$846,667$846,667
LD
RFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$825,000$825,000
RD
RFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 14, 2022 at 2:38 p.m.
Max would be 16.8 but still a horrible contract lol
Warpbox liked this.
Aug. 14, 2022 at 2:43 p.m.
Quoting: Theozler
Max would be 16.8 but still a horrible contract lol

Thanks, I knew their was a max cap hit % but couldn't find the #, obviously you did the math for me.

So $2 million to spend. horray !
Warpbox and Theozler liked this.
Aug. 14, 2022 at 2:46 p.m.
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
Thanks, I knew their was a max cap hit % but couldn't find the #, obviously you did the math for me.

So $2 million to spend. horray !

Give him the extra 2 he’s earned it
Aug. 14, 2022 at 2:51 p.m.
Banned
With that contract, Matthew’s is netting 8.6m. If arizona for example wants to offer Matthew’s a contract where he nets the same, they’re offering 14.8m AAV. If Matthew’s is getting 18.5m from Toronto, somebody else in the states will offer 15m and get him because he is netting more in America despite it being less money. Calgary offered guadreau 11m, he chose to go to Columbus for 9.75m. Obviously it wasn’t a highest bidder situation but guadreau is netting more playing in Columbus than he would have in Calgary. Face the facts, even if Toronto gives Matthew’s the best offer in terms of AAV, he is still likely leaving because realistically he would be netting more south of the border.
Aug. 14, 2022 at 2:55 p.m.
Banned
But Canadian beer, weed and women are better than American. So he stays !

Real zinger right there. Absolute knee slapper. I am rolling around in laughter.
Aug. 14, 2022 at 2:58 p.m.
Kster
Quoting: Cardiac
With that contract, Matthew’s is netting 8.6m. If arizona for example wants to offer Matthew’s a contract where he nets the same, they’re offering 14.8m AAV. If Matthew’s is getting 18.5m from Toronto, somebody else in the states will offer 15m and get him because he is netting more in America despite it being less money. Calgary offered guadreau 11m, he chose to go to Columbus for 9.75m. Obviously it wasn’t a highest bidder situation but guadreau is netting more playing in Columbus than he would have in Calgary. Face the facts, even if Toronto gives Matthew’s the best offer in terms of AAV, he is still likely leaving because realistically he would be netting more south of the border.

End the debate - Cardiac has chimed in. Now you’re an expert in taxation too tears of joy
Good to know your job hickeyctales are ridiculous too squinty smile
Matthews is well aware that he’s playing for the most popular franchise in The league with the biggest fan base. Organization is first rate and team is top 5. He also can sign lucrative endorsement deals here due to popularity of leaf Nation. Can’t get that in usa except for a handful of teams, none of whom will have space. And lots of states have income tax rates similar to Ontario.
Never say never - players get to make personal choices. but to make blanket statements like you do - laughable
Aug. 14, 2022 at 3:06 p.m.
Quoting: kster34
End the debate - Cardiac has chimed in. Now you’re an expert in taxation too tears of joy
Matthews is well aware that he’s playing for the most popular franchise in The league with the biggest fan base. Organization is first rate and team is top 5. He also can sign lucrative endorsement deals here due to popularity of leaf Nation. Can’t get that in usa except for a handful of teams, none of whom will have space. And lots of states have income tax rates similar to Ontario.
Never say never - players get to make personal choices. but to make blanket statements like you do - laughable

That is true but you don't even need to play in Canada to sign big endorsement deals, look at Crosby and MacKinnon, living and playing in USA and still collecting Canadian endorsements, Now if Matthews moves to the USA, I doubt Canadian endorsements would follow (because he is a born American unlike the other 2 superstars), he'll have to retire before getting the Canadian endorsements back as a "former Leaf Legend" alumni.
Warpbox liked this.
Aug. 14, 2022 at 3:47 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: kster34

I mean there are so many factors that go into a signing. Matthews could get brand deals in America just as easily. Here is an quote from an article that shows Matthew’s brand deals.

“he makes approximately $2.3 million from endorsements alone. He has partnered with high-end brands like Apple, Verizon, Upper Deck, Bauer, Scotia bank, and CCM Hockey. Additionally, he launched his first NFT collection in April 2021 through collaboration with OpenSea.”

Now I don’t know about you but the brands listed are mostly based on the states.

ScotiaBank- based in Toronto
CCM- based in montreal
Bauer- based on New Hampshire
Upper deck- based in California
Verizon- based in NY
Apple- based in California

Matthew’s is also signed by Bet99 (a sports betting company based in Toronto)

The only major brand deals I can see Matthew’s losing if he leaves toronto is scotia bank and Bet99. I don’t know about you but I can see Matthews being scooped up by another sports betting company like draft kings, fan duel, betMGM, or Caesar’s sports book. As for scotia bank, I can easily see another US based company coming in and paying those dollars scotia is paying.

Look I am saying I predict Matthews will leave because of the dollars and the brand deals don’t cover it. I chose his main 7 brand deals and 2 of them he looses if he leaves. It is a personal choice for sure but as an outsider, it makes so much sense for Matthews to leave toronto. No hate there but the numbers talk. Toronto gets screwed by location due to taxes. Matthews is losing out on millions in contract dollars playing in toronto and unlike other sports, that’s a hockey players main source of income. Stars included. Mcdavid makes $4m from brand deals and matthews makes $3.5m himself. Matthews is projected to make $3.7m from his contract this year and mcdavid is projected to make $6.2m from his contract as well.

I am obviously no professional but based on what I know and the research I have done, signs point towards matthews leaving, regardless of brand deals. Two years from now matthews will not be a maple leaf. Like it or not, he will leave Toronto for more money. Say I don’t know anything if you like but I would like you to give me a reason I cannot negate on why matthews will stay.
HOCKEYBOY448 liked this.
Aug. 14, 2022 at 4:01 p.m.
I mean there are so many factors that go into a signing. Matthews could get brand deals in America just as easily. Here is an quote from an article that shows Matthew’s brand deals.

“he makes approximately $2.3 million from endorsements alone. He has partnered with high-end brands like Apple, Verizon, Upper Deck, Bauer, Scotia bank, and CCM Hockey. Additionally, he launched his first NFT collection in April 2021 through collaboration with OpenSea.”

Now I don’t know about you but the brands listed are mostly based on the states.

ScotiaBank- based in Toronto
CCM- based in montreal
Bauer- based on New Hampshire
Upper deck- based in California
Verizon- based in NY
Apple- based in California

Matthew’s is also signed by Bet99 (a sports betting company based in Toronto)

The only major brand deals I can see Matthew’s losing if he leaves toronto is scotia bank and Bet99. I don’t know about you but I can see Matthews being scooped up by another sports betting company like draft kings, fan duel, betMGM, or Caesar’s sports book. As for scotia bank, I can easily see another US based company coming in and paying those dollars scotia is paying.

Look I am saying I predict Matthews will leave because of the dollars and the brand deals don’t cover it. I chose his main 7 brand deals and 2 of them he looses if he leaves. It is a personal choice for sure but as an outsider, it makes so much sense for Matthews to leave toronto. No hate there but the numbers talk. Toronto gets screwed by location due to taxes. Matthews is losing out on millions in contract dollars playing in toronto and unlike other sports, that’s a hockey players main source of income. Stars included. Mcdavid makes $4m from brand deals and matthews makes $3.5m himself. Matthews is projected to make $3.7m from his contract this year and mcdavid is projected to make $6.2m from his contract as well.

I am obviously no professional but based on what I know and the research I have done, signs point towards matthews leaving, regardless of brand deals. Two years from now matthews will not be a maple leaf. Like it or not, he will leave Toronto for more money. Say I don’t know anything if you like but I would like you to give me a reason I cannot negate on why matthews will stay.

If Matthews leaves Toronto, it wouldn't 100% be all about the money. It'll be a personal choice, likely stem by the fact he is an American. Kachuk wanted out of Calgary for the same reason. Not money, mainly his desire to live in the States.

If any American team can step up for him, I'd vote for Vegas, if they can clear up the cap hell they're in before the summer of 2025.

Vegas seems like the perfect place for Matthews.

Maybe Dallas too, not Arizona for sure, unless Bettman lets the Coyotes allow Matthews to be a team owner.
Aug. 14, 2022 at 4:07 p.m.
Banned
If Matthews leaves Toronto, it wouldn't 100% be all about the money. It'll be a personal choice, likely stem by the fact he is an American. Kachuk wanted out of Calgary for the same reason. Not money, mainly his desire to live in the States.

If any American team can step up for him, I'd vote for Vegas, if they can clear up the cap hell they're in before the summer of 2025.

Vegas seems like the perfect place for Matthews.

Maybe Dallas too, not Arizona for sure, unless Bettman lets the Coyotes allow Matthews to be a team owner.

I do think it will partly be money and partly a desire to go to the states. I’m working on a post rn for it but the best suitors for Matthews imo are vegas dallas Seattle and the coyotes. Matthews to AZ makes sense in the same way tkachuk to St Louis made sense. They grew up there and it makes it a more desirable location for them as family and friends are there. Imo Matthews leaving makes financial sense and sense in the fact that he would prefer the states to Canada (no hate to Canada).
Aug. 14, 2022 at 7:48 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I don't know how this makes the Leafs better. Matthews get 11.6m, now and you have getting a 5m raise.

Sorry, with 25m between Nylander and Matthews, think the Leafs have a more balanced lineup.
Aug. 14, 2022 at 7:50 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I do think it will partly be money and partly a desire to go to the states. I’m working on a post rn for it but the best suitors for Matthews imo are vegas dallas Seattle and the coyotes. Matthews to AZ makes sense in the same way tkachuk to St Louis made sense. They grew up there and it makes it a more desirable location for them as family and friends are there. Imo Matthews leaving makes financial sense and sense in the fact that he would prefer the states to Canada (no hate to Canada).

I think Matthews wants to go to a big US market. Arizona and probably Seattle doesn't fit that at all. My opinion he goes to an upcoming LA Kings and will likely have cap Kopitar contract ends when Matthews becomes a UFA.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll