SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(VGK/SJS) - 4th for Hill

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 29, 2022 at 9:32 p.m.
Edited Aug. 29, 2022 at 9:39 p.m.
Ok 4th for what Knights feel will fill the gap in goal seems reasonable.

The bigger question is how the heck will VGK ever become Cap Compliant at 10 million over the Cap? Seriously, with all the big money in NMC/NTC players I don’t see how they’ll manage it.

I’d they’re in a jam I guess we’d take Eichel back to help them out if we also got a 2023 1st round pick (LOL)
Aug. 29, 2022 at 9:33 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: Devil
How long before Adin Hill gets traded for future considerations?

At the trade deadline
OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 29, 2022 at 9:57 p.m.
Quoting: Zuki9797
i think its a win-win trade, VGK gets a goalie (that they may trade next season for a bag of pucks) that they need right now, sharks get a pick and put an end to their goalie carousel

They traded a 2nd and a goalie prospect for Adin Hill less than a year ago yet turn around, and only get a 4th on a rebuilding club. That isnt how you rebuild!
OldNYIfan liked this.
Aug. 29, 2022 at 9:58 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
So bad asset management from SJ, you paid a 2nd for him last year and now get a 4th, ouch, fair deal for both, I guess Broissoit’s LTIR too?

It's bad pro scouting, but good asset management.

They acquired a player. The player then failed them. They managed to recoup an asset for a failing player because they waited out the market, and a team came up who needed a player in that position. If Vegas doesn't need a goalie, Hill goes on waivers at training camp. Either they lose Hill for free, or worse, he clears and they have to waste cap (which is an asset) on Hill, who would play in the AHL and has a contract larger than is able to be buried.
FanOfAllTeams, Ritzy, Kjell_Forsman and 3 others liked this.
Aug. 29, 2022 at 10:12 p.m.
Quoting: jpsnow13
Why is Grier helping a divisional opponent?!?!

At least make them overpay, gosh...

Because GM's don't think about this a tiny fraction as much as fans do (and people seem to think GM's do on this site).

GM's don't care about "helping another team out of their trouble", beyond the leverage it gives them.
Sportnilsson and Jrroisman liked this.
Aug. 29, 2022 at 10:15 p.m.
FanOfAllTeams
Just happy to see another trade
Aug. 29, 2022 at 10:36 p.m.
How long before Hill ends back up on Arz ?
Aug. 29, 2022 at 11:05 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: BCAPP
Because GM's don't think about this a tiny fraction as much as fans do (and people seem to think GM's do on this site).

GM's don't care about "helping another team out of their trouble", beyond the leverage it gives them.

You can argue that Vegas are the ones who helped San Jose more than San Jose helped Vegas.

There was clearly no market for Hill up until Vegas became desperate for a goalie. Even buried, Hill would cost San Jose about a million in dead cap (more in real cash). That's salary that San Jose can bank throughout the season. There are bound to be opportunities to do something with it. Whether that is acquiring rentals, acting as a third party to retain at the deadline, or acquiring a good player from a team that needs to dump cap to facilitate a different move.

Hill was San Jose's worst goalie. He isn't a solution for Vegas, he's their best bad option.
Ritzy, yikes, OldNYIfan and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 30, 2022 at 12:36 a.m.
Vegas lucked out losing Lehner for the season. Dude is a mess, just like the rest of the organization, I suppose.
Aug. 30, 2022 at 9:21 a.m.
Quoting: BCAPP

I think GMs may actually like helping out other teams. It’s good for the relationship. Are you going to want to deal with a guy who’s always trying to fleece you?

Each trade has to make sense on its own merit – I don’t think a GM would help another GM just as a personal favour – but the best trades are those that help both teams. When you want to trade a surplus player, the first GM you’re going to call is probably the one you think you can help the most.

There was a time when GMs were reluctant to deal with divisional rivals. I still think that’s a bad idea, but the GMs don’t seem to care anymore. You have to beat more than one team to win the cup, so I guess they figure if they help one other team, that’s ok as long as it gives them an advantage over the other 30.
BCAPP liked this.
Aug. 30, 2022 at 9:41 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Just poor asset management by SJS but Grier didn’t acquire Hill and he was put into another situation where he had to make a hard decision.

I vote fair because how can you blame Grier for a Wilson/ Burke trade.
OldNYIfan, poeticentropy, sensonfire and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 30, 2022 at 10:13 a.m.
to be banned soon
Quoting: Devil
How long before Adin Hill gets traded for future considerations?

before the roster freeze in december
Aug. 30, 2022 at 10:20 a.m.
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
They traded a 2nd and a goalie prospect for Adin Hill less than a year ago yet turn around, and only get a 4th on a rebuilding club. That isnt how you rebuild!

The difference is they didn’t have Kahkonen then. A player’s trade value isn’t absolute. It depends on the need and the market at the time. Even if it was absolute, it would change over time as he ages and adds to his body of work. I’m not saying I think it was a good trade when San Jose got him last year, but getting back less than what they gave up for him a year ago doesn’t necessarily make this a bad trade.

We knew that San Jose was going to trade a goalie, but I expected it would be Reimer because I thought they could have got more for him, as I think he brings more value at $2.25M cap hit for one year than Hill at $75,000 less. But this makes sense if they’re not in full rebuild mode and didn’t want to weaken their goaltending going into this season, and Reimer might be worth more at the deadline when he could make a nice insurance policy for a playoff team with the Sharks retaining half of his salary.
Jrroisman liked this.
Aug. 30, 2022 at 10:52 a.m.
Catch me in corners
Gotta love this for Vegas and Hill.

Vegas gets low cap tendy with strong upside. Hill is heading into a contract year and with a team miles better than before - he could end up getting PAID.
Aug. 30, 2022 at 11:49 a.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: JDawgg
Gotta love this for Vegas and Hill.

Vegas gets low cap tendy with strong upside. Hill is heading into a contract year and with a team miles better than before - he could end up getting PAID.

This is a bit optimistic.

Lots of teams were looking for goalies in a market with not a lot of options. Hill was likely available this entire time at a minimal cost, and none of the goalie needy teams acquired him.

It's possible he fixes whatever is wrong in his game, or is a better match for a different system. It wouldn't be the first time a goalie put it together in their late 20s. But there is no real indication that this is likely.

Vegas didn't have many options for a goalie they could plug and play for 1 year who wouldn't cost a lot in cap or assets. There really wasn't anything else on the market, which is why San Jose somehow managed to get a pick instead of giving one up to shed the contract. I doubt Vegas is super high on Hill.
Jrroisman liked this.
Aug. 30, 2022 at 12:42 p.m.
Mr.
FINALLY! Finally i can stop seeing delusional Habs fans sending Allen to Vegas. Thank you hockey gods!
Aug. 30, 2022 at 4:26 p.m.
Quoting: jr400
The difference is they didn’t have Kahkonen then. A player’s trade value isn’t absolute. It depends on the need and the market at the time. Even if it was absolute, it would change over time as he ages and adds to his body of work. I’m not saying I think it was a good trade when San Jose got him last year, but getting back less than what they gave up for him a year ago doesn’t necessarily make this a bad trade.

We knew that San Jose was going to trade a goalie, but I expected it would be Reimer because I thought they could have got more for him, as I think he brings more value at $2.25M cap hit for one year than Hill at $75,000 less. But this makes sense if they’re not in full rebuild mode and didn’t want to weaken their goaltending going into this season, and Reimer might be worth more at the deadline when he could make a nice insurance policy for a playoff team with the Sharks retaining half of his salary.

It's a 4th round pick. You realize that the odds of that pick becoming an NHL'r are less than 5%??!
Ppl really like to overvalue draft picks as if they move the needle. It's lipstick on a pig of a trade.
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 30, 2022 at 7:21 p.m.
sen krak fan
VGK win. But now I kinda feel bad for Hill.
Aug. 30, 2022 at 8:12 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: oilersfan150
Knights win this trade imo but there goaltending is still horrible.

Hill is an average backup. But Thompson could surprise and be a solid starter.

This could entirely turn into one of the better 1A 1B tandems in the west.
Aug. 31, 2022 at 11:17 a.m.
It's a 4th round pick. You realize that the odds of that pick becoming an NHL'r are less than 5%??!
Ppl really like to overvalue draft picks as if they move the needle. It's lipstick on a pig of a trade.

Exactly. A 4th round pick isn’t much. They should have been able to get more for Reimer.

I only partly agree with you on the value of draft picks though. You’re right that most of them turn out to be worthless, and even in the first round a lot of them don’t pan out, but while the value of a single draft pick isn’t much, you still need them. If you were to trade away all your draft picks, you’d be limited to free agents and players you can trade for. It would be interesting to see how well such a strategy would work – you probably could acquire a lot of talent from trading all your draft picks – but with the salary cap I don’t think it would work very well, because the draft is where you’re going to find your bargain players.

Draft picks are a bit like lottery tickets. Most of them are worthless, but the more you have, the better the odds that you’ll win something. The only sure thing is that you won’t win anything if you don’t have a ticket.
Sep. 4, 2022 at 3:36 a.m.

Think about mid to low round picks as currency instead of actual bodies. Maybe you want to trade up in the second round and a third + a fourth gets you there.

Once on a great while you land a gem, but much more likely you can use buckets of low picks for trades or moving around the draft.
Oct. 8, 2022 at 6:45 p.m.
hi
So hill instead of Reimer
May 15, 2023 at 6:33 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
So... VGK wins this trade... A 4rth for 2 wins in the 2nd round is worth it IMO
Saskleaf and Laniccal liked this.
May 16, 2023 at 12:29 a.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
So... VGK wins this trade... A 4rth for 2 wins in the 2nd round is worth it IMO

The goalie carousel that is Vegas is kinda mesmerizing. No clue what they will do in the offseason either. Thompson, Hill, Broissoit, and Lehner all in the mix possibly.
Leafsfan98 liked this.
May 16, 2023 at 7:33 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: HockeyScotty
The goalie carousel that is Vegas is kinda mesmerizing. No clue what they will do in the offseason either. Thompson, Hill, Broissoit, and Lehner all in the mix possibly.

Fair, but a goalie acquired for a 4rth coming in a making a ton of big saves to propel you into the 3rd round is a deal worth making tbh
HockeyScotty liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit