SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Calgary Flames signed Nazem Kadri (7 Years / $7,000,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 18, 2022 at 4:28 p.m.
retired
Quoting: Dahlin_On_Me
I’m I the only one who thinks signing UFA veterans to massive contracts with their best years behind them is a really bad idea?

in general they really dont age well but calgary's time is now not 7 years from now.
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 18, 2022 at 4:35 p.m.
GoAvsGo
Lou is finally being laughed at. the NHL passed him by in the early 2000s. Name recognition matters too much in the NHL. Stop recycling these dusty GMs and Coaches...
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 18, 2022 at 4:39 p.m.
Edited Aug. 18, 2022 at 4:45 p.m.
People making fun of the Isles for NOT signing Kadri are the same making fun of the Flames FOR signing him.

Talk about bizzaro world.

The Isles are one of the oldest team in the league (average player age), Lou did great by not signing him. Of course Lou did a lot of bad, by being loyal to his veteran players, and signing them to past their prime lengthy contracts.

But give Lou a "W" for not caving into the pressure and bringing in Kadri.
Db1899 and MoxNix liked this.
Aug. 18, 2022 at 5:12 p.m.
Canes fan
Holy smokes what a wild offseason. Acquiring Huberdeau, Weegar, and Kadri while losing Tkachuk and Gaudreau is some franchise mode wizardry.

Great AAV on the contract, but the term is gonna hurt them towards those latter years of the contract.
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 18, 2022 at 6:30 p.m.
Its a long E
I think a lot of people talking about how this contract will hurt in the later years but you have to realize that 5 years from now, the cap will go up. It could go up by 5M. With that, a 7M contract has a little more breathing room. Sure its still not ideal but flames got Kadri and he could play well into his 40s or (hopefully not) be plagued by injuries.

Imo, this is an absolute solid signing locking down a fantastic top 6 F. I wouldn't call it a steal but this will be really good for both parties for years to come. He might even re-sign his 35+ contract there.

This contract will get better with time, not worse.
oneX and HockeyScotty liked this.
Aug. 18, 2022 at 8:45 p.m.
Quoting: Evey89
I think a lot of people talking about how this contract will hurt in the later years but you have to realize that 5 years from now, the cap will go up. It could go up by 5M. With that, a 7M contract has a little more breathing room. Sure its still not ideal but flames got Kadri and he could play well into his 40s or (hopefully not) be plagued by injuries.

Imo, this is an absolute solid signing locking down a fantastic top 6 F. I wouldn't call it a steal but this will be really good for both parties for years to come. He might even re-sign his 35+ contract there.

"Kadri and he could play well into his 40s"

Who has played well into their 40s? Like less than 10 players in NHL history? Most of them being some of the greatest ever like Howe & Jagr.

Kadri has had one great season in his career. It's a big maybe if he can continue that kind of play next year let alone play into his 40s lol.
Aug. 18, 2022 at 9:55 p.m.
Quoting: DongLord23

Who has played well into their 40s? Like less than 10 players in NHL history? Most of them being some of the greatest ever like Howe & Jagr.

Kadri has had one great season in his career. It's a big maybe if he can continue that kind of play next year let alone play into his 40s lol.

Not going argue on this, but just a quick look up on Kadri's career and with the Leafs slow development of him, did you know he didn't play his 100th Nhl game until after his 23rd bday.

So maybe his body doesn't have the same wear and tear on it as other 31 year olds who had been playing full time in the Nhl since their 19th bday.
Aug. 18, 2022 at 10:45 p.m.
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
Not going argue on this, but just a quick look up on Kadri's career and with the Leafs slow development of him, did you know he didn't play his 100th Nhl game until after his 23rd bday.

So maybe his body doesn't have the same wear and tear on it as other 31 year olds who had been playing full time in the Nhl since their 19th bday.

Kadri plays a physical game. He almost has 1000 hits in his career. He's also got 791 games played. That's still a lot of wear and tear already.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Aug. 19, 2022 at 2:12 a.m.
Quoting: Evey89

To comment on your first sentence, there's not a GM in the league who operates with the thought of "man.. what will this contract look like in 5-6-7 years?"

GM's especially ones that have a core group of players who are contending or trying to are worried about the here and now, not 7 years from now.

If a GM lasts long enough to worry about a contract like this, they'll just deal with it then but clearly this deal is about the next 3 years for sure.
HockeyScotty, MoxNix and Evey89 liked this.
Aug. 19, 2022 at 4:42 a.m.
Josh
Really good signing... First line of Huberdeau - Kadri - Lindholm

STACKED

but in 4-5 years, Brad will regret this signing... I would've given him this deal:
1st year: 8.8M$
2nd year: 8.1M$
3rd year: 7.5M$
4th year: 7M$
5th year: 7M$
6th year: 5.2M$ (NTC)
7th year: 5.2M$ (NTC)
Aug. 19, 2022 at 6:13 a.m.
Quoting: Jleblanc
Really good signing... First line of Huberdeau - Kadri - Lindholm

Kadri will be the second line center. Lindholm has the first line center spot locked up. That could be the first PP unit though.
Aug. 19, 2022 at 6:49 a.m.
Its a long E
Quoting: DongLord23

I feel like my point was lost. What I mean is that nobody knows what the future will hold. Is it likely that he makes it to 40 and still plays? No. That's a long shot but one that is still possible. It's also possible he gets injured in the first game he plays for CGY and never plays again. Extremes as an example. And yes, he has only had one outstanding season to date and even if he never matches what he did last season again, he is still a great 2C who will be able to contribute.

Of course, it is also entirely possible that he does have another great year or even tops it and that 7m starts to look like a bargain.
Aug. 19, 2022 at 8:07 a.m.
Bait Post Detector
Sleepy Lou back at it again sleepy
Aug. 19, 2022 at 4:19 p.m.
I’m a little surprised by this, especially since it took so long. I was beginning to think he might have to sign a 1-year deal like Klingberg and try again for the big payday next year.

I like the AAV because it doesn’t assume he’ll be able to reproduce what he did last season, but 7 years for a physical forward who’ll be 32 by the beginning of the first season is 2 or 3 years too long. On the other hand, the longer term is likely what made him willing to accept a lower cap hit, which helps the team be more competitive in the early years of the contract. Clearly the next few years are Calgary’s priority, and they’ll worry about what happens after that when they get there, so from that perspective this signing makes sense.

I suspect this contract was negotiated some time ago, but they couldn’t finalize it until Calgary could clear cap space, which they were suddenly able to do when Montreal found out Price would be out for the season.
HockeyScotty liked this.
Aug. 19, 2022 at 6:09 p.m.
Quoting: jr400
I’m a little surprised by this, especially since it took so long. I was beginning to think he might have to sign a 1-year deal like Klingberg and try again for the big payday next year.

I like the AAV because it doesn’t assume he’ll be able to reproduce what he did last season, but 7 years for a physical forward who’ll be 32 by the beginning of the first season is 2 or 3 years too long. On the other hand, the longer term is likely what made him willing to accept a lower cap hit, which helps the team be more competitive in the early years of the contract. Clearly the next few years are Calgary’s priority, and they’ll worry about what happens after that when they get there, so from that perspective this signing makes sense.

I suspect this contract was negotiated some time ago, but they couldn’t finalize it until Calgary could clear cap space, which they were suddenly able to do when Montreal found out Price would be out for the season.

Carey Price career is over. Him and Tuuka Rask will sit at a coffee shop together remembering the good ole days.
Aug. 20, 2022 at 11:54 p.m.
So a 1st, Monahan, and a contract that goes until he's 38 after 1 good year. Yikes
Aug. 21, 2022 at 12:09 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: West_Virginia_Take_Me_Home
So a 1st, Monahan, and a contract that goes until he's 38 after 1 good year. Yikes

To be fair, it's fair compensation for a 2C.. Calgary's goal is win now and they get better now. All terrible moves for the future, but it's huge for right now. 3 years is a long time so this might be bad for Calgary (Top 10 Pick), but I don't think they care right now.
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 22, 2022 at 8:53 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
To be fair, it's fair compensation for a 2C.. Calgary's goal is win now and they get better now. All terrible moves for the future, but it's huge for right now. 3 years is a long time so this might be bad for Calgary (Top 10 Pick), but I don't think they care right now.

It is possible for the pick to be in the top 10, but the probability of that is extremely low. It’s hard to follow all the conditions around the Monahan trade, but the most likely scenario is that Calgary will also own Florida’s first-round pick in 2025. In that case, if Calgary’s pick is in the top 10, they get to keep it and Montreal gets Florida’s pick instead. For Montreal to get a top 10 pick out of the trade, both Calgary and Florida would have to tank in the next 2-3 years.

You make a good point about the risk of trading picks that are several years in the future though, especially for a team that’s good now. A lot can change in three years. The longer they push out the pick, the more likely the team will drop out of the league’s upper echelon and it’ll be a higher pick. That’s why I don’t understand this trend toward trading picks that are several years in the future. Are the teams that are trading for the picks demanding this in the hope that they’ll get a better pick? Or are the GMs thinking that it makes it more likely they’ll be gone by the time the lost pick has an impact?
Sep. 1, 2022 at 3:04 a.m.
Funny how in the end he ended up on the Flames and TJ Brodie ended up on the Leafs.
Saskleaf liked this.
Sep. 1, 2022 at 1:38 p.m.
Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan
Funny how in the end he ended up on the Flames and TJ Brodie ended up on the Leafs.

I guess Toronto won that non-trade because they got something for Kadri (though all the Leafs fans on this forum seem to think they should dump Kerfoot) while Calgary lost Brodie as a UFA. Brodie’s current contract looks better than Kadri’s too.

Of course, the biggest winner was Kadri. I guess it wasn’t that he didn’t want to go to Calgary – he just wanted to pick up a Stanley Cup and a $49M contract on the way. It’s difficult to put a dollar value on a no-trade clause, but it was definitely worth something to him.
Sep. 3, 2022 at 11:32 a.m.
This is a horrible signing. One good season of production in his entire career? This contract could hurt in the first year.
Apr. 17, 2023 at 11:35 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Nathaniel
Calgary has had such a rollercoaster of an offseason. Got way better despite losing Gaudreau and Tkachuk. Term is iffy but it makes them better in the now, so this is a huge W

Alright I take it back
GiggywithGibby and Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 17, 2023 at 11:49 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: Nathaniel
Alright I take it back

I was literally about to quote that saying "This aged well....."
Apr. 18, 2023 at 2:08 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
I think we should wait one more season under new management. As who knows maybe the new GM will fix things and Flames will go back to 2021-2022 ways
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 18, 2023 at 3:13 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: aadoyle
I think we should wait one more season under new management. As who knows maybe the new GM will fix things and Flames will go back to 2021-2022 ways

Isn't Sutter sticking around as the coach?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit