SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Detroit Red Wings signed Filip Zadina (3 Years / $1,825,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 26, 2022 at 6:11 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: BCAPP
I didn't know he was "Detroit's guy". Was this a last second switch? From what I remember (though I didn't pay that much attention that year) I thought Svech and Zadina (in that order) were the two European forwards expected to go after consensus Dahlin. Looking back I see both were listed as North American Players by central scouting as it appears they played junior in North America. So maybe I misremember, but I do remember being surprised he fell to 6, when I expected him to go 3 or 4.

If Im remembering it correctly, Hughes was Detroits guy potentially to the extent that they told him they would pick him if he was available at 6. Zadina was not expected to be available at 6, and his drop from the top 5 made DET reconsider. I can see why they chose him, but time has not been kind to that decision.
BCAPP and PrisonBull liked this.
Aug. 26, 2022 at 6:23 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Canesfan21_
He needs to start scoring this year, new coach, better talent around him, no more excuses

One problem hes gonna be on the 4th line so thats not gonna help him with the scoring as I doubt he plays ahead of Bertuzzi, Raymond, and Kubalik
Aug. 26, 2022 at 6:42 p.m.
torontos finest
mid player gets mid money
Aug. 26, 2022 at 7:07 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Thought this would be a one year deal at that AAV, Stevie Y working his magic again
Aug. 26, 2022 at 9:17 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: aadoyle
Gonna give Van a break cause of Benning being a braindead GM

But yeah thats pretty bad. Some would say could have had Tkachuck but I got a feeling he would just end up in Florida anyways which actually would be huge for Van as Huberdeau and Weegar (especially Weegar) would be huge assets for the Canucks rn and Huberdeau would basically guarantee Van trading Miller for big assets.

Ha, if Benning had scored in the 2016 1st round the team likely wouldn't have been able to draft Hughes, or Podkolzin down the line. When looking in retrospect at how a draft class turns out, there eventually has to be a trade off when projecting theoretical outcomes
PrisonBull liked this.
Aug. 26, 2022 at 9:18 p.m.
Banned
One problem hes gonna be on the 4th line so thats not gonna help him with the scoring as I doubt he plays ahead of Bertuzzi, Raymond, and Kubalik

Zadina won't play 4th line, he'll play 3rd line with Kubalik, likely centered by Suter. It will be Rasmussen who will drop down to the 4th line
Aug. 26, 2022 at 9:19 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Zuki9797
Thought this would be a one year deal at that AAV, Stevie Y working his magic again

Outperforming this new contract isn't very a high bar though
zk97 liked this.
Aug. 26, 2022 at 9:23 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Knuckl3s
Ha, if Benning had scored in the 2016 1st round the team likely wouldn't have been able to draft Hughes, or Podkolzin down the line. When looking in retrospect at how a draft class turns out, there eventually has to be a trade off when projecting theoretical outcomes

In general to me if we look losing out on Podkolzin but having someone like Ehlers, Nylander, Larkin, Vrana, Kempe,Tuch, Sanheim would have been better

True but then they would have had say Larkin in 2014, McAvoy in 2016, and who knows for 17, 18, 19 and beyond
Aug. 26, 2022 at 9:30 p.m.
Banned
In general to me if we look losing out on Podkolzin but having someone like Ehlers, Nylander, Larkin, Vrana, Kempe,Tuch, Sanheim would have been better

True but then they would have had say Larkin in 2014, McAvoy in 2016, and who knows for 17, 18, 19 and beyond

No guarantee that Podkolzin pans out to be an inferior player to all of those guys. Yeah, if the scenario you suggested played out, who knows, but they most likely take inferior players in those drafts compared to whom the team actually took. Can say that with a good amount of confidence
Aug. 26, 2022 at 9:38 p.m.
Could be a huge value contract if Zadina gets his stuff together. If Zadina is a late bloomer, I could bet money that Tampa will pay an exorbitant price to get him.
Aug. 26, 2022 at 11:46 p.m.
yotes own canada
this guy is such a bum cant do anything
Aug. 27, 2022 at 12:47 a.m.
Quoting: Nathaniel
If Im remembering it correctly, Hughes was Detroits guy potentially to the extent that they told him they would pick him if he was available at 6. Zadina was not expected to be available at 6, and his drop from the top 5 made DET reconsider. I can see why they chose him, but time has not been kind to that decision.

That makes sense and matches my memory too! Lol
Aug. 27, 2022 at 12:49 a.m.
Quoting: mondo
mid player gets mid money

That's not mid money
zadara liked this.
Aug. 27, 2022 at 5:39 a.m.
That's not mid money

True. $82.5mm/23 = $3.59mm
BCAPP liked this.
Aug. 27, 2022 at 11:26 a.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
STEAL! Zadina is highly underrated
Aug. 27, 2022 at 1:41 p.m.
Quoting: Nathaniel

That makes sense and matches my memory too! Lol

so much revisionist history going on in this thread... a lot of fans wanted Quinn, but Holland and Co. were known to be targeting Evan Bouchard at 6. Zadina was consistently ranked top 4 in the class, so when ARI and MTL chose to address positional needs (centres Hayton and Kotkaniemi respectively) over consensus best player available, Zadina fell into Hollands lap and was considered a steal.

Hindsight is always 2020 when drafting 18 year old prospects, right now Zadina is not the 6th best player to come out of the 2018 draft, but he's still young and has shown us glimpses of what his ceiling is. I'm giving him 2 years under Lalonde's system to figure out his game before I make any final judgement on what he'll be as a player.
Aug. 27, 2022 at 2:12 p.m.
Quoting: TSTTrocks
so much revisionist history going on in this thread... a lot of fans wanted Quinn, but Holland and Co. were known to be targeting Evan Bouchard at 6. Zadina was consistently ranked top 4 in the class, so when ARI and MTL chose to address positional needs (centres Hayton and Kotkaniemi respectively) over consensus best player available, Zadina fell into Hollands lap and was considered a steal.

Hindsight is always 2020 when drafting 18 year old prospects, right now Zadina is not the 6th best player to come out of the 2018 draft, but he's still young and has shown us glimpses of what his ceiling is. I'm giving him 2 years under Lalonde's system to figure out his game before I make any final judgement on what he'll be as a player.

So glad my memory holds true. He was the other European winger with svech then?
Aug. 27, 2022 at 4:59 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: TSTTrocks

" I can see why they chose him, but time has not been kind to that decision."
Aug. 28, 2022 at 2:04 p.m.
So glad my memory holds true. He was the other European winger with svech then?

correct
BCAPP liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit