Forums/Armchair-GM

32 in 32 lineups - Columbus Blue Jackets

Created by: zk97
Team: 2022-23 Columbus Blue Jackets
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 17, 2022
Published: Aug. 17, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Blue Jackets are projected to be a team closer to the bottom than the top of the standings once more this season, even with the signings of Johnny Gaudreau (and Erik Gudbranson). There still is no clear top-line-caliber centre, but one of centres Cole Sillinger, Kent Johnson, and Jack Roslovic could take that spot this season, if not next, especially with snipers Gaudreau and Patrik Laine on the wings. On defense, the left side is set with Zach Werenski, Vladislav Gavrikov, and Jake Bean taking up the 1-2-3 spots, but the right side is a slight bit more complicated. Erik Gudbranson and Adam Boqvist could both be the 1st pairing dman, but ideally you want Gudbranson on the third pair and Boqvist on the second pair. However, Gudbranson had a decent season in 21-22, earning him an atrocious contract. It seems like he'll be the one that takes the top pair mantle (as much as you may not want him to), with Boqvist taking second fiddle and Andrew Peeke & Nick Blankenburg fighting it out for the third pair spot on the right side. In goal, Elvis Merzlikins is a lock to be the starter, but the backup spot is more of a question mark, with both Joonas Korpisalo and Daniil Tarasov being contenders for the spot. It will be interesting to see who gets the spot.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$75,545,833$0$2,475,000$6,954,167
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$9,750,000$9,750,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 4
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LW, C
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$700,000$700K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LW
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,525,000$1,525,000
LW, C, RW
RFA - 2
$975,000$975,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$9,583,333$9,583,333
LD
UFA - 6
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$5,400,000$5,400,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$2,800,000$2,800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RD
RFA - 3
$1,300,000$1,300,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,333,333$2,333,333
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$787,500$787,500
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 17, 2022 at 2:14 p.m.
Probably not going to be the lines, but probably close. I can very easily see Johnson and chinakov in the AHL to start the season. Here are the lines I’d go with, do as you say and continue to build vs rush the young prospects. Johnson takes some time to play center in the AHL in a top 6 role vs wing in the NHL in a 3rd line role. Give Bemstrom one more shot to see what he can truly do.

Forward lines-
Gaudreau-Roslovic-Laine
Nyquist-Sillinger-Voracek
Texier-Jenner-Bemstrom
Robinson-Karuly-Oliver/Danforth/Gaunce

Defensive pairs-
Werenski-Peeke
Gavrikov-Boqvist
Blankenburg/Bean-Gudbranson

Goalies-
Merzlinkins
Korpisalo
Tarosov (becomes the starter if Merzy gets hurt)
Brube or other backup level goalie to backup Elvis if Korpisalo gets hurt so Tarosov can play like a number 1 in the AHL vs sit on the bench most nights.
zk97 liked this.
Aug. 17, 2022 at 2:25 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: Ajp_18
Probably not going to be the lines, but probably close. I can very easily see Johnson and chinakov in the AHL to start the season. Here are the lines I’d go with, do as you say and continue to build vs rush the young prospects. Johnson takes some time to play center in the AHL in a top 6 role vs wing in the NHL in a 3rd line role. Give Bemstrom one more shot to see what he can truly do.

Forward lines-
Gaudreau-Roslovic-Laine
Texier-Jenner-Bemstrom

Defensive pairs-
Werenski-Peeke
Gavrikov-Boqvist

Goalies-
Merzlinkins
Korpisalo
Brube or other backup level goalie to backup Elvis if Korpisalo gets hurt so Tarosov can play like a number 1 in the AHL vs sit on the bench most nights.

how long do you think johnson stays in the AHL? since he's probably going to be a C in the NHL but the C core is really clogged with jenner and kuraly taking up C spots and roslovic & sillinger being on the team for a while
maybe roslovic or jenner swap to the wing eventually?
Aug. 17, 2022 at 2:29 p.m.
Yegor bomb

Forward lines-
Gaudreau-Roslovic-Laine
Texier-Jenner-Bemstrom

Defensive pairs-
Werenski-Peeke
Gavrikov-Boqvist

Goalies-
Merzlinkins
Korpisalo

A Marchenko - Kent - Chinny line in Cleveland is really going to be insane if that's what is decided for who goes down at the beginning of the year.
Ajp_18 and zk97 liked this.
Aug. 17, 2022 at 2:41 p.m.
Quoting: Zuki9797
how long do you think johnson stays in the AHL? since he's probably going to be a C in the NHL but the C core is really clogged with jenner and kuraly taking up C spots and roslovic & sillinger being on the team for a while
maybe roslovic or jenner swap to the wing eventually?

Roslovic’s faceoff% isn’t very good, so he would probably be the one moved to the wing, my guess is next season or after the trade deadline, Nyquist gets moved out and if Johnson is successful in the role get could be the 3c then. Sillinger goes to one, Jenner at 2, Johnson 3 and Karuly at 4.
Moving into 23-24 season.

Gaudreau-Sillinger-Laine
Texier-Johnson-Voracek
Marchenko-Jenner-Chinakov
Robinson-Karuly-4th line wing.

D core is harder with the possibility of Juricik and Cuelamens coming up.
zk97 liked this.
Aug. 17, 2022 at 3:38 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Roslovic’s faceoff% isn’t very good, so he would probably be the one moved to the wing, my guess is next season or after the trade deadline, Nyquist gets moved out and if Johnson is successful in the role get could be the 3c then. Sillinger goes to one, Jenner at 2, Johnson 3 and Karuly at 4.
Moving into 23-24 season.

Gaudreau-Sillinger-Laine
Texier-Johnson-Voracek
Marchenko-Jenner-Chinakov
Robinson-Karuly-4th line wing.

D core is harder with the possibility of Juricik and Cuelamens coming up.

i wonder if the 4th line winger could be someone from within, maybe foudy? but they probably dont want him on the fourth so maybe put him in the top 9 and texier on the 4th

D core will be interesting considering gudbranson's deal will not be a pleasant one for a WHILE
if i had to guess though,

Werenski - Boqvist
Gavrikov - Jiricek
Bean - Gudbranson
Blankenburg
Aug. 17, 2022 at 4:08 p.m.
Quoting: Zuki9797
i wonder if the 4th line winger could be someone from within, maybe foudy? but they probably dont want him on the fourth so maybe put him in the top 9 and texier on the 4th

D core will be interesting considering gudbranson's deal will not be a pleasant one for a WHILE
if i had to guess though,

Werenski - Boqvist
Gavrikov - Jiricek
Bean - Gudbranson
Blankenburg

Doubtful that Texier goes to the 4th line unless he majorly struggles this season, though that Texier, Karuly, Robinson line was one of the best Columbus had last season.

As for the d core, you’re also missing Peeke, I get why you keep pushing him down because he doesn’t have the great numbers, but omg stop with the Bean. Bean sucks and isn’t an NHL d, he’d be better off as a LW. Also Boqvist isn’t a top pair RHD, he's too small and gets hurt way too much.

My best guess would be,

Werenski-Peeke
Gavrikov-Juricik
Blankenburg/Boqvist-Gudbranson

As the season progresses it’ll change into

Werenski-Juricik
Gavrikov-Peeke
Blankenburg-Gudbranson
Boqvist out injured, he plays just about 60% of games a season.

Just because Bean is the 3rd best LHD we have doesn’t mean he’s a top 6 defenseman, players can play off hand, Weeger played the left side with Ekblad in Florida.
zk97 liked this.
Aug. 17, 2022 at 4:14 p.m.
not a he )
This is a pretty fair read on the situation from an outsider, nice work. This is a grow and figure out what we've got season coming up. The starting lineup on opening night 2022 is going to look wildly different from the starting lineup in 2023, that's for sure. As long as I don't have to see Brendan Gaunce or Gavin Bayreuther at any point, I will be happy.

I imagine this coming season finishes with Sillinger as 1C between Laine and Gaudreau, but it'll probably be Jenner there to start. The D will shake out somehow, but not having a true shutdown 1RD to pair with Werenski hurts the rest of the lineup. Gavrikov/Boqvist works if Boqvist can stay healthy (big if), and Peeke is a solid 3RD and a serviceable 1RD whose wart is that he makes Werenski worse at being Werenski. Blanks should probably start in Cleveland along with Johnson, but I imagine we'll see both of them in Columbus pretty quickly. And hey, maybe Gudbranson works perfectly as a Werenski partner, even if he's not what you'd call a normal 1RD. What we do know for sure is that neither Bean nor Boqvist works in that role. It's basically Jiricek's spot by 2024 if it goes to plan.
zk97 liked this.
Aug. 17, 2022 at 5:21 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
I can't help but feel like making any lineup prediction for the Jackets before October is a wasted effort. There are so many question marks next to players that it's just simply going to take seeing what their game looks like through camp and pre-season to have any real idea how this lineup is going to look. The only guys I'm willing to say will 100% be in the lineup are Gaudreau, Laine, Jenner, Voracek, Nyquist, Roslovic, Kuraly, Texier and Sillinger for forwards, Werenski, Gavrikov and Gudrbanson for defense and Elvis as the starting goalie. Even then, who knows what Dr. K might have brewing. I'm gonna just enjoy the next 6 weeks of off season and really start thinking about lineups again at the end of September.
zk97 and Viqsi liked this.
Aug. 17, 2022 at 9:25 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Doubtful that Texier goes to the 4th line unless he majorly struggles this season, though that Texier, Karuly, Robinson line was one of the best Columbus had last season.

As for the d core, you’re also missing Peeke, I get why you keep pushing him down because he doesn’t have the great numbers, but omg stop with the Bean. Bean sucks and isn’t an NHL d, he’d be better off as a LW. Also Boqvist isn’t a top pair RHD, he's too small and gets hurt way too much.

My best guess would be,

Werenski-Peeke
Gavrikov-Juricik
Blankenburg/Boqvist-Gudbranson

As the season progresses it’ll change into

Werenski-Juricik
Gavrikov-Peeke
Blankenburg-Gudbranson
Boqvist out injured, he plays just about 60% of games a season.

Just because Bean is the 3rd best LHD we have doesn’t mean he’s a top 6 defenseman, players can play off hand, Weeger played the left side with Ekblad in Florida.

i guess i was just going with what positions the players are listed as, didnt know bean was that bad
so then peeke is probably an NHL regular for a bit until two of ceulemans, jiricek (not juricik, this mistake is killing me lol) or mateychuk crack the NHL
i think that lineup looks good for next season, but honestly, if im an outsider (which i am), i would be very scared of the future D-core that the blue jackets could have

Werenski - Jiricek
Mateychuk - Ceulemans
Gavrikov - Boqvist
(Peeke, Blankenburg, Svozil, Knazko)

Quoting: squashmaple
This is a pretty fair read on the situation from an outsider, nice work. This is a grow and figure out what we've got season coming up. The starting lineup on opening night 2022 is going to look wildly different from the starting lineup in 2023, that's for sure. As long as I don't have to see Brendan Gaunce or Gavin Bayreuther at any point, I will be happy.

I imagine this coming season finishes with Sillinger as 1C between Laine and Gaudreau, but it'll probably be Jenner there to start. The D will shake out somehow, but not having a true shutdown 1RD to pair with Werenski hurts the rest of the lineup. Gavrikov/Boqvist works if Boqvist can stay healthy (big if), and Peeke is a solid 3RD and a serviceable 1RD whose wart is that he makes Werenski worse at being Werenski. Blanks should probably start in Cleveland along with Johnson, but I imagine we'll see both of them in Columbus pretty quickly. And hey, maybe Gudbranson works perfectly as a Werenski partner, even if he's not what you'd call a normal 1RD. What we do know for sure is that neither Bean nor Boqvist works in that role. It's basically Jiricek's spot by 2024 if it goes to plan.

i think best case scenario you're getting sillinger as the 1C by season's end. i think realistically you hope that he becomes at least a 2C by then, but yeah its probably jenner's spot to start the season (and maybe roslovic gets it at some point if he gets 60 pts). the D will be a big question mark like you said, it'll be interesting to see what happens. i think you hope gudbranson is servicable to play with werenski at least

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll