Forums/Armchair-GM

Dobson Miller swap

Created by: GenXHockey
Team: 2022-23 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 22, 2022
Published: Aug. 22, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Yes I threw an obligatory kerfoot trade. Wondering what Vancouver fans think of the trade. I'm sure islanders fans won't like it.
Trades
VAN
  1. Kerfoot, Alexander
Additional Details:
Base trade
TOR
  1. Höglander, Nils
Additional Details:
Base trade
VAN
  1. Dobson, Noah
Additional Details:
Base trade
NYI
  1. Miller, J.T. ($2,625,000 retained)
  2. Myers, Tyler ($1,000,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Base trade
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$80,278,333$1,250,000$1,700,000$2,221,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$7,350,000$7,350,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$6,650,000$6,650,000
RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$4,125,000$4,125,000
C
UFA - 1
$4,950,000$4,950,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$855,833$855,833
RW
RFA - 4
$2,650,000$2,650,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LD
UFA - 5
Logo of the New York Islanders
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
RFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
UFA - 4
$7,260,000$7,260,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$762,500$762,500
G
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 22, 2022 at 5:14 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: UBS_ARENA
Says the fan of the team that gave marner 6 years and matthews 5 walking them straight to UFA and didnt even get a discount bc of it while lou has his entire d core for less than those 2 with the entire top 4 on team friendly aavs that also are either 8 year deals or RFA expiry. Lou has been in NYI 4 years and we've won 6 playoff series while TOR has 0. He hasnt lost his marbles youre just a bit resentful that he wasnt good with TOR and try to make him out to be the worst gm.

Islanders have continued to get worse under Lou's management. Yes dubas signed Matthews and marner while Lou was busy signing Martin, komarov, pageau...etc.
Aug. 22, 2022 at 5:29 p.m.
Seiders on the Storm
Quoting: GenXHockey
Islanders have continued to get worse under Lou's management. Yes dubas signed Matthews and marner while Lou was busy signing Martin, komarov, pageau...etc.

Lou got a 2nd in the Leddy trade with Detroit. He picked Raty. Could turn out to be a steal for Lou and look bad on Yzerman down the road.
Aug. 22, 2022 at 7:39 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: MoreHitzSeider
Lou got a 2nd in the Leddy trade with Detroit. He picked Raty. Could turn out to be a steal for Lou and look bad on Yzerman down the road.

He traded Toews, he loses. Lou's money to bottom to bottom 6 vets will always be his undoing. The game has changed and left him behind.
Aug. 22, 2022 at 8:03 p.m.
we miss leo k

He traded Toews, he loses. Lou's money to bottom to bottom 6 vets will always be his undoing. The game has changed and left him behind.

damn, did Lou piss in your cornflakes or something? every GM is gonna look out of touch if you just cherry pick the bad moves. for example: trading a 1st & two 4ths for 11 games of Nick Foligno (& one from Stefan Noesen, I guess), trading a 3rd for 4 David Rittich games, signing Petr Mrazek to 3x$3.8M and having to trade out of the 1st round to dump his deal after one season, swapping Mason Marchment for Denis Malgin (8 GP, 0 points), having to attach a 1st to Patrick Marleau to dump his deal.

Sounds like a terrible GM and not a guy who built a 115 point team when you do that, doesn't it?
Aug. 22, 2022 at 9:43 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
damn, did Lou piss in your cornflakes or something? every GM is gonna look out of touch if you just cherry pick the bad moves. for example: trading a 1st & two 4ths for 11 games of Nick Foligno (& one from Stefan Noesen, I guess), trading a 3rd for 4 David Rittich games, signing Petr Mrazek to 3x$3.8M and having to trade out of the 1st round to dump his deal after one season, swapping Mason Marchment for Denis Malgin (8 GP, 0 points), having to attach a 1st to Patrick Marleau to dump his deal.

Sounds like a terrible GM and not a guy who built a 115 point team when you do that, doesn't it?

Yes those were terrible moves (other than marchment and marleau those were fine moves) by dubas who's been slipping lately.

What has Lou done right? I'm sorry but bridging young players to give money to plugs isn't a recipe for success.

Marleau was Lou's fault and marchment was moved to give him a chance to play, he deserved better than spending another year in the marlies.

Mrazek was a flub, but I didn't hate the signing at the time.

Foligno was an absolute garbage move. Worthy of Lou.

Rittich was fine. We needed another goalie. Not sure what your issue is.

Things you missed:

1. Keeping broken Muzzin and letting the Sandin situation get out of control

2. Weak deadline moves. Just in general never gets that top 6 lW we always need.

3. Piss poor offseason, getting pillaged by the sens for murray, going after multiple cheap depth instead of the one player we needed.

Dubas is far from perfect. But Lou put his thumb in his ass the whole offseason.
Aug. 22, 2022 at 11:15 p.m.

Lmao pageau isnt a bad deal martin is 1.5 and komarov was a bad deal. As for getting worse really??? They won 1 playoff series in 24 years from '94 to '18 and then lou came in and they won 6 in the first 3 years. Im sorry you think the team is worse under lou but they arent theyre much better. And anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves.
Aug. 23, 2022 at 12:04 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: UBS_ARENA
Lmao pageau isnt a bad deal martin is 1.5 and komarov was a bad deal. As for getting worse really??? They won 1 playoff series in 24 years from '94 to '18 and then lou came in and they won 6 in the first 3 years. Im sorry you think the team is worse under lou but they arent theyre much better. And anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves.

Martin was 2.5m and Lou signed him and brought him over.

Pageau was a bad trade and a bad signing.

Toews was traded for two 2nds and then Lou paid 13oa to bring in a Dman that can't hold his jock strap.

Prioritizing vets over young talent in general.

I was glad he left Toronto. Marner nylander and Matthews were making less that 3m combined and he wasted 11m on marleau and zaitsev.

You just need to seperate Lou from your team and look at it objectively. I'm not ****ting on the islanders. Just Lou. Dubas is no hero either. Both these teams could be better if their GM's didn't make such blatant head scratching errors.
Aug. 23, 2022 at 9:18 a.m.
Martin was 2.5m and Lou signed him and brought him over.

Pageau was a bad trade and a bad signing.

Toews was traded for two 2nds and then Lou paid 13oa to bring in a Dman that can't hold his jock strap.

Prioritizing vets over young talent in general.

I was glad he left Toronto. Marner nylander and Matthews were making less that 3m combined and he wasted 11m on marleau and zaitsev.

You just need to seperate Lou from your team and look at it objectively. I'm not ****ting on the islanders. Just Lou. Dubas is no hero either. Both these teams could be better if their GM's didn't make such blatant head scratching errors.

Oh didnt realize you meant that martin deal. Like i said lou was not good with TOR. But you have to seperate TOR from NYI. The martin deal was signed with TOR. Toews was obviously a horrible trade but if covid doesnt happen theres enough cap for all 3.
As for romanov 22yo top 4 dmen dont go for cheap and that was a good trade. He also has shown his willingness to play youth. Interesting that trotz leaves and now between LD2 and LD3 in one season we get 40 years younger. Bellows gets 1.2 which means hes playing everyday and that probably comes at the expense of parise. Having trotz and babcock as your coaches isnt very condusive to playing youth.

This isnt a bad deal and it wasnt a bad trade.
Aug. 23, 2022 at 10:09 a.m.
we miss leo k
Yes those were terrible moves (other than marchment and marleau those were fine moves) by dubas who's been slipping lately.

What has Lou done right? I'm sorry but bridging young players to give money to plugs isn't a recipe for success.

Marleau was Lou's fault and marchment was moved to give him a chance to play, he deserved better than spending another year in the marlies.

Mrazek was a flub, but I didn't hate the signing at the time.

Foligno was an absolute garbage move. Worthy of Lou.

Rittich was fine. We needed another goalie. Not sure what your issue is.

Things you missed:

1. Keeping broken Muzzin and letting the Sandin situation get out of control

2. Weak deadline moves. Just in general never gets that top 6 lW we always need.

3. Piss poor offseason, getting pillaged by the sens for murray, going after multiple cheap depth instead of the one player we needed.

Dubas is far from perfect. But Lou put his thumb in his ass the whole offseason.

Didn't touch Muzzin/Sandin issue or Murray because neither is resolved and hey, they could turn out well! And I'll be honest, I don't remember the ins and outs of the 2021 season, but Rittich had been having a pretty meh season and went for way more than other meh goalies went for (Colorado gave up a 5th and Greg Pateryn for Devan Dubnyk, and a 6th for Jonas Johansson) - seeing as how Campbell and Andersen were both presumed good for the playoffs, I think it's a waste of a decent pick for him.

As far as what Lou's done right? I'd argue that, even if they didn't wind up winning a Cup from the deals, moving a late 2nd for Andy Greene after Adam Pelech tore his ACL in 2020 was a move that helped them make it as far as they did in the bubble playoffs. Trading for Palmieri the next season also worked well (Palmieri had 7 playoff goals in 2021 and the 1st they gave up turned into Chase Stillman who does not look all that good!) Getting value back for Nick Leddy when everyone in the league knew they were trying to dump his $5.5M was a definite win. And you have to give him some credit for doing whatever work had to be done to get Ilya Sorokin to come over from the KHL.

I get part of where you're coming from, though, I was frustrated with the lack of anything happening this summer. But I will also give credit to him for not panicking and making a dumb move (*coughkadricough*) after striking out on the supposed guys he was after. I'd rather run it back and hope for a more normal season this year than add another overpaid over-30 winger, so some credit to Lou for not making a move for the sake of making a move.
Aug. 23, 2022 at 12:42 p.m.
H.Lindholm Lover
Isles fans are, dementia Lou is licking his chomps. Although I do admit it should be pulock over Dobson. Someone pointed out that Lou us too pompous to trade away a top player he drafts and I agree.

please dont put the image of lou licking his lips in my head
GenXHockey liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll