Forums/Armchair-GM

Realistic

Created by: AleksanderBruhkov
Team: 2022-23 Florida Panthers
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 12, 2022
Published: Aug. 12, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I've been lurking around ACGM for a long time, mostly using it to fiddle around with things on my own. Figured for my first official post I'd try to do something realistic with the Panthers (my favorite team, if my username wasn't obvious enough lol).

So, here's what I figured:
1. I love Hornqvist, but I think dumping his contract is the most realistic way to get under the cap. We could gamble a lot on someone getting hurt and just use Duclair's LTIR money to keep him and ice a 20-man lineup, but that seems VERY unrealistic. I don't know what teams would be interested in him, but my guess is either Anaheim or Arizona. He might not waive for either of them, in which case I would posit that Seattle probably isn't on his no trade list and they were interested in him. What do y'all think?
2. I signed Rodriges to replace Hornqvist. The deal is a one-year "prove it" contract, with a considerable raise set for next season if he can earn it. I don't actually know if Florida has any interest in E-Rod, but I personally like him a lot. He'd do well with Lundell, IMO, or with Barkov on the top line while Duclair is injured. There are plenty of other options, though (such as Sprong: why tf hasn't anyone signed him?).
3. We really need a defenseman, but even without Hornqvist, we're pretty tight against the cap. My immediate thought, however, was to grab Justin Holl from whatever team Toronto trades him to for cap space. At 50% retention, he fits in perfectly (albeit, we'd be VERY snug against the cap). Again, we could do more using Duclair's LTIR money, but that's a very risky move. This seemed semi-realistic, and I honestly don't mind Holl as a defenseman. He's not ideal, but he's a solid replacement for the time being, and his underlying numbers aren't horrible. I kinda wonder if he could play LD with Ekblad?
4. A very minor note, but I could definitely see Lundell taking over the 2C role at some point this season (perhaps even to start the year). I'm not a huge fan of 3C Bennett, but it could work, and if it doesn't, that could make him expendable (4m off the books would help a TON this year). Just something to think about.

Lineup when Duclair is healthy:
Verhaeghe - Barkov - Tkachuk
Duclair - Bennett - Reinhart
Balcers - Lundell - Rodrigues
Cousins - Luostarinen - White
Forsling - Ekblad
Carlsson - Gudas
Montour - Holl

NOTE: I wonder if we wouldn't even need to sign a Hornqvist replacement if we just bring up someone like Levtchi. Might be easier, and it would save us some money. I also wonder what would happen if we paired Carlsson with Ekblad? Forsling - Gudas would become our second pairing, like in years past, and Montour - Holl would stay the same.

Edit - Second Note: Probably move the 2023 2nd and use that to dump Hornqvist. Seems to be the agreed-upon value. Holl apparently has no value so maybe just the 5th to get him?
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,500,000
Trades
FLA
    Probably future considerations.
    I thought about trying to get Lundestrom back as a serviceable replacement (and a good penalty killer to play with Luosty), but I don't know what value he carries.
    ANA
    1. Hörnqvist, Patric
    Additional Details:
    What might it cost to move him, realistically? I've seen some ACGMs of other teams that get him for very little (such as a Coyotes trade that gave Florida 50% retained Gostisbehere for Hornqvist and a 2nd), so I honestly don't know.
    FLA
    1. Holl, Justin ($1,000,000 retained)
    Additional Details:
    Toronto trades Holl for cap relief, and the team that gets him flips him to Florida at 50% retained for some futures.
    TOR
    1. 2023 2nd round pick (FLA)
    2. 2024 5th round pick (FLA)
    Additional Details:
    Is this too much for Holl? I figured with retention he's worth a decent bit.
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the FLA
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$82,500,000$80,988,334$637,500$3,632,500$1,511,666

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Florida Panthers
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    RW
    UFA - 8
    $10,000,000$10,000,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $4,166,667$4,166,667
    LW
    UFA - 3
    $4,425,000$4,425,000
    C
    UFA - 3
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    C, LW
    RFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 2
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $2,666,667$2,666,667
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $7,500,000$7,500,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $10,000,000$10,000,000
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $800,000$800,000
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$1,850,000$2M)
    G
    RFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $800,000$800,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Aug. 12, 2022 at 1:10 p.m.
    Takes at least a second with Hornqvist for FCs

Lundestrom has a good bit of value, 2018 first rounder developing as expected for a 3C spot, no real reason for ANA to trade him for less than a late first
    Lenny7 liked this.
    Aug. 12, 2022 at 1:13 p.m.
    Holl is a cap dump, no need to pay that much even if he wasn't a cap dump.
    Aug. 12, 2022 at 1:16 p.m.
    Bruh
    Quoting: gary_gobbler
    Holl is a cap dump, no need to pay that much even if he wasn't a cap dump.

But would he be that cheap coming from a third-party that's flipping him at 50% retention?
    Aug. 12, 2022 at 1:17 p.m.
    Bruh
    Quoting: Salzy

Lundestrom has a good bit of value, 2018 first rounder developing as expected for a 3C spot, no real reason for ANA to trade him for less than a late first

That's kinda what I thought, and the main reason I didn't trade for him. I also thought a 2nd rounder would be what it takes to move Hornqvist.
    Salzy liked this.
    Aug. 12, 2022 at 1:32 p.m.
    Habs4Ever
    Forsling-Ekblad
    ?-Montour
    Carlsson-Gudas
    Staal

Zito need to find the right LHD who could fit with FLO

Hornqvist will cost a lot to dump IMO
    Teams knows he is overpaid and FLO HAS to move him to be cap compliant

Like Grigorenko type of asset

Why are Panthers fans so high on Anton Levtchi ?
    Aug. 12, 2022 at 1:52 p.m.
    Future Ducks legend
    Hornqvist dump will likely cost a 2023 2nd round pick. We can send a warm body back over such as Grant (would retain on him because why not, its 750k) or Carrick, but we wouldn't send anyone young or good unless we get market rate for them on top of the dump, and it would be a steep price because he is fitting into our rebuild time/plan perfectly.
    Aug. 12, 2022 at 2:14 p.m.
    The Panthers could also become cap compliant by moving Montour for a cheaper defenseman. I'm thinking Carson Soucy.

I'd say Soucy and Montour are on par with each other. Montour has a year more on his contract so Seattle would get more contract clarity by acquiring him.

However, that would only make the Panthers cap compliant until Duclair comes back
    Aug. 12, 2022 at 2:16 p.m.
    Bruh
    Quoting: TheRealisticGuy
    Forsling-Ekblad
    ?-Montour
    Carlsson-Gudas
    Staal

Zito need to find the right LHD who could fit with FLO

Hornqvist will cost a lot to dump IMO
    Teams knows he is overpaid and FLO HAS to move him to be cap compliant

Like Grigorenko type of asset

Why are Panthers fans so high on Anton Levtchi ?

Personally I'd like to have a LD to pair with Ekblad so Forsling can play with Gudas, but at this rate I'll take any warm body that's actually half decent, position be damned. Since Montour can play LD, I thought Holl could work since he'd probably be cheap to acquire.

I agree that Hornqvist will be costly to move, but to the right team I think a 2023 2nd could work (as several other people have mentioned). I think it's possible to run a 20-man roster with Duclair on LTIR, so we have time to work out the best possible deal for moving him. Either way, I imagine he'll be gone, but I'm not Bill Zito so who knows at this point?

I'm not super high on Levtchi, but he was the leading scorer in Finland's top league, so there's potential (I also heard that Barkov personally scouted him?). He could easily have good chemistry with either Lundell or Barkov, so I chucked him in there to fill in a roster spot while Duclair is injured.
    TheRealisticGuy liked this.
    Aug. 12, 2022 at 2:17 p.m.
    Bruh
    Quoting: GiggywithGibby
    Hornqvist dump will likely cost a 2023 2nd round pick. We can send a warm body back over such as Grant (would retain on him because why not, its 750k) or Carrick, but we wouldn't send anyone young or good unless we get market rate for them on top of the dump, and it would be a steep price because he is fitting into our rebuild time/plan perfectly.

I was thinking a 2nd as well. Don't necessarily need a player back, though. At least not the way I've worked things out.
    Aug. 12, 2022 at 2:19 p.m.
    Bruh
    Quoting: RaZZe
    The Panthers could also become cap compliant by moving Montour for a cheaper defenseman. I'm thinking Carson Soucy.

I'd say Soucy and Montour are on par with each other. Montour has a year more on his contract so Seattle would get more contract clarity by acquiring him.

However, that would only make the Panthers cap compliant until Duclair comes back

That's very true, and I wish they'd done that before free-agency began. But Zito had other plans. Since he's stuck around this long, I feel like Zito wants to keep him. Personally, I think his offense was really solid and his underlying numbers aren't terrible, so I would love to move him because I think we could potentially get a much better return than just Soucy. But again, I have a gut feeling that Zito wants to stick with his early acquisitions (Monty, Swaggy, Duke, etc).
    TheRealisticGuy and RaZZe liked this.
    Aug. 12, 2022 at 2:26 p.m.
    Habs4Ever
    Quoting: AleksanderBruhkov
    Personally I'd like to have a LD to pair with Ekblad so Forsling can play with Gudas, but at this rate I'll take any warm body that's actually half decent, position be damned. Since Montour can play LD, I thought Holl could work since he'd probably be cheap to acquire.

I agree that Hornqvist will be costly to move, but to the right team I think a 2023 2nd could work (as several other people have mentioned). I think it's possible to run a 20-man roster with Duclair on LTIR, so we have time to work out the best possible deal for moving him. Either way, I imagine he'll be gone, but I'm not Bill Zito so who knows at this point?

I'm not super high on Levtchi, but he was the leading scorer in Finland's top league, so there's potential (I also heard that Barkov personally scouted him?). He could easily have good chemistry with either Lundell or Barkov, so I chucked him in there to fill in a roster spot while Duclair is injured.

Pacioretty + a young RHD for nothing
    Nemeth costed two 2nd round picks to dump and he was making 2.5M (for 2 years tho)
    Petry traded for nothing and we had to take Matheson contract
    A 2nd seems like a weak return for taking Hornqvist cap hit
    Aug. 12, 2022 at 2:34 p.m.
    Quoting: Salzy

I’d honestly say more like a mid-1st. He’s panning out perfectly to what the hope/expectation was as a late 1st. So he’s basically a late 1st round pick with none of the risk that he doesn’t pan out. That’s worth more for sure
    Aug. 12, 2022 at 3:36 p.m.
    Bruh
    Quoting: TheRealisticGuy
    Pacioretty + a young RHD for nothing
    Nemeth costed two 2nd round picks to dump and he was making 2.5M (for 2 years tho)
    Petry traded for nothing and we had to take Matheson contract
    A 2nd seems like a weak return for taking Hornqvist cap hit

I wouldn't necessarily use Pacioretty as a basis for trades, since Vegas has notoriously been bad at asset management.
    Nemeth is a good point, but he's also really bad. Hornqvist is actually a good player; so good, in fact, that I do honestly wish we could keep him. He's a good leader, a great net-front presence, solid defensive guy, and he can play up and down the lineup.
    And the Petry - Matheson trade wasn't a cap dump, nor did you "take on" Matheson's contract. He's a good player, as is Petry.

Maybe a 2nd seems cheap, but like I said: for the right team I could see it happening. Worst case, Panthers add a prospect. But Hornqvist has solid value; if we're only asking for FC back, we could definitely move him for a lot cheaper than someone as bad as Nemeth.
    TheRealisticGuy liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll