St. Louis:

1. Torey Krug - Justin Falk
2. Nick Leddy - Colton Parayko
3. Marco Scandella/Niko Mikkola/Scott Perunovich - Robert Bortuzzo

Vancouver:

1. Quinn Hughes - Luke Schenn
2. Oliver Ekman-Larsson - Tyler Myers
3. Travis Dermott/Jack Rathbone - Tucker Poolman/Travis Dermott

Neither blueline is particularly strong, but I still thought I'd compare them talent-wise. Obviously Quinn Hughes is the best defender of both teams. I'd probably compare personnel something like this:

Krug < Hughes, Faulk > Ekman-Larsson, Parayko > Myers, Leddy > Dermott, Bortuzzo < Schenn, Scandella = Poolman, Mikkola/Perunovich < Rathbone
Aug. 16, 2022 at 6:33 a.m.
me wan da poonani
Isn't the general consensus that Vancouver has one of the weakest D corps league-wide?
I mean that right side is just downright awful.
Aug. 16, 2022 at 7:40 a.m.
Krug, Faulk, Parayko kills any chance the Canucks have, they do have Q. Hughes but it severely drops off after that
Aug. 16, 2022 at 11:36 a.m.
Below Market Value
St. Louis' blue line is pretty bad, yet it doesn't really have that reputation since they have historically been one of the better defensive teams plus they were covered by good goaltending this past season; but I would still say it's better than Vancouver's.

Krug, Faulk, and Leddy are all pretty weak defensively, while Parayko is not the same high-end defenseman he was a few seasons ago. Scandella's washed, Mikkola and Bortuzzo are just third-pair defensemen, and Perunovich is just a younger, less-talented version of Krug.

Hughes is better than all of St. Louis' defensemen, but it's quite a drop-off from there. Schenn wasn't terrible last season, but I still think he's playing too high in the lineup and probably won't repeat his success. OEL was quite better than advertised, but likely won't return to his peak form. Myers is bad, but we all been knew that. I quite like Dermott, but I don't see him playing higher than the third pair. And Rathbone and Poolman are just third pairing guys.

If I had to rank them all
1. Hughes
2. Parayko
3. Krug
4. Ekman-Larsson
5. Faulk
6. Dermott
7. Schenn
8. Throw the rest down here somewhere
Aug. 16, 2022 at 3:49 p.m.
st. louis blue line is a bit overrated, but still better than nucks.
Aug. 16, 2022 at 4:24 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Tintin
Isn't the general consensus that Vancouver has one of the weakest D corps league-wide?
I mean that right side is just downright awful.

LOL, no it isn't. Vancouver's blueline isn't even close to being the worst. It's slightly below average at worst. It's people like you how underrate guys like Myers, Schenn, and Poolman. Myers is a solid no. 4/5 defender, Schenn and Poolman are both good 5/6 defenders. I know that's still relatively unimpressive, but it's better than what guys like you give them credit for being

Also, don't act like St. Louis's blueline is anything to write home about
Aug. 16, 2022 at 4:26 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: gary_gobbler
st. louis blue line is a bit overrated, but still better than nucks.

LOL, how is it still better? Hughes is by far the best defender across both bluelines. I'd probably still take guys like Krug and Faulk over Ekman-Larsson, but the talent difference isn't very big. I'd probably still take Parayko over Myers right now, but not by very much. The rest of both team's respective back ends are relatively even after that
Aug. 16, 2022 at 4:29 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
St. Louis' blue line is pretty bad, yet it doesn't really have that reputation since they have historically been one of the better defensive teams plus they were covered by good goaltending this past season; but I would still say it's better than Vancouver's.

Krug, Faulk, and Leddy are all pretty weak defensively, while Parayko is not the same high-end defenseman he was a few seasons ago. Scandella's washed, Mikkola and Bortuzzo are just third-pair defensemen, and Perunovich is just a younger, less-talented version of Krug.

Hughes is better than all of St. Louis' defensemen, but it's quite a drop-off from there. Schenn wasn't terrible last season, but I still think he's playing too high in the lineup and probably won't repeat his success. OEL was quite better than advertised, but likely won't return to his peak form. Myers is bad, but we all been knew that. I quite like Dermott, but I don't see him playing higher than the third pair. And Rathbone and Poolman are just third pairing guys.

If I had to rank them all
1. Hughes
2. Parayko
3. Krug
4. Ekman-Larsson
5. Faulk
6. Dermott
7. Schenn
8. Throw the rest down here somewhere

Ekman-Larsson is better than Parayko, and I don't know why the hell you think he's going to regress so significantly. He's not that old

Myers doesn't suck, you have no idea what you're saying

Rathbone is probably just a 3rd pair guy next season, but he still has top 4 potential. Agree that Schenn plays a bit too high up the lineup, but still acquits himself exceptionally well alongside Hughes. If Schenn were paired with just an average defender, he'd definitely get more exposed

I don't think the argument in favor of St. Louis is all that one-sided because so many fans like you underrate guys like Myers, Schenn, Ekman-Larsson to some degree, and even Poolman when he's healthy
Aug. 16, 2022 at 4:33 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Krug, Faulk, Parayko kills any chance the Canucks have, they do have Q. Hughes but it severely drops off after that

LOL, no it doesn't. Ekman Larsson is better than Parayko, while Krug and Faulk don't come anywhere close to Hughes. Also, Parayko isn't that much better than Myers. There isn't as significant of a drop off as you think
Aug. 16, 2022 at 4:55 p.m.
Quoting: Knuckl3s
LOL, no it doesn't. Ekman Larsson is better than Parayko, while Krug and Faulk don't come anywhere close to Hughes. Also, Parayko isn't that much better than Myers. There isn't as significant of a drop off as you think

I’m sorry but OEL and Myers aren’t good, they’re average 2nd pair guys At best, I’d take Krug, Parayko or Faulk over them any day of the week
Tintin liked this.
Aug. 16, 2022 at 4:57 p.m.
Banned
I’m sorry but OEL and Myers aren’t good, they’re average 2nd pair guys At best, I’d take Krug, Parayko or Faulk over them any day of the week

LMFAO, OEL and Myers aren't good? 2nd pair guys aren't good? WTF are you smoking? Parayko has been just an average 2nd pair defender these past two seasons
Aug. 16, 2022 at 5:07 p.m.
LMFAO, OEL and Myers aren't good? 2nd pair guys aren't good? WTF are you smoking? Parayko has been just an average 2nd pair defender these past two seasons

I said Myers and OEL are average 2nd pair guys at best, when you can’t be a consitent 2nd pair guys, especially in those contracts, you aren’t good
Aug. 16, 2022 at 5:20 p.m.
LOL, how is it still better? Hughes is by far the best defender across both bluelines. I'd probably still take guys like Krug and Faulk over Ekman-Larsson, but the talent difference isn't very big. I'd probably still take Parayko over Myers right now, but not by very much. The rest of both team's respective back ends are relatively even after that

hughes is not good defensively, but the rest I agree with. like I said, blues D is overrated. No need to get so upset lmao
Edit: It takes time for young offensive defenseman to figure out their own end, I'm sure Hughes will figure it out aswell, bouchard is the same way.
Aug. 16, 2022 at 5:22 p.m.

you're asking for everyone's opinion, and you're just getting upset their voting against your team.
UpsideDownQue, A_Habs_fan, EsoYeezus69 and 2 others liked this.
Aug. 16, 2022 at 5:36 p.m.
retired
i really dont care for vancouvers blueline. this year we'll find out if the canucks have anything in rathbone.

st. louis is better overall. a more well rounded dcore. they don't really have a star like hughes tho.
Aug. 16, 2022 at 10:14 p.m.
Bedard23

Having one good player on your blue line does nothing if the rest of your defence is nauseating at best
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Aug. 17, 2022 at 2:35 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: IconicHawk
Having one good player on your blue line does nothing if the rest of your defence is nauseating at best

No it isn't, if you think OEL, Myers, Schenn, Dermott, and even Poolman for that matter are all bad defenseman, you must have black lungs from whatever you're smoking
Aug. 17, 2022 at 2:39 a.m.
Banned
you're asking for everyone's opinion, and you're just getting upset their voting against your team.

That's cause you guys are better informed about one team and not well informed enough about the other. That's the problem
Aug. 17, 2022 at 2:40 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: DirtyDangle
i really dont care for vancouvers blueline. this year we'll find out if the canucks have anything in rathbone.

st. louis is better overall. a more well rounded dcore. they don't really have a star like hughes tho.

More well rounded? I'd take Ekman-Larsson over Parayko, and I'd take Myers over Nick Leddy, while Faulk and Krug both pale in comparison to Hughes. I'm not sure that more well rounded equates to superior
Aug. 17, 2022 at 2:42 a.m.
Banned
I said Myers and OEL are average 2nd pair guys at best, when you can’t be a consitent 2nd pair guys, especially in those contracts, you aren’t good

OEL is a high end 2nd pair/serviceable top pair defender, it's only Myers who is a borderline 2nd pair defender, and this thread is not about contract efficiency, stay on topic
Aug. 17, 2022 at 2:57 a.m.
Banned
hughes is not good defensively, but the rest I agree with. like I said, blues D is overrated. No need to get so upset lmao
Edit: It takes time for young offensive defenseman to figure out their own end, I'm sure Hughes will figure it out aswell, bouchard is the same way.

If you think Hughes still isn't good defensively, you've been living under a rock. It's not me being upset, it's other people being poorly informed. Bouchard is never gonna be anywhere close to Hughes' level
Aug. 17, 2022 at 9:21 a.m.
Bedard23
No it isn't, if you think OEL, Myers, Schenn, Dermott, and even Poolman for that matter are all bad defenseman, you must have black lungs from whatever you're smoking

I said combined not individual players OEL average offensively bad defensively Myers is the exact opposite as him and Dermott is well whatever and Poolman is just a classic Jim Benning signing
Aug. 17, 2022 at 9:21 a.m.
Bedard23
Even Quinn Hughes is s*it defensively
Aug. 17, 2022 at 9:22 a.m.
Bedard23
God it’s been long enough before I added him to my ignore list
Aug. 17, 2022 at 9:44 a.m.
[
Quoting: IconicHawk
God it’s been long enough before I added him to my ignore list

Bouchard had more even strength points then Hughes, and similar defensive.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit