Trades
MTL
  1. Marchessault, Jonathan
  2. Roy, Nicolas
  3. 2023 1st round pick (VGK)
VGK
  1. Allen, Jake
  2. Dach, Kirby [RFA Rights]
  3. Drouin, Jonathan ($2,750,000 retained)
  4. Ylönen, Jesse
MTL
  1. Lindström, Gustav
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (DET)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,367,500$73,484,166$1,132,500$4,350,000$7,883,334
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 8
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 3
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$1,450,000$1,450,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 5
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 3
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$900,000$900,000
LD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 14, 2022 at 4:15 a.m.
GM
Well VGK are daft enough to do something like that, I give you that at least
Aug. 14, 2022 at 4:21 a.m.
Le patriote
Quoting: AG_sweden
Well VGK are daft enough to do something like that, I give you that at least

Dach is a gamble in the city of gambling so I guess yeah they are daft enough to do such!
AG_sweden liked this.
Aug. 14, 2022 at 4:26 a.m.
GM
Quoting: habitantlecolon
Dach is a gamble in the city of gambling so I guess yeah they are daft enough to do such!

I would say Allen and Drouin is a gamble too. Allen less of a gamble than Drouin but still a gamble. I am also very unsure of what kind of a player they have in Ylönen as well.

But hey, lady luck right? smile
Aug. 14, 2022 at 4:33 a.m.
Le patriote
I would say Allen and Drouin is a gamble too. Allen less of a gamble than Drouin but still a gamble. I am also very unsure of what kind of a player they have in Ylönen as well.

But hey, lady luck right? smile

Drouin when healthy is a 60 pts producer Allen is a great back up goalie the fact that both have only one year gave Vegas give future cap space too ... Ylonen is nhl ready but we are stack on the right side. He is a good 2 way player with a great shot.
Aug. 14, 2022 at 4:42 a.m.
GM
Drouin when healthy is a 60 pts producer Allen is a great back up goalie the fact that both have only one year gave Vegas give future cap space too ... Ylonen is nhl ready but we are stack on the right side. He is a good 2 way player with a great shot.

Drouin when healthy, which he hasn't been a lot in his career. And took a quite long break from hockey due to "personal reasons" sounds like a gamble too me.
Allen is a great backup, but it is a gamble because he would probably need to be a first or at least 50-50 the spot with Thompson.
I am not that sure about Ylönen still, but yeah maybe in VGK he can crack the lineup.

While MTL getting very stable forwards in return. You know exactly what both of them brings to the table. And if VGK gamble doesn't pan out that 2023 first will look really sweet.
I am only pointing out the gamble for VGK that is all I am doing smile
Aug. 14, 2022 at 5:57 a.m.
Mr.
You guys are blockheads lmfao. Vegas declines a thousand times over. Drouin hasn't been healthy since 2018, Kirby Dach is a gamble and both Thompson and Brossoit are literally better than Allen. Gtfo of here with that garbage.
Aug. 14, 2022 at 5:58 a.m.
ForeignObjects316
VGK is in a place where they need 5m cap space
Even with Lehner and Patrick on LTIR they've only got 750k-1m with only 19/23 players signed
Thats with no Goalie Replacement to

If anything they're in a Pacioretty /MAF situation again where they have no leverage giving up or paying to move great talent to be cap complient.
I see it more like Karlsson and a 2nd(or Primeau) to MTL for Allen at 50% RS and Evans
Takes care of VGK needs while costing them 2.135m vs 5.9m they currently pay Karlsson giving VGK 3.765m free this year , 4.2m the next 2 then 5.9m the final year
Should be just barely enough to be roster compliant anyways but ideally they'd want to move Martinez to give themselves a real chance which is a hard sell given his consistent injuries increasing more and more the older he gets. Hard finding teams today but next year in his last year of his deal it should be easier.

MTL will be getting an overpaid center true
But he actually fits our systems needs and could end up Centering Slavkovsky and Anderson(Ylonen or Mesar eventually)
MTL can rebound his value for 3 years while rebuilding and selling off other pieces along the way
Then trade Karlsson at the TDL before he becomes a UFA
Aug. 14, 2022 at 6:06 a.m.
ForeignObjects316
Quoting: Ploppz
You guys are blockheads lmfao. Vegas declines a thousand times over. Drouin hasn't been healthy since 2018, Kirby Dach is a gamble and both Thompson and Brossoit are literally better than Allen. Gtfo of here with that garbage.

Healthier then Martinez
Most of Drouins biggest issues of concern stem from playing here
If he was on any other team i doubt he sits out a SCF run due to stress
That year only Danault and Drouin were fielding French Questions and you'd figure they'd be nicer to those two right?
Thats sadly not what happened and even Danault was saying what a relief it is to just be able to play hockey because in an
English Market he's just one of many players but in Quebec if you speak French even if you're a 4th line player you're doing press like you're Crosby

That said i'm not thinking VGK is any better fit for that reason
If Drouin's to go to a team it has to be like EDM , PIT ,WSH ,ext where he's just one of many talented guys
Like Kessel you can play him more as one of your top stars and he'll succeed while the team fails
Or you can put him in a 3rd line and Special Teams role and he can be one of the team leaders in points.

I think MSL is smart enough to play him at 3rd in his wheel house
But time will tell on that one
Aug. 14, 2022 at 6:41 a.m.
Le patriote
Quoting: Ploppz

poor one always trowing garbage at everyone ... boohoo. I guess few people might understand that nhler are no where near the usual garbage keyboard warrior we face on the net !!
Aug. 14, 2022 at 7:59 a.m.
ForeignObjects316
Drouin when healthy, which he hasn't been a lot in his career. And took a quite long break from hockey due to "personal reasons" sounds like a gamble too me.
Allen is a great backup, but it is a gamble because he would probably need to be a first or at least 50-50 the spot with Thompson.
I am not that sure about Ylönen still, but yeah maybe in VGK he can crack the lineup.

While MTL getting very stable forwards in return. You know exactly what both of them brings to the table. And if VGK gamble doesn't pan out that 2023 first will look really sweet.
I am only pointing out the gamble for VGK that is all I am doing smile

The irony is if you look at his Playoff production the years he was injured and came back he lit it up
It the years he was there 70-80 games in which there was 0 pts scored by him missing 5/8 years (4/5 were full seasons)

Moral of the story is learn from Phil Kessel Effect in PIT
They took a legit top 6 guy everyone knew was good
They put him on 3rd line with Crosby leading 1st and Malkin leading 2nd
HBK line out produced eveyone in the the playoffs that year and almost the next year too
Then he went to ARZ and back up in the top 6 which worked great for him didnt it lol

Drouin's a 3rd line & PP1 players pure and simple
You want him as fresh as can be so he can take advantage of tired players
Thats where his value is

Its why im excited to see what MSL does with him
I know he kept Dvorak on 3rd C and Evans on 4th C putting Pitlcik at 2nd C(said post game "if we cant win faceoffs anyways put in a guy who wins the puck battles and possession")
My point is its worth iwaiting to see how he plays under MSL first before making huge changes
Aug. 14, 2022 at 9:48 a.m.
This trade doesn’t make Vegas better and Montreal shouldn’t be moving prospects in general. Overall it doesn’t make sense. My counter is:
Marchessault + Brossoit (0.5 retained) for Hoffman + Allen
Aug. 14, 2022 at 9:53 a.m.
Quoting: Billy316
VGK is in a place where they need 5m cap space
Even with Lehner and Patrick on LTIR they've only got 750k-1m with only 19/23 players signed
Thats with no Goalie Replacement to

If anything they're in a Pacioretty /MAF situation again where they have no leverage giving up or paying to move great talent to be cap complient.
I see it more like Karlsson and a 2nd(or Primeau) to MTL for Allen at 50% RS and Evans
Takes care of VGK needs while costing them 2.135m vs 5.9m they currently pay Karlsson giving VGK 3.765m free this year , 4.2m the next 2 then 5.9m the final year
Should be just barely enough to be roster compliant anyways but ideally they'd want to move Martinez to give themselves a real chance which is a hard sell given his consistent injuries increasing more and more the older he gets. Hard finding teams today but next year in his last year of his deal it should be easier.

MTL will be getting an overpaid center true
But he actually fits our systems needs and could end up Centering Slavkovsky and Anderson(Ylonen or Mesar eventually)
MTL can rebound his value for 3 years while rebuilding and selling off other pieces along the way
Then trade Karlsson at the TDL before he becomes a UFA

Except we don’t need cap space anymore. Putting Weber and Lehner on LTIR is more than enough room.
Aug. 14, 2022 at 10:07 a.m.
arky
Every team easily declines.

Vegas can do so much better with that pa kage.
Wings have no use for Dadonov, leat alone give up a pick and a prospect

What is that Nashville trade? They will will not want Hoffman let alone give up that.

You give up a contract and a good prospect for a 1st and a good player, Dallas say no thanks
aedoran liked this.
Aug. 14, 2022 at 10:29 a.m.
Dr
Stars decline
No need to take on more cap. Dump Faksa for a pick instead. Bring up Dellandrea and save roughly 2.5 mil

Nill would find something better to trade his first round pick for, if he even trades it away.

A RHD prospect thats a year or two away would be better. No need for Norlinder.
Stars have Harley, Bichsel and Grushnikov.
Roxyrooo liked this.
Aug. 14, 2022 at 10:53 a.m.
None of the non Montreal teams consider that. Vegas wants to win now and that package makes them worse.
Detroit doesn't need anymore wingers and especially at the cost of a very good defensive RHD who looks to be a perfect fit for our third pairing. No idea how Detroit even adds a pick in this situation. If you want Lindstrom for Dadonov we would expect at least Montreal's first round pick coming back other wise it is just not worth it for us.
Nashville would at least need a first + back to consider that.
Dallas is not going to pay a first to take on more cap.
aedoran, mikearky, Billy316 and 3 others liked this.
Aug. 14, 2022 at 10:55 a.m.
I can't see Detroit giving up Lindstrom or a 3rd for 1 season of a 33yr old winger. The is almost a 10yr gap between Lindstrom and Dadonov and that alone takes Lindstrom off the table. Detroit more than likely isn't making the playoffs this season and will probably retire before Detroit actually starts to contend. So from Detroit pov Dadonov is basically a cap dump.
mikearky and Billy12Bob liked this.
Aug. 14, 2022 at 1:08 p.m.
Le patriote
Quoting: Knights20
This trade doesn’t make Vegas better and Montreal shouldn’t be moving prospects in general. Overall it doesn’t make sense. My counter is:

can i add Dach and get Roy?
Billy316 liked this.
Aug. 14, 2022 at 6:41 p.m.
ForeignObjects316
Except we don’t need cap space anymore. Putting Weber and Lehner on LTIR is more than enough room.

No its not check again at how many players you have signed without them and you're still over the cap
You're right if you wanted to start the season with 1 goalie and 18 players once you sign Hague

88m
- 7.8 Weber
-5m Lehner
-1.2m Patrick
= 74m/82m cap with 17 players signed.

That's 8m to sign Hague , Replacement Starting Goalie ,and 4 other players
I mean move Karlsson and you can get whomever you want
But given the cap restraints Allen is the best option they got at that cap hit
If you got a better option once you crunch the numbers i'd love to hear it.
But i dont assume i look at the site , confirm it with a calculator then i give my opinion
I openly expect people to call me out and i confidently say "you're on capfriendly see for yourself"
Aug. 14, 2022 at 6:45 p.m.
ForeignObjects316

Wow really , sold
You just gave away a player who alone could land a great package
MTL takes this deal and runs for the hills before the owners catch wind of the deal hahaha
Aug. 14, 2022 at 6:54 p.m.
ForeignObjects316

Dach will make sense very soon in MSL system
2nd line Center is the place MSL breaks in his Centers
1st and 3rd handle bulk faceoffs with 4th handling most of the DZ draws.

2nd Center is mostly for Zone Entry taking a lot of NZ and OZ faceoffs in that order.
Pitlick had like 22 pts i think it was in 35 games under MSL playing 2nd line Center averaging 18-23 minutes a night
The role there is more about Possession and controling the entry then it is about anything else.

Dach actually thrives in this 1 regard something i didnt realize until i read it in The Athletic's rankings of top NHL players stats on these things.
While he sucks at faceoffs his overall analytics as a Center are actually overwhelmingly positive.
That said its all a moot point if he cant atleast hit 44% Faceoff win rate as thats the worse a top 6 NHL center can get away with on a good team.
Get Dach a Andrew Shaw like Philip Danault had helping him rise from fringe 4th line LW beside Mitchell to Desharnais Replacement in more ways then one.
From there Shaw helped propel Danault to top line beside Pacioretty but Danault needed his support still for 1 year so Shaw made top line as well that season.

Look at Danault now and the Center he became and Dach is younger in a similar position coming over from the same team who traded him worried about injuries.(Danaults back was messed up) Point is dont glass half empty his development. Instead find him that Winger who can be his Obi-wan even if he's only a few years older like Landeskog/Mckinnon post Statsny
Aug. 14, 2022 at 10:25 p.m.
No its not check again at how many players you have signed without them and you're still over the cap
You're right if you wanted to start the season with 1 goalie and 18 players once you sign Hague.

88m
- 7.8 Weber
-5m Lehner
-1.2m Patrick
= 74m/82m cap with 17 players signed.

That's 8m to sign Hague , Replacement Starting Goalie ,and 4 other players
I mean move Karlsson and you can get whomever you want
But given the cap restraints Allen is the best option they got at that cap hit
If you got a better option once you crunch the numbers i'd love to hear it.
But i dont assume i look at the site , confirm it with a calculator then i give my opinion
I openly expect people to call me out and i confidently say "you're on capfriendly see for yourself"

Hague is a 2 million dollar player, Brossoit may be healthy to start the season that’s 2.3m if not we have Hutchison that leaves 3.7 which is enough to call up 3 additional players. You said we need to dump 5 million which is not true.
Aug. 14, 2022 at 10:45 p.m.

No and that’s even worse trade for Montreal too. A rebuilding team shouldn’t be trading high potential players for lower potential players just because it’s his hometown team.
Aug. 14, 2022 at 10:58 p.m.
Wow really , sold
You just gave away a player who alone could land a great package
MTL takes this deal and runs for the hills before the owners catch wind of the deal hahaha

I like Marchessault but he just hogs shot attempts and doesn’t bring much defensively. Hoffman is a more efficient shooter and a better skater two things Vegas lacks. Marchessault is terrible on the powerplay and we have enough righties on PP1. The gap between those two is smaller than you think and we get a reliable 1B goalie.
Billy316 liked this.
Aug. 15, 2022 at 4:44 a.m.
ForeignObjects316
I like Marchessault but he just hogs shot attempts and doesn’t bring much defensively. Hoffman is a more efficient shooter and a better skater two things Vegas lacks. Marchessault is terrible on the powerplay and we have enough righties on PP1. The gap between those two is smaller than you think and we get a reliable 1B goalie.

See i value Hoffman for the same reasons so i feel you got a logical approach in your reasoning for the move.
Where you lose me kinda is Marchessault is a great 200ft player who is good defensively just bad at handling multiple people in 2v1,3v1 and even 3v2 assignments.
1 on 1 defensive assignments he's actually pretty good i found in the games vs MTL dating back to FLA days
Plus he's coming off a career high 20 PP points but to your point will likely drop off again as he's largely an even strength player.

I look at Marchessault like JG Pageau or Yanni Gourde just with better and more consistent Goal Scoring
Good 3rd line guy who can play 2nd line as long as he has great chemistry with the guy like he does Reilly Smith
Few in his position as consistent as Marchessault has been so MTL would love to have him as would many teams

Karlsson i just figured is the 4 year 5.9m contract for a player who's consistently declined every years since re-signing .
I dont think he's bad i just think some players need a change for whatever reason, Marchesault needed 2 before he became a consistent player
I think Karlsson would also fit in nicely in MTL to help mentor Dach into a Center of Value in the Faceoff Circle at the very least.

or even Martinez who's been a brick since back to back deep runs his first 2 years
Just surprised Marchesault is the guy you'd wanna move to get Hoffman
We will take it though lol
habitantlecolon and Knights20 liked this.
Aug. 15, 2022 at 10:02 p.m.
See i value Hoffman for the same reasons so i feel you got a logical approach in your reasoning for the move.
Where you lose me kinda is Marchessault is a great 200ft player who is good defensively just bad at handling multiple people in 2v1,3v1 and even 3v2 assignments.
1 on 1 defensive assignments he's actually pretty good i found in the games vs MTL dating back to FLA days
Plus he's coming off a career high 20 PP points but to your point will likely drop off again as he's largely an even strength player.

I look at Marchessault like JG Pageau or Yanni Gourde just with better and more consistent Goal Scoring
Good 3rd line guy who can play 2nd line as long as he has great chemistry with the guy like he does Reilly Smith
Few in his position as consistent as Marchessault has been so MTL would love to have him as would many teams

Karlsson i just figured is the 4 year 5.9m contract for a player who's consistently declined every years since re-signing .
I dont think he's bad i just think some players need a change for whatever reason, Marchesault needed 2 before he became a consistent player
I think Karlsson would also fit in nicely in MTL to help mentor Dach into a Center of Value in the Faceoff Circle at the very least.

or even Martinez who's been a brick since back to back deep runs his first 2 years
Just surprised Marchesault is the guy you'd wanna move to get Hoffman
We will take it though lol

Just trying to facilitate the thread starters proposal he made it quite clear he was interested in acquiring Quebec born players lol. And I wouldn’t trade pieces of our defense to fill our PP hole I’d rather just give Brisson a shot.
As for Karlsson he a solid two way player but because he is very low intensity and was very unlucky in terms of one ice shooting percentage last season it seems like he’s declining but I don’t think he is. His low intersity should actually help him age better.
Marchessault is a surprisingly good puck battler for his size but he’s poor at shutting down plays in transition and it leads to a lot of shots against. His struggles are certainly not because of a lack of effort though. Maybe he’s not terrible defensively but just below average. I’ve actually seen him in person he looks quite strong.
I don’t mean to start an argument btw I probably should have taken your “need” comment less literally.
Billy316 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll