SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Jack Hughes or Elias Pettersson

Better player?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 18, 2022 at 10:57 a.m.

BigBallsBriere, Tintin, justaBoss and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 18, 2022 at 11:22 a.m.
Respect Mike Grier
I would've never guessed this is then most controversial topic in Hockey
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Aug. 18, 2022 at 11:42 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: justaBoss
Interesting poll.

My short answer to the question of who is the better player:

It's Jack Hughes in my opinion.

My long answer to the question is based on 3 parts.

1. Jack Hughes' career trajectory is and has been upwards throughout his career. We're talking about a 21-year old center who is widely considered as a top15 center in the league already, and one potentially able to reach the top5. Some people have shown here that aside from his rookie year, his offensive contribution is the same or better as MacKinnon had at the same stage of his career.

This has not been the case with Elias Pettersson. Pettersson's two first years in the league were absolutely amazing, but after that he hasn't been able to reach the same level. There's a plethora of reasons for this starting from covid and different injury challenges, but ultimately Pettersson's career trajectory is not looking similar. He's trending downwards from his rookie year. Sure, he's still relatively young too, being 24 at the season start, and can and probably will bounce back, which he partly did last year at the end of it. Still, before his injury Hughes was easily the top performer in New Jersey, meanwhile Pettersson, who is supposed to be Vancouver's clear cut 1C, ultimately ended up trailing by 30 points to their 2C.

2. Jack Hughes' two way game is pretty underrated actually. This was the best shown during 2020-21 season where he started to find his game in the league, as shown by the charts put under there, and 2021-22 when he took the step forward in terms of offensive contribution, by no means he turned bad defensively. Some people have claimed here Pettersson to contribute more defensively, but at least based on evolving-hockey's model this is not the correct take. Yes, VAN by choice have decided to use Pettersson as a penalty killer, but that doesn't automatically mean he's more adept in defending. It just means that they either don't have a better guy for the role, or that their PK is built in an aggressive way that could use having skilled guys in there. Whatever their thought process were, it hasn't really produced results, given that Vancouver's PK% of 77.1 was the fourth worst league-wide last year.

FZvoy0iXEAIjSvK?format=png&name=medium

FZvo3DaXEAElP7U?format=png&name=medium

3. Quality of team mates. Hughes' immensely good production can also be put to a different light when we look at how the teams have managed. Vancouver has been a fringe playoff team pretty much throughout the time Pettersson has been a part of the team. New Jersey has been a bottom-5 team smack dab in the middle of a rebuild, and still Hughes puts up statistically better results. He also makes players around him better - Jesper Bratt has turned into a bonafide top-6 winger that could challenge to the top line in almost any team in the league. Sharangovich has turned to a solid 2nd line guy as well playing with the guy. Pettersson does play in a better team, and should he be considered better player he should get better results.

Overall, even though of the two I do prefer Hughes, there's nothing to take away from the fact that as a 23, soon to be 24 year old Pettersson has left a mark that is not easy to just ignore. Before the covid break all the things said earlier about Hughes could've easily been applied to Pettersson, other than him having a bad rookie year, because Pettersson's rookie year was absolutely stellar. Pettersson could be, and probably is, a franchise worthy player in his own right, and we have seen glimpses of this. Still, for the question of who I think is better right now, I would have to choose Jack Hughes.

Quoting: Tintin
It's more likely that a significant portion of those giveaways occur upon his entries where possession is briefly lost but quickly regained either within the o zone or the puck is retrieved in the n zone as he retries his entry. See the numbers of entries attempted vs. the rate of entry success vs. recoveries.

Either way, Jack Hughes giveaways are likely on average a non-factor in the outcome of any given game.
Doesn't seem to be anything worthwhile reading anything into.

Quoting: NHLfan10506

“I just don't like hearing takes that don't have a lot of thought put into them“

Enough thoughts Knuckles?
BigBallsBriere and justaBoss liked this.
Aug. 18, 2022 at 11:43 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Aug. 18, 2022 at 3:16 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Devil
Knuckl3s

I guarantee you Pettersson is going to put up better numbers than those projections
Aug. 18, 2022 at 3:16 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
Most Young players don't kill penalties that's why Petey didn't do it in his first few seasons and why Hughes didn't. Sure Petey was great last year under Boudreau he was just over PPG. But me being someone who's played Hockey my entire life I think what Hughes does on the ice is just more impressive.

Petey is still a great player. I think he will be a PPG player for most of his career. I think Hughes will be Well above PPG for most of his career he's 21 and has improved every year if he can just get stronger which there is no reason to believe he can't I think he is a Top 5 Center in the League in two years.

Okay, but HOW is what Hughes does more "impressive" than Petey?
Aug. 18, 2022 at 3:40 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Quoting: Knuckl3s
Okay, but HOW is what Hughes does more "impressive" than Petey?

I think he's a better Skater, Puck skills. He sees the ice well and Consistently is able to move the puck around by himself.
Aug. 18, 2022 at 3:41 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
I think he's a better Skater, Puck skills. He sees the ice well and Consistently is able to move the puck around by himself.

petey is good at these things just I think Hughes is better
Aug. 18, 2022 at 4:07 p.m.
Banned

petey is good at these things just I think Hughes is better

Okay, that's a fair take, but the one aspect of the game I do still believe Petey has over Hughes is defensive awareness
Aug. 18, 2022 at 4:15 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Okay, that's a fair take, but the one aspect of the game I do still believe Petey has over Hughes is defensive awareness

Defensive awareness….

Imagine comparing their defensive awareness to show who’s better 😂
Aug. 18, 2022 at 4:41 p.m.
Banned
Certified Canucks homer

You're just proving my point
Aug. 18, 2022 at 4:49 p.m.
Banned
Interesting poll.

1. Jack Hughes' career trajectory is and has been upwards throughout his career. We're talking about a 21-year old center who is widely considered as a top15 center in the league already, and one potentially able to reach the top5. Some people have shown here that aside from his rookie year, his offensive contribution is the same or better as MacKinnon had at the same stage of his career.

This has not been the case with Elias Pettersson. Pettersson's two first years in the league were absolutely amazing, but after that he hasn't been able to reach the same level. There's a plethora of reasons for this starting from covid and different injury challenges, but ultimately Pettersson's career trajectory is not looking similar. He's trending downwards from his rookie year. Sure, he's still relatively young too, being 24 at the season start, and can and probably will bounce back, which he partly did last year at the end of it. Still, before his injury Hughes was easily the top performer in New Jersey, meanwhile Pettersson, who is supposed to be Vancouver's clear cut 1C, ultimately ended up trailing by 30 points to their 2C.

2. Jack Hughes' two way game is pretty underrated actually. This was the best shown during 2020-21 season where he started to find his game in the league, as shown by the charts put under there, and 2021-22 when he took the step forward in terms of offensive contribution, by no means he turned bad defensively. Some people have claimed here Pettersson to contribute more defensively, but at least based on evolving-hockey's model this is not the correct take. Yes, VAN by choice have decided to use Pettersson as a penalty killer, but that doesn't automatically mean he's more adept in defending. It just means that they either don't have a better guy for the role, or that their PK is built in an aggressive way that could use having skilled guys in there. Whatever their thought process were, it hasn't really produced results, given that Vancouver's PK% of 77.1 was the fourth worst league-wide last year.

3. Quality of team mates. Hughes' immensely good production can also be put to a different light when we look at how the teams have managed. Vancouver has been a fringe playoff team pretty much throughout the time Pettersson has been a part of the team. New Jersey has been a bottom-5 team smack dab in the middle of a rebuild, and still Hughes puts up statistically better results. He also makes players around him better - Jesper Bratt has turned into a bonafide top-6 winger that could challenge to the top line in almost any team in the league. Sharangovich has turned to a solid 2nd line guy as well playing with the guy. Pettersson does play in a better team, and should he be considered better player he should get better results.

Overall, even though of the two I do prefer Hughes, there's nothing to take away from the fact that as a 23, soon to be 24 year old Pettersson has left a mark that is not easy to just ignore. Before the covid break all the things said earlier about Hughes could've easily been applied to Pettersson, other than him having a bad rookie year, because Pettersson's rookie year was absolutely stellar. Pettersson could be, and probably is, a franchise worthy player in his own right, and we have seen glimpses of this. Still, for the question of who I think is better right now, I would have to choose Jack Hughes.

I don't disagree for a second that Jack Hughes is the better of the two RIGHT NOW, but over the long-term, I could see this poll going either way. I'm sure Pettersson is gonna bounce back next season, he isn't actually regressing from his rookie form, and he's going to put up a far superior statistical season next year to where his stats lie after the season he just had
Aug. 18, 2022 at 4:53 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
I don't disagree for a second that Jack Hughes is the better of the two RIGHT NOW, but over the long-term, I could see this poll going either way. I'm sure Pettersson is gonna bounce back next season, he isn't actually regressing from his rookie form, and he's going to put up a far superior statistical season next year to where his stats lie after the season he just had

Hughes is better at 20 years old than Pettersson is at 23 years old
Hughes has more potential Canucks homer. Make a poll asking who will be better in the future.
Aug. 18, 2022 at 4:54 p.m.
Banned
Hughes is better at 20 years old than Pettersson is at 23 years old
Hughes has more potential Canucks homer. Make a poll asking who will be better in the future.

I just laid out my claims and all you can do is throw insults
Aug. 18, 2022 at 4:55 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
I just laid out my claims and all you can do is throw insults

And your claims were disproven or biased
Aug. 18, 2022 at 5:05 p.m.
Banned
And your claims were disproven or biased

No they weren't. Yours were
Aug. 18, 2022 at 5:21 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
No they weren't. Yours were

Which of my claims were disproven? Go on
Aug. 18, 2022 at 5:52 p.m.

It’s funny, I think Pettersson is better now but Hughes will be better long term
BigBallsBriere and Juiceman liked this.
Aug. 19, 2022 at 2:49 a.m.
Banned
Which of my claims were disproven? Go on

That defensive play is irrelevant when comparing talent, when you said that it sounded like you were saying so just to forward your homer agenda
Aug. 19, 2022 at 2:51 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
It’s funny, I think Pettersson is better now but Hughes will be better long term

And I'm not here invalidate such an opinion, because I agree, there is a legitimate possibility that both players careers play out in such a way, I just think it's too early to say for sure one way or the other
Aug. 19, 2022 at 11:55 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
This thread never specified whether we are comparing our potential, or current status
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Aug. 20, 2022 at 12:00 a.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Elias Pettersson is the better player right now. No debate. Will Hughes be better in the future? Very very very possible. Both players are still under 23 so determining their entire career paths is just pointless as anything can happen in the next few years
Knuckl3s liked this.
Aug. 20, 2022 at 12:12 a.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Interesting poll.

1.) Would you have considered Hughes a top 15 center last year? He’s definitely an incredible player but I definitely feel like people are getting a little too ahead of themselves after Hughes’ good 49 game run. 49 games. That’s half a season. If we compare Pettersson’s last 40 games to Hughes’, Pettersson was better, and put up more points.

2.) Hughes was analytically atrocious when he first entered in the league. He got a lot better but there is no question that Pettersson is better defensively at the moment. Using Vancouver’s PK% to determine EP’s penalty killing is not fair considering he only started near the end of the year. The PK got significantly better when Bruce took over and put EP on the penalty kill. We were on pace for having the worst PK in the history of the NHL, and the team still somehow pulled through and finished with above a 75% PK. Whatever Bruce was doing, it clearly worked. The PK under Travis Green was straight up atrocious.

3.) while the Canucks have been a better team that the Devils, it’s not like the Canucks have been good. In his rookie year, Pettersson was consistent glued together with line mates such as: Loui Eriksson, Nikolai Goldobin, Jake Virtanen, all of whom are AHL caliber players. With Travis Green in recent couple years, our lines would stay the same for about 15 minutes until they were mixed again so it’s really hard to talk about Pettersson’s linemates.

Overall, there should be no doubt that Pettersson is the better player AT THE MOMENT. I think Hughes has a very good chance of surpassing Pettersson is the very near future but Pettersson has simply shown a lot more currently. Even Hughes’ magical 49 game run this season is overshadowed by Pettersson’s amazing 40 game run where he put up 49 points compared to Hughes, 56 in 49.
Knuckl3s liked this.
Aug. 20, 2022 at 1:14 p.m.
Quoting: Juiceman
Elias Pettersson is the better player right now. No debate. Will Hughes be better in the future? Very very very possible. Both players are still under 23 so determining their entire career paths is just pointless as anything can happen in the next few years

I think people viewed the poll as who is better right now. And more that 2/3rds answered correctly.

Hughes was the better player last season offensively.

2021-22

Hughes: 49 GP, 26 goals, 30 assists, 56 points (1.14 ppg)
Pettersson: 80 GP, 32 goals, 36 assists, 68 points (0.85 ppg)

2021-22 Even-Strength

Hughes: 49 GP, 20 goals, 22 assists, 42 points (0.86 ppg)
Pettersson: 80 GP, 20 goals, 19 assists, 39 points (0.49 ppg)

If if you adjust for age, Hughes has produced more that Pettersson.
Pettersson started his career at 19 years, 325 days old. Hughes had played 96 games in NHL by that point.
Hughes played his last game at 20 years, 324 days old.

If you compare apples-to-apples

Age 19y, 325d through 20y, 324d

Hughes: 70 GP, 30 goals, 41 assists, 71 points (1.01 ppg)
Pettersson: 72 GP, 28 goals, 38 assists, 66 points (0.92 ppg)

Age 19y, 325d through 20y, 324d at Even Strength

Hughes: 70 GP, 24 goals, 30 assists, 54 points (0.77 ppg)
Pettersson: 72 GP, 18 goals, 26 assists, 44 points (0.61 ppg)

Saying Pettersson is better than Hughes "without a doubt" or "no question" seems like a stretch.
Aug. 20, 2022 at 1:23 p.m.
Also, Devils fans see a lot of people that continue to bring up Hughes' age-18 season as evidence that he is overrated or a bust.

Should have he been in NHL? Fair question as he was probably 150 lbs soaking wet and probably would have been better off in NCAA for a year (as he suggested later)

But it tells us very little about what Hughes is today....or what he will become.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit