Forums/Armchair-GM

My take Opening Night

Created by: AZWings
Team: 2022-23 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 26, 2022
Published: Aug. 30, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Here I'm bumping Zadina up to the 2nd line with Vrana because when Vrana was healthy they had some great chemistry. Centered with Copp they could be a really high-scoring line.

This leaves Suter centering a 3rd line with Kubalik and Perron which distributes scoring even more down to the 3rd line.

Keeping Velano as the 4th line center and scratching Erne. Ras on the PP but playing wing where I think he probably belongs.

Assumes that neither Edvinsson nor Berggren pop enough to make the team out of training camp.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the STL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$71,023,056$0$3,775,000$11,476,944

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$2,375,000$2,375,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NTC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$2,625,000$2,625,000
LW
UFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$1,825,000$1,825,000
RW, LW
RFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,460,000$1,460,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
RFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,750,000$4,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$4,750,000$4,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 30, 2022 at 1:56 p.m.
Seiders on the Storm
I've said this before but Perron is too good of a player to be playing 3rd line. It's been too long since the Red Wings had a legit top 6. Now that we have one do we really want to risk Zadina bringing it down?

I understand wanting to get Zadina going. I also understand he does have some chemistry with Vrana. But Zadina needs to learn how to be able to produce no matter where he's placed.

Remember when Franzen started as a 4C and worked his way up the lines to be a top 6 winger? A player has to earn his spot. Not have it given to him. Hope is not a plan and I'm not interested in punishing Perron and promoting Zadina. Because Zadina isn't better than Perron. He just isn't.
IDKtbh and Octopus_Guy liked this.
Aug. 30, 2022 at 2:37 p.m.
Datsyukian
I agree with this 100%
Aug. 30, 2022 at 2:40 p.m.
Datsyukian
Quoting: MoreHitzSeider
Remember when Franzen started as a 4C and worked his way up the lines to be a top 6 winger? A player has to earn his spot. Not have it given to him. Hope is not a plan and I'm not interested in punishing Perron and promoting Zadina. Because Zadina isn't better than Perron. He just isn't.

First off, this never happened. Second, Zadina had great chemistry with Vrana, and that is what we want. The designation of line is completely meaningless.
Aug. 30, 2022 at 2:52 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
I've said this before but Perron is too good of a player to be playing 3rd line. It's been too long since the Red Wings had a legit top 6. Now that we have one do we really want to risk Zadina bringing it down?

I understand wanting to get Zadina going. I also understand he does have some chemistry with Vrana. But Zadina needs to learn how to be able to produce no matter where he's placed.

Agreed. As nice as it sounds to have the luxury of having Perron on the 3rd line, creating a very formidable top 9, it would likely take something special from Zadina in the pre-season for that scenario to unfold.

Perron was likely brought in with the expectation of playing top 6 minutes and the power play. Needless to say, based on this essentially new regime, however the roster shakes out will be indicative of who performs best in whatever role they’re in.

I could def see this lineup if, and only if Zadina steps up majorly. I don’t really see that happening but, it could.

As far as the defense goes, I liked what I saw early on in the WJC from Edvinsson but as the tournament progressed he started to look rather pedestrian. I saw that he got food poisoning or something and had an injury as well but, I came away with tempered expectations of him in regards to making the Wings out of camp. He should probably start the year with the Griffins.

Hagg or Oesterle on the left side of the 3rd pairing is whatever. I’d probably prefer Hagg there.

I favor Ned but the goalie tandem will probably be very close to a 50/50 split.
Aug. 30, 2022 at 2:56 p.m.
Seiders on the Storm
Edited Aug. 30, 2022 at 3:10 p.m.
Quoting: IDKtbh
Agreed. As nice as it sounds to have the luxury of having Perron on the 3rd line, creating a very formidable top 9, it would likely take something special from Zadina in the pre-season for that scenario to unfold.

Perron was likely brought in with the expectation of playing top 6 minutes and the power play. Needless to say, based on this essentially new regime, however the roster shakes out will be indicative of who performs best in whatever role their in.

I could def see this lineup if, and only if Zadina steps up majorly. I don’t really see that happening but, it could.

As far as the defense goes, I liked what I saw early on in the WJC from Edvinsson but as the tournament progressed he started to look rather pedestrian. I saw that he got food poisoning or something and had an injury as well but, I came away with tempered expectations of him in regards to making the Wings out of camp. He should probably start the year with the Griffins.

Hagg or Oesterle on the left side of the 3rd pairing is whatever. I’d probably prefer Hagg there.

I favor Ned but the goalie tandem will probably be very close to a 50/50 split.

Yeah Edvinsson was just ok in the WJC. But it's a small sample size. He'll get his opportunity in training camp. He wasn't the only highly regarded prospect who didn't really impress. Cooley for example. I didn't notice him too much for Team Canada.

I really do hope Zadina succeeds but I see him improving a bit but not much. I'd love to be wrong. Hopefully our new head coach doesn't juggle lines as much as Blender Blashill did. It would be nice to have some continuity.
Aug. 30, 2022 at 3:11 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Yeah Edvinsson was just ok in the WJC. But it's a small sample size. He'll get his opportunity in training camp. He wasn't the only highly regarded prospect who didn't really impress. Cooley for example. I didn't notice him too much for Team Canada.

I really do hope Zadina succeeds but I see he him improving a bit but not much. I'd love to be wrong. Hopefully our new head coach doesn't juggle lines as much as Blender Blashill did. It would be nice to have some continuity.

Cooley def flashed some skill but kinda looked a bit overzealous at times and it’s easy to be overshadowed on a Canada roster like that. I was disappointed Kasper didn’t suit up for Austria.

Zadina is a bit of an enigma. He’s praised and/or touted as having this elite or above average shot but, I have yet to see it. He does have a decent shot though, nothing to write home about. The thing I notice with him and his shot is what I’ve come to see from shooters that are lacking confidence. His shots routinely are direct hits onto the goalie. The goalies never really have to move to make the save on his shots.

The “blistering” shots I’ve seen from him that have hit top corner have usually been deflections off of the defender’s stick and it just appears to be a goal scorer’s goal but it wasn’t.

Idk, I think he’s kinda been holding the bat a little too tight and has looked scared to mess up or something. His issues def appear to be 100% in his own head so, hopefully Lalonde has a good therapist on his staff.
Aug. 30, 2022 at 3:19 p.m.
Seiders on the Storm
Cooley def flashed some skill but kinda looked a bit overzealous at times and it’s easy to be overshadowed on a Canada roster like that. I was disappointed Kasper didn’t suit up for Austria.

Zadina is a bit of an enigma. He’s praised and/or touted as having this elite or above average shot but, I have yet to see it. He does have a decent shot though, nothing to write home about. The thing I notice with him and his shot is what I’ve come to see from shooters that are lacking confidence. His shots routinely are direct hits onto the goalie. The goalies never really have to move to make the save on his shots.

The “blistering” shots I’ve seen from him that have hit top corner have usually been deflections off of the defender’s stick and it just appears to be a goal scorer’s goal but it wasn’t.

Idk, I think he’s kinda been holding the bat a little too tight and has looked scared to mess up or something. His issues def appear to be 100% in his own head so, hopefully Lalonde has a good therapist on his staff.

Zadina is a logo hunter like Mikael Samuelsson was. Lots of pucks hitting the goalie's chest. Every once in awhile Zadina will score a nice goal from a beautiful shot. And I'll wonder why he can't do this more often? He's definitely pressing because he knows what's expected of him.

I'm still cheering for Zadina because he's clearly trying. And his game away from the puck has really improved. But maybe he's just a 3rd liner? Can Stevie live with that?

GM's usually favour the players they draft. They get more rope so to speak. Look at his son, Adam Erne. I just don't know how much rope Zadina has in Detroit. Stevie did give him a 3 year deal so perhaps he thinks more of Zadina than I do.

Lalonde is definitely going to be like a breath of fresh air for all Red Wings players. 😁 Unfortunately, he seems to love using the word "process" too. ☹️
IDKtbh liked this.
Aug. 30, 2022 at 3:22 p.m.
Stats Are For Losers
Zadina is a logo hunter like Mikael Samuelsson was. Lots of pucks hitting the goalie's chest. Every once in awhile Zadina will score a nice goal from a beautiful shot. And I'll wonder why he can't do this more often? He's definitely pressing because he knows what's expected of him.

I'm still cheering for Zadina because he's clearly trying. And his game away from the puck has really improved. But maybe he's just a 3rd liner? Can Stevie live with that?

GM's usually favour the players they draft. They get more rope so to speak. Look at his son, Adam Erne. I just don't know how much rope Zadina has in Detroit. Stevie did give him a 3 year deal so perhaps he thinks more of Zadina than I do.

Assuming he improves marginally over the life of that contract, and gets 15 goals this year, 17 next and 19 in the 3rd year; $1.825m isn’t bad for that kind of production. On the 3rd line tho.
Aug. 30, 2022 at 3:25 p.m.
Seiders on the Storm
Assuming he improves marginally over the life of that contract, and gets 15 goals this year, 17 next and 19 in the 3rd year; $1.825m isn’t bad for that kind of production. On the 3rd line tho.

I'd be fine with that production. I just don't want to see another 10 goals in 82 games including 3 empty netters.
IDKtbh liked this.
Aug. 30, 2022 at 3:54 p.m.
Datsyukian
First off, your response is completely irrelevant. Second, gain some hockey knowledge troll. Ignore list you go. You're simply not worth talking to.

Lol...
Aug. 31, 2022 at 2:24 a.m.
If you swap Zadina for Perron and Oesterle for Hägg you have the most likely roster on opening night and much of the season until the TDL.

Perron scores more than twice as much as Zadina does and there's no way that Filip will push him to the 3rd line.

Oesterle was the worst defender on the team last year bar Stecher in all metrics, even DDK was better. Unless further injuries happen, Oesterle is firmly fixed to the #7 spot.
Aug. 31, 2022 at 5:31 p.m.
A player has to earn his spot. Not have it given to him. Hope is not a plan and I'm not interested in punishing Perron and promoting Zadina. Because Zadina isn't better than Perron. He just isn't.

Zadina with Suter & Vrana: GF/60 4.97 GA/60 .91 (topped only by Larkin/Raymond/Z)
Zadina with Suter and Fabbri: GF/60 1.16 GA/60 2.06 (most TOI together)

Perron with Saad & O'Reilly GF/60 2.17 GA/60 1.36. (most TOI together)

So it seems to me that if you put Zadina with higher quality players, you get higher output.
Sep. 1, 2022 at 5:00 p.m.
In addition to the Perron - Zadina comments above, I also wouldn't be surprised if Erne starts on the wing with Ras centering the line and Veleno playing in GR. Depends how well his training camp goes, but with the depth they have now, they can give him more time in the AHL to develop his offensive game rather than give him low minutes on the 4th line.

Also for special teams, Copp will 100% be on the pk. He is one of the best pk'ers in the league. I also wouldn't be surprised if Bertuzzi and/or Suter play on the PK instead of Larkin/Sun/Veleno. Also, there is a good chance Perron is PP1, but not sure who gets knocked down to PP2.
AZWings liked this.
Sep. 2, 2022 at 11:04 a.m.
Quoting: North_Kariya
In addition to the Perron - Zadina comments above, I also wouldn't be surprised if Erne starts on the wing with Ras centering the line and Veleno playing in GR. Depends how well his training camp goes, but with the depth they have now, they can give him more time in the AHL to develop his offensive game rather than give him low minutes on the 4th line.

Also for special teams, Copp will 100% be on the pk. He is one of the best pk'ers in the league. I also wouldn't be surprised if Bertuzzi and/or Suter play on the PK instead of Larkin/Sun/Veleno. Also, there is a good chance Perron is PP1, but not sure who gets knocked down to PP2.

Yeah, I can see Velano being in GR just because of his waiver status and thus Copp on the PK and Erne on the wing.

Plus, the possible depth on the PP is awesome...for the first time in years. smile

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll