Forums/Armchair-GM

What Now

Created by: AndrewGoalie33
Team: 2022-23 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 18, 2022
Published: Aug. 18, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I’ll admit that we dodged a bullet by not signing Kadri to a 7 year deal. Sure other fan bases are gonna laugh at us since we apparently have had him signed for the last month, but we would’ve been laughed at if we signed him to a 7 year deal anyway. Other fans just hate the isles ig. Regardless, signing him and actually improving the roster would have been better than nothing.

If Lou walks into next season with the only moves made being a firing of Trotz and the overpay for Romanov, after the catastrophe that was the 2021-2022 season, then he should be fired. Enough with the secretive bs and actually give the fans some insight into the team’s vision (if there even is one).

I guess the only remaining options the Islanders have now is a trade for JT Miller, Patrick Kane, or Vladimir Tarasenko. I highly doubt any of these happen though, because Kane will likely be dealt at the deadline, and we won’t be good enough at the deadline to justify a move, and Tarasenko was probably gonna be moved to accommodate a trade for Tkachuk. Also, if the radioactive ACGM arguments between Canuck and Islander fans are any indication, the two teams aren’t exactly good trade partners for a JT Miller trade.

Idk man. This offseason has just been one kick in the nuts after another. First the firing of Trotz, then missing out on guys like DeBrincat and Fiala, then the questionable trade for Romanov, then whiffing on Gaudreau, and now Kadri? It’s like every time we fail to make a move we’re told the same thing: Isles couldn’t create the cap room to get more seriously involved, i.e., Lou couldn’t stomach trading Bailey, even though it’s his literal job.

My guess? JT Miller gets traded to the Capitals, Kane gets trading to the Rangers at the deadline, Tarasenko stays in St. Louis, and the Isles make zero moves except for a random trade that no one will expect, like the Romanov one. We will roll into the deadline as a team on the outside looking in for a wildcard spot, make no moves, and end the season as a lottery team picking right around where we did this year. Not bad enough for a top talent, but not good enough to contend. Then we’ll roll into the next offseason hearing the same rumors about how the Isles will be involved with every top free agent, and then get no one. It’s a cycle at this point.

I don’t know what the point of this was, but if you read this far, thanks for listening to my TED talk about the Isles.
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
19$82,500,000$71,314,963$245,796$1,287,500$11,185,037
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Islanders
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
LW
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RW
RFA - 1
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,750,000$5,750,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 7
$6,150,000$6,150,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 18, 2022 at 1:22 p.m.
You guys are fine without Kadri. He'll be 32 in a month and a half.
Aug. 18, 2022 at 1:23 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Sign Dobson and Romanov. Thats all. This is a good team. You can't really blame the Islanders for their poor play last season. Romanov shores up that left side, Dobson has taken steps and is starting to become a dominant RD, and your goalie tandem is insane. Barzal and Nelson are very good top 6 centers
Aug. 18, 2022 at 1:26 p.m.
DobsonIsUntouchable
Quoting: gary_gobbler

Sure we’re fine without Kadri. But we would’ve been better for at least the next two years WITH Kadri. Signing him to a seven year deal is a huge mistake, hell, a give year deal would’ve been a huge mistake. But I’m just tired of all the Isles rumors amounting to nothing
Aug. 18, 2022 at 1:28 p.m.
Carbon

He's way too young for the Isles. Maybe Lou will sign him after this 7 yr contract is up.
Not_Isles5513 and gary_ liked this.
Aug. 18, 2022 at 1:29 p.m.
1GarthSnowFan
Quoting: AndrewGoalie33
Sure we’re fine without Kadri. But we would’ve been better for at least the next two years WITH Kadri. Signing him to a seven year deal is a huge mistake, hell, a give year deal would’ve been a huge mistake. But I’m just tired of all the Isles rumors amounting to nothing

Sometimes less is more.
gary_ liked this.
Aug. 18, 2022 at 1:33 p.m.

I understand, but what if islanders signed him to 7x7? and then you maybe cant extend Barzal? That would be worse.
Aug. 18, 2022 at 1:39 p.m.
GM
Without Trotz, NYI will struggle to get to the wild card with this team. While yeah, getting rid of him may free up some offense, they don't have enough firepower up front to make up for the hit the defensive game will take. NYI will need a hell of a season from Sorokin to make the playoffs. Barzal also will need to take that next step (which will screw you next year with his contract)
Aug. 18, 2022 at 1:43 p.m.
DobsonIsUntouchable
Quoting: Isles5513
Sometimes less is more.

Not when we’re supposed to be competing for a cup
Aug. 18, 2022 at 1:44 p.m.
DobsonIsUntouchable
I understand, but what if islanders signed him to 7x7? and then you maybe cant extend Barzal? That would be worse.

Nah we can extend barzal no matter what because Varly is a UFA next year
gary_ liked this.
Aug. 18, 2022 at 1:44 p.m.
ALjet12

I can understand your frustration with this team. Left transitioning was the biggest need of the offseason Lou solved that hopefully with Romanov thats what made the isles contenders. Lou could of traded Varlamov at the draft and make a side deal to trade for a backup but that takes assets with a goalie market that was scarce. Bailey contract is unable to be traded in a flat cap this offseason showed the isles would have to give up a first . A first in next year's draft is very valuable . Trading beauvillier would not be the strongest move given he is a young 25 year old forward who has tons of speed decent hands and good on the forecheck. Never trade stock at its lowest value. It would be tough for anyone to take on Pageau given he is a 3rd line center making 5 million for 4 years.
To get Tarasenko you looking to trade a first given his bounce back year and his stock has dramatically risen Gaudreau probably never wanted to come to Long Island but I will agree with you that Lou placed a undermarket offer to him. I bet Lou was heavily wanting Forsberg and had to pivot once Nash resigned him.
Aug. 18, 2022 at 1:49 p.m.
1GarthSnowFan
Not when we’re supposed to be competing for a cup

Kadri wasn’t gonna win a cup in Ny.
Aug. 18, 2022 at 1:53 p.m.
Quoting: Nathaniel
Sign Dobson and Romanov. Thats all. This is a good team. You can't really blame the Islanders for their poor play last season. Romanov shores up that left side, Dobson has taken steps and is starting to become a dominant RD, and your goalie tandem is insane. Barzal and Nelson are very good top 6 centers

The problem is just about every team in the metro got much better this offseason
Aug. 18, 2022 at 2:03 p.m.

I'm sorry its ok to think last season was a down year that won't happen again but who else can you blame for their poor play but themselves? They had a long road trip (brought on by their own ownership), but continued to play poorly and get poor results once they started playing at Nassau. They had a bad COVID outbreak as did plenty of other teams. Sorokin played out of his mind and Varlamov was probably the best backup in the league last year and the team still sucked. Islanders fans have every right to be disappointed that their only move was overpaying for Romanov
Aug. 18, 2022 at 2:04 p.m.
BenIslandersFan

thank you, someone positive for once. Islanders have a good team. If they could've moved bailey for a good winger they would be even better but i dont see that happening. They have a good defensive core and just need another left handed puck moving defenseman so were not relying on salo
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Aug. 18, 2022 at 2:08 p.m.
BenIslandersFan
Quoting: qc14
I'm sorry its ok to think last season was a down year that won't happen again but who else can you blame for their poor play but themselves? They had a long road trip (brought on by their own ownership), but continued to play poorly and get poor results once they started playing at Nassau. They had a bad COVID outbreak as did plenty of other teams. Sorokin played out of his mind and Varlamov was probably the best backup in the league last year and the team still sucked. Islanders fans have every right to be disappointed that their only move was overpaying for Romanov

Their season was over after the road trip and COVID outbreak. It's not easy to come back and turn your season around when it is basically already over, yet they still finished over .500

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll