Forums/Armchair-GM

hmmm

Created by: bf_hockey8
Team: 2022-23 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 19, 2022
Published: Aug. 19, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Top 4 is set for the future w/ Makar, Toews, Byram, and Manson. I like Girard a lot but he becomes expendable for the right piece. Miller would be a phenomenal addition for this year.

Colorado keeps the flexibility to accrue cap space throughout the year (macdermid can sub in up front or on D, same with Macdonald) and can make a splash at the deadline if they choose to. (would likely be a middle-six winger if kaut shows he cannot stick)

Rings last forever
Trades
VAN
  1. Girard, Samuel
  2. 2025 2nd round pick (COL)
Additional Details:
Pick is conditional on Miller playing 75% of playoff
IF miller re-signs, pick becomes a 1st (2025)
IF avs make SCF, pick becomes a 1st (2025)
IF both of the above occur, Canucks receive both 1st and 2nd (2025)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$82,500,000$78,915,833$25,000$3,775,000$3,584,167
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$6,125,000$6,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 8
$6,300,000$6,300,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$9,250,000$9,250,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 7
$908,333$908,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
RFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RW
RFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
UFA - 2
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 5
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$987,500$987,500
LD/RD, LW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 19, 2022 at 11:55 a.m.
Quoting: qc14
You cannot make picks conditional on a player re-signing anymore, and I think there are better fits elsewhere for both players

This is fair feedback, could simply add a 2nd and have the condition that it would upgrade to a 1st if COL makes the WCF or SCF (something like that). I actually think that Girard is a great fit for Van:
-young
-cost-controlled through his prime
-allows them to have a breakout machine on each of their top 2 pairs (VAN struggles breaking out of their zone)

I think Miller is a fit for a lot of teams but especially COL as they need a top center and are committed to ring-chasing in the short term. Also have the cap space to facilitate a trade now, saves VAN from risk that Miller regresses/gets hurt and loses value
Warpbox liked this.
Aug. 19, 2022 at 11:55 a.m.
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
You said you wouldn't trade Girard for "a rental" which is quite a statement. I was seeing if you actually meant it. You still haven't answered

I answered it,
Aug. 19, 2022 at 12:04 p.m.
Quoting: bf_hockey8
This is fair feedback, could simply add a 2nd and have the condition that it would upgrade to a 1st if COL makes the WCF or SCF (something like that). I actually think that Girard is a great fit for Van:
-young
-cost-controlled through his prime
-allows them to have a breakout machine on each of their top 2 pairs (VAN struggles breaking out of their zone)

I think Miller is a fit for a lot of teams but especially COL as they need a top center and are committed to ring-chasing in the short term. Also have the cap space to facilitate a trade now, saves VAN from risk that Miller regresses/gets hurt and loses value

Yea I agree with all of your points, I think I should've phrased it as I don't think this move is the kind either team is likely to make. I 100% think COL should go all in for a rental -- banners fly forever and with the MacKinnon deal coming up this is the year before significant cuts are going to have to be made to the roster. However, Sakic and the FO have been pretty stringent about only taking on guys that are undervalued (and underpaid) or that they are pretty sure they can re-sign. I don't think they trade for Manson last year if they didn't think they could re-sign him to be honest. I think they would ideally want a Girard trade to be the Kadri deal 2.0. Girard for Chytil and Blais?

On the Vancouver side, they (unfortunately) have Hughes and OEL locked in long term on their left side. Would it be worth it for one of the 3 moving to their off side or playing bottom pair minutes? Probably, but I don't see VAN wanting to give up easily the best asset on the trade market to do that. My guess is that they would want either the RD version of Girard or straight futures to either rebuild or turn around and use in another deal.
Warpbox liked this.
Aug. 19, 2022 at 12:05 p.m.
Quoting: coga16
can the avs look at the deadline to bolster their line up...yes. They do not need to trade for Miller right now, and it doesnt cost them Girard to do so
that is what the TDL is for

Benefit in the short term is that there are fewer buyers for Miller right now (Most teams just don't have the cap space). TDL is a bidding war. Also gives Miller the year to integrate with the team. I also just think that Miller will be the best rental available at center and think that it is worth it to jump on the opportunity.
Aug. 19, 2022 at 12:27 p.m.
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
Same reason people call Mackinnon a 90 point player. Should I use earlier seasons and not call him a 90 point player?

How am I being a contrarian? I asked a question about a declarative statement

You know that’s ridiculous. MacKinnon scored 90 pts for the first time in his age 22 season with the team that drafted him after being selected 1 OA. Miller didn’t have his 1st 90 pt season till year 28 and 3rd team. You’re now just being obtuse and oddly confrontational. None of which changes that COL isn’t trading Girard for rental Don Quixote.
Aug. 19, 2022 at 12:36 p.m.
Quoting: Warpbox
“Why do you cherry pick stats”
It’s his last 3 seasons. What do you think a better description of a player. The guy he is and has been for several years, or the guy he was four years ago?

Or the guy that if you trade for him isn’t playing the role in COL he has played in VAN but a role closer to what he played in TB. In COL he is what the 6th best player. I think to many people on CF they forget that players are worth a lot less to some teams and that those players aren’t going to produce like they did. This isn’t McDavid/Makar who gone on to any team and assume the same role no matter what.
Aug. 19, 2022 at 12:56 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: Xqb15a
Way to cherry pick that point stat. Because in his other 435 career games he has 237 points. Why does that matter? Well in TB and NY he wasn’t the top banana and not playing 20 minutes a game. He isn’t getting 20 minutes a game TOI in COL, he likely isn’t getting PP1 time in COL, so tell me why COL would trade a top 4 dmen locked up for his entire prime for a guy they have zero chance of signing. But congratulations you are taking to your role of resident COL contrarian very well.

For a contending team, it’s not important how good a player was 3+ years ago. They are not the same player as they were back then. That stat is not cherry picked at all. Those are his stats in Vancouver where he breakout as a player. That is the player who he is, not the player who got limited ice time on Tampa and Rangers teams.
Warpbox liked this.
Aug. 19, 2022 at 12:57 p.m.
Or the guy that if you trade for him isn’t playing the role in COL he has played in VAN but a role closer to what he played in TB. In COL he is what the 6th best player. I think to many people on CF they forget that players are worth a lot less to some teams and that those players aren’t going to produce like they did. This isn’t McDavid/Makar who gone on to any team and assume the same role no matter what.

He’d still play around 18 minutes a night in Colorado. It’s not like his ice time is going to be cut in half.
Aug. 19, 2022 at 12:57 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Girard is only considered a 3rd pair D on Colorado. He would instantly become Vancouver's #2 D and a solid option to play behind hughes. Cost certainty for the next 5 years as well.

The only problem is that we already have 2 offensive minded LHD signed for the next 5 years. Girard would not be a good partner for Hughes or OEL. We just need a d man that is good at defense
Aug. 19, 2022 at 1:05 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan

Miller would easily be our third-fourth best forward. He would be your 2C. I see no reason why he would get a limited role on the Avs.
Aug. 19, 2022 at 1:13 p.m.
Quoting: Juiceman
The only problem is that we already have 2 offensive minded LHD signed for the next 5 years. Girard would not be a good partner for Hughes or OEL. We just need a d man that is good at defense

This is fair and maybe I'll take a look at options from VAN perspective to make this work. I think the best argument is that Girard does provide a boost to their d-core anyway, I wouldn't necessarily consider Girard as an offensive-minded D and more of a possession-driving D. He is effective defensively by limiting defensive-zone time through quick breakouts/transitions and extending in zone-possession. VAN lacks talent in their D-core, and he brings that
Juiceman liked this.
Aug. 19, 2022 at 1:42 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
This is fair and maybe I'll take a look at options from VAN perspective to make this work. I think the best argument is that Girard does provide a boost to their d-core anyway, I wouldn't necessarily consider Girard as an offensive-minded D and more of a possession-driving D. He is effective defensively by limiting defensive-zone time through quick breakouts/transitions and extending in zone-possession. VAN lacks talent in their D-core, and he brings that

Definitely a great solid second pair d man, but I feel that everything he does, Quinn Hughes does better so his talent would be kind of redundant in Vancouver. I feel like if the Canucks were to trade Miller to the Avs, they would target Newhook. Not that the Avs would agree to that but that’s likely what Vancouver would want
Aug. 19, 2022 at 2:21 p.m.
Definitely a great solid second pair d man, but I feel that everything he does, Quinn Hughes does better so his talent would be kind of redundant in Vancouver. I feel like if the Canucks were to trade Miller to the Avs, they would target Newhook. Not that the Avs would agree to that but that’s likely what Vancouver would want

Just doesn’t make sense to the avs. They can’t keep miller, he is going yo want a better deal that kadri got. Avs trade Newhook and they are in a worse spot next year. No formal 2c and they don’t have a high end young player like Newhook to dream in that role.

They can’t or won’t trade Newhook until they know what they have in him as a 2c. Why shoot yourself in the foot long term trading him now
Juiceman and Xqb15a liked this.
Aug. 19, 2022 at 3:47 p.m.
Miller would easily be our third-fourth best forward. He would be your 2C. I see no reason why he would get a limited role on the Avs.

He wouldn’t easily be the 3rd best forward because MacK, Rantanen and Landeskog are all better. A very real chance he doesn’t play on PP1 because Makar is the point, MacK left wing, Rantanen right wing, Landeskog down low and Nichushkin or Lehkonen in the bumper. It is very valid to question Miller’s production in COL.
Aug. 19, 2022 at 3:51 p.m.
Quoting: Warpbox
He’d still play around 18 minutes a night in Colorado. It’s not like his ice time is going to be cut in half.

That’s fair but it is beyond contention that COL could absolutely NOT re-sign him so why would they use long term locked up young assets for a rental. Answer they wouldn’t. Like I’ve said all along, Miller’s a nice player but for COL he’s an expensive 2nd line player they can’t afford.
Aug. 19, 2022 at 4:02 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
He wouldn’t easily be the 3rd best forward because MacK, Rantanen and Landeskog are all better. A very real chance he doesn’t play on PP1 because Makar is the point, MacK left wing, Rantanen right wing, Landeskog down low and Nichushkin or Lehkonen in the bumper. It is very valid to question Miller’s production in COL.

That’s why I said third-fourth. I know the top line is good but after that, Miller is by far the best forward. He would also be on powerplay 1. Makes no sense to have Nichuskin and Lehkonen there when Miller is by far better in that position
Warpbox liked this.
Aug. 19, 2022 at 4:43 p.m.
That’s why I said third-fourth. I know the top line is good but after that, Miller is by far the best forward. He would also be on powerplay 1. Makes no sense to have Nichuskin and Lehkonen there when Miller is by far better in that position

He’s not playing in COL but if he did he wouldn’t play PP1 he would anchor PP2 because COL doesn’t need another shooter or playmaker on PP1.
Aug. 19, 2022 at 4:51 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
He’s not playing in COL but if he did he wouldn’t play PP1 he would anchor PP2 because COL doesn’t need another shooter or playmaker on PP1.

Miller can play bumper and net front
Warpbox liked this.
Aug. 21, 2022 at 3:59 p.m.
For Vancouver, they need to evaluating deals for Miller in terms of total future value. Yes, Miller will provide more value this year than Girard. But they can't afford to pay Miller's next contract and so the cumulative value of picking up a 3/4 D entering his prime years for 5 seasons outweighs having one season of Miller. conditional picks protect against Colorado re-signing Miller

For Vancouver, they need to evaluating deals for Miller in terms of total future value. Yes, Miller will provide more value this year than Girard. But they can't afford to pay Miller's next contract and so the cumulative value of picking up a 3/4 D entering his prime years for 5 seasons outweighs having one season of Miller. conditional picks protect against Colorado re-signing Miller

All true to one degree or another. They will likely get more “future” value elsewhere though. If that’s the only trade on the table, OK, but it won’t be. They need to hit a home run with a Miller trade. This wouldn’t be it.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll