defenseman under contract for the next two seasons, and do not have a 2023 2nd.

It seems unlikely that they will be able to keep him at this point. They will get a late 2023 2nd, relief from Broissoits contract, and a useable bottom 6 forward at league minimum cap hit.

We could also threaten to offer sheet him, but I am trying to make a relatively fair deal for him, knowing that it helps vegas out Cap wise. Hell, use the space to go sign Milano.
VGK
  1. Grant, Derek ($750,000 retained)
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (COL)
Additional Details:
See description for reasoning. ONLY ONE OF THESE THREE LD TRADES WOULD HAPPEN, NOT ALL.
ANA
  1. Pettersson, Marcus
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
4 Million is too much to be paying for a guy who has been bumped down to 3rd pairing, and the Pens could use the cap space to shore up needs elsewhere on their roster.

A single second round pick can get his contract off your books, preventing 6 years of a 2 million cap loss from a buyout. He is still a decent player, but has run out of runway in Pittsburgh.
PIT
    Future Considerations
    See description for reasoning. See description for reasoning. ONLY ONE OF THESE THREE LD TRADES WOULD HAPPEN, NOT ALL.
    ANA
    1. Reilly, Mike
    2. 2023 3rd round pick (BOS)
    Additional Details:
    Clears 3 million in cap space for two seasons. Reilly is on the outside looking in. He was a good pickup at 1.5 million, but has not worked out after you signed that larger contract.

You just signed Lindhold, Forbort has trade protection likely preventing him from going to Anaheim, and Gryzlyk was a much better defenseman last season. 3 Million AAV is a luxury you can't spend on a 4LD.

This trade is less likely to happen due in offseason due to boston injuries, but team may face recapture penalty if they attempt to waive him and no one grabs him, and I am not sure what teams in the league would snag him given the cap situation league wide this year. But with that said, he likely stays because Boston will be playing musical chairs with with IR this season given their rosters age.
    BOS
      Future Considerations

See description for reasoning. See description for reasoning. ONLY ONE OF THESE THREE LD TRADES WOULD HAPPEN, NOT ALL.
      Buyouts
      Retained Salary Transactions
      Buried
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the MIN
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the ANA
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      24$82,500,000$63,958,092$0$4,200,000$18,541,908
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
      $2,037,500$2,037,500
      LW
      RFA - 1
      $1,456,250$1,456,250
      LW, C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $3,650,000$3,650,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 3
      $1,295,000$1,295,000
      LW, RW
      RFA - 2
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      RW, C
      UFA - 5
      $1,450,000$1,450,000
      RW
      UFA - 1
      $1,800,000$1,800,000
      C, LW
      RFA - 2
      $425,000$425,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 2
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      C, LW
      RFA - 1
      $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
      C, LW
      RFA - 3
      $762,500$762,500
      C, RW
      UFA - 2
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $6,500,000$6,500,000
      LD/RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 4
      $3,500,000$3,500,000
      RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $6,400,000$6,400,000
      G
      M-NTC
      UFA - 5
      $850,000$850,000
      LD/RD
      RFA - 2
      $3,900,000$3,900,000
      RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $950,000$950,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $762,500$762,500
      LD
      UFA - 2
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      RD
      RFA - 1
      Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
      $2,325,000$2,325,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $750,000$750,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      $750,000$750,000
      LD/RD
      RFA - 1
      Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
      $4,025,175$4,025,175
      LD
      UFA - 3
      Logo of the Boston Bruins
      $3,000,000$3,000,000
      LD
      UFA - 2
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $5,250,000$5,250,000
      RW, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Aug. 10, 2022 at 5:25 p.m.
      Banned
      There are two factors that have pretty much closed the Pettersson trade window:
      1) Matheson getting traded
      2) Dumoulin is very unlikely to be extended

What was once a surplus on the left side is now becoming a need. Next our left side is likely to be Pettersson, POJ and Smith. Plus, while I know the flat cap has killed teams making teams taking on salary requiring incentive, there's no chance Hextall does this. He's been pretty open about the fact he won't add sweetener for teams to take our players.
      Aug. 10, 2022 at 5:29 p.m.
      Boston is not paying to move Reilly. For 3 reasons.

1- he has value

2- Mac and Grizz are out to start the year

3- they are cap compliant simply by burying Wagner and Foligno

You want him -make a reasonable offer.
      cMac73, Bruins1054_gmb and KennyBoi liked this.
      Aug. 10, 2022 at 5:31 p.m.
      KFTW
      I like Dillon here too
      GiggywithGibby liked this.
      Aug. 10, 2022 at 5:43 p.m.
      Quoting: Mr_Gardoki
      There are two factors that have pretty much closed the Pettersson trade window:
      1) Matheson getting traded
      2) Dumoulin is very unlikely to be extended

What was once a surplus on the left side is now becoming a need. Next our left side is likely to be Pettersson, POJ and Smith. Plus, while I know the flat cap has killed teams making teams taking on salary requiring incentive, there's no chance Hextall does this. He's been pretty open about the fact he won't add sweetener for teams to take our players.

Agreed. Hextall is big on keeping draft capital and wants a fair return for the likes of Pettersson but there is just none to be had with the flat cap.
      Aug. 10, 2022 at 5:53 p.m.
      Once a Kings Fan Too
      Like you, I would love to have Theodore, but like you, I know it's unrealistic. I like the Nicholas Hague idea enough to hope we can swing it.

Mike Reilly for a fourth isn't terrible.
      Aug. 10, 2022 at 5:58 p.m.
      Future Ducks legend
      Edited Aug. 10, 2022 at 6:44 p.m.
      Quoting: Gofnut999

1- he has value

1- I don't think he does positive value at 3m AAV, at the 1.5 you traded him for he did, but if I had to give up a pick, it would be a late rounder.

2- I cited that, however Grizz is expected back in November, and Mac is RD

3- Potentially, but who do you bring up or sign to fill those holes, and how will that affect your season?
      Aug. 10, 2022 at 6:00 p.m.
      Pettersson is worth his 4M
      Aug. 10, 2022 at 6:20 p.m.
      Hague deal but the 2nd a 3rd since we are eating salary for Vegas as well
      Aug. 10, 2022 at 6:30 p.m.
      Pens decline. They won’t pay to lose Pettersson. He is worth his contract and hasn’t been bumped down to the 3rd pair. Idk where you got that from but he was the 2nd pair with Marino last year.
      Both Letang and Petry want defensive defenseman partners so the likelihood MP gets traded is probably close to zero. With the acquisition of Ty Smith, I could see POJ getting traded before Pettersson.
      Aug. 10, 2022 at 6:37 p.m.
      Future Ducks legend
      Edited Aug. 10, 2022 at 6:46 p.m.
      Quoting: GeneralLandro
      Hague deal but the 2nd a 3rd since we are eating salary for Vegas as well

Yeah, potentially, but I don't see a whole lot of value difference between Col's 2nd and our 3rd, and seeing "2nd round pick" is more alluring, even its 60-64 OA.

I wanted the trade to look alluring enough to Vegas fans to see if they bite or throw a fit over Hague's value.

The difference being I'd be willing to pay or make a deal work for a guy I want, versus being miserly cheap about a guy who we could just slot in/deal with.
      OldNYIfan liked this.
      Aug. 10, 2022 at 6:43 p.m.
      Future Ducks legend
      Quoting: Hockeyfan1234
      Pens decline. They won’t pay to lose Pettersson. He is worth his contract and hasn’t been bumped down to the 3rd pair. Idk where you got that from but he was the 2nd pair with Marino last year.
      Both Letang and Petry want defensive defenseman partners so the likelihood MP gets traded is probably close to zero. With the acquisition of Ty Smith, I could see POJ getting traded before Pettersson.

Pensburgh.com and an SI article, both of which were written before you shipped Matheson out last month which I missed when I wrote this ACGM.
      Aug. 10, 2022 at 7:44 p.m.
      Jah1722
      Any of these trades would likely have to include Vaak, Mahura or Benoit. I doubt any of them make it thru waivers so would have to use them as a sweetener to pull just a little bit more value in return.
      Aug. 10, 2022 at 7:48 p.m.
      Future Ducks legend
      Quoting: Jah1722
      Any of these trades would likely have to include Vaak, Mahura or Benoit. I doubt any of them make it thru waivers so would have to use them as a sweetener to pull just a little bit more value in return.

I'd send out Mahura, I would consider Vaak, but I would like to keep Benoit, but don't we not need to deal with waivers until near the start of the season, otherwise we are just assigning them to the AHL for the season?
      Aug. 10, 2022 at 8:03 p.m.

1- he has value

I’m not sure where people get Reilly is bad. His advanced metrics last year were good. He is definitely better and cheaper then what many FA defenseman got just a month ago.
      Aug. 10, 2022 at 8:05 p.m.
      Future Ducks legend
      Quoting: Newgod77
      I’m not sure where people get Reilly is bad. His advanced metrics last year were good. He is definitely better and cheaper then what many FA defenseman got just a month ago.

Him being the go to guy on multiple ACGM's from Boston is where I pulled it from. WIth Gryz back from injury, he seems to be the 4th LD, and if everyone is healthy at the same time, the Bruins are 2+ over the cap.
      Aug. 10, 2022 at 8:13 p.m.
      Jah1722
      Quoting: GiggywithGibby
      I'd send out Mahura, I would consider Vaak, but I would like to keep Benoit, but don't we not need to deal with waivers until near the start of the season, otherwise we are just assigning them to the AHL for the season?

I think you’re right but still with White and Juolevi there’s not much space down there either and I’d argue all 3 of those guys are past the AHL point if they’re ever gonna be NHLers.
      Aug. 10, 2022 at 8:17 p.m.
      Him being the go to guy on multiple ACGM's from Boston is where I pulled it from. WIth Gryz back from injury, he seems to be the 4th LD, and if everyone is healthy at the same time, the Bruins are 2+ over the cap.

They are fine with the cap and he can play on the right side if needed. Most ACGM have a 3rd coming back, not going with. Someone will get hurt by the time McAvoy gets back anyway.
      Aug. 10, 2022 at 8:20 p.m.
      1- I don't think he does positive value at 3m AAV, at the 1.5 you traded him for he did, but if I had to give up a pick, it would be a late rounder.

2- I cited that, however Grizz is expected back in November, and Mac is RD

3- Potentially, but who do you bring up or sign to fill those holes, and how will that affect your season?

1 - incorrect - perception v. reality is very skewed on him

2 - Reilly plays both sides

3 - with those 2 buried it’s a 22 man roster, no need to do anything.
      Aug. 10, 2022 at 8:25 p.m.

That’s where you would start to get our interest. Mahura is a similar style to Reilly, not as good but cheaper. A straight swap of the 2 would not be out of the question. Gets Boston out of having to bury anyone while maintaining enough D depth. Mahura would likely serve as the 6th to start the year. 7th when Grizz returned. With everyone healthy he’d either be placed on waivers or they carry 8 d. It’s a downgrade in talent but it makes sense.
      Aug. 10, 2022 at 8:51 p.m.
      Future Ducks legend
      That’s where you would start to get our interest. Mahura is a similar style to Reilly, not as good but cheaper. A straight swap of the 2 would not be out of the question. Gets Boston out of having to bury anyone while maintaining enough D depth. Mahura would likely serve as the 6th to start the year. 7th when Grizz returned. With everyone healthy he’d either be placed on waivers or they carry 8 d. It’s a downgrade in talent but it makes sense.

huh, I would probably do that deal straight up.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll