(CGY/MTL) - Monahan, conditional 2025 1st for future considerations

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 19, 2022 at 6:10 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
To simplify this trade's conditions

FafZFzcXkAAH6qh?format=png&name=large

This is very helpful, but according to Cap Friendly’s description of the conditions, there is an error in the chart. The “&” in “Are R1-205 (CGY) & R1-2025 (FLA) in the Top 10?” should be “OR”, because “MTL will receive the better of the CGY and FLA 2025 1st round picks” applies only if both of those picks are outside the top 10. If either one of them – it doesn’t have to be both – is in the top 10, that takes you down the branch on the far right side of the chart.
dopplsan liked this.
Aug. 19, 2022 at 7:12 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: jr400
This is very helpful, but according to Cap Friendly’s description of the conditions, there is an error in the chart. The “&” in “Are R1-205 (CGY) & R1-2025 (FLA) in the Top 10?” should be “OR”, because “MTL will receive the better of the CGY and FLA 2025 1st round picks” applies only if both of those picks are outside the top 10. If either one of them – it doesn’t have to be both – is in the top 10, that takes you down the branch on the far right side of the chart.

Didnt make it but I suspected there would be an error here and there but the general basis of the trade specs is there
Aug. 19, 2022 at 9:13 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Didnt make it but I suspected there would be an error here and there but the general basis of the trade specs is there

Unless it was Cap Friendly that made the error, but I don't think so. It makes sense that they would get the better of the two picks if they're both outside the top 10, and the worst of the two if one or both of them is in the top 10. That's the same condition that was on the Dvorak trade, but they said it a lot more clearly on that one. This one needed to be more complicated because they had to work around the condition on the Florida pick, but I think they made it a lot more complicated than it had to be, and I still think they left out at least one possible scenario.
Aug. 19, 2022 at 9:20 p.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES
I think it's a fine trade. I wonder if Monaham will bouce back or not...
Aug. 20, 2022 at 8:55 a.m.
Quoting: Stanley_Cup_To_Manhattan
Kevyn Adams is asleep. Seriously you have $30M in cap space after finalizing the roster. Get the asset.

Sabres don't want Monahan in the lineup.
Aug. 20, 2022 at 12:45 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: OutDoorRinkBoy
I think it's a fine trade. I wonder if Monaham will bouce back or not...

There's a chance he could bounce back, Finally has all of his problems fixed, but he also had double hip surgery so I can't say he'll ever return to form.

Quoting: ElectroMan

Buffalo would love to have him on the 4th line (or middle 6 wing) and grab a 1st round pick with it.
SadSensFan14 liked this.
Aug. 20, 2022 at 1:42 p.m.
Am Yisrael Chai

Prefer Bjork? Hinostroza? Girgensons? it's not even about that. Get the 1st rounder. Who cares what they do with Monahan. Waive him, buy him out, flip him, Scratch him.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Aug. 20, 2022 at 2:20 p.m.
Monahan had no value whatsoever to the Flames. It's not like Tampa giving up McDonagh. MTL def wins the trade, but it's not as lopsided as it would've been had Monahan been a productive player. If anything, his terrible play was a distraction and the Flames are happy to move on.
Aug. 20, 2022 at 6:33 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: Brian2016
Monahan had no value whatsoever to the Flames. It's not like Tampa giving up McDonagh. MTL def wins the trade, but it's not as lopsided as it would've been had Monahan been a productive player. If anything, his terrible play was a distraction and the Flames are happy to move on.

He just seemed to fall out of favour with Darryl Sutter just wait for him to score 20 goals next year
Aug. 20, 2022 at 7:31 p.m.
Prefer Bjork? Hinostroza? Girgensons? it's not even about that. Get the 1st rounder. Who cares what they do with Monahan. Waive him, buy him out, flip him, Scratch him.

Bjork isn't even in the lineup dude lmao. He's gonna be scratched. Hinostroza/Girgensons aren't centers either. He'd take a spot away from Mitts. The whole point of this whole rebuild to let the young guys play.
Cody_Eakin liked this.
Aug. 20, 2022 at 7:34 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
There's a chance he could bounce back, Finally has all of his problems fixed, but he also had double hip surgery so I can't say he'll ever return to form.

Buffalo would love to have him on the 4th line (or middle 6 wing) and grab a 1st round pick with it.

Umm no? The whole point of this rebuild is to let the young guys play. Monahan would take a spot away from somebody like Mitts, Krebs, Peterka. We're not frigging up our young guy's development for a late future 1st. Biggest priority is properly developing our guys.

Why do people who know nothing about the team talk like they do?
Cody_Eakin liked this.
Aug. 20, 2022 at 7:50 p.m.
I'm loving this trade for the Habs. I get why CGY did it and maybe they kind were forced to do something like this but for the Habs this is exactly what I was hoping they'd do. I don't hate it for CGY even though I think they are delaying the inevitable but losing Gaudreau and essentially Tkachuk also is simply too big of a loss for the fan base. They needed this. They'll be good next year but could be in major crap in the not so distant future.
KSIxSKULLS and Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 20, 2022 at 8:06 p.m.
WentWughes
Umm no? The whole point of this rebuild is to let the young guys play. Monahan would take a spot away from somebody like Mitts, Krebs, Peterka. We're not frigging up our young guy's development for a late future 1st. Biggest priority is properly developing our guys.

Why do people who know nothing about the team talk like they do?

I agree, but you're getting a 1st round pick here. Look who's on your 4th line, none of those guys are young anymore and Monahan is likely better than all of them, even if you argue they are on par with each other, you're getting a 1st round pick to add another depth piece. It would be a no-brainer for Buffalo
Aug. 20, 2022 at 9:12 p.m.
I agree, but you're getting a 1st round pick here. Look who's on your 4th line, none of those guys are young anymore and Monahan is likely better than all of them, even if you argue they are on par with each other, you're getting a 1st round pick to add another depth piece. It would be a no-brainer for Buffalo

Who do you think is on our 4th line? It's likely that either Mitts, Peterka, or Asplund is on the 4th line. We have a lot of young guys and not enough roster spots for all of them to play in the top 9. Guys like the other poster mentioned like Bjork won't even be playing. We aren't tanking this year. We are trying to develop young guys and win games. This would be a fine trade last year for us. Not this year. I care more about developing young guys than a late 1st 2-3 years from now.
Aug. 20, 2022 at 9:52 p.m.
WentWughes
Who do you think is on our 4th line? It's likely that either Mitts, Peterka, or Asplund is on the 4th line. We have a lot of young guys and not enough roster spots for all of them to play in the top 9. Guys like the other poster mentioned like Bjork won't even be playing. We aren't tanking this year. We are trying to develop young guys and win games. This would be a fine trade last year for us. Not this year. I care more about developing young guys than a late 1st 2-3 years from now.

You don't play any of those guys on the 4th line TBH. They are young prospects that won't benefit from playing 10-11 minutes a night, if they aren't at least on the 3rd line + special teams, might as well stay in the AHL and get top minutes.

Hinostroza-Girgensons-Okposo in the 4th line according to Capfriendly so that's the line i'm referring too. I'd take a 1st + Monahan playing over any of those 3 over not making the trade.
Aug. 21, 2022 at 12:22 a.m.
May contain nuts
When you look at it as Kadri for 1st + Monahan, it hurts quite a bit less. Still, CGY would've been better off just buying Monahan out. For MTL, it's a free 1st at worst; if Monahan stays healthy, he could bring back something at the deadline @ 50% retained.
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 21, 2022 at 2:48 a.m.
Am Yisrael Chai
Bjork isn't even in the lineup dude lmao. He's gonna be scratched. Hinostroza/Girgensons aren't centers either. He'd take a spot away from Mitts. The whole point of this whole rebuild to let the young guys play.

Bjork still played games. Girgensons is arguably a C. I repeat, you don't have to play him. Why are we mentioning taking out Mittelstadt?
Aug. 21, 2022 at 3:00 a.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk
He just seemed to fall out of favour with Darryl Sutter just wait for him to score 20 goals next year

He's only 27 y.o. He's in a contract year. I guess I wouldn't be shocked if he scored 20G next season.
IconicHawk liked this.
Aug. 21, 2022 at 5:55 a.m.
You don't play any of those guys on the 4th line TBH. They are young prospects that won't benefit from playing 10-11 minutes a night, if they aren't at least on the 3rd line + special teams, might as well stay in the AHL and get top minutes.

Hinostroza-Girgensons-Okposo in the 4th line according to Capfriendly so that's the line i'm referring too. I'd take a 1st + Monahan playing over any of those 3 over not making the trade.

Those guys are way too good to be in the AHL. That's not gonna help them any. We don't have too many roster spots, so someone is likely gonna have to be on the 4th line. Might be Mitts as 4C.

Capfriendly lines aren't accurate. Most of the lines aren't accurate like Skinner - Tage - Olofsson. They don't even have Peterka in the lineup. Vinny will likely be scratched.

I would rather not have Monahan in the lineup at all.
Aug. 21, 2022 at 6:04 a.m.
Bjork still played games. Girgensons is arguably a C. I repeat, you don't have to play him. Why are we mentioning taking out Mittelstadt?

Yea LAST SEASON. Quinn / Peterka weren't full timers last year. Those guys are up this year. Little roster spots. Top 9 likely Skinner, Tage, Tuch, Cozens, Quinn, Olofsson, Krebs, Asplund, Peterka/Mitts. One of Peterka/Mitts will likely be on the 4th line. Wouldn't be surprised to see something like Girgs-Mitts-Okposo for the season. Okposo/Girgs are also important locker room guys. Vinny probably scratched.

If you trade for Monahan you have to play him. He's not bad enough to be in the AHL. Trading for him and not playing him isn't something that would ever happen.That's a great way to damage the relationship with a player's agent.
Aug. 21, 2022 at 6:51 p.m.
Quoting: dopplsan
To everyone in the ACGMs thinking they can move salary at the cost of like, a 5th round pick, please take note.

Quoting: Civil_Eng_PE
Cant wait to see all the other prices of these "cap dumps" for teams over the cap rn

It all really depends on their usefulness and desperation tbh. Monahan had to be traded cause he has been horrible, a terrible cap hit, coming off multiple really bad injuries. Some of the players people on here consider cap dumps probably aren’t really cap dumps.
Aug. 21, 2022 at 9:01 p.m.
Nah.
Quoting: Hockeyfan1234
It all really depends on their usefulness and desperation tbh. Monahan had to be traded cause he has been horrible, a terrible cap hit, coming off multiple really bad injuries. Some of the players people on here consider cap dumps probably aren’t really cap dumps.

Oliver ****ing Bjokrstrand got a 3rd and 4th.
Aug. 22, 2022 at 1:07 a.m.
Quoting: dopplsan
Oliver ****ing Bjokrstrand got a 3rd and 4th.

What’s your point? One gm’s blatant stupidity doesn’t really set the market. Columbus was unnecessarily desperate due to a poor UFA signing of Gudbranson. And instead of paying a team to take on a dump, they at least got something for a valuable player but they were in a similar situation as Calgary in they needed to make the trade in order to make room for their big FA signing. Some of these other teams aren’t desperate to trade a big salary for a free agent signing.
Aug. 22, 2022 at 10:56 a.m.
redhairedguy
Quoting: Brian2016
He's only 27 y.o. He's in a contract year. I guess I wouldn't be shocked if he scored 20G next season.

with his titanium hip and robotic wrists, let's face it that's not gonna happen
Aug. 22, 2022 at 11:23 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: redhairedguy
with his titanium hip and robotic wrists, let's face it that's not gonna happen

Titanium is stronger than bone grin.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit