Forums/Armchair-GM

LA Trade

Created by: audiodave
Team: 2022-23 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 25, 2022
Published: Aug. 29, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
LA has lots of RD and needs some LD. Vancouver is set on LD and needs RD. I think it's a good old fashion hockey trade.
Trades
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$78,786,667$1,250,000$2,082,500$3,713,333
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,650,000$6,650,000
RW
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$7,350,000$7,350,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$891,667$891,667 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$4,125,000$4,125,000
C
UFA - 1
$4,950,000$4,950,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$2,650,000$2,650,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
LW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LD
UFA - 5
$850,000$850,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
UFA - 4
$7,260,000$7,260,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
G
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$847,500$847,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RD
RFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 29, 2022 at 1:08 a.m.
The Kings are lacking at size on defense. Grans is their only large defensive prospect. I don't think they're interested in trading him.
Aug. 29, 2022 at 1:13 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I think that this is an entirely reasonable trade. Given the development of Sean Durzi and Jordan Spence with Brandt Clarke coming up, I think that Helge Grans might be available (just as Brock Faber was) and I can see us taking the gamble on Jack Rathbone.
audiodave and majormoose007 liked this.
Aug. 29, 2022 at 1:14 a.m.
Quoting: tkecanuck341
The Kings are lacking at size on defense. Grans is their only large defensive prospect. I don't think they're interested in trading him.

Clarke has size and is ahead of Grans on their depth chart IMO.
OldNYIfan and majormoose007 liked this.
Aug. 29, 2022 at 1:16 a.m.
I've proposed this same trade before and Kings fans have said no. Personally I am not sure I would make it if I were Vancouver, every NHL affiliated prospect list I have seen has Rathbone rated higher than Grans, but Grans does fit a need.
Aug. 29, 2022 at 1:26 a.m.
There is absolutely no chance the Canucks are going to trade a future star in the making in Jack Rathbone.......Watched him play in Abbotsford last season and he is the real deal and going to be a dynamic defenceman in the NHL.
remowilliams liked this.
Aug. 29, 2022 at 1:36 a.m.
Quoting: TML_Tika
There is absolutely no chance the Canucks are going to trade a future star in the making in Jack Rathbone.......Watched him play in Abbotsford last season and he is the real deal and going to be a dynamic defenceman in the NHL.

It's likely he will be a good defenseman in the NHL, but he plays LD, and we need RD. He would be stuck as the 3rd pair LD on the Canucks for years while our RD isn't good enough. Grans has the potential to be a really good partner for Hughes which is our biggest need.
Aug. 29, 2022 at 2:40 a.m.
MajorMoose
I wouldn't be opposed to this. I really like Rathbone but there's a clear logjam on the left side and one of Dermott, Truscott, Pettersson or Jurmo can step into that 3rd pair role nicely
OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 29, 2022 at 3:29 a.m.
Quoting: audiodave
Clarke has size and is ahead of Grans on their depth chart IMO.

Brandt Clarke is 6'2", 185 lbs. Helge Grans is 6'4", 205 lbs. Clarke isn't small, but he doesn't have the size that Grans does.

Clarke might eventually be ahead of Grans on the depth chart, but he's not there yet. Grans just had a very solid professional season in the AHL and will likely see some games in the NHL this coming season. Clarke will play at least another season in junior before he's ready for professional hockey.
Aug. 30, 2022 at 12:24 a.m.
It's likely he will be a good defenseman in the NHL, but he plays LD, and we need RD. He would be stuck as the 3rd pair LD on the Canucks for years while our RD isn't good enough. Grans has the potential to be a really good partner for Hughes which is our biggest need.

I'm getting tired of listening to all this right defence crap.........Its not a big deal to move a quality left defenceman to play on the right side like Brodie on the Leafs.

Canucks should move OEL to right and play him with Hughes and solve the problem and elevate Rathbone into the line-up.........Getting tired of listening to Stand Pat Allvin and Retired Rutherford and all their lame excuses.......These two guys have a million excuses.
Aug. 30, 2022 at 12:32 a.m.
I'm getting tired of listening to all this right defence crap.........Its not a big deal to move a quality left defenceman to play on the right side like Brodie on the Leafs.

Canucks should move OEL to right and play him with Hughes and solve the problem and elevate Rathbone into the line-up.........Getting tired of listening to Stand Pat Allvin and Retired Rutherford and all their lame excuses.......These two guys have a million excuses.

And I'm tired of Toronto fans thinking that Kerfoot, Muzzin and Holl have trade value, but we deal with it because other people are allowed to have opinions too. If you are tired of hearing about how the Canucks need RD then don't read the posts, no one is forcing you to be here.

The Canuck could move OEL to the right side, but he plays better on the left side, so I say leave him there. I'd rather Allvin do nothing than make a bad trade just to do something.
Knuckl3s liked this.
Aug. 30, 2022 at 12:36 a.m.
Quoting: tkecanuck341
Brandt Clarke is 6'2", 185 lbs. Helge Grans is 6'4", 205 lbs. Clarke isn't small, but he doesn't have the size that Grans does.

Clarke might eventually be ahead of Grans on the depth chart, but he's not there yet. Grans just had a very solid professional season in the AHL and will likely see some games in the NHL this coming season. Clarke will play at least another season in junior before he's ready for professional hockey.

I doubt either see any NHL games with LA this year unless they have a lot of injuries. Doughty, Roy, Walker, Durzi and Spence are all ahead of them on the RD depth chart .
Knuckl3s liked this.
Aug. 30, 2022 at 1:00 a.m.
I doubt either see any NHL games with LA this year unless they have a lot of injuries. Doughty, Roy, Walker, Durzi and Spence are all ahead of them on the RD depth chart .

With Edler becoming longer in the tooth, I suspect we'll see two of those guys on the left side this season for an extended stretch of games.
Aug. 30, 2022 at 2:37 a.m.
And I'm tired of Toronto fans thinking that Kerfoot, Muzzin and Holl have trade value, but we deal with it because other people are allowed to have opinions too. If you are tired of hearing about how the Canucks need RD then don't read the posts, no one is forcing you to be here.

The Canuck could move OEL to the right side, but he plays better on the left side, so I say leave him there. I'd rather Allvin do nothing than make a bad trade just to do something.

The Canucks are actually my second favourite team.......However, I am very frustruated with Stand Pat Allvin and Retired Rutherford because they talk big but never deliver anything.

I was getting sick of listening to Retired Rutherford talk about the Canucks poor defensive exits and then again when he and Stand Pat Allvin took so long to resign Boudreau........Boudreau actually saved both Stand Pat Allvin and Retired Rutherford by turning a terrrible team around and its star players.

Time for Stand Pat Allvin and Retired Rutherford to actually start delivering and make a hockey trade.

I can't believe they have not resigned Miller or traded him yet...........If he gets injured .....his trade value will be zero..........Stand Pat Allvin and Retired Rutherford are scared to make a bold move......because they know if it backfires.....they will be on the hotseat.
Aug. 30, 2022 at 11:49 a.m.
Ex Nucks fan

Give me a list of "excuses" they have made. They were given a roster with bad defense, barely any good prospects, and pretty much no capspace. How much do you expect them to do in one offseason?
Knuckl3s liked this.
Aug. 31, 2022 at 12:46 a.m.
Quoting: Juiceman
Give me a list of "excuses" they have made. They were given a roster with bad defense, barely any good prospects, and pretty much no capspace. How much do you expect them to do in one offseason?

Retired Rutherford critized the Canucks for having terrible defensive zone exits under Boudreau......which in reality was total garbage.....but set the expectation that he was going to make some improvements to the Canucks defence......which he has done nothing this offseason.......total joke.

Retired Rutherford from the moment he arrived......preached and told us how the Canucks need to create some capspace........and to date the Canucks are actually over the Cap and have made no moves to create more capspace....total joke.

Stand Pat Allvin and Retired Rutherford then failed to get JT Miller extended or traded this offseason.......Now they are playing Russian Roulette with JT Miller......one injury and they will blow their chance to move him and bring a quality younger player and draft choices and rebuild the team.........I would have thought retired Rutherford would have learned something by how Sakic made a bold move and traded off an older star to Nashville to rebuild the Avs.

The reality of the situation, is that the Canucks are a part time job for Retired Rutherford and he is commuting back and forth from his home in Carolina on the East Coast to Vancouver and is not fully invested in the team.
Aug. 31, 2022 at 12:52 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Retired Rutherford critized the Canucks for having terrible defensive zone exits under Boudreau......which in reality was total garbage.....but set the expectation that he was going to make some improvements to the Canucks defence......which he has done nothing this offseason.......total joke.

Retired Rutherford from the moment he arrived......preached and told us how the Canucks need to create some capspace........and to date the Canucks are actually over the Cap and have made no moves to create more capspace....total joke.

Stand Pat Allvin and Retired Rutherford then failed to get JT Miller extended or traded this offseason.......Now they are playing Russian Roulette with JT Miller......one injury and they will blow their chance to move him and bring a quality younger player and draft choices and rebuild the team.........I would have thought retired Rutherford would have learned something by how Sakic made a bold move and traded off an older star to Nashville to rebuild the Avs.

The reality of the situation, is that the Canucks are a part time job for Retired Rutherford and he is commuting back and forth from his home in Carolina on the East Coast to Vancouver and is not fully invested in the team.

1. Our defensive zone exits are HARD CARRIED by Hughes. We need to rely on more than 1-2 d men.

2. Look at the league. Almost everybody is capstrapped, moving cap is hard. Would you rather us give up a very valuable draft pick to dump salary? You ok with going another year without a first round pick or second round pick

3. We still have a lot of time to trade JT Miller. The offseason isn't overThere are still 3 weeks until training camp. Just because you impatient, doesnt mean the offseason is a failure.
audiodave and Knuckl3s liked this.
Aug. 31, 2022 at 11:55 p.m.
Quoting: Juiceman
1. Our defensive zone exits are HARD CARRIED by Hughes. We need to rely on more than 1-2 d men.

2. Look at the league. Almost everybody is capstrapped, moving cap is hard. Would you rather us give up a very valuable draft pick to dump salary? You ok with going another year without a first round pick or second round pick

3. We still have a lot of time to trade JT Miller. The offseason isn't overThere are still 3 weeks until training camp. Just because you impatient, doesnt mean the offseason is a failure.

I agree with your points.

The Canucks need to retool around the young core of Hughes, Petterson, Demko, Boeser, Podkolzin.

I am okay with keeping some veternans like OEL and Horvat.....but think JT Miller needs to be moved out if he will not resign a reasonable contract......and I would also move out Pearson, Meyer, Poolman and elevate Rathbone.

I also have big question marks around Garland and Hoglander and probably okay if they are also moved out.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll