Forums/Armchair-GM

Top 20 Defensemen

Created by: cMac73
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 12, 2022
Published: Aug. 12, 2022
Team: 2022-23 Custom Team
Team Explanation
Honorable Mentions on LTIR. I’m not naming every other decent defenseman, just the guys who could have made the list.

Also this list heavily depends on 2-way play.
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$82,500,000$150,830,666$0$850,000-$68,330,666
Left WingCenterRight Wing
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the COL
Makar, Cale
$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 5
Logo of the NYR
Fox, Adam
$9,500,000
RD
UFA - 7
Logo of the NSH
Josi, Roman
$9,059,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
Logo of the TBL
Hedman, Victor
$7,875,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the BOS
McAvoy, Charlie
$9,500,000
RD
UFA - 8
Logo of the CAR
Slavin, Jaccob
$5,300,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the PIT
Letang, Kris
$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
Logo of the FLA
Ekblad, Aaron
$7,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 3
Logo of the DAL
Heiskanen, Miro
$8,450,000
LD/RD
UFA - 7
Logo of the DET
Seider, Moritz
$863,333
RD
RFA - 2
Logo of the VAN
Hughes, Quinn
$7,850,000
LD
UFA - 5
Logo of the VGK
Theodore, Shea
$5,200,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the NJD
Hamilton, Dougie
$9,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
Logo of the VGK
Pietrangelo, Alex
$8,800,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the OTT
Chabot, Thomas
$8,000,000
LD
UFA - 6
Logo of the TOR
Rielly, Morgan
$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
Logo of the CBJ
Werenski, Zachary
$9,583,333
LD
UFA - 6
Logo of the WSH
Carlson, John
$8,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the NYR
Trouba, Jacob
$8,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the NYI
Pelech, Adam
$5,750,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 7
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the CGY
Weegar, MacKenzie
$3,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the CGY
Andersson, Rasmus
$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 4
Logo of the BUF
Dahlin, Rasmus
$6,000,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
Logo of the COL
Toews, Devon
$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 2
Logo of the EDM
Nurse, Darnell
$9,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 12 at 11:47 p.m.
I’d argue Hughes > Hamilton and maybe Seider but the Seider part may just be personal preference/ bias
Aug. 12 at 11:49 p.m.
I've said this before, I'll say it again. If you're putting stock into the defensive aspect of the game, Josi should not be that high. Roman Josi's underlying numbers defensively are hot garbage. Offensively, he's a monster. But in his own end he is just not good.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 12 at 11:50 p.m.
Sway4Vezina
Quoting: Warpbox
I’d argue Hughes > Hamilton and maybe Seider but the Seider part may just be personal preference/ bias

I was just going to lower Hamilton. I knew some kind of comment like that was coming.
Warpbox liked this.
Aug. 12 at 11:53 p.m.
Love seeing the price tags of every single D and then looking at Seider lol. 4M, 9M, 6M, 5M, 7M, 8M, 900k, 6M, 9M. SY better have the check book ready in two years.
Aug. 12 at 11:56 p.m.
Sway4Vezina
Quoting: Caniac2000
I've said this before, I'll say it again. If you're putting stock into the defensive aspect of the game, Josi should not be that high. Roman Josi's underlying numbers defensively are hot garbage. Offensively, he's a monster. But in his own end he is just not good.

With his points this year and his good resume, he had to be top 5, but I just think Hedman is overrated. He gets saved for all his mis passes by his stacked team. He gets all the recognition for winning 2 cups, his great offensive ability, and all the goals he scores. And then he gets all the credit defensively from his occasional great poke check or whatever it may be even though he is inconsistent on defense. And I’d be called bias putting McAvoy ahead of Josi, plus I wouldn’t do that. I still think Josi’s great.
Aug. 12 at 11:57 p.m.
Aka FaulkmyDzingel
I’m so confused by this. You’re saying you want guys who are two way dmen. Good in all situations. And you leave out Doughty. And have someone like Hughes? Carlson? Josi? Hamilton?
CD282 liked this.
Aug. 12 at 11:57 p.m.
Sway4Vezina
Edited Aug. 13 at 12:32 a.m.
Quoting: CoachCoach
Love seeing the price tags of every single D and then looking at Seider lol. 4M, 9M, 6M, 5M, 7M, 8M, 900k, 6M, 9M. SY better have the check book ready in two years.

Seider is very great already. Could get 8 million+ depending on his next contract.
CoachCoach liked this.
Aug. 13 at 12:02 a.m.
Sway4Vezina
Quoting: DrDinkiee
I’m so confused by this. You’re saying you want guys who are two way dmen. Good in all situations. And you leave out Doughty. And have someone like Hughes? Carlson? Josi? Hamilton?

Carlson, Hughes, and Josi all have offense good enough to land them on the list. Carlson’s been doing it for years, putting up lots of points and goals, though I’m not a fan of his game. Hughes faired very well last year on a questionable defense with questionable partners. He’s not bad defensively. And Josi put up 96 points. Doughty puts up less points than these guys and is worse defensively. Though he is not too far off from say Carlson at the bottom of the list.
Aug. 13 at 12:02 a.m.
This is really solid. Obviously some things I would change but with a list this big it’s impossible to please everyone
Aug. 13 at 12:23 a.m.
JBITBPITNHL
Pretty solid list. The main issue I have with it is Trouba. I don't see him being top 20
rookescr96 and Islesforthecup liked this.
Aug. 13 at 12:46 a.m.
rookescr96

Yes I agree Josi might not be the best defensively but you have to put equal weight into his offensive numbers. Other than Makar I don't think theres any defenseman that could put up 96 points in a season. So yes you have to dock him for not being great defensively but you can't put a purely shutdown guy ahead of Josi because there are more guy's that can play defense than guy's that can put up 96 points as a defenseman.
Aug. 13 at 12:47 a.m.
rookescr96
Pretty good list overall, personally I wouldn't have Trouba in there and probably would have Nurse but overall pretty good.
Aug. 13 at 12:58 a.m.
I may be biased but if youre talking 2 way play wheres pulock? Also rielly? Hes a massive liability defensively, like literally in the 1st percentile in 5v5 defensive war. And dahlin is also not good defensively at all. Like i get josi and hughes at least their offense makes up for it but those 2 should certainly not be on a 2 way defenseman list.
Aug. 13 at 2:01 a.m.
Quoting: rookescr96
Yes I agree Josi might not be the best defensively but you have to put equal weight into his offensive numbers. Other than Makar I don't think theres any defenseman that could put up 96 points in a season. So yes you have to dock him for not being great defensively but you can't put a purely shutdown guy ahead of Josi because there are more guy's that can play defense than guy's that can put up 96 points as a defenseman.

I disagree. I think it's harder to play defense at an elite level in this league. I might be a little biased, but I'd rather have Slavin than Josi. I think the gap between them defensively is worse than the gap between them offensively. Josi is not an NHL player in his own zone. He's that bad. I find him to be so overrated for someone that is literally one of the worst dudes in the league in his own end
Aug. 13 at 2:03 a.m.
Quoting: cMac73
Carlson, Hughes, and Josi all have offense good enough to land them on the list. Carlson’s been doing it for years, putting up lots of points and goals, though I’m not a fan of his game. Hughes faired very well last year on a questionable defense with questionable partners. He’s not bad defensively. And Josi put up 96 points. Doughty puts up less points than these guys and is worse defensively. Though he is not too far off from say Carlson at the bottom of the list.

Josi is WAY worse defensively than Doughty. Josi is one of the worst players in the NHL in his own end from the analytical perspective. Like, he's not replacement level. He's not good enough to be a replacement level defenseman in his own zone. I'll die on this hill. He's an offensive monster, but as a defenseman, that part of the game should always come second.
Aug. 13 at 10:08 a.m.
rookescr96
I disagree. I think it's harder to play defense at an elite level in this league. I might be a little biased, but I'd rather have Slavin than Josi. I think the gap between them defensively is worse than the gap between them offensively. Josi is not an NHL player in his own zone. He's that bad. I find him to be so overrated for someone that is literally one of the worst dudes in the league in his own end

Slavin is probably the best comparable. Josi is elite offensively and Slavin is elite defensively. But here's my question. Would you rather have Slavin put up 50-60 points per year (higher than he does right now) by taking more chances offensively which can lead to worse defense. Or would you rather him put up 40 points every year and be solid defensively.

Same idea with Josi, i'm sure Josi could put up average defensive numbers in his own end, but he would be taking way less offensive chances and only scoring 60 points per season. But when he plays his offensive style he get's to put up 90 points per year.

Honestly other than a guy like Makar, in my mind elite offense or elite defense comes with the price of loosing offense or loosing defense. You can be average or good at both just hard to be elite at both.
Aug. 13 at 10:30 a.m.
Sway4Vezina
Quoting: Islesforthecup
I may be biased but if youre talking 2 way play wheres pulock? Also rielly? Hes a massive liability defensively, like literally in the 1st percentile in 5v5 defensive war. And dahlin is also not good defensively at all. Like i get josi and hughes at least their offense makes up for it but those 2 should certainly not be on a 2 way defenseman list.

I’m not doing just pure two way game but guys like Rielly aren’t playing sheltered minutes at all. He’s the leafs number one dman, and puts up good results and good offense.
Aug. 13 at 10:33 a.m.
Sway4Vezina
Josi is WAY worse defensively than Doughty. Josi is one of the worst players in the NHL in his own end from the analytical perspective. Like, he's not replacement level. He's not good enough to be a replacement level defenseman in his own zone. I'll die on this hill. He's an offensive monster, but as a defenseman, that part of the game should always come second.

His offense far out weighs his defense in this situation. I guess he may be bad defensively, but he is great at breaking out the puck and putting up points and goals.
Aug. 13 at 10:49 a.m.
Slavin is probably the best comparable. Josi is elite offensively and Slavin is elite defensively. But here's my question. Would you rather have Slavin put up 50-60 points per year (higher than he does right now) by taking more chances offensively which can lead to worse defense. Or would you rather him put up 40 points every year and be solid defensively.

Same idea with Josi, i'm sure Josi could put up average defensive numbers in his own end, but he would be taking way less offensive chances and only scoring 60 points per season. But when he plays his offensive style he get's to put up 90 points per year.

Honestly other than a guy like Makar, in my mind elite offense or elite defense comes with the price of loosing offense or loosing defense. You can be average or good at both just hard to be elite at both.

I'd rather have the defensive stability. Elite defensive D men are so rare in this sport that I'd rather have the guy that puts up 40 points a year and doesn't give up anything than the guy that scores 80 points a year and is a net negative on the ice analytically due to how bad he is defensively. Makar is also not elite defensively. He's a 4th forward. His defensive numbers while above replacement and certainly useful, are not anywhere near elite.
Aug. 13 at 10:51 a.m.
His offense far out weighs his defense in this situation. I guess he may be bad defensively, but he is great at breaking out the puck and putting up points and goals.

Major disagree. His shambolic defending makes him a net negative from an analytical standpoint. He's directly responsible for 133% xGA compared to xGF. He's a net negative. Josi is one of the best OFFENSIVE defensemen in the league. Fine. But his AWFUL defending far outweighs his offense in this situation
Aug. 13 at 10:57 a.m.
Sway4Vezina
I'd rather have the defensive stability. Elite defensive D men are so rare in this sport that I'd rather have the guy that puts up 40 points a year and doesn't give up anything than the guy that scores 80 points a year and is a net negative on the ice analytically due to how bad he is defensively. Makar is also not elite defensively. He's a 4th forward. His defensive numbers while above replacement and certainly useful, are not anywhere near elite.

Who else is elite defensively? I’m hoping you say McAvoy.
Aug. 13 at 11:01 a.m.
rookescr96

Then yes that is just an agree to disagree it's just the choice between choosing elite defensively vs elite offensively. My only point is that Josi is just as good offensively as Slavin is defensively.
Aug. 13 at 11:26 a.m.
Who else is elite defensively? I’m hoping you say McAvoy.

McAvoy is. Slavin. Others include Hedman, Weegar, Toews
cMac73 liked this.
Aug. 13 at 11:27 a.m.
Then yes that is just an agree to disagree it's just the choice between choosing elite defensively vs elite offensively. My only point is that Josi is just as good offensively as Slavin is defensively.

You could make that argument. But I think Slavin is better offensively than Josi is defensively, and that is why I'd rather have Slavin than Josi.
rookescr96 liked this.
Aug. 13 at 5:38 p.m.
I’m not doing just pure two way game but guys like Rielly aren’t playing sheltered minutes at all. He’s the leafs number one dman, and puts up good results and good offense.

I mean jfresh says rielly is in the 34th percentile in overall war. Thats not good at all. On the other hand pulock is in the 91st percentile in war.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll